• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima tweets: "What I prepared minutely spending a year became meaningless."

RevDM

Banned
Ra1den said:
Well if you read his later posts you will see he is claiming that the gameplay portion is 4 hours long, so he was not just exaggerating. Anybody that played the game knows this is not the case for a regular playthrough, but it would be unfortunate if people that haven't played it read that and get turned off by it.

As for the identity crisis, I am not sure what you are referring to specifically, but I did not get that impression at all. The country hopping was new for the series, but the presentation and plot was consistent throughout. I do prefer the standard formula of one setting only which MGS 1-3 had, but I wouldn't call this an identity crisis.

It is not an exaggeration. I have beat MGS4 multiple times and I can complete the story mode on normal while skipping cut scenes in about 4 hours (might be more, but definitely less than 5 hours).

daffy

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
And that in and of itself is not a big deal! The problem becomes that too many of the cutscenes were just, well, boring. In MGS3, I felt invested and excited by the goings-on. In MGS4, it felt like a pop-culture junkie was directing his student film with a Michael Bay-esque budget.
So the Big Mama "Patriots" monologue didn't have you gasping for air?

what-everrr

dark10x said:
Some of his games deliver better gameplay than anything Mikami has ever done (save RE4). Most of Mikami's games are clunky as hell.

I'm not in this camp, but plenty of people argue that MGS controls are clunky and complicated. they make good points.

and vanquish is one of the smoothest games ever.

Angry Fork

RevDM said:
It is not an exaggeration. I have beat MGS4 multiple times and I can complete the story mode on normal while skipping cut scenes in about 4 hours (might be more, but definitely less than 5 hours).
You can beat most games in that time if you went for it and memorized everything. I think the real time to consider is your very first playthrough. I think anyone claiming 4 hours gameplay on their very 1st playthrough is lying through their teeth (not saying you are, just saying trolls in general), and if they did beat it that quickly then it must've been on low difficulty or they rushed through it.

I think my personal 1st playthrough time was 16-18 hours (including cutscenes of course, but I don't know how much those are in total). I took the time to be stealthy always, viewed surroundings etc., at least for the first 2-3 act's where this was possible. And MGS4 is particularly fun/rewarding on the highest difficulty and if you go for the emblems.

rvy

Banned
Ra1den said:
The MGS titles and Z.O.E. titles have some of the best gameplay you'll find in their respective genres. Why don't you give some examples of better mech games than Z.O.E. 2 or better stealth games than MGS 3?
Creating a paradox because he seems so intent on limiting gameplay segments as much as possible. Snake Eater/Subsistence and Peace Walker feel more like the exception than the rule.
The man creates the most ridiculous plots ever, his dialog is crappy and anecdotal unless someone like Blaustein is doing the translation and, yet, he wants people to praise him for his faults rather than his virtues. Either that or he's a sadist. Glorified B-movie director and great game designer, it's a shame he doesn't seem very happy about the latter.

I'm not touching the Z.O.E games, I never found out who directed those, but I don't think it was him.

dark10x said:
Some of his games deliver better gameplay than anything Mikami has ever done (save RE4). Most of Mikami's games are clunky as hell.
Now I've read everything.

You can beat most games in that time if you went for it and memorized everything. I think the real time to consider is your very first playthrough. I think anyone claiming 4 hours gameplay on their very 1st playthrough is lying through their teeth (not saying you are, just saying trolls in general), and if they did beat it that quickly then it must've been on low difficulty or they rushed through it.

My first playthrough lasted about... 6 hours worth of actual gameplay. 3 out of those were fun. About 12 or 13 hours worth of cutscenes though. Bad, cringe-worthy, over the top cutscenes.

Ra1den

RevDM said:

Well I didn't claim its not possible, I said its not a typical playthrough. There is plenty of stuff to do in that game, and the only way its gonna be completed in several hours is if your ignoring most of it. Also it is highly recommended to play that game on the harder or hardest difficulties, which take longer generally. Also, of course the time will be much shorter if you have already played the game and know exactly what to do everywhere.

Aand...quality over quantity. :) There wasn't any annoying backtracking or other tricks to give the game added length, so it was constantly engaging.

BigBoss

to rvy:

There's 9-10 hours worth of cutscenes in MGS4 so if you subtract your total playtime(which I'm guessing was around 18 hours) from the cutscene time you get about 8-9 hours worth of gameplay on your first time through MGS4. Not the longest game in the world but pretty average compared to other games released this gen.

shuyin_

Banned
robor said:
He's not trolling, he's stating the facts. Trolling in your eyes is just a defense mechanism for your hero who you'll bow down to through thick and thin.
So MGS3 is 3 hours of gameplay and 20 hours of cutscene? Are you drunk?
Everyone likes to use hyperboles but it's not the case anyway.

If (that's a pretty big if) you would've played MGS3 you would've known there's plenty of gameplay time and the ratio of gameplay vs. cutscene isn't anywhere near to equal, or in favor of cutscenes.

dark10x said:

...and have stories as equally goofy.

I say that with love for both Mikami and Kojima. :)

rvy

Banned
BigBoss said:
to rvy:

There's 9-10 hours worth of cutscenes in MGS4 so if you subtract your total playtime(which I'm guessing was around 18 hours) from the cutscene time you get about 8-9 hours worth of gameplay on your first time through MGS4. Not the longest game in the world but pretty average compared to other games released this gen.
Did you.. like record times and stuff? Because my gut is telling me those numbers are off. My first playthrough was about 18 hours, like you said, but the gameplay/cutscenes ratio felt way worst than those other numbers. I remember blazing through the last acts very quickly and the first 2 act taking the most time up. Maybe I played the game wrong or something, that's an extra 3 hours of gameplay that I don't remember.

RevDM

Banned
shuyin_ said:
So MGS3 is 3 hours of gameplay and 20 hours of cutscene? Are you drunk?
Everyone likes to use hyperboles but it's not the case anyway.

If (that's a pretty big if) you would've played MGS3 you would've known there's plenty of gameplay time and the ratio of gameplay vs. cutscene isn't anywhere near to equal, or in favor of cutscenes.

I wasn't talking about mgs3, I love that game. I was talking about mgs4.

Ra1den

rvy said:
Creating a paradox because he seems so intent on limiting gameplay segments as much as possible. Snake Eater/Subsistence and Peace Walker feel more like the exception than the rule.
The man creates the most ridiculous plots ever, his dialog is crappy and anecdotal unless someone like Blaustein is doing the translation and, yet, he wants people to praise him for his faults rather than his virtues. Either that or he's a sadist. Glorified B-movie director and great game designer, it's a shame he doesn't seem very happy about the latter.

I'm not touching the Z.O.E games, I never found out who directed those, but I don't think it was him.

My first playthrough lasted about... 6 hours worth of actual gameplay. 3 out of those were fun. About 12 or 13 hours worth of cutscenes though. Bad, cringe-worthy, over the top cutscenes.

Theres no paradox, I'm asking for other games in similar genres that do a better job with the gameplay. Its not just MGS 3 that's excellent, all the MGS titles had excellent gameplay. MGS 3 just so happens to be the pinnacle, IMO.

BigBoss said:

BigBoss laying down the truth. Vic Boss! :)

shuyin_

Banned
RevDM said:
I wasn't talking about mgs3, I love that game. I was talking about mgs4.
Well, you attacked Kojima but didn't specify any game.
If you meant MGS4 you should've said so, and not 'a game' like you did in that vitriol filled post.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I don't think something got canned. Maybe he wanted to be the first to show the PS3-PSP-NGP "connected" game, since he's been talking about that a lot.

RevDM

Banned
shuyin_ said:
Well, you attacked Kojima but didn't specify any game.
If you meant MGS4 you should've said so, and not 'a game' like you did in that vitriol filled post.

I still think Kojima is a dipshit, don't get me wrong.

shuyin_

Banned
Ra1den said:
Theres no paradox, I'm asking for other games in similar genres that do a better job with the gameplay. Its not just MGS 3 that's excellent, all the MGS titles had excellent gameplay. MGS 3 just so happens to be the pinnacle, IMO.
Agreed; for me, best in the series is a tie between MGS3 and MGS1

RevDM said:
From what pov? As a person or as a game designer? As a game designer, the 1st 3 MGS games (and Snatcher and others he designed) stand as arguments against your opinion.

As a person, i don't know. Didn't meet him :p

Riddick

RevDM said:

Yeah, you can do that with any 10 or more hour game. What's your point?

RevDM said:

Oh, nevermind, you're just trolling.

rvy

Banned
Ra1den said:
There aren't many, and that's the point. If the gameplay is so great, why does he continually try to hide it and force you to watch dumb cutscenes? Hell, MGS 2 had such great gameplay that the Substance extra stuff was fun enough on its own.
Can you imagine what would happen to Michael Bay if he tried to stop showing off big ass explosions and cool special effects to focus on the script? Same thing.

shuyin_

Banned
rvy said:
There aren't many, and that's the point. If the gameplay is so great, why does he continually try to hide it and force you to watch dumb cuitscenes? Hell, MGS 2 had such great gameplay that the Substance extra stuff was fun enough on its own.
Can you imagine what would happen to Michael Bay if he tried to stop showing off big ass explosions and cool special effects to focus on the script? Same thing.
Wat? Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but you think that Kojima uses cutscenes to hide gameplay? :/ .... :/

Dude, seriously?

RooMHM said:
Really?! Guys, you need to stop thinking that everything happens by chance ... I mean, when you're famous and you tweet (in english), it has a purpose ... really.
Kojima tweets in English all the time about nothing.

rvy said:
There aren't many, and that's the point. If the gameplay is so great, why does he continually try to hide it and force you to watch dumb cuitscenes? Hell, MGS 2 had such great gameplay that the Substance extra stuff was fun enough on its own.

Are you serious?

shuyin_ said:
Wat? Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but you think that Kojima uses cutscenes to hide gameplay? :/ .... :/

Dude, seriously?
No, he's saying that the gameplay is so good that the cutscenes only detract, but that the cutscenes won't be going away because they've become a series trademark in much the same way explosions have become a Michael Bay trademark. Read the whole post again.

Ra1den

rvy said:

He's not hiding anything. There's plenty of gameplay to be had, and plenty of cutscenes to be had, and each are an Integral (heh) part of the experience.

rvy

Banned
valentine71 said:
Are you serious?
Why wouldn't I be? His gameplay feels like banging the hottest woman you've ever seen, but his cutscenes feel like the booze created said woman only for you to wake up the following morning next to your 80 year old fat grandma, who suffers from terrible acne and you forgot to strap jimmy on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I had forgotten about Vanquish, which does control well.

Everything he directed up until RE4 was extremely clunky. All of the RE games, PN03, Dino Crisis, etc. RE4 and Vanqusih play very well, though I'd argue that the later MGS games are no less clunky than RE4. God Hand played well enough but wasn't as polished as RE4 or Vanquish.

Really, Vanquish is the only Mikami game that offers truly outstanding controls.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

This is nothing new. Mikami's games usually feature nonstandard control schemes that have to be learned and that turns people off.

You even see that complaint with RE4 despite the game being so widely well received by so many people

The only exception to this among games he's directed is Vanquish,(which adopted standard TPS control scheme in an attempt to appeal to broader audience) but in that case there is a group of people that complain it was too unoriginal instead. lol

rvy said:
Why wouldn't I be? He's gameplay feels like banging the hottest woman you've ever seen, but his cutscenes feel like the booze created said woman only for you to wake up the following morning next to your 80 year old fat grandma, who suffers from terrible acne and you forgot to strap jimmy on.

Nevermind, my mistake with your post. I misunderstood it.

whoa so much arguing in this thread lol.

i just wanted to say i think MGS4 is one of the best games ever, for several reasons(i pretty much bought the special ps3 edition just for the game), and MGS series overall is my favorite of all time. and i don't think im a minority either, i mean for the longest time ever people were crying for a mgs4 360 port and trophies(which i dont get since the game has pretty much in-game trophies)..and in other forums ppl still make posts about it.

not to mention MGS4 was GAF's GOTY for the year it released :D

926596_20080521_screen017.jpg

good times :p

My first MGS4 playthrough was 29 Hours lol
Though it was my 1st PS3 game, and my 1st standard OTS control scheme game, plus I played it on Hard and tried to savor every moment, though it might have been idling for an hour or two, can't remember...

Yen

Ra1den said:
There are some more tweets up on his JP twitter account, anybody with good JP skills wanna translate?
"My game may have been cancelled but the new Twilight movie comes out soon. I have a reason to live again."

rvy

Banned
Yenrot said:
"My game may have been cancelled but the new Twilight movie comes out soon. I have a reason to live again."
He can't be serious. This Twilight stuff was funny the first time around.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a terrible game. It does have good gameplay for the 1st two chapters and then the game throws that away. But the first two chapters aren't even enough. Chapter 1 takes place on a Battlefield and almost sells what you thought were the mechanics in this game, then realize the Sneaking on the battlefield thing is half assed as this fraction stuff means noting. Then the 2nd chapter, which is shorter, happens and you are just forced into the rebel fraction. This level does have an awesome part of Sneaking into a base that is under siege, thats what this game needed more about. Then you have a real boring follow the trail part and chapter 2 is over. Next you have the incredibly poor and boring chapter 3. The terrible chapter 4. And lastly the terrible chapter 5 that is only 3 area's basically.

Now compare this to MGS3. That game felt long and you were sneaking in different places, with some areas being quite large. Ton's of variety and the game felt like it explored it's mechanics. It was satisfactory with it's gameplay. A great game, with a good story. A story that was easy to follow and intriguing as it had set up an interesting plot with the Boss. The dynamics, you wanted to see where it was going. The game had fun bosses as well. All in all it was a great game.

MGS4 though does not feel long. Thanks to the ratio of cutscenes you feel like you are watching more and the gameplay segments don't feel that long. There is variety in the game , but stuff like chapter 3 just sucks and I myself never felt the Battlefield Sneaking mechanics were explored at all and that what I thought MGS4 was going to bring to the table. The story is bad and takes a crap on characters. It's convluted and just feels like pure wankry. Add in the fact of magic nanomachines and you have a plot that can not carry this game like MGS3. The bosses are all pretty terrible and boring, few have any personality or do anything unique.

Rahxephon91 said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 is a terrible game. It does have good gameplay for the 1st two chapters and then the game throws that away. But the first two chapters aren't even enough. Chapter 1 takes place on a Battlefield and almost sells what you thought were the mechanics in this game, then realize the Sneaking on the battlefield thing is half assed as this fraction stuff means noting. Then the 2nd chapter, which is shorter, happens and you are just forced into the reb

e wankry. Add in the fact of magic nanomachines and you have a plot that can not carry this game like MGS3. The bosses are all pretty terrible and boring, few have any personality or do anything unique.

Oh, you again...

Riposte

While the bosses of MGS4 lacked personality (aside from returning characters), I think there were plenty of good boss fights. I also liked the Act 4 for its focus on stealth and Act 5 was decent, but short. It is really only the third act where the game is thrown away in favor of cutscenes. Boring and long trailing part(what a waste of an environment...) and car chase, followed by the lamest boss of the game. Mind you that doesn't excuse the cutscene heaviness of it.

Are we sure some fiance of his didn't dump him?

Top Bottom