• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima tweets: "What I prepared minutely spending a year became meaningless."

RooMHM

FTH said:
A year's reservation?

Hideo gotta eat

It was an off kilter Twitter post that no one really should've noticed. He's made several of them just as vague as this one. A Gaffer just thought it would be cool to speculate is all.

Really?! Guys, you need to stop thinking that everything happens by chance ... I mean, when you're famous and you tweet (in english), it has a purpose ... really.

Ra1den

RevDM said:
Hideo Kojima is a doucebag. Maybe if he would make a game thats more than 3 hours of gameplay and 20 hours of cutscenes he'd get more respect.

You obviously don't know shit about MGS.

rvy

Banned
Momo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyUShtcn94

EDIT: My point being Snatcher is much more of a narrative piece than MGS, yet it is considered by most to be a masterpiece. The MGS cutscene problem is blown right out of proportion. It doesnt really have that much, it's most likely the content of the cutscenes themselves that annoys you not the volume.
It's the fact that I want to interact with the game. But yeah, the content also annoys me.

Also, Random Hajile is awesome.

Momo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyUShtcn94

EDIT: My point being Snatcher is much more of a narrative piece than MGS, yet it is considered by most to be a masterpiece. The MGS cutscene problem is blown right out of proportion. It doesnt really have that much, it's most likely the content of the cutscenes themselves that annoys you not the volume.
There is a 30 minute cutscene at one point in MGS4. It is the poster boy for narrative excess. Still enjoyed the gameplay, but it badly needed some fat trimmed from the narrative, the pacing is terrible.

Spaulding

Always-honest said:
he was probably working on MGS4 trophies for a year

You might be onto something here...
He was working on trophies for the PSP Remaster and suddenly the news broke that the remake won't support trophies...

daffy

Banned
RooMHM said:
Really?! Guys, you need to stop thinking that everything happens by chance ... I mean, when you're famous and you tweet (in english), it has a purpose ... really.
Go read his twitter.

hmmm, wait! That tweet about the talk show appearance is a subtle hint at the number of cutscences in Rising!

edit:
c8N0k.png

Subtle, but this mo fo is onto something..

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
RooMHM said:
All his tweets are auto translated.
He's depressed because a passion project just got canned and he's looking for an outlet, I assume. He's kept his fans informed on the status of the project, so if it now looks grim, it would be wrong not to let those awaiting it know.
Why are you so against Kojima?

Spaulding said:
He was working on trophies for the PSP Remaster and suddenly the news broke that the remake won't support trophies...

The PSP remasters won't have trophies confirmed? :(

RooMHM

Krev said:
All his tweets are auto translated.
He's depressed because a passion project just got canned and he's looking for an outlet, I assume. He's kept his fans informed on the status of the project, so if it now looks grim, it would be wrong not to let those awaiting it know.
Why are you so against Kojima?

He talks too much, is grinding success of his first MGS and keep making disapointing things since then. That's enough for you?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
FTH said:
Go read his twitter.

hmmm, wait! That tweet about the talk show appearance is a subtle hint at the number of cutscences in Rising!

edit:
c8N0k.png

Subtle, but this mo fo is onto something..

All his tweets about the weather are RISING related.

Angry Fork

RooMHM said:
He talks too much, is grinding success of his first MGS and keep making disapointing things since then. That's enough for you?
Almost everything he talks about on twitter is related to food. Once in a blue moon he mentions stuff about his projects and then it's posted here, giving people the impression that that's all he talks about.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RooMHM said:

Someone obviously hasn't played MGS3:Subsist.

Hint: It's the best game of all time for the PS2.

AAK

Isn't he the vice president of Konami now? How outrageous must have his idea been for the company to shoot it down.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
More like he has been working on something for a year, then saw MW3 trailer, and now he feels that what he is working on is not good.

sajj316

Kojima - presents new IP

Konami brass - no, no, no we want Peace Walker part of PSP remasters. While you're at it, bring MSG2 and MSG3 as part of an HD collection!

Kojima - but, but, but ..

Konami brass - know your role and shut your mouth!

Ra1den

Most of the time, the people that complain about MGS cutscenes are not even fans of the games. The actual MGS fans don't see the cutscenes as a negative aspect.

If you look at a similar series like Splinter Cell, you'll find the cutscenes are not as long and less frequent, with gameplay similar to and some may say superior to MGS gameplay. Why is it then, that Splinter Cell games have nowhere near the reverence of the MGS titles? Does anybody care about the original Splinter Cell, right now, in the same way people still adore the original MGS?

The reason is the story and characters of MGS...and by extension the "long" cutscenes. Nobody would care about them the same way they do, without the long cutscenes and codec calls which build up character personalities that actually seem human. Short, infrequent cutscenes that most games employ can not achieve this on the same level as the MGS style.

So it is the long cutscenes that are actually one of the main reasons for the MGS series staying power and classic status, and if Kojima caved into shallow people with ADHD that always need to be twiddling the joystick, the series would be nowhere near as beloved as it is today. It would just be another game that is fun when it is new and cutting edge, and loses appeal after a few years...like about 95% of games being released today.

RevDM

Banned
Ra1den said:
Most of the time, the people that complain about MGS cutscenes are not even fans of the games. The actual MGS fans don't see the cutscenes as a negative aspect.

If you look at a similar series like Splinter Cell, you'll find the cutscenes are not as long and less frequent, with gameplay similar to and some may say superior MGS gameplay. Why is it then, that Splinter Cell games have nowhere near the reverence of the MGS titles? Does anybody care about the original Splinter Cell, right now, in the same way people still adore the original MGS?

The reason is the story and characters of MGS...and by extension the "long" cutscenes. Nobody would care about them the same way they do, without the long cutscenes and codec calls which build up character personalities that actually seem human. Short, infrequent cutscenes that most games employ can not achieve this on the same level as the MGS style.

So it is the long cutscenes that are actually one of the main reasons for the MGS series staying power and classic status, and if Kojima caved into shallow people with ADHD that always need to be twiddling the joystick, the series would be nowhere near as beloved as it is today. Itr would just be another game that is fun when it is new and cutting edge, and loses appeal after a few years...like about 95% of games being released today.

That's fine, my point is I'm not willing to pay $60 to watch a movie. If you skip all the cutscenes and play MGS4 on normal you can get through the game in about 4 hours or less. Long cutscenes can be fine as long as there is a proportionate amount of gameplay.

I found there to be plenty of gameplay in MGS4. Not sure what people are on. Yeah, there's tons of cutscenes, but there's also plenty of gameplay.

webrunner

Ra1den said:
The actual MGS fans don't see the cutscenes as a negative aspect.

Depends on which cutscenes you're talking about.

The 1.5 hour cutscene between acts 3 and 4 and the 45 minute mid-credits sequence in MGS4 are pretty goddamn ridiculous even for fans, and not just for the length.

Ra1den said:

If you look at a similar series like Splinter Cell, you'll find the cutscenes are not as long and less frequent, with gameplay similar to and some may say superior to MGS gameplay. Why is it then, that Splinter Cell games have nowhere near the reverence of the MGS titles? Does anybody care about the original Splinter Cell, right now, in the same way people still adore the original MGS?

So it is the long cutscenes that are actually one of the main reasons for the MGS series staying power and classic status, and if Kojima caved into shallow people with ADHD that always need to be twiddling the joystick, the series would be nowhere near as beloved as it is today. It would just be another game that is fun when it is new and cutting edge, and loses appeal after a few years...like about 95% of games being released today.

You tell them...whoever you're talking to!
Seriously, this is the thread for this rant?

Someone in another thread said that it was probably referring to his pickled plums (or some other food item) that he's been tending to for about a year now. I don't know if there was any basis in that statement, though. It's probably food related, anyway.

Ra1den said:

If you look at a similar series like Splinter Cell, you'll find the cutscenes are not as long and less frequent, with gameplay similar to and some may say superior MGS gameplay. Why is it then, that Splinter Cell games have nowhere near the reverence of the MGS titles? Does anybody care about the original Splinter Cell, right now, in the same way people still adore the original MGS?

I think it's absurd to suggest you can't be a fan of a series if you express disappointment in some aspects of it. I think it's insulting to call people who were bored, confused, or offended by the anime-troped convoluted mess that was MGS4s story as "ADHD patients." And while the stories of the early SC games may not be memorable, I'd argue the gameplay has held up much better than the first two MGS games.

shit no :( that sounds really bad.

i can't even imagine what it feels like to work on something for an entire year and then learn it was for nothing..

stay strong Kojima.

daffy

Banned
Ra1den said:

David-Hayter.jpg

I agree somewhat, but here??

Spaulding said:

Hah, but seriously, Peace Walker already has a full trophy system called Insignias. It wouldn't take more than a few days to patch that in to PS3 trophies if it was possible.

rvy

Banned
Ra1den said:

Juniors gonna jun.

All this Trophies crazy-talk is making me moody.

Ra1den

I was not personally a fan of the changes Kojima made with the style of cutscene directing for MGS4. I think the cutscenes, for the first time in the series history, got a bit cliche in some spots. And yes some of those were longer than they had to be.

But the topic of cutscene length VS gameplay length came up, so I responded in that regard. I never said MGS4 was flawless or that fans cannot take issue with aspects of it...I'm referring to the entire idea of balancing cutscenes with gameplay. The idea that some have that cutscenes should inherently take a backseat to gamplay in every game is flawed, I believe.

Lots of quality games are nothing but text with no "gameplay" to speak of. And the reverse is true, lots of quality games have pure gameplay with no story. And most games fall somewhere in between...so if some are weighted more heavily on the story side, I don't see that as a design flaw, but a design choice. Each person can decide if that style of game is suitable for them, but talking about it like it's inherently bad design is narrow minded.

onken

As much as I love the guy, he's a huge drama queen. He probably forgot to feed his tamagotchi or something.

TheExodu5

Banned
RevDM said:
That's fine, my point is I'm not willing to pay $60 to watch a movie. If you skip all the cutscenes and play MGS4 on normal you can get through the game in about 4 hours or less. Long cutscenes can be fine as long as there is a proportionate amount of gameplay.

I usually hate cut scenes and story in video games, but MGS is one of the few I enjoy. Not because it's good, coherent, or well written. I enjoy it due to the absurdity of it all. Same goes for Devil May Cry 3.

sajj316 said:
Kojima - presents new IP

Konami brass - no, no, no we want Peace Walker part of PSP remasters. While you're at it, bring MSG2 and MSG3 as part of an HD collection!

Kojima - but, but, but ..

Konami brass - know your role and shut your mouth!
This is a weird place to make this stand, but

I wanted to point out how completely sick of these hypothetical game industry dialogue posts I am. They're pretty much never funny, often heavily reliant on memes, and the same point could be expressed more intelligently by just saying it out loud rather than putting it in this weird form.

The "Iwata: [laughs]" ones are particularly grating.

Ra1den said:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

[Nintex]

ShockingAlberto said:

I wanted to point out how completely sick of these hypothetical game industry dialogue posts I am. They're pretty much never funny, often heavily reliant on memes, and the same point could be expressed more intelligently by just saying it out loud rather than putting it in this weird form.

Yeah I agree, they're quite stupid.

epmode

AAK said:
Isn't he the vice president of Konami now? How outrageous must have his idea been for the company to shoot it down.
Yeah, I bet it was something insane like a game not related to Metal Gear in any way.

rvy

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

ShockingAlberto
is too reasonable
for this forum

(Today, 03:45 PM)

*Iwata laughs*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ether_Snake said:
More like he has been working on something for a year, then saw MW3 trailer, and now he feels that what he is working on is not good.
If he was making an FPS, and it was that, BF3 trailer would have done that long time ago as it was much more impressive.

Top Bottom