• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

History of FROM software [IGN] & where to next?

Solid read over at IGN. Having not known any of their other titles besides the Souls series and BB, it was very educating for me.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/16/the-history-of-from-software?page=1

From Software is hard to escape these days. The studio is well-known as the developers of the beloved and challenging Dark Souls, Demon’s Souls, and the upcoming Bloodborne. They’ve elevated From Software from mere cult status to the brink of game-industry stardom, and the developer’s rise did not go unnoticed. Last May, the massive Kadokawa Corporation acquired From as part of their expanding video-game empire.

Yet From Software crafted games long before Demon’s Souls thrust them into the limelight. The company’s history runs through the very first PlayStation RPGs, stealth-fueled ninja series, rabbit-themed puzzle games, and a wealth of giant robots. Even now, as Bloodborne looms and dominates From’s image, there’s more to the company.

“King's Field refused to take it easy on players—a tactic that From Software would maintain decades later."​

As Bloodborne nears and From Software grows more and more devoted to the descendants of Demon’s Souls, some may lament the developer’s new focus. There doesn’t seem to be room in From’s current schedule for anything but Souls games and Armored Core, plus the occasional anime license. Yet a look through From’s history reveals a company willing to innovate precisely when a safe bet was in hand; the early success of King’s Field led to Armored Core, and the stability of Armored Core led back to Demon’s Souls. It may not be long before From Software tries something new once again.

Of particular note for me is the bolded text above. FROM is no longer seemingly producing "niche" titles. The rise of the "die until you master/learn to win" -styled indie games and the Souls games are definitely something to behold. I know older games used to be like this, but somewhere along the way, copious amounts of checkpoints and "save anywhere" games began to take over, it feels like. It feels like a mini-renaissance is occuring where the "masochist," if you will, type of game is making a comeback. FROM seems to be spearheading the movement with their titles.

So... Where to next?

Are they as big and popular as Naughty Dog, for example? Maybe not. But it seems like a lot of people are giving their games more and more attention, and Bloodborne's critically acclaimed release is only bringing them more into the spotlight. I guess the question then becomes: What's next? Though I guess that would be anyone's guess, really. Can the Souls-style genre keep innovating with yet another entry? Is there room for another release of a similar styled game in the next two years or so? Where do you see FROM going to next?

'Niche' seems like it's determined after-the-fact

If everyone had been WAY into Armor Core that they would have been an industry leader earlier. What they create was the kind of game we didn't see much anymore in Demon's Souls. A style of game so forgotten I guess that they are basically running the game on the genre.

takoyaki

Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne 2 are fine by me.

Other than that, giving Shadowtower another shot might be interesting.

My dream project would be another Tenchu game with a Souls-like combat system, focused on backstabbing and a level structure similar to the Souls games. You start out in the outskirts of a castle town, move through the villages, climb the castle walls and make your way to a feudal lord in the big living tower inside the castle. Maybe combined with magic elements from Japanese folklore, a bit like Onimusha.

Another Metal Wolf Chaos pls.

456714-mwc_wp1_1024.jpg

Fitts

I've never actually played a King's Field game, but knowing what I do about them it probably wouldn't be a good idea to give them a go now. I would be greatly interested in playing a modernized one, though.

Mupod

I find it funny that every year or so it feels like I realize From was behind yet another old game I liked and didn't know the developer of. Blew my mind when I found out they were behind Echo Night: Beyond, for example.

But yeah new armored core please. And not crap like 5 was.

low-G

'Niche' seems like it's determined after-the-fact

If everyone had been WAY into Armor Core that they would have been an industry leader earlier. What they create was the kind of game we didn't see much anymore in Demon's Souls. A style of game so forgotten I guess that they are basically running the game on the genre.

Armored Core never reached 'Quake' status. They were niche. Now the world is niche.

ElfArmy177

My take being a FROM fan from literally day one as my all time favorite series being kings field?

Create a new kings field game in first person without the use of the soul system. Keep it separate from the souls series, continue the kings field lore, keep the difficulty and the 100% open world. Ditch coop and multiplayer as it takes away from the sense of "dread and alone feeling" that makes kings field so amazing. No flashy skyrim shit, keep combat based on realism and timing.

Then make a new armored core based on coop, fast paced and keep it as difficult as armored core has always been. Update the graphics, ditch the "smaller mechs" from the last game, emphasis on PvP/coop, as well as increase the customization.

Continue the chromehounds game as a side project as a multiplayer only game called "armored core: Chromehound" as a PvP only ftp or buy to play with an emphasis on tfc style marketing and shop. (Hawken is shit because it doesn't require teamwork). Keep the global war style gameplay and institute clan wars in a similar fashion. Keep the "tank" only style gameplay from the last so it doesn't feel like a fast paced armored core.

Then create a technu game based on a souls type COMBAT, but nothing further from the souls series. No respawning enemies or bonfires/lanterns, keep a story based simply on single player. Allow players to customize their ninjas and base the levels off semi-procedural creation so the level never looks the same and you constantly have to update your "infiltration plan". Institute an assassins creed style climbing system without the assassins creed combat (too easy).

number47

They did a bunch of armored core. Hard game so you had to customize a lot. Reminds me of bloodborne. No one reminds otogi. But really. A lot of Japanese companies stay around for so long. American companies should learn to stick to their own formula.

Ninja Blade 2!

Wouldn't be shocked if MS signed them to make something again They have a bit of a history as well with that, Metal Wolf Chaos and Chromehounds.

I would love to see them try something not a Souls game next. By all means make Dark Souls 3 but they seem to be a studio that can do more then 1 game at once. Try something new again.

Joco

3 words
SCI-FI SOULS GAME

As ridiculous as it may sound I would actually love to see this. Given Miyazaki's very unique perspective and From's ability to craft fantastic and intriguing worlds, a sci-fi game from them I'd be interested to see.

Ikon

I could go for an Armored Core with the local multiplayer of the first games. Bloodborne is dominating my life right now though.

Sephzilla

After Bloodborne I kind of want them to take a short break from the Souls formula, I love the games but I don't want to see it get watered down to fast. I could totally go for a new Armored Core.

Lima

They made one of the best MP games on the 360 with Chromehounds. I would like to see something similar again.

yuraya

lol @ all the people who think they are going to make something other than souls games. You really think they will kill of their streak to make some mech game that would bomb and people would forget about in few years? No way. Its too much of a risk. Expect them to milk these souls games like Ubisoft milking asscreed. 10 souls games in the next 10 years is safest assumption :p

As long as they get to still work on anime-based mecha titles (ACE, Gundam UC, etc.) from time to time, I'm fine with whatever they do.

lol @ all the people who think they are going to make something other than souls games. You really think they will kill of their streak to make some mech game that would bomb and people would forget about in few years? No way. Its too much of a risk. Expect them to milk these souls games like Ubisoft milking asscreed. 10 souls games in the next 10 years is safest assumption :p

AC V, AC: Verdict Day and Gundam Unicorn were developed in between Dark Souls I and II

Sephzilla

Considering how many Armored Core games there are, I highly doubt people would forget a new one

OSHAN

They made another Armored Core like what, a year ago?

Coxy

I'd love to see Armored Core take off in popularity like souls has, I actually much prefer those games

They made another Armored Core like what, a year ago?

Here is everything FROM has made since Demon's Souls in chronological order:

Demon's Souls PlayStation 3 February 5, 2009
Yatsu Hakamura Nintendo DS April 23, 2009
Another Century's Episode: R PlayStation 3 August 19, 2010
Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village PlayStation Portable August 26, 2010
Another Century's Episode Portable PlayStation Portable January 13, 2011
Dark Souls PlayStation 3 September 22, 2011
Armored Core V PlayStation 3 January 26, 2012
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn PlayStation 3 March 8, 2012
Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor Xbox 360 June 21, 2012
Armored Core: Verdict Day PlayStation 3 September 26, 2013
Dark Souls II PlayStation 3 March 13, 2014
Bloodborne PlayStation 4 March 24, 2015

Top Bottom