• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'm currently listening. Lets see if he tears this game apart.

He said how open the Blood Money tutorial (Theme Park) was and the Absolution was linear. Complete bull I'd say the Absolution one gives alot more and is less linear.

http://i.minus.com/i7DdjJmsWloQU.gif

Wait, wat? Did they just awesome button'ed my Hitman?

ivyWNuJXKiD5b.gif

Gametrailers is a joke

image.php

Ath

Rock Paper Shotgun

Absolution is the occasional freedom to be a silent killer but is also thimble-sized levels, gun-toting fetish nuns, and a prolonged and startling absence of silenced weapons. Absolution is a clever free-form Contracts mode with less hits than the New Radicals. Absolution has its priorities confused. Here’s wot I think.

GT review seems pretty damning. The black comedy/characters are kind of a personal thing. I quite like them usually, the sexy nuns still seems a bit dumb but hey, video games.

I think as the graphics have evolved, there is this contradiction between the visuals and the last gen AI/systems that hold the game back. I guess I expected things to improve a bit more beyond Blood Money. edit. Yeah the closing statement of the review said as much.

Will probably pick it up when it's cheaper for contracts mode.

Edge

edit. Opening story spoilers in the GameSpot video review FYI.

So judging by the reviews, it´s an ok action game, but a massive dissapointment if you expected it to be a Hitman game. People will need to adjust their expecations or pass. I´ll do the latter.

BTW, if you want a classic Hitman game in Absolution there's the Contract Mode made specifically for this... in multiplayer you can raise the bar.

No, because if gamers don't get things exactly as they want from Day 1, very first menu, the game is a failure. Btw, looking at these reviews the game is a failure anyway - 7 or 8 out of 10. Which is super funny seeing as GAF goes ballistic over inflated review scores.

'First Hitman in 6 years, nope, not going to play it, because it got a low review score'.

Anyway, the game has the same problem as Syndicate - apparently if it was named 'Modern Thief Killing People' instead of 'Hitman' all would've been great.

Zeliard

RPS said:
Absolution had killed Blood Money and now it was trying to get away with wearing its clothes.

RPS said:
Because he is no longer actively working as a hitman, he doesn’t actually do ‘hits’ anymore and so requires motivation other than a paycheck, and that requires narrative, which requires dialogue, which is dreadful.

RPS said:
Remarkably, most levels don’t have a target – they’re about getting from one place to another instead of hitting a man, usually while being hunted or trespassing.

RPS said:
There are entire missions with no choice at all – walk to door, open door, perform prescribed action. One is about buying a suit and it took almost as long for the game to tally up my score at the end as it did for me to complete the level. The very fact that buying a suit doesn’t take place in a cutscene but several of the actual kills do is surely cause for dismay.

RPS said:
Although there is a ‘purist’ difficulty that gets rid of every hint, every pointer and the x-ray, slow-mo instinct mode, many areas seem to have been designed assuming the use of all of those things.

RPS said:
Absolution’s plot, with its bizarre melodrama and ugly grindhouse excess, is the albatross around the game’s slender neck. As 47 moves from Chicago to Hope and the circus of miscreants grows, the life is throttled out of the game. I could deal with apathy but it’s not that I didn’t care – by the end I actively wanted the whole sorry show to be over.

As it is, I’ve already reinstalled Blood Money as a sort of palate cleanser and I suggest you do the same.

Sounds promising, all told.

I can't remember the last big-budget title where reviewer opinion (not the general public) was this divisive.

I think I will be able to look beyond the glaring flaws we know about if it gets most things right, as I'm a pretty forgiving person.

Ath

Eurogamer 7/10

Agent 47 doesn't begin Hitman: Absolution with amnesia, but the six years that have passed since we last took control of him in Blood Money do seem to have dulled his creators' recollections of what made him so popular in the first place. Hitman: Absolution is a slick, responsive and mechanically confident game - and on occasions it's one of the most satisfying stealth games in a year that already includes Dishonored - but a range of compromises to Hitman tradition mean it's still going to rub some people up the wrong way.

What are your expectations on the game? The reviewers who like it seem to judge it as a blockbuster action game with stealth, and the reviewers who doesn´t judge it as a successor to Blood Money.
That's exactly how I'm reading it too. I'd be keen to read any positive review written by a Blood Money fan at this point.

Pandemic

CVG gave the game a 9,
Summary: Feels like 'proper' Hitman, mixed with new ideas of varying quality. Crucially, it's great fun, and you'll want to play Absolution through more than once

UPPERS
Brilliant ideas, densely packed
Brutal kills married to IO's trademark humour
One of this generation's finest stealth games
The premise of Contracts mode...

DOWNERS
... is slightly better than the execution
Smaller, more linear sandboxes
Save system

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...view-vintage-47-successfully-remixed-review/#

CVG gave the game a 9,
Summary: Feels like 'proper' Hitman, mixed with new ideas of varying quality. Crucially, it's great fun, and you'll want to play Absolution through more than once

UPPERS
Brilliant ideas, densely packed
Brutal kills married to IO's trademark humour
One of this generation's finest stealth games
The premise of Contracts mode...

DOWNERS
... is slightly better than the execution
Smaller, more linear sandboxes
Save system

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...view-vintage-47-successfully-remixed-review/#

Following that we can simply say:

People loved BM, new Hitman doesn't have to be like BM = Absolution is a proper Hitman game, high score

People loved BM, new Hitman has to be like BM = Absolution is not a proper Hitman game, low score

AHA-Lambda

Well the lower scores make me feel vindicated certainly. I'll try and finish this up quickly and give contracts a bash but I can't say for certain that I won't try to trade it in as soon as to get my money back.

I can't remember the last big-budget title where reviewer opinion (not the general public) was this divisive.

I think I will be able to look beyond the glaring flaws we know about if it gets most things right, as I'm a pretty forgiving person.

RE6?

Top Bottom