• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

ScOULaris

So Gamestop decided to lower the price of Absolution to $39.99 (new) today, and I picked it up.

I won't be able to try it out until later after going home and getting some other stuff done, but I have a couple of quick questions:

1) What difficulty should I start on? Hard? I want a challenge, but I'd like to minimize frustration due to the shitty disguise system if possible. I have played and loved all the other Hitman games, if that helps.

2) Rumor has it that a disguise patch is coming next week. Has that been confirmed yet? If so, I wonder if it will require a new game in order to take advantage of the tweaked AI.

1) What difficulty should I start on? Hard? I want a challenge, but I'd like to minimize frustration due to the shitty disguise system if possible. I have played and loved all the other Hitman games, if that helps.

I've been playing on Expert since the game came out, and I've still only completed 6 of the 20 missions so far. It's an exercise in frustration. I can't stop because I'm weird about this sort of stuff, but I'd recommend Normal pre-patch if you want to actually enjoy the game.

There was a line before you see him at the hotel (outside of his room where you go through the vent) where he's telling that woman that they 'need money' or some shit. Maybe he's going broke?

But the plot doesn't make sense, Dexter doesn't even know why Victoria is valuable or who wants her 'til much, much later in the story. It doesn't make any sense why he's after her in the first place.

BibiMaghoo

So Gamestop decided to lower the price of Absolution to $39.99 (new) today, and I picked it up.

I won't be able to try it out until later after going home and getting some other stuff done, but I have a couple of quick questions:

I've been playing through first time on hard. And it is, but far from impossible. I'm at the end of the game. Normal is not much of a challenge at all based on contracts I've played on that difficulty.

So I'm playing this at a bros house and honestly want to stop. Does it get better after "Hunter and Hunted" or is it more of the same?

So I'm playing this at a bros house and honestly want to stop. Does it get better after "Hunter and Hunted" or is it more of the same?

It's mostly more of the same, honestly. Shaving Lenny is a pretty good mission, but I can't think of any others after that point I enjoyed all the way through.

It's mostly more of the same, honestly. Shaving Lenny is a pretty good mission, but I can't think of any others after that point I enjoyed all the way through.

Thanks, pretty disappointing to hear but I'd rather not waste my time. This year is just a slap in the face for some of my favorite franchises.

playing some blood money again, the controls really aren't that bad. The only big difference is that Absolution has a more refined melee (which is just a QTE) and a more console friendly item pickup system.

Question about melee weapons. Are the big ones like katanas and fire axes one time uses?

Also for a game trying to be cinematic, it's quite weird that they couldn't implement the classic movie exchange of

"I've never seen you before"

"Oh I'm new here/ I'm a temp for officer bob"

Make that a QTE that burns intuition but completely erases suspicion for a unit type.

Burn Notice this shit yo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
playing some blood money again, the controls really aren't that bad. The only big difference is that Absolution has a more refined melee (which is just a QTE) and a more console friendly item pickup system.

Question about melee weapons. Are the big ones like katanas and fire axes one time uses?

Also for a game trying to be cinematic, it's quite weird that they couldn't implement the classic movie exchange of

Make that a QTE that burns intuition but completely erases suspicion for a unit type.

Burn Notice this shit yo.

You can take melee weapons out of people's heads after you throw them. Even if you hide the body in something, you can still take it out.

SkylineRKR

Not to mention that the evil texan seems to own an entire town and a cyclopean arms factory, yet seems to getting super excited over 10 million dollars. You'd assume 10 million wouldn't be a big deal to someone like that...

This was the most retarded thing about the plot, its being said that Dexter is filthy rich, yet he risks his life and everything for 10 million.

Jintor

At least something like this. (Youtube Changed their CC and now it's shit)

lulz i colnt tipe er theeenk korektlie
cognitive-thinking

I didn't claim to understand what cognitive mean. I just used that word to seem intelligent, mr. smarty pants.

Now will you unzip your little red bumbum and tell me why IO should give you money back?

I have little inclinations for ones such as yourself not baking up your own vocal ordeal just because you use the *internet* to articulate your gaming hatred. You remind me of a Mountain Dew gone sour with such attitude.
And thus I ask you sir, as a gaming gentleman to another, please *elaborate* on your negative intrusions. Comprende por favor?

Caddle

What the hell? I reload a checkpoint at the strip club, the target is dead, yet the extra reward I get for his death and hiding the body is gone. Did anyone play this shit before pushing it out the door? This is the first time I've played a hitman game beside the demo for blood money.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
lulz i colnt tipe er theeenk korektlie
cognitive-thinking

They still got your money. HA!

But please, do tell us why did you return it. I'm curious. I haven't bought the game, so convince me otherwise.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Most hilarious kills Ive did was throwing a cleaver at 3 separate targets from a crowd of people and still no one found out who just did that lol. (means I threw 3 separate cleavers not 1 for 3 targets)

Obviously not the guy wearing the cooks outfit!

RevDM

Banned
I didn't claim to understand what cognitive mean. I just used that word to seem intelligent, mr. smarty pants.

Now will you unzip your little red bumbum and tell me why IO should give you money back?

I have little inclinations for ones such as yourself not baking up your own vocal ordeal just because you use the *internet* to articulate your gaming hatred. You remind me of a Mountain Dew gone sour with such attitude.
And thus I ask you sir, as a gaming gentleman to another, please *elaborate* on your negative intrusions. Comprende por favor?

They still got your money. HA!

But please, do tell us why did you return it. I'm curious. I haven't bought the game, so convince me otherwise.

Since you guys asked so nicely...If you frequent this thread, you will know that I am a Hitman fan. After much resistance, I was willing to accept that this is a "new direction" for the franchise and that it can still be a great game, just not a Hitman game. As it turns out, that is just not the truth about this game. It is not even a great game, or a good game. It is a mediocre game that looks beautiful. It's like trying to be in a long term relationship with a girl that all she has going for her is her looks. The game has no depth. The replay value is low. You will play a few levels here and there, but it will get dull fast. One of the fun things I tried doing was to see how quickly I could Sam Fisher enemies from the start as I plowed my way through before being noticed. This was fun just for a bit.

I then tried to replay the game on purist, because after all... that mode was made for fans like me, right? Nope. Purist just doesn't work. The levels were not designed to be played in this fashion (see trainstation). It's the equivalent of being handed a screwdriver and told to tighten a bolt. I'm sure you could stab the edges until it gets tight, but it really is the wrong tool for the job and it is not more "fun." It's just stupid.

Contracts mode you say? The levels are constricted, and more often the cost:benefit of just quickly shooting someone in the head and bolting to the exit is better than tediously killing the target the way the contract was intended. Moreover, the money you get is practically useless. You upgrade your ballers and what are you going to do with the rest of the money? Upgrade guns you'll never use? Speaking of upgrades, talk about getting the shaft. In BM, you knew you were the shit when you had this:

ACfjb.jpg

Fully upgraded ballers were fucking lethal. You no longer have that satisfaction.

ScOULaris

So I'm a few hours in, and I figured I'd share my thoughts:

1. Everything that people in this thread have been saying about the linearity and Conviction-esque gameplay is pretty much accurate. The vast majority of game time is spent hiding from armed guards of some sort and peeking around corners. This is not Hitman gameplay.
  2. What the hell happened to my silenced Silverballer? I'm currently on Hunter and Hunted, and I haven't had access to it since the first level or two. Where the hell did it go? I hate that I can't choose my weapons before each mission, even if I understand why that's not the case given the circumstances of the story.
  3. 47 feels more like a "badass" now with his smoother controls and array of takedowns, but it comes at the expense of pretty much everything that was fun about the previous Hitman games. This game isn't terrible by any means, but it plays nothing likes its predecessors.
  4. The game shoehorns you into these traditional stealth segments, but the gameplay systems and controls aren't fully developed enough to make them enjoyable. The cover system is functional but loose, and there isn't enough feedback from the game with regard to how visible you are. Basically, the stealth gameplay is more frustrating than fun, and it comprises the vast majority of this game.
  5. Is it just me or is the lip-sync/facial animation in this game god-awful?

Jintor

So I'm a few hours in, and I figured I'd share my thoughts:

1. What the hell happened to my silenced Silverballer? I'm currently on Hunter and Hunted, and I haven't had access to it since the first level or two. Where the hell did it go? I hate that I can't choose my weapons before each mission, even if I understand why that's not the case given the circumstances of the story.

You gave it to Birdy in exchange for info.

SJRB

Gold Member
That is some bullshit right there.

I agree. I am supposed to believe a seasoned professional like 47 DOESN'T have backup weapons stashed around all over the world?

I have yet to finish this game. I played up until eh.. I don't even know, whatever comes after the nightclub level.

The game is just not compelling at all, it feels like I've seen all there is to see to this game. The story is nowhere near interesting enough to keep the flow going.

eshwaaz

What the hell? I reload a checkpoint at the strip club, the target is dead, yet the extra reward I get for his death and hiding the body is gone. Did anyone play this shit before pushing it out the door? This is the first time I've played a hitman game beside the demo for blood money.
The checkpoint system is utterly horrid. How in the world they settled on this broken, worthless implementation is beyond me.

leng jai

Well the last patch seems to have fixed my crash problems...too bad I'm up to that godawful Operation Sledgehammer mission.

Also last call for the Steam code with CE weapon skills I'm selling for $25 before I give it away to my cousin.

Since you guys asked so nicely...If you frequent this thread, you will know that I am a Hitman fan. After much resistance, I was willing to accept that this is a "new direction" for the franchise and that it can still be a great game, just not a Hitman game. As it turns out, that is just not the truth about this game. It is not even a great game, or a good game. It is a mediocre game that looks beautiful. It's like trying to be in a long term relationship with a girl that all she has going for her is her looks. The game has no depth. The replay value is low. You will play a few levels here and there, but it will get dull fast. One of the fun things I tried doing was to see how quickly I could Sam Fisher enemies from the start as I plowed my way through before being noticed. This was fun just for a bit.

I then tried to replay the game on purist, because after all... that mode was made for fans like me, right? Nope. Purist just doesn't work. The levels were not designed to be played in this fashion (see trainstation). It's the equivalent of being handed a screwdriver and told to tighten a bolt. I'm sure you could stab the edges until it gets tight, but it really is the wrong tool for the job and it is not more "fun." It's just stupid.

Contracts mode you say? The levels are constricted, and more often the cost:benefit of just quickly shooting someone in the head and bolting to the exit is better than tediously killing the target the way the contract was intended. Moreover, the money you get is practically useless. You upgrade your ballers and what are you going to do with the rest of the money? Upgrade guns you'll never use? Speaking of upgrades, talk about getting the shaft. In BM, you knew you were the shit when you had this:

ACfjb.jpg

Fully upgraded ballers were fucking lethal. You no longer have that satisfaction.

fuck. I hope the next Hitman wont be like this then. I still want to try it.

I'm really enjoying this game...

Could be because I really enjoyed Splinter Cell Conviction & Double Agent and this game feels likes a mix of those two.
I played some Blood Money but never finished it because the controls felt archaic.

Also wow are those graphics pretty. It's nice to see that Kane & Lynch engine put to good use.

I'm probably going to sell my copy. I got to the mission where I'm
carrying the girl out of a hospital

The parts where you're in an open area, and have to assassinate people are great, just as always. But 80% of the game is sneaking from point A to point B without being seen. I'm bored of it.

I adored the first proper mission (King of Chinatown); why couldn't they have just had 20 levels like that?

stn

Just got this yesterday. Played a bit through the prologue and it feels VERY different from previous games. I can already say I dislike the idea of a checkpoint system, just doesn't belong in Hitman.

We'll see how I feel at the end. Thinking to do a Blood Money replay this month, too.

That motherfucking save-data-corrupting-crash hit me. The game I've been waiting for 5 years turns out to be shit and then it dares to treat me like this, fuck!

Story progress 11/20, Part II: Death Factory...beware.

dreamfall

That motherfucking save-data-corrupting-crash hit me. The game I've been waiting for 5 years turns out to be shit and then it dares to treat me like this, fuck!

Story progress 11/20, Part II: Death Factory...beware.

I haven't hit the save data corruption stage yet, but my game has been crashing like crazy since the patch. Before that, it was totally alright- relatively stable. Now I get DX errors, and the program stops responding after an hour or so of play. Couldn't get out of Dexter Industries!

Still enjoying it in bits. But haven't been able to play it as much with issues!

Interfectum

Console Patch notes (for PC as well I'm sure):

Here are the main patch notes for the console patch that is now in submission with the platform holders. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, and point 1 covers all of the crash incidents we have seen reported.

- Increased game stability that will prevent crashes leading to loss of save data.
- Contracts Mode is now accessible without downloading or entering an access code. [PS3 only]
- The disguise parameters on ‘Professional’ difficulties have been tweaked.
- Displayed high scores are now selected from all difficulty levels.
- Players are no longer ‘spotted’ during the end cutscene of the ‘train station’ checkpoint in Run For Your Life.
- Using ‘sleeping pills’ in Contracts mode will now be listed as ‘Accident’ rather than ‘bare hands’ as the weapon used.
- Numerous network and GUI improvements for Contracts Mode.
- Train Station Spotted bug fixed.

We may be able to give you slightly more granular detail next week - and as soon as we have a more concrete ETA for patch release we will let you know. Currently it is still on course to be live some time next week (beginning December 10).

Thanks a lot for your patience, and the feedback you've given on these forums - it's helped us to pinpoint and fix things which have been causing issues, and we really appreciate it.

Should be out this week.

The regular edition has dropped to £19.99 for 360 and PS3 on Amazon.co.uk. Low enough for me to give it a shot.

(You'll also get the sniper thingy and £2 Amazon MP3 credit, or at least I did)

rvy

Banned
- The disguise parameters on ‘Professional’ difficulties have been tweaked.
- Players are no longer ‘spotted’ during the end cutscene of the ‘train station’ checkpoint in Run For Your Life.

Nice.

Top Bottom