• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

xrnzaaas

Yes, they have. But now they are desperate. And TBH if I was interested in this game only now and I'd be told in game that there are these 26 elusive targets that I will never be able to experience or unlock those outfits because screw our late adopters - I'd rather not buy the game at all. The idea of elusive targets is great, the execution (haha) is worrying. Everybody that buys this game should have their one shot (haha) at every single one of the elusive targets, no matter when they get around to playing it.

I think it depends on what type of a person you are and how you approach the topic of playing games. I felt the same way when I first subscribed to PS+ and knew that I missed out on many games, but I soon realized that I wouldn't have enough time and desire to play and finish EVERYTHING. :)

The idea of elusive targets is great, the execution (haha) is worrying. Everybody that buys this game should have their one shot (haha) at every single one of the elusive targets, no matter when they get around to playing it.
I think Elusives were a great concept, and they played out exactly as intended. Their one-time-only nature is what defines them. I liked the larger window they eventually moved to, but the 'no repeats' element is what made them special. If you look at this thread you can see that they worked exactly as intended: they introduced a community aspect as everyone came together at the same time to undertake the same challenge.

If you make them less unique, you remove the extra motivation that brought everyone together at the same time, and once people think that they'll be repeated at some point, the Elusives will never work the same way again.

It does suck for people who didn't buy the game at release, but ultimately as a consumer you make your choices and you have to live with them. IO made an amazing game, so they did their part.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm a late adopter. Bought the disc about a month ago and had no idea about the Elusive Targets. Bit bummed I missed out but tbh, I bought it for the main game and that certainly delivers.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
If you make them less unique, you remove the extra motivation that brought everyone together at the same time, and once people think that they'll be repeated at some point, the Elusives will never work the same way again.

They shouldn't repeat them, just give everybody the chance to experience them. They were supposed to force people to buy each new episode when it came out. Well, that strategy failed. So at this point it would be best to not punish people that may have an interest just now. The content exists, they spent money on creating it, just having it sit there without using it to push sales is so stupid. It made sense while they were releasing new episodes but now it just doesn't.

Foffy

Banned
The wait is killing me.

By the way, do we know if the Sarajevo Six stuff is permanantly PS4 exclusive?

IO has said that that stuff is forever Sony's.

There's a possibility they exist in the PC version, but there would need to be a server emulator and more hacking done on that version to find out.

Server emulators, albeit being around for super short periods of time (IO is super fast to deal with these), have apparently allowed people to replay Elusive Targets. The Sarajevo Six are regarded as Elusive Targets in game logic, IIRC.

They also show that ETs can have offline support, for the PS4 version enabled offline play for SS missions a few months ago.

They shouldn't repeat them, just give everybody the chance to experience them. They were supposed to force people to buy each new episode when it came out. Well, that strategy failed.
It didn't for me! Or the other people who bought the game as it was released.

So at this point it would be best to not punish people that may have an interest just now. The content exists, they spent money on creating it, just having it sit there without using it to push sales is so stupid. It made sense while they were releasing new episodes but now it just doesn't.
If they buckle on the Season 1 Elusives, then Season 2 Elusives won't be taken seriously unfortunately; people will just think "oh it's too much of a hassle now, I'll just repeat them at my leisure when they allow that down the track." And then the Elusives won't foster that same community aspect any more where everyone is struggling through them at the same time and sharing their experiences.

H22PIWN.gif

I still play this all the time, been there since day one. Only map I've gotten 20/20 on though is Sapienza :x

It's sort of fun to just try and kill everyone in a level as a little challenge. One for me and my PS4, which keeps crashing :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I kinda wish melee combat wasn't so esoteric with noise.

like surely a lonesome man in a room wouldn't trigger discovered/combat towards everyone.

xuchu

I'm absolutely loving this game. Done all the challenges for Paris and Sapienza and really understand how the episodic format was great for giving people time to replay the maps. I really like the opportunity system and how it helps you to learn the map. Then you can do the rest of the interesting assassination challenges on your own given the understanding you now have of the map and routes of the targets. Done a few escalation targets and really enjoying them too. Going to start on Marrakesh soon.

It would be funny if you just had to randomly kill people in a level until you suddenly got "Mission Complete" after one of them.

If the point is figuring out who the target is, I would be surprised if the mission didn't auto-fail after X number of non-targets killed.

Sure, going indie is big too, but getting control of Hitman is the real headline IMO. A conservative Japanese company like Square Enix could have just as easily decided to hold on to the IP and let IO die completely.

It really would have been heartbreaking if Season 2 never got to happen after how well they did in bringing back Hitman. It was easily the game I put the most hours into over the past year and ever since finishing up w/ Hokkaido, I've been eagerly anticipating the next season.

Metroid coming back at E3 really filled my heart with happiness, but as far as good news as it pertains to video games, this takes the cake so far this year.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sure, going indie is big too, but getting control of Hitman is the real headline IMO. A conservative Japanese company like Square Enix could have just as easily decided to hold on to the IP and let IO die completely.

SE announced last month they'd sell Hitman alongside IO, it wasn't a surprise this would happen. Hitman staying with IO means nothing unless it went either somewhere they wanted to continue to develop the series, or independent.

DOWN

Banned
I honestly never finished the game because I can't share play it to chat and show my friend which is what I do when playing

It's wild and idiotic that this game can't be share played even just visual streaming without the controller

Hopefully its good news but its so weird to me that SE would just "give up" the Hitman IP. Sure, maybe its stumbled a bit but its got so much history and footprints in movies that I think at SOME point it will reboot again into massive greatness, like I'm talking amazing HBO TV show plus a game plus a few movies and I just don't see why they wouldn't sit on that. Maybe they kept a % of the new company or something. I have a feeling in 20 years we'll look back at this as one of the greatest financial missteps in gaming history on SE's part.

Hope for the best, I'd love an annual new hitman that just puts out a few levels for $40 on the same engine, I'd buy into that for a while. Maybe something that lets you create more customized levels with your own VA, they could do all kinds of cool things with a Hitman Maker ala super mario maker.

I do wonder how this affects Hitman 2017, since SE still owns publishing for this right?

Square Enix pulled out of funding season 2 to completion, so it would be quid pro quo that they give up publishing rights for season 2 whenever it comes out.

And it certainly sounds like SE is disengaging from season 1 as well.

June Update Release Notes

Try HITMAN for FREE
All players can now try HITMAN for FREE. The ICA Facility is available as a free download on all platforms.
Get more information at hitman.com

ICA Facility Improvements
We've made some changes to the player experience in the ICA Facility Location.
These include level design, AI and UI improvements in all missions and contracts in the ICA Facility.
Note: Due to these changes, previous game saves in this location will not be valid.

Global Hints
We've added a new system of global hints that will explain some of the game's mechanics to new players.
These can be toggled in the settings menu and are set to 'On' by default.

The Adrian Eclipse
We've fixed an issue that could cause this contract to be 'failed' unfairly. We removed it from the game in March and now it's back in. Find it under the Paris Destination.

Bootflow Options
We've tweaked the bootflow of the game with a new background and shortened the time it takes to get into the game.

Suit Only, Hunted
We've fixed an issue that could cause the 'Hunted' state to apply to 47's suit, even if he was wearing a different disguise when compromised.

Bareknuckle Boxer
We've fixed an issue that could make it impossible for 47 to poison Novikov's drink in The Showstopper during the 'A Drink to Die For' opportunity.

Steam Achievement Localisation
We've updated the localised names and descriptions of the Steam achievements .

Menu Tweaks
We've made minor tweaks to the overall menus, especially the Options Menu to ensure consistency when selecting buttons.

Kalor

I was hoping for a bit more from the update but having a quicker bootload sounds great. It felt like it took ages before. I'm curious to see what the changes are to the initial levels.

ZeroX03

Banned
Patched on PS4. Seems a little bit faster to start? There's just a 15 second (unskippable) video with all the logos and details.

The real question Re: the ICA Facility is if you can make shareable contracts with the Boat training mission now or if it's still just the Cuba training mission.

ZeroX03

Banned
According to the crack watch subreddit they've removed Denuvo today's patch.

It could just be a license thing with SE and Denuvo, but I want to believe that IO is doing this to be cool.

Maybe if they remove the online restrictions all those people complaining about it in the other thread will finally buy the game.
They won't.

I've put off buying the game because I had no idea how my 660 would run the game. Is this tutorial area a good barometer for how the game will work on my system?

I've put off buying the game because I had no idea how my 660 would run the game. Is this tutorial area a good barometer for how the game will work on my system?

I don't think so. The actual levels are way bigger than the tutorial and have a ton of NPCs in them. I don't know if tutorial performance will be indicative of the rest of the game.

All the new tutorial changes feel like ideas you might get from watching a year of Giant Bomb playing this game.

- New voiced explanations of every single step
- Giant brackets on screen highlighting every next objective
- Paths that let you miss tutorial objectives have been blocked off
- Messages now take up half the screen while dimming out the gameplay
- Button prompts pop up a big controller picture and don't let you continue the game until you have pressed them
- When they want you to notice someone they overlaying a second picture of him on top just in case and sometimes even automatically swing the camera around
- The last tutorial complication that forces you to think of a solution has been cut

Etc.

All the new tutorial changes feel like ideas you might get from watching a year of Giant Bomb playing this game.

- New voiced explanations of every single step
- Giant brackets on screen highlighting every next objective
- Paths that let you miss tutorial objectives have been blocked off
- Messages now take up half the screen while dimming out the gameplay
- Button prompts pop up a big controller picture and don't let you continue the game until you have pressed them
- When they want you to notice someone they overlaying a second picture of him on top just in case and sometimes even automatically swing the camera around
- The last tutorial complication that forces you to think of a solution has been cut

Etc.
So basically Blood Money's tutorial?

Top Bottom