• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HMDI 2.1 - higher resolution, higher refreshrate, hello adaptive-sync and more

onQ123

I been waiting for this news I was searching for info on the next HDMI update a few weeks ago & it seems to be better than I thought it would be & I can't believe this is only a .1 upgrade.

Durante

Other than allowing headsets to continue to use HDMI and not jump to being DP only, not much. It has higher bandwidth capabilities than even the most recent DP, but at what distances with the new cable remains to be seen.
Yeah, for VR the bandwidth increase seems to be the only really meaningful point. The signalling will be custom to some extent anyway.

That said, I'd hope for VR HMDs (at least those for PC) to largely move to Displayport going forward.

I been waiting for this news I was searching for info on the next HDMI update a few weeks ago & it seems to be better than I thought it would be & I can't believe this is only a .1 upgrade.

A .1 upgrade that wont work with the .0 version before it....

Sounds like an Apple upgrade :p

I'm curious on the extent the HDMI 2.0 adapter standard can be upgraded. It doesn't tell if adaptive sync etc can be applied. If so then suddenly 50+ million PS4's got a significant new feature (for all that eventually upgrade their TV's).

But if the 2.0 cannot be updated to receive adaptive sync then Microsoft should seriously consider delaying the Scorpio mere months (if needed) to obtain the standard.

PS4 doesn't have HDMI 2.0. The Pro does, so that's the only one with a chance of being upgraded.

Caayn

Can we just move to Displayport, please? Please?
Why? HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps) has higher bandwidth than Displayport 1.4 (32.4Gbps), and they'll continue to leap frog with future versions.
http://www.cepro.com/article/new_hdmi_2_1_specification_supports_8k60hz_with_hdr_4k120hz

Depends, it seems. I'd hope the current crop will at least be able to add the dynamic HDR metadata portion of the spec.
Thanks, I'll add this quote to the OP.

Syrus

Banned
Why? HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps) has higher bandwidth than Displayport 1.4 (32.4Gbps), and they'll continue to leap frog with future versions.
Thanks, I'll add this quote to the OP.

As long as we get dynamic HDR I think thats all wed need. We can do 4k60 now, as far as console gaming goes

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was gonna say why for movies, but then remembered all my research for my 4ktv and the whole "24hz judder" category.

It's shocking to be in 2017 and still have issues with 24Hz playback. TVs 5+ years ago had that sorted out simply by repeating frames.

Heel

As long as we get dynamic HDR I think thats all wed need. We can do 4k60 now, as far as console gaming goes

Yeah, I'd be content if they allowed half-baked compliance and updated to HDR10 with dynamic metadata. The required throughput can't be that significant.

Bonus points for adding RGB 10bit 4:4:4 at 4K60, somehow.

between this, the HDR format war, 8/10 bit panels, different colour spaces and various other things... I'm glad I decided to hold off on a 4K TV until PS5ish time arrives.

ViciousDS

Banned
cool thing about most samsung TV's is that the HDMI box and encoding is actually seperate....you can just buy an upgrade box if need be and have a firmware update.

wowzors

Took me so long to realise this title is HMDI lol.

Anyways on topic,

Does HDMI 2.1 bring about the support of 4k 60Hz 4:4:4 RGB.

The new HDMI2.1 specification has just been announced and it contains some really good improvements over HDMI 2.0

• Higher Video Resolutions support a range of higher resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail.
  • Dynamic HDR ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast, and wider color gamuts-on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.
  • 48G cables enable up to 48Gbps bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support including 8K video with HDR. The cable is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.
  • eARC supports the most advanced audio formats such as object-based audio, and enables advanced audio signal control capabilities including device auto-detect.
  • Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing.

http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_kit.aspx

I.......I just purchased a 4k monitor.

200.gif

Zalusithix

Yeah, for VR the bandwidth increase seems to be the only really meaningful point. The signalling will be custom to some extent anyway.

That said, I'd hope for VR HMDs (at least those for PC) to largely move to Displayport going forward.

Displayport is certainly more flexible from a VR perspective. Built in support for multiple displays for instance could be leveraged with foveated rendering to send multiple different frames simultaneously at different resolutions that are stitched back together at the headset - sidestepping the bandwidth requirements of sending of a single massive high resolution frame where 75%+ of it is a waste of bandwidth. Plus it's here right now and not dependent on who-knows-when general availability.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, I'd be content if they allowed half-baked compliance and updated to HDR10 with dynamic metadata. The required throughput can't be that significant.

Bonus points for adding RGB 10bit 4:4:4 at 4K60, somehow.
Same

These are the only ones that really matter to me for now.

dr_rus

The big question is what's required and what's optional.

So what you're saying is don't buy a 4K TV this year after all?

Was that still not clear enough for some people?

This is mostly BS on their part given that they implemented VRR with adaptive-sync on some laptops, then called it G-Sync.

Vendor's implementation of adaptive sync can be called whatever the vendor want to call it. Like FreeSync for example.

Yoritomo

Took me so long to realise this title is HMDI lol.

Anyways on topic,

Does HDMI 2.1 bring about the support of 4k 60Hz 4:4:4 RGB.

My PC is pushing 4k 60hz 4:4:4 to my TV right now.

Had to buy a good cable though. Had to toss a 15 ft monoprice cable I had ordered because it didn't work with full bandwidth. I could only get 4k 60hz 4:2:0

I get that when HDMI first hit a cable that works works and nothing else mattered.

Now a shitty cable will prevent you from using high throughput modes and the anything that approaches the full bandwidth of the spec.

BigEmil

I never understand these posts. We all know that its inevitable that tech will evolve every single year. it will never stop. Do we say "Glad I didn't get a PS4 cause the PS5 is coming in 2 years"? It's not like you don't enjoy whatever you get at the time for a few years.
Because I was waiting for 4K TV's to atleast reach its peak before buying one since its tech keeps evolving quickly every year and HDMI 2.1 will be futureproof with next gen consoles etc. Consoles tech don't change every single year so that don't count, buying a 4k TV now I thought was still too early for a new premium priced TV waiting till its tech slows down to main features if that makes sense..

tuxfool

Banned
Vendor's implementation of adaptive sync can be called whatever the vendor want to call it. Like FreeSync for example.

Or G-sync. Which essentially puts a lie to their refusal to support adaptive-sync and consequently Freesync displays.

Planet

The article clearly states full up- and downwards compatibility. Can't see where you got this from, unless you count not magically getting hardware features via firmware update as "won't work".

This will be 20/20 with a PS5 and a 4K TV in 2020. :]

Bummblue

Neo Member
The double-talk here on what this means to HDMI v2.0 is killing me.

"The new specification, which is formally being announced at CES 2017, will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017."

Seriously, what the hell does that even mean?
I have a year 2015 audio receiver with v2.0 arriving today (Marantz SR7010) and I knew CES week could screw with me, as v2.1 news was expected. But I got happy there for a minute when I read that line.
Now I need to know what extent current v2.0 machines - audio receivers, televisions, video cards, consoles - can benefit from this, if at all.

dr_rus

Or G-sync. Which essentially puts a lie to their refusal to support adaptive-sync and consequently Freesync displays.

Supporting something is usually more than giving names to things. But I believe we've already had this discussion. Read more on this from Smith's piece on FreeSync 2 @anandtech if you want, he's done a good job explaining why things which don't sustain themselves financially don't live long.

tuxfool

Banned

"The new specification, which is formally being announced at CES 2017, will be available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters and they will be notified when it is released early in Q2 2017."

I have a year 2015 audio receiver with v2.0 arriving today (Marantz SR7010) and I knew CES week could screw with me, as v2.1 news was expected. But I got happy there for a minute when I read that line.
Now I need to know what extent current v2.0 machines - audio receivers, televisions, video cards, consoles - can benefit from this, if at all.

The adopters here aren't the consumers ;)

Supporting something is usually more than giving names to things. But I believe we've already had this discussion. Read more on this from Smith's piece on FreeSync 2 @anandtech if you want, he's done a good job explaining why things which don't sustain themselves financially don't live long.
The difference here is that Freesync 2 requires a lot more work to implement at all levels, as is clearly explained in that very article. It also notes that G-Sync licenses aren't cheap, so Nvidia wants to push their racket.

Planet

Adopter means manufacturers, not you as a consumer. Your 2.0 devices will work basically the same, and you can't just get these new features without replacing the device. The two devices you connect will communicate the features they support and only if both are 2.1 level you will get some or all of the above mentioned.

Quasar

The spec will be available to existing hdmi2.0 hardware makers in Q2. That was my assumption.

Well, finally. Ill upgrade to 4K once this is in tv sets. HDR should be mature by then and the ps5 will be around the corner by the time it's in devices.

Sounds like an Apple upgrade :p

What, it will allow all versions of hdmi to work on a 2.1 port.

Obviously you cant get 2.1 benefits on a sub 2.1 port. You can still connect 2.1 devices to sub 2.1 but you're obviously going to lose the pros of 2.1.

That's just how it is. That's like complaining that your USB 3.0 drive isn't getting 3.0 speeds on a 2.0 connection.

This update is huge. It's not a small update at all, especially if you want to game in 4k with HDR

Bummblue

Neo Member
Thanks for the clarification, gang.

So the hardware makers get access to this spec in Q2 and then the wait begins for us consumers to see how it'll all actually work. Wonder how long it'll be....

sirap

Thanks for the clarification, gang.

So the hardware makers get access to this spec in Q2 and the wait begins for us consumers. Wonder how long it'll be....

That depends, how big is your bank account?

2019 seems like a safe bet for these features to be standard on lower-end panels.

I never understand these posts. We all know that its inevitable that tech will evolve every single year. it will never stop. Do we say "Glad I didn't get a PS4 cause the PS5 is coming in 2 years"? It's not like you don't enjoy whatever you get at the time for a few years.

I wholeheartedly believe that there are good times to jump in and bad times to jump in despite tech constantly evolving. Some tech is bought more often and some tech is bought less often. I feel a TV and AVR are two things are you buy less frequently than more frequently. My current HDTV is 9 years old and still going strong, and in some ways hasn't been outclassed yet since it was top of the line for years after it was released. With 4K HDR sets still being in the early days and very little content out there to take advantage of it, my current set is more than good enough to hold out until a good replacement comes along. Jumping on 4K TVs now is premature still IMO.

Bummblue

Neo Member
That depends, how big is your bank account?

LoL - Great point.
And while I know it was a rhetorical question, I'll indulge myself anyway....
Unchanged for the last three round of purchases in ten years: Basically $2500 max for TV, $2200 max for audio receiver.

2019 seems like a safe bet for these features to be standard on lower-end panels.

I'm thinking the late 2018 batch of audio receivers and mid-2019 for televisions. CES 2018 could be really neat, right?

EvB

This tech does allow for an even more next-gen version of weird and confusing demonstrations of HDR

Here is one the HDMI group has already cooked up

hdr-3-image-comparison-100701325-orig.jpg

Top Bottom