• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[HOAX] Rockstar doing motion capture work for GTA 6 now [HOAX]

mario_O

Not really exicted for a new GTA; V was meh, and the whole online thing is terrible. I was expecting good DLC like in GTA IV, not the online rubbish.

gafneo

Banned
If they are going with Vice City than it might as well be DLC for V. Why create a new game from scratch when V is still ahead of its time compared to other games?

LKSmash

GTA-VICE.gif

I'm already prepared to look longingly at this image when VI is announced as not Vice City. Fantastic work.

The PS2-era GTA games were homages to movies and pop-culture. GTA IV and V have moved away from that, and while they have familiar threads and themes, they've seem to prefer a modern setting for these kinds of stories.

Personally? I'm hoping for Las Venturas.

I'd be cool with VC or LV. VC is obviously a goldmine as far as the "WTF" nature of the news that comes out of Florida and general politics. You just know that Rockstar would have a field day with that. But LV is also a good choice due to the corruption and general life of excess that is ripe for mocking. I could see them going with VC because you know they're going to want to touch on current politics, and Florida is really a good launching point for that.

Raven77

I think a time shifting Vice City is what I want most. Keep the same character switching from gta V but have at least one of the characters be in the 1980's while the others are more present day. When you play as the character in the past, it effects things in the city in the present when you switch back to the other present day characters.

This could give players choices that have dramatic effects on the world. A mission could give you an option to blow up a bridge, or take a less dramatic route. If you blow it, in the future their is a new bridge and a memorial to the lives lost on the old one. Stuff like that.

Idk how they would explain it story wise though.

Nesther

I think a time shifting Vice City is what I want most. Keep the same character switching from gta V but have at least one of the characters be in the 1980's while the others are more present day. When you play as the character in the past, it effects things in the city in the present when you switch back to the other present day characters.

This could give players choices that have dramatic effects on the world. A mission could give you an option to blow up a bridge, or take a less dramatic route. If you blow it, in the future their is a new bridge and a memorial to the lives lost on the old one. Stuff like that.

Idk how they would explain it story wise though.

That would be amazing. And it'd let them easily integrate GTA Online into it, without the restrictions of the past.

The PS2-era GTA games were homages to movies and pop-culture. GTA IV and V have moved away from that, and while they have familiar threads and themes, they've seem to prefer a modern setting for these kinds of stories.

Personally? I'm hoping for Las Venturas.

What? They all draw very heavily from pop culture. I think Kim Justice said it best by describing a new release in the series like a State of the Union address. A snapshot of where we are, and an examination of the current trends and activities within pop culture of its time.

Hydrus

ANYTHING but Liberty city. How about taking place in Europe or South America. Just want something really different.

BadAss2961

Vice City would be a bit too similar to San Andreas right now, only less diverse in areas to explore. VC also wouldn't be as good outside the 80's.

I agree completely with the DMV area. Start out in the slums of West Baltimore and work your way up to the White House doing missions for/against the President. It's perfect timing to spoof The Donald.

Being the wait for Single Player DLC for GTA V is a bad joke at this point and has been for years I am ready for another main GTA. Always assuming that Rockstar are going to give us what they always have with GTA - a big single player story - I am looking forward to see what and where they set it.

Make it two protagonists, one male and one female. Preferably PoC.

As for setting, I have no idea, I'm not that familiar with the US. I'd like it to be London but we know that isn't happening. Only gonna be America. Would like a different time period.

Hopefully they tone down their "satire", because it's rubbish.

YaBish

Fingers crossed for at least one positive female character in this one.

Also hope they don't return to anywhere they've done prior, but that might be too much to ask for.

cordy

Banned
Man, this thread really proves that people don't know the Miami-South Beach-West Palm Beach area. It's far different today than the fiction in the 80s.

Griss

Nothing can work as much as LA does, it's just so diverse.

This. As someone who has been to Miami 30+ times, as well as the keys, the Everglades, Orlando and the lakes, the space coast etc... There's just not enough topographic diversity for me. It's such a flat boring place which doesn't make for great gameplay. Miami itself would be a great city for GTA but only squeezed in to some amalgamation of the entire south east US, imo.

First of all, I find the title idea (VI being Vice) great.

That said, I haven't played Vice City, so I don't know if I like that setting or not, but I don't want to be set in the past, I want it to be in modern times.

So, here's some things I want:
Modern times, like I said before.
Give me many different areas to explore. I don't want only a city, like GTA IV. I want a big city, forests, beaches (both populated and more isolatesd, with rocks and stuff), maybe a village located in an area kinda like a desert.
Add more vehicles and animals. I'm not complaining about the number of vehicles and animals in GTA V, but I want more, it's the bext GTA after all.
I want the option to participate as the boss in several criminal activities. Have my own stip club, to sell drugs, to be like a mafia boss.
More awesome cheat codes, like driving something like Ghost Rider, jumping very high, invisible cars, flying cars, etc.
A female protagonist and missions where you pretend to be cop.
They should satirize Trump. Some missions where you can involve in shady politics would be very nice (for example stole evidence which shows someone who was bribed).
I would like to add some crazy weapons, just for fun. For example, they could add a bazooka that shoots tennis balls or a plastic hammer.
Keep random events. They were great in GTA V.
Give me the ability to create my own radio station with my own songs, I could do that in the PC version of San Andreas, why can't I do it in the console games.

Question: Could Rockstar use something like the algorithm Hello Games used to create the planets in No Man's Sky to create the interior of the buildings?

Cornbread78

but they are still doing mocap and va work for RDR2 right now....

Interesting that they would be doing both at the same time (must be different teams)

MBS

Banned
I'd like to see a female protagonist for the first time, let's say a woman officer/agent turning rogue or something similar, having to co-operate with cartel members and gangbangers.

Less garbage activities like yoga and tennis, focus more on criminal side missions.

Better written, more gritty and mature story ala GTA IV.

The only other option is London, really. Unless it's set in the future, I doubt they'll place it in a location where English isn't a primary language, as much as I'd love a GTA: Japan...

Agreed that NY / Miami / LA really cover the major vibes that they can pull for interesting cities, with almost nothing approaching LA/SouthWest for geographic diversity.

But if they had to do new cities in North America, if there was some gun to Houser's head, I could see New Orleans, Washington DC, or Chicago as viable alternatives, as they're all relatively unique locales, otherwise almost all other cities are just "baby cities" of the ones they've done.

Like, Toronto, Baltimore, Boston, Philadelphia, all great cities, but from a videogame perspective, they're just minor-league versions of New York... Like there's no unique story line that you could do in Toronto or Philadelphia that wouldn't just work better in New York.

Remote or isolated cities, like Denver or Salt Lake City are unique, but they're boring. There's no sprawling metropolis there, there's no slummy inner city... They're wealthy, ethnically homogeneous cities, that lack diversity.

The San Andreas region as imagined by GTA San Andreas is really the best one. Los Angeles, San Fran, and Las Vegas, are unique, geographically vast and diverse, and can provide a real landscape for different stories. Need a mob story? It can be done in Las Vegas. Need a beach area or sprawling massive metropolis? It can be done in LA. Need vast deserts, plains, mountains, etc., can be done in the regions that connect the three. San Francisco is really a city on it's own in terms of what it provides, and it's unique enough for its own stories and culture.

From a gaming point of view, the Pacific North West is like a 'baby San Francisco," like how Philadelphia is a baby New York. San Diego is like a baby LA, Reno is like a baby Las Vegas, etc. Sure, if you're in the world world they all offer something unique, but not from a videogame perspective.

Chicago is interesting and could really work, but I'll miss the geographic diversity of a game like GTA V or San Andreas. The region is just so damn flat and the idea that you could get in a car and end up in a rural frontier is just not realistic.

New Orleans as a city has soemthing unique that other areas don't have, it also has a unique history, culture, and a sprawling geographic bayou that could be weaved into the story. It lacks the geographic diversity of Southern California, but has unique geographic diversity to it.

I think Washington DC could work as a city that is unique from New York and South Eastern cities, it has it's own history and style that you don't get in Baltimore, New York, or further South down to Charlston or really Southern American cities.

But, still, it's tough to really beat Miami, LA/SA, and NYC in terms of their opportunity for story telling and a diverse geography.

Question: Could Rockstar use something like the algorithm Hello Games used to create the planets in No Man's Sky to create the interior of the buildings?

They definitely could, but I don't think they would. Rockstar focuses on a truly bespoke worlds. I'd like to see more interior buildings, but Rockstar usually doesn't put their interiors to waste. When you have an algorithm creating your worlds, that can discourage exploration as much as it encourages it, because the world doesn't feel like people built it. It can work for a planet hopping game, but the thing about the world we live in is that people built towns and cities, so when you have an algorithm generate your city, it ends up feeling inorganic and it discourages exploration. I've always liked, in GTA games, that everything is intentional... It's like someone created this building for me to explore it, rather than it being a random accident.

Make it two protagonists, one male and one female. Preferably PoC.

As for setting, I have no idea, I'm not that familiar with the US. I'd like it to be London but we know that isn't happening. Only gonna be America. Would like a different time period.

Hopefully they tone down their "satire", because it's rubbish.

Pretty much agreed. Rockstar can do good "satire" for a videogame, but it also does a lot of junk that's like lower-level than South Park "satire." Like GTAIV, the Statue of Liberty is holding a Starbucks cup and it looks like Hillary Clinton... Like... That joke wasn't really funny in 2008, and it just ages poorly. When you want to create a convincing world, you have to think, would some historic statue really be holding ... a starbucks cup, even if you're trying to satire American consumerism, it just comes off as super lame and detracts from the world. "MET LIFE" building being renamed "GET A LIFE," it's just really silly stuff that might be funny to a 10 year old doing MADLIBS cartoons, which is not the demographic that Rockstar targets with their games (e.g., 18+ mature rated audience). You've got this meticulously recreated skyline, with recreations of the Chrysler building and this famous architecture, and then a lame joke sitting at the top of it that really breaks you out of the immersion. Businesses called WankBank, SchlongBerg Sachs, etc

GTAV improved the level of satire to a degree, but it was still weak. Jokes that worked in 2004 when you were 20 playing GTA:SA about guys having sex with each other just don't work as well when you're 32, in 2016. Rockstar's best satire has always been it's subtle satire. Whoever does the writing for the radio stations has, generally, always done a really good job, especially for videogame writing. For the most part, jokes don't batter you over the head on the radio stations, they're subtle plays on the personality types of the DJs and listeners, with recurring jokes that you reward you for paying attention through the playlist... At least, most of them. But then there are some big swings and misses. GTAV was so obsessed with Yoga culture, they let it take over the whole game.. Everything was a satire on Yoga culture, and it just showed that the writers were not from America and specifically not from LA, where yoga culture was big..... 10+ years ago, and that sort of 'aggressive yuppie yoga' type hasn't been memeworthy in a decade.

When Rockstar can take a step back and stop trying so hard to be funny, it ends up coming off as much funnier and more endearing. The clever jabs and jokes lightly inserted into RDR, like the newspaper headlines or the ambient characters in the towns, end up having a preserved humor to them... Where as the crazy guy yokel who sleeps with dead people might be a funny trope for about 20 seconds, but then it kind of wears off and hurts the game long term.

DigSCCP

People talking about VC are crazy.
I really like VC but it doesn't make any sense to what R* obsviouly is gonna aim : GTAO.
Unless they extend VC area A LOT its imposible to expect them going back to VC.

_Rob_

People talking about VC are crazy.
I really like VC but it doesn't make any sense to what R* obsviouly is gonna aim : GTAO.
Unless they extend VC area A LOT its imposible to expect them going back to VC.

Florida is a big place, Miami (Vice City) could easily be surrounded by other settlements or keys.

I finally bought GTAV and started playing for the first time so this is perfect timing! I'm kind of expecting this to follow the same trend. Release on current-gen consoles right as next-gen is on the horizon. Follow up with an "enhanced" version for the new hardware a year or two later. Worked really well for them with five.

Yukinari

I expect to be disappointed and to follow the hype train where everyone realizes that Rockstar isnt going to deliver on single player DLC again.

big fake

Another day passes, another lack of mention for Bully 2 :(. Why can't the best Rockstar Games be given a sequels. Where did the experimental Rockstar go?

News about GTA 6 in development is like saying the sun comes out every day. It's no surprise.

_Rob_

If they took the route of adding new areas its a posibility.
But VC as original VC is clearly a no go.

Oh definitely, I'm just imaging they would. I can't see them simply expanding the city like they did with IV, because all of the work that went into GTA V's countryside and animals would want to be carried over. In fact even in GTA IV they originally planned on having some unpopulated forest areas, but due to time constraints decided against it.

After GTA Online happened I'm really not all that excited for GTA 6. I don't think Rockstar will be going in the direction I want.

This is what bothers me.

And I'm worried what happens to RDR.

I play the games for the singleplayer, but since GTA SA I haven't felt the same way about GTA anymore.

IV and V didn't pull me in the same ways Vice City and SA did. SA is still the top GTA in my books.

deo

Banned
This is what bothers me.

And I'm worried what happens to RDR.

I play the games for the singleplayer, but since GTA SA I haven't felt the same way about GTA anymore.

IV and V didn't pull me in the same ways Vice City and SA did. SA is still the top GTA in my books.

I agree. GTA SA was the most ambitious game R* has ever created Its amazing how they pulled that off on PS2 hardware

JP

Good news bust but I really doubt they'd be in any hurry to release it with the constantly strong sales of GTAV. I wish they would though.😖

In terms of a setting for the next game, the Housers are always very heavily influenced by movies. GTA V took a lot of cues from Heat (in particular), RDR took cues from The Proposition (in particular), Max Payne 3 took cues from Man On Fire (in particular). In terms of guessing the next GTA direction, I think it's best to start by thinking about what movies they might be influenced by.

I'm trying to think of some movies that might be on their list... Miami Vice and The Town seem like good candidates. Maybe Sicario and End of Watch, although they're getting a bit away from the criminal aspect. Maybe The Wire. What are some other good American crime flicks from the last 5 or so years?

LAM09

Less excited about it knowing a lot of resources will go into the online part of the game after GTAV success.

Suggests they're making good progress as mocap work is usually done in the latter stages of development.
Err, that's not a safe assumption. Mocap can go on for almost the entire length of development. If anything it wraps earlier than most assets because it needs so much clean up work.

Top Bottom