• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight - Beautifully animated 2D 'vania - On Kickstarter

Nabs

I just played the hour+ demo and I'm so sold on it. I wish it would come out right now, I don't have a lot I want to play at the moment.

Maedre

Banned
This looks so nice. Couldn't find a list of the platforms it will be releases. Is the PS4 and maybe the switch on it?

Cerium

This... actually looks really great.

I guess my only question is if the gameplay is there to go with the atmosphere.

Only got to play an earlier test build and not the most recent one from Humble Monthly, but even half a year ago (if not longer) it was already very promising. Devs were also open to dialogue when I got to talk to someone from their team re: constructive feedback thanks to this very thread, so I'm very curious to see in which ways they've improved and expanded the game now that it's finally done and dusted. Glad people are starting to notice Hollow Knight.

Kyuur

Wow, I hadn't heard about this one till now. Looks great!

Please be better than Shovel Knight

I'll bite; what about Shovel Knight didn't you like that you want this to avoid? Shovel Knight is, both critically and commercially, one of (if not the) best KS game. I could understand if you said MN9 or something.

It's reasonably similar to Shovel Knight in that it involves lots of technical platforming and combat where space management and awareness are the primary arbiters of your success, and they both have downward attacks that let you pogo on enemies. If you're looking for something like Symphony of the Night where none of the platforming is hard and defeating enemies is mostly a matter of wailing on them then this game isn't for you.

The comment was for the fact that the title has an adjective followed by Knight, not really because the games may have similarities. Honestly, this looks way different than Shovel Knight (certainly in structure, even though it may share some mechanics)

I'll bite; what about Shovel Knight didn't you like that you want this to avoid? Shovel Knight is, both critically and commercially, one of (if not the) best KS game. I could understand if you said MN9 or something.

I liked the game, but felt it was way too easy. I expected the difficulty to be much closer to it's influences, Classic Castlevania and Mega Man. It seemed like the devs were afraid to alienate modern gamers. Based on how successful the game was, they definitely made the right move. But for me, it was kinda disappointing, especially when difficulty was something that was stressed pre release (though to be fair I think this was mainly journalists, not the devs themselves).

Five

Banned
The comment was for the fact that the title has an adjective followed by Knight, not really because the games may have similarities. Honestly, this looks way different than Shovel Knight (certainly in structure, even though it may share some mechanics)

I liked the game, but felt it was way too easy. I expected the difficulty to be much closer to it's influences, Classic Castlevania and Mega Man. It seemed like the devs were afraid to alienate modern gamers. Based on how successful the game was, they definitely made the right move. But for me, it was kinda disappointing, especially when difficulty was something that was stressed pre release (though to be fair I think this was mainly journalists, not the devs themselves).

That makes sense. This game is definitely more challenging that Shovel Knight.

Looks incredible, day one on switch for me.
I think it could end up being a bit hit on switch with a lot of metroidvania fans that normally buy nintendo handhelds for just this type of game.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Between Team Cherry, Yacht Club Games and Shin'en, my Switch will be well fed on indies. So glad I backed this and that they took the right business decision in "Switching".

FoxSpirit

What really made it silly was
the invincibility item. That killed basically any challenge.
Should've been relegated to a New Game+.

Mieu

I actually thought this was a PS game until I saw the kickstarter page. 😂😂😂

I hope it sells well. Looks really good and promising.

Stoze

I've been so excited for this that I had to post here. I played the sneak peek for this a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it so much I had to force myself to stop playing after beating the main boss so I wouldn't spoil too much for myself. Yesterday I got bored, so naturally I caved in and explored the rest of it. Pro tip:
You can bounce off spikes with a well executed downwards slash.

I pretty much liked everything about it and was super impressed. If the rest of the game holds up, I think this is going to be something really special.

Five

Banned
I've been so excited for this that I had to post here. I played the sneak peek for this a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it so much I had to force myself to stop playing after beating the main boss so I wouldn't spoil too much for myself. Yesterday I got bored, so naturally I caved in and explored the rest of it. Pro tip:
You can bounce off spikes with a well executed downwards slash.

I pretty much liked everything about it and was super impressed. If the rest of the game holds up, I think this is going to be something really special.

Was the boss
False Knight
? Tbh you're only scratching the surface. You can get to and defeat him within twelve minutes of starting the game. By the end of the game you'll have run into a couple dozen other bosses of his or greater caliber.

Stoze

Was the boss
False Knight
? Tbh you're only scratching the surface. You can get to and defeat him within twelve minutes of starting the game. By the end of the game you'll have run into a couple dozen other bosses of his or greater caliber.

Yeah that was the first one, yesterday I found two other bosses and another shopkeeper with a bunch of key items, but that's where I stopped. The other bosses were really good fights as well.

Elixist

Very anxious about the Switch version. It sounds like we might be waiting months for it.

image.php

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Keys are out - I'm gonna check this out this weekend. Still gotta tweak my 360 controller, it's not working perfectly yet on my Mac :/

Tizoc

Keys are out - I'm gonna check this out this weekend. Still gotta tweak my 360 controller, it's not working perfectly yet on my Mac :/

Just redeemed mine. I'm gonna finish up Ghost busters 2009 and 2064 first before playing it though :p

FoxSpirit

I didn't fill out the survey so apparently didn't get a key. Already wrote an email to the assigned address but daaaaaamn, unlock time is close already :-(

Top Bottom