• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is there a way to make a mp3 or something out of Zote's rambling (you know the one,
showing off to Bretta
)?

I would love to use it as a ring tone lol

W
hite
P
alace
is terrific. Many thumbs up!

I comprehend why some people would find it aggravating, but it's an impeccable piece of design for a game that previously had not truly spent much time on
hardcore platforming
. Bits and pieces scattered about in numerous locations that toyed with the idea for a short period, sure, but hardly with as much bravado as in W
hite
P
alace
. Before I wasn't 100% fully convinced if Team Cherry undeniably had the chops for this kind of gameplay 'twist' (if you can even call it such) since it's extremely easy to fall into very simple pitfalls many other, lesser developers trip into... but they've cleanly avoided most of those common design sins. For example: you're virtually never thrusted into a new predicament blindly (read: leaps of faith) no matter how strict it is and often times there are background details you can employ for exact positioning during moments that demand pinpoint accuracy. There are additional forward-thinking touches like these, but you get the idea.

What really sold it for me however, is how they sneakily included shortcuts for dexterous players with a keen eye to capitalize on, relatively demanding methods of skipping chunk(s) of an elaborate room. Here's a few (but not all) I stumbled upon after examining the situation:

ceduik.gif
syuiqs.gif

Shame you can't revisit it upon completion nor copy save files, 'cause it'd be tempting to break it down in speedrun fashion.

A couple other NPC interactions I missed out on during my playthrough that I've seen while watching BaerTaffy play:

• There's some additional dialogue with D
    ung
    D
    efender
    if you go back to his area later on.
D
ung
D
efender
could use this kind of treatment:

iwviox.gif

TeaJay

I've been playing this pretty intensively a few days but I've hit a dead end at

City of Tears. I just can't beat the boss and the trek back is super annoying with those teleporting motherf*ckers that I just want to run past. Why couldn't they put a save point closer?

But anyhoo, the Soul Master keeps destroying me really fast. I have the nail upgrade and the ability that makes the weapon range longer, but it's so hard to hit him and dodge his attacks at the same time.

Shredderi

12h in and the game is amazing! From the gameplay to the adorable and quirky NPC characters
Bretta actually blushes when you sit next to her in Dirtmouth :>
, it is top notch metroidvania entertainment. Remarkable atmosphere too. The huge scale is dizzying at times. It's always a battle to decide which part of the map I will go explore next or which part I will return to with new skills. Really need that double jump next I think since that has been the main roadblock for me now.

Also, what the fuck is up with this game looking so good? I've been led to believe that achieving this level of 2D graphics and animation in a big game like this requires millions upon millions.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This game was running perfectly for 25 hours of playtime, I went out of town for a week, and today when I boot it up it's constantly freezing for a second at a time and load times between rooms are extra long. What the fuck happened?

Anyone else have this problem or, more importantly, a solution?

Edit: rebooting everything fixed it so never mind! Still curious what the problem was.

d00d3n

The Colosseum trials are so damn punishing. I died after ten waves of enemies, and I don't think I am up for trying again ... :( Maybe with a better weapon, but not with the level 2 nail.

Cels

i just think i finished the area of the map called
ancient basin.
after i killed the area's boss
its corpse had dream particles over it so i dream nailed it and fought a dream version of it that was way harder. lost kin is
probably my favorite boss of the game so far.

The Colosseum trials are so damn punishing. I died after ten waves of enemies, and I don't think I am up for trying again ... :( Maybe with a better weapon, but not with the level 2 nail.

the last trial is a giant pain in the ass, the first two are pretty easy. i did them with level 2 nail, i'm sure a lot of people have done them with level 1

Achieved 100% today, stellar total package and top contender in the genre for me. Will be there day 1 for the DLC.

the last trial is a giant pain in the ass, the first two are pretty easy. i did them with level 2 nail, i'm sure a lot of people have done them with level 1
I echo this sentiment.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just want to say I haven't enjoyed a game in this genre this much since the release of Valdis Story. I really hope this game get's better exposure and the switch helps it blow up a little bit

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Finished the game today at 92%. I might have tried to do more but I'm suddenly having the performance issues that many have complained about. I just decided to get it over with. Loved the game but it's kind of a sour note to end on. I hope they fix whatever it is.

d00d3n

Finished the game today at 92%. I might have tried to do more but I'm suddenly having the performance issues that many have complained about. I just decided to get it over with. Loved the game but it's kind of a sour note to end on. I hope they fix whatever it is.

I have been having some performance issues as well in the deepest. My overclocked 5820k and Titan X Pascal are not cutting it ...

Seriously, though, the
bank heist
has crushed my spirits. All that money gone forever ... I could have bought so many nice things!

:(

Shredderi

Man the
dream
battle in
ancient basin
seems like it has been deliberately designed to deny healing midbattle even with fast focus :/

Stoze

Man the
dream
battle in
ancient basin
seems like it has been deliberately designed to deny healing midbattle even with fast focus :/

Do you mean
Lost Kin
? You get a chance to heal every time he goes down, you don't attack him there.

Yeah the last trial sucks, I don't know why they made it that long. I wouldn't even attempt the last one until you have a max upgraded nail and you've done everything else you've wanted to do, since all it gives you is
money
and adds to completion percentage.

Shredderi

Do you mean
Lost Kin
? You get a chance to heal every time he goes down, you don't attack him there.

Yeah, but
he spawns those infections to make sure that it's extremely hard/impossible to get even one heal in :/

Edit: Ok I beat him now using
fragile charms.

FoxSpirit

I have been having some performance issues as well in the deepest. My overclocked 5820k and Titan X Pascal are not cutting it ...

Seriously, though, the
bank heist
has crushed my spirits. All that money gone forever ... I could have bought so many nice things!

:(
Performance: no background stuff. Smooth on my 1060.

And for yor woes:
you can find her again behind the locked door in the city and make double back. Enjoy the dialogue too.

Maximo

Beat the game at 24 hours with true ending and 80% complete so not bad! Man that
Radiance fight
is a bitch and the ending is
...sad didn't expect it to go that way but I guess his purpose was fulfilled

Elixist

agreed, the like 5 waves of staying on the wall was pretty brutal. would've been nice to show some mercy and save you at the boss if you make it. thankfully the boss is pretty easy once you know your safe in the upper corners. it really should've gave you a charm as reward as well, geo yay /s i dont need it.

What do you need to do for tried ending?

Or can you get them all in one go?
You can get them all on a single save file; no reset shenanigans or anything of the sort. Need to get three items for the true ending, starting somewhere in
Ancient Basin
after finding something of value in
Kingdom's Edge

agreed, the like 5 waves of staying on the wall was pretty brutal. would've been nice to show some mercy and save you at the boss if you make it. thankfully the boss is pretty easy once you know your safe in the upper corners. it really should've gave you a charm as reward as well, geo yay /s i dont need it.
Just chiming in for the sake of discussion given that you already completed it, but personally I got loads of mileage out of the Nail Arts during the 'walls only' waves. Took care of the smaller flying bugs in one hit (important for crowd control) with a maxed out nail and the charm that charges them up much quicker, whilst conserving most of my Soul energy for later use. I'm sure there's enough legroom for players to craft out other strategies too to suit their preferences.

And nah, not receiving a charm is very much in line with the theme of that trial. It did announce you'd be a "fool" for participating!

d00d3n

Performance: no background stuff. Smooth on my 1060.

And for yor woes:
you can find her again behind the locked door in the city and make double back. Enjoy the dialogue too.

Thanks! Very satisfying way of getting my money back as well!

Shredderi

I can't believe how well this game "emulates" dark souls in 2D. Not in all the build and equipment departments, but in atmosphere and feel. The bonfire(bench), the losing of souls when you die and needing to retrieve them. Lore stuff:
You're a silent warrior who comes in to a once glorious kingdom that has long since fallen. You come in after the more bombastic phase of the apocalypse to witness a more beatiful and somber desolation, like in Dark Souls. You have a lot of NPC characters that appear in different locations throughout the game.
These were the main reasons I loved DS1 and they are the main reasons I love this game.

I can't believe how well this game "emulates" dark souls in 2D. Not in all the build and equipment departments, but in atmosphere and feel. The bonfire(bench), the losing of souls when you die and needing to retrieve them. Lore stuff:
You're a silent warrior who comes in to a once glorious kingdom that has long since fallen. You come in after the more bombastic phase of the apocalypse to witness a more beatiful and somber desolation, like in Dark Souls. You have a lot of NPC characters that appear in different locations throughout the game.
These were the main reasons I loved DS1 and they are the main reasons I love this game.
What's remarkable about the NPC's in Hollow Knight is despite conversational interactions with them strictly being text in conjunction with (limited) gobbledygook voice-overs, they still exude oodles of charisma. They burst with idiosyncratic tendencies thanks to the spot-on writing and the made-up language (with distinct dialects) adds charm too! Plus, I like how the devs took the right kind of cue from Dark Souls' characterization in that members of the cast are proper inhabitants of the world with their own long-term goals or reasons that gradually unfold, rather than only being given purpose (and quickly forgotten about) just because the player character happens to be there à la vanilla Dark Souls II.

Shredderi

What's remarkable about the NPC's in Hollow Knight is despite conversational interactions with them strictly being text in conjunction with (limited) gobbledygook voice-overs, they still exude oodles of charisma. They burst with idiosyncratic tendencies thanks to the spot-on writing and the made-up language (with distinct dialects) adds charm too! Plus, I like how the devs took the right kind of cue from Dark Souls' characterization in that members of the cast are proper inhabitants of the world with their own long-term goals or reasons that gradually unfold, rather than only being given purpose (and quickly forgotten about) just because the player character happens to be there à la vanilla Dark Souls II.

Well said! I really haven't played a 2D metroidvania like this before. I'm now 27h and I admit that the game turned out to be significantly better than I expected. I liked the look of it from the beginning but the game overdelivered for me. And the visuals are so good. I dabble in game design and I'm constantly wondering about the solutions they did visually to make it seem like the places are actual physical spaces. The backgrounds and the different layers they use when scrolling through the screen so that they shift just a little bit so it seems like the angle of things changes a tiny bit is really effective. This just something I couldn't help but notice.

Sarcasm

Where is the capital? Guy at dirtmoth is useless.

I been roaming in this game for at least 5 hours with no boss kills, but a ton of stops opened up (
Down to King's Stand?landing
).

I am tired of being lost as I don't have more notches and can't buy anything. Even the vendor doesn't update. -.-

Please halp.

Here is a screenie of where I have been, not all complete because I can't remember previous places if they had places to go that you couldn't get to if you didn't have x skill.

https://abload.de/img/367520_20170403090418o5y1o.png

Shredderi

Npc spoilers:
Noo Cloth ;_; The game seems hell bent on killing off my most adorable allies. First Myla, now this. This game is breaking my heart.

Where is the capital? Guy at dirtmoth is useless.

I been roaming in this game for at least 5 hours with no boss kills, but a ton of stops opened up (
Down to King's Stand?landing
).

I am tired of being lost as I don't have more notches and can't buy anything. Even the vendor doesn't update. -.-

Please halp.

Here is a screenie of where I have been, not all complete because I can't remember previous places if they had places to go that you couldn't get to if you didn't have x skill.

https://abload.de/img/367520_20170403090418o5y1o.png

What mobility skills do you have? I'll be able to guide you better once I know where you can go.

Sarcasm

Npc spoilers:
Noo Cloth ;_; The game seems hell bent on killing off my most adorable allies. First Myla, now this. This game is breaking my heart.

What mobility skills do you have? I'll be able to guide you better once I know where you can go.

I only have claw. I think I am suppose to do something in City of Tears, that sound capital-ish.

I have only been three bosses...
False Knight
Hornet 1
Mantis

Also what do you do with those trees with the many pink circles? I keep skipping them as I don't think I can use them.

How do you even remember what you skipped -.-

Anno

I only have claw. I think I am suppose to do something in City of Tears, that sound capital-ish.

I have only been three bosses...
False Knight
Hornet 1
Mantis

Also what do you do with those trees with the many pink circles? I keep skipping them as I don't think I can use them.

How do you even remember what you skipped -.-

You need to
beat the boss in the City of Tears
to get the next power that progresses you in the story.

Sarcasm

Thanks.

What are those tree with pink circles mean? I just found another in a room by itself.

So question, on some fights like in an arena (but not boss I guess) do you not heal? This dude I been fighting doesn't have a moment of exhaustion in like Souls/MH where you can at least get off one heal.

Every move this dude does he immediately does another. I just dodged for 25 minutes and no chance to heal.

Love the game but the controls suck are floaty. Joy isn't precise and directions get activated. Dpad and you can't do most of the things.

Frimaire

Thanks.

What are those tree with pink circles mean? I just found another in a room by itself.

So question, on some fights like in an arena (but not boss I guess) do you not heal? This dude I been fighting doesn't have a moment of exhaustion in like Souls/MH where you can at least get off one heal.

Every move this dude does he immediately does another. I just dodged for 25 minutes and no chance to heal.

Love the game but the controls suck are floaty. Joy isn't precise and directions get activated. Dpad and you can't do most of the things.

The trees become collectibles once you get a certain piece of equipment.
I'm pretty sure the "Exhausted" state that gives you a chance to heal is caused by damage, so you could dodge forever and not get it.

Sarcasm

The trees become collectibles once you get a certain piece of equipment.
I'm pretty sure the "Exhausted" state that gives you a chance to heal is caused by damage, so you could dodge forever and not get it.

Talking about this dude that isn't a boss. I can repeatedly hit him and he doesn't "stagger".

If I take a point of damage I can't heal because he never stops. Dude is harder than the last bosses I fought. With the bosses at least I had a chance to heal, even with mantis.

Half my battle is fighting the controls in this game though.

Alright, got my down smash....now where did I see all those places that wiggled when I ran on it -.-

TeaJay

Alright, got my down smash....now where did I see all those places that wiggled when I ran on it -.-

Just a heads up, since I did the same thing earlier: if you do this on the location in Forgotten crossroads upper right corner,
you get to a new area where you can't get out of until you finish it and get the area item

Correct me if I'm wrong on that last part but after looking
at all kinds of maps I don't think you can get out of Crystal peak before getting the Crystal dash?

Personally I'm at Ancient basin boss. After I beat this guy I can go exploring again
with the double jump
. This guy doesn't really feel like he's super hard or anything, but at the later part of the fight there's a lot of stuff on the screen and I end up taking hits more than I can heal.

I disagree with the controls being floaty / lacking precision, but you're going to need to be specific if you want advice on how to handle "this dude." Post a screenshot or something if you're still struggling.

That said, a lot of players who broadcast their playthroughs are rather hung up on the notion of using Soul primarily for healing and I've seen them lose battles over it. If creating an opening for safe HP recovery is difficult, use your Soul for your special abilities instead, since the game is quite generous in giving you Soul through melee attacks anyways. Also, you've likely missed the statue in Fungal Wastes that carries a
Dashmaster charm
going off of your previous posts and that'll naturally up your general mobility. Ought to be accessible with your current skill set I believe, and with it you can also wade through a different area in the north-east section of the map that'll provide you with
another mobility trait
, which subsequently will make more locations available to you.

Sarcasm

I killed him.

Controls are slightly better with vsync off (forgot I turned it on when I tried to fix the weird stutter it had which I did before finding out about the beta). Still fight them but not as much.

Dunno why they fuss about using souls to heal, really no different than anything else. I mean GEO is separate, so the souls in this isn't the same as in soulsborne.

Nabs

*snip*

This is not my experience at all. I played the entire game with the DS4 dpad and it was perfect. What can't you do with the dpad exactly?

I hope you figure out what's causing your problems, because the game should not be laggy or hard to control. I also played the entire thing with vsync on.

Cels

Npc spoilers:

cloth wanted to die in battle though to meet a companion in the afterlife. so it's "good" that she dies in battle like she wanted.

Shredderi

cloth wanted to die in battle though to meet a companion in the afterlife. so it's "good" that she dies in battle like she wanted.

True I guess.

Very big spoilers regarding a boss:
So I've died to Radiance about 20 times now. I think that's enough. Anyone got any cheese tactics? I'm so ready to cheese it :D I've tried 20 different charm combinations. Those damn yellow balls...

Edit:
Nevermind. I always seem to get it done RIGHT after going to GAF to ask about boss issues xD

FoxSpirit

This is not my experience at all. I played the entire game with the DS4 dpad and it was perfect. What can't you do with the dpad exactly?

I hope you figure out what's causing your problems, because the game should not be laggy or hard to control. I also played the entire thing with vsync on.
Yeah, also used a DS4, controls were tight and precise. Hope you figure out your problems, later bosses need good control.

Cels

there's an optional part of the game that's a lot like super meat boy but not anywhere near as good

why did they decide to do this?

True I guess.

Very big spoilers regarding a boss:
So I've died to Radiance about 20 times now. I think that's enough. Anyone got any cheese tactics? I'm so ready to cheese it :D I've tried 20 different charm combinations. Those damn yellow balls...

Edit:
Nevermind. I always seem to get it done RIGHT after going to GAF to ask about boss issues xD
Pointless tips since you already beat it;
the Up + B magic attack (Abyssal Shriek?) is fairly potent against the Radiance, since it's easy for the multi-hits to occur with a target that massive. You can also squeeze in between the spears too (the individual gaps alongside the larger intended ones) as well as bounce off of them with the downwards aerial nail strike
. Not exactly cheese, but the former especially can land some big damage quickly once he starts moving around more often.

there's an optional part of the game that's a lot like super meat boy but not anywhere near as good

why did they decide to do this?
Obviously Hollow Knight doesn't have the same fluidity to its controls as Super Meat Boy - very few platformers do anyways - but that optional stretch still included expertly designed obstacles.
Buzzsaws within a luxurious dream castle
being a comical juxtaposition notwithstanding!

Cels

You collect something to help you get the true ending if you mean White Palace.

yea i got all 4 endings now after clearing it. the whole area doesn't make any sense why the place would be like that...just felt very videogamey even though you're in a
white purityish dream with retainers bowing down to you...then...all the saws flying around just like super meatboy
. felt jarring.

but thankfully

1. it's optional
2. you can cheese it with hiveblood and that's what i did, and
3. checkpoints are generous

Obviously Hollow Knight doesn't have the same fluidity to its controls as Super Meat Boy - very few platformers do anyways - but that optional stretch still included expertly designed obstacles.
Buzzsaws within a luxurious dream castle
being a comical juxtaposition notwithstanding!

the controls are fine by me. you're right, not as fluid as super meat boy, but fine for this game. jumping is a little floaty but i got used to it. when the controls work as intended i'm fine with them which is, to be fair, 99% of the time. but in that 1% of the time i'll double jump at the start of a regular jump even though i pressed A only once, or even worse, a double jump won't come out for whatever reason. cost me on a certain quest later in the game that i felt was definitely not my fault at all.

it's not tied to frame drops either, which do happen with some regularity. every one of the transitions between enemy waves in the colosseum causes dropped frames for me. same with jumping into water/acid. they occur whether or not vsync is on, and i have a pc much more powerful than needed to run this kind of game

Dryk

I found out the other day that this game started it's life at a Ludum Dare 27 event hosted by the game jam club run by some of my closest friends. It's great to see the local scene getting so much love.

Mr.Jeff

Somewhere around 45 hours and I've got things locked down for the True Ending. Did WP today and while it's was frustrating, I also found it ridiculously fun.

Every time I felt something was impossible, I eventually got the hang of it and on a number of occasions, discovered it was merely a sample of what was to follow.

I've just got the flower sidequest to do, 1 side boss then the 3 normal story bosses before the final showdown.

I think my biggest compliment I can say is that normally, I begin to feel a weary urge to be done with a game when it approaches this kind of time but with this game, I'm really not feeling that at all.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'll say my only negative about the game and it's not a real gripe, but the art style and atmosphere is really mentally draining to me. I want to binge the game but always have the hardest time lol It's just so visually oppressing

Top Bottom