• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

Oynox

I'll say my only negative about the game and it's not a real gripe, but the art style and atmosphere is really mentally draining to me. I want to binge the game but always have the hardest time lol It's just so visually oppressing

I would say that this is a great thing if a game manages to achieve some strong feeling like that. Too me it is the art style for the most part that makes this game brilliant. I actually dislike some of the harder trial and error parts though the metroidvania formula is executed perfectly nonetheless.

Steam guide:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=873948268
Simply ask for the ones you can't find.
Alright, I only need to snoop around for info on the Garpede location now. Thanks!

I'll say my only negative about the game and it's not a real gripe, but the art style and atmosphere is really mentally draining to me. I want to binge the game but always have the hardest time lol It's just so visually oppressing
Dito about it having a draining effect. What's telling about the game's atmosphere, is that a lot of it is attributed to the audio design. Whoever was in charge knew how to sell weight / impact, the devs realized when employing quiet time was appropriate and the ambiance in certain places attempts to get under your skin the longer you stick around in one of those areas, whether it be due to the 'soundtrack' typically being layered (taking away / adding based on specific moments) or providing uncomfortable directional feedback. The aforementioned wouldn't be as effective either if the underlying theme for its aesthetic design wasn't as inspired, so while these aspects nicely work in tandem, it wouldn't have been as successful of an end result if the game didn't keep you on your toes with its highly varied creature and environmental design. Which is further accentuated by some curve ball triggers as you progress through the storyline campaign.

It's kind of funny to me in hindsight how often I didn't trust Hollow Knight at first glance - games rarely leave room to second-guess matters - due to the sum of those parts. Takes a special and cohesive creative vision to accomplish that sort of lingering impression.

The audio design really doesn't get enough praise, especially the voice work.

I can't imagine how fun it was to record some of the bug noises like those split lamprey things in the sewers.

ryechu

It makes getting to a beautiful location all the more satsifying.
Queen's Gardens and White Palace, for example.

I'm going to go for all achievements next. I'm waiting to see the quality of the Switch version before trying to do 100% completion speed run in soul steel mode.

TeaJay

I just beat
The White Palace. It wasn't as much hard as tedious, just wanted to be over for the last couple screens. Worst part were the up-down fences in the low corridor.

Also tried the
Flower quest.
Died at the first enemy past Salumbra's hut. I loved the NPC's dialogue after I went back for another, though.

Maximo

Deepnest is especially bleak...cool area but man I always just wanted to get the hell out of there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Deepnest is especially bleak...cool area but man I always just wanted to get the hell out of there.

That's where I was when I made the post :D

And yeah the audio direction in this game mixed with it's art is absolutely superb, honestly I feel it's one of the best in gaming in that regard

d00d3n

I am sitting on a lot of cash with nothing to spend it on. Any other merchants than the one in dirtmouth (already unlocked his inventory once), the one in forgotten crossroads and the one in fungal wastes? I lack the ore to invest further in my nail.

A bit late to the party, but I finally finished Hollow Knight yesterday (normal ending, 96%), and what a wonderful journey that was. My biggest highlight (aside from solid gameplay and startling amount of content) was the world itself - with its very Dark Souls-like storytelling and lots of charming NPCs. I'll be definitely down for another game in this universe, even if it's going to be a simple point-and-click adventure - so that I could walk around and talk to all those weird bugs all day.

That being said, I was definitely soured by the W
hite
P
alace
on my way to the true ending. At some point inside I realised that I don't have nor patience nor dexterity for that kind of thing (and then proceeded to Youtube to spoil myself). That tarnished my final impression quite a bit. Still, probably one of the best games of the (very packed) year.

Nabs

You get the first map pretty early on. It just depends on when you run into the map maker. Explore and have fun.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Really torn on this game. I want to like it. I think the art and the feel of it are fantastic. I love that it's not just another generic pixel art game and the sense of control is just right. However, without a map, the game itself just feels really oppressive and overwhelming to me. I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. My understanding is that you unlock map stuff later on, but I don't know how long that will be and I really don't know if I can hold out until that point.

It's also too early for me to get a sense of the game's overall structure and how much of a "Metroidvania" it is. I really hope there are a lot more things to unlock down the road, but so far the only real roadblocks I've hit seem like a double jump is needed.

Keep exploring the Forgotten Crossroads. You'll find the map. And if it's too annoying, just look it up on the internet. You really should get further into the game before you decide to drop it. Looking things up won't ruin the game.

d00d3n

Really torn on this game. I want to like it. I think the art and the feel of it are fantastic. I love that it's not just another generic pixel art game and the sense of control is just right. However, without a map, the game itself just feels really oppressive and overwhelming to me. I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. My understanding is that you unlock map stuff later on, but I don't know how long that will be and I really don't know if I can hold out until that point.

It's also too early for me to get a sense of the game's overall structure and how much of a "Metroidvania" it is. I really hope there are a lot more things to unlock down the road, but so far the only real roadblocks I've hit seem like a double jump is needed.

The weird map mechanics are a bit confusing and don't improve the game in any way imo. That and the weak beginning section are my biggest issues with the game.

The game is very much a metroidvania, though. Rest assured that you will find a lot of gated stuff - by abilities, by keys and also paths that are hidden in plain sight. The density of gating is comparable with Super Metroid, the SOTN style Castlevania games and Shadow Complex, and higher than in more sectioned off metroidvania games like Ori and Momodora IV.

You can find the first map (and the ability to draw more of it per save) within the first half hour of playing, if not even sooner than that. Progression gates and discoveries are also more elaborate all-in-all than merely requiring a double jump; arguably one of the best "unlock and find shit" Metroidvanias in a long, long time.

The weird map mechanics are a bit confusing and don't improve the game in any way imo.
Different strokes, like you already said. I feel the exact opposite since the map has been adequately designed without relying on the navigational luxuries.

drotahorror

The lack of the jump down attack made me sad lol Shit straight up turns the game into hyper speed ducktales

Yeah towards the end of the video, especially when they're fighting the giant bug, I wish he had known you could do it. He even did it a couple times but Vinnie nor Alex realized it.

It's a gamechanger. It was one of the first things I did personally. In 2D games I always check to see what angles I can attack from.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah towards the end of the video, especially when they're fighting the giant bug, I wish he had known you could do it. He even did it a couple times but Vinnie nor Alex realized it.

It's a gamechanger. It was one of the first things I did personally. In 2D games I always check to see what angles I can attack from.

The biggest revelation I had with the game was when I noticed you could bounce off spikes with it. Some of the navigation you do using that is awesome as hell

drotahorror

The biggest revelation I had with the game was when I noticed you could bounce off spikes with it. Some of the navigation you do using that is awesome as hell

I didn't know that :D Ive played about 3 hours of it, watching the GB QL makes me want to go back to it now though. I liked what I played but some other stuff came out.

ryechu

3 playthroughs (4 if you count my soul steel run in which i died 9 hours in) and 70 hours later, I finally got all 52 achievements.
6gx2AFF.jpg

I've thrown a solid eight hours into this over the past few days. I'm pretty particular about my "Metroidvanias", because I feel like most of them do not know how to capitalise on the exploration angle of the genre. I'm pretty impressed to see how the game fares in this department. I'm constantly stumbling on new things, and I'm finding secrets regularly enough to really motivate me to try and find stuff. Aesthetically it's a gorgeous world, and I'm enamoured with the character designs.

The only nitpick I have is that I feel utterly underpowered, and this feeling only seems to increase the further I get. The difficulty of the enemies and their patterns are fine, but every enemy in the game has two or three times as much HP as I would have liked. Even really early on in the game, scrub mobs took three hits or more, and bosses seemed to last forever. A bit deeper into the game, it's gotten so ridiculous that I pretty much have to have missed one or two strength upgrades. I just beat the D
ung
D
efender
, and the battle took close to 20~25 minutes. The area after that has the the most basic of enemies that take seven swings to kill, and the bigger ones take like 20 hits or more to fell. I've been backtracking now, because I'm certain I've missed one or more critical upgrades. If anyone can help me on my way, I'd greatly appreciate it. To be honest, regardless if I did or didn't miss any upgrades, it does kind of make me wish the game had an easy mode.

Anno

I sure didn't. Do you remember if it was on the eastern or western side? I haven't really explored anything of the eastern half.

It's bottom left of the zone. Go left after you enter the city and go down to the bottom floor from the bench where Quirrel sat. You'll see signs.

Mr.Jeff

I sure didn't. Do you remember if it was on the eastern or western side? I haven't really explored anything of the eastern half.
It's the Western side; a small-ish area off to the side. From the entrance to the waterways, just keep heading west.
He upgrades your nail 3 times: First for 1 ore, second for 2 and last for 3.

jb1234

Anyone still working on this? I returned to the game today to finally do all the steps required to get the true ending. And five hours later, victory is mine!

I expected the White Palace to be harder than it was. If you bring the right charms, it's mostly just a matter of patience. I had a much harder time with Radiance. Probably died ten times to that fucker and of course, the game makes you fight Hollow Knight each time you lose, which is maddening (given that he's not difficult, just tedious). None of the endings make a great deal of sense (in grand Dark Souls fashion) but they're at least stylish.

33 hours! I've played BotW, Horizon: Zero Dawn and Persona 5 this year. All great games but Hollow Knight remains my GOTY.

Rakuyo

Neo Member
Just tried to start the game over the weekend, but my shitty laptop struggles really hard with the game :(
I hope the switch version releases soon, so I can finally enjoy the game!

TeaJay

Anyone still working on this? I returned to the game today to finally do all the steps required to get the true ending. And five hours later, victory is mine!

I've done pretty much everything in the game I can but I'm stuck in the fight against
Radiance
and my patience has worn out.

jb1234

I've done pretty much everything in the game I can but I'm stuck in the fight against
Radiance

He's really tough. I got the upper hand by using Fragile Strength (and quitting to the menu if I was in danger of dying so it wouldn't break) and just trying, over and over again. I think I won mostly by luck.

Frimaire

Radiance

If I recall, The fight got a lot easier once I used
The charm that increases spell damage.
Then you can stand under it at the beginning and mash the up-spell, It almost skips the first phase of the fight.
I forget what other charms I used, I think Joni's Blessing and the quick attack one?

jb1234

Just finished getting all the grubs and charms! 93%

I think I'm pretty much done at this point. It's hard to know exactly what I'm missing. It's funny how some of the most used charms I keep reading about (quick slash, for instance) I didn't get until I was almost finished with the game.

Tizoc

Got back into the game after a long break
I made it to
Kingdom's Edge
This game isn't ending any soon is it...

aka_bueno

Any update on Switch version?

It's making holding off on it really tough, knowing there's the Steam version ready to buy. I LOVE me a good Metroidvania...

Kwixotik

Love this game. Didn't ever really have too much of a problem with bosses. Even
White Palace wasn't that big of a deal with Hiveblood

But fucking
Radiance
. I can't beat him. I've tried probably 30 times. I have all the charms and spell upgrades. Anybody have tips for me?

ghibli99

I've been debating this one for a while. I have so many semi-similar games in my backlog (Ori, Guac, etc.), but I feel compelled to play this right now, so I bought it. If it's as good as I'm hearing, will surely double-dip on Switch. :)

Frimaire

Love this game. Didn't ever really have too much of a problem with bosses. Even
White Palace wasn't that big of a deal with Hiveblood

But fucking
Radiance
. I can't beat him. I've tried probably 30 times. I have all the charms and spell upgrades. Anybody have tips for me?

If I recall, The fight got a lot easier once I used
The charm that increases spell damage.
Then you can stand under it at the beginning and mash the up-spell, It almost skips the first phase of the fight.
I forget what other charms I used, I think Joni's Blessing and the quick attack one?

ryechu

Thanks for the tips. That's the load out I've been using though ��

I can generally get to the phase with the floating platforms with 4-5 health and then he makes short work of me

Yeah, shaman stone and the Abyss Shriek does the equivalent dmg of 6 upward slashes of the fully upgraded nail. I would just run joni's blessing, shaman stone, and spell twister. And just be careful to not tank too many unnecessary hits, and the fight should be over in a minute.

Top Bottom