• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight team hires Shark Jump Studios to expedite Switch version

Another game I would usually play with a Dpad, and I did on pc, but have to think twice about because of the left joycon.

I highly doubt this game will be below 60fps

ryechu

You guys are in for a treat. The recently announced free update, fixes any issues I had with the first game, by adding an train station in an isolated part of the map that you have to revisit multiple times, and another traversal option. This game was easily my game of the year over games like botw and persona 5. Although I feel like Splatoon might ultimately take the crown.

Kureransu

Indeed. There isn't a chance in hell I ever by another 2D game below 60fps. I give certain 3D games a pass, like Zelda, but framerate is way too important for me and my eyes.

This piqued my interest. Movies and cartoons (including anime) run at 24 fps, with the later using only 12 images in most cases. Tv shows generally run at basically 30. DO watching those things bother you or our eyes as much? Or would you say proper frame pacing is more of the culprit?

I'm legit curious. I am in no way trying to insult you. It's just that games have been sub 60 and in a lot of cases sub 30 for SO many years, in both 2D/2.5D/3D, I can't see why all the sudden anything under 60 is unacceptable. Obviously you (and phanphare) are well entitled to your opinion of the matter and i'll respect that, even if it's just a principle thing. But if it's more, i'd like to know so i'm not ignorant to this topic anymore.

Rmagnus

Banned
This piqued my interest. Movies and cartoons (including anime) run at 24 fps, with the later using only 12 images in most cases. Tv shows generally run at basically 30. DO watching those things bother you or our eyes as much? Or would you say proper frame pacing is more of the culprit?

I'm legit curious. I am in no way trying to insult you. It's just that games have been sub 60 and in a lot of cases sub 30 for SO many years, in both 2D/2.5D/3D, I can't see why all the sudden anything under 60 is unacceptable. Obviously you (and phanphare) are well entitled to your opinion of the matter and i'll respect that, even if it's just a principle thing. But if it's more, i'd like to know so i'm not ignorant to this topic anymore.

Movies, cartoons and so on do not need input from user to function. So it does not make sense to compare them. A 60fps game will always play better than anything that is below it. Castlevania LOS frame rate was so bad it gave me a headache when I tried to play it.

The Hermit

Sweet!

Switch is the full game + free DLC at launch, no need to wait longer.

So it'll probably launch along the DLC in July or a bit later.

Cartoons and anime aren't interactive entertainment.

Kureransu

Movies, cartoons and so on do not need input from user to function. So it does not make sense to compare them. A 60fps game will always play better than anything that is below it. Castlevania LOS frame rate was so bad it gave me a headache when I tried to play it.

I'm comparing it from "good for your eyes" perspective, so yes, it does make sense to compare them. I'm not trying to compare a crappy sporadic frame rate. I asked if it was more a frame pacing issue more so than a locks smooth 30 fps.

Cartoons and anime aren't interactive entertainment.

first sentence.

CazTGG

Surprised to hear such rapid results with regards to the Switch version. Here's hoping there aren't any difficulties with regards to performance.

Rmagnus

Banned
I'm comparing it from "good for your eyes" perspective, so yes, it does make sense to compare them. I'm not trying to compare a crappy sporadic frame rate. I asked if it was more a frame pacing issue more so than a locks smooth 30 fps.

first sentence.

A locked 60fps is always better than a locked 30fps. You don't only watch a game tho, so I don't get the part where you removing the playing portion. As I mentioned games are interactive, if you remove the game playing part how is it a game?

Dryk

I hope a few of our other up-and-coming indie games do well too, I really enjoyed what I played of Spryke last year.

Team Cherry itself is Australian so I think they wanted to keep it local.
Yeah they're also Adelaide-based. My friends on the Jamalaide committee can't stop accidentally calling Hollow Knight by the name of the jam prototype it's based on, it's really funny.

WUT a fellow Aussie? I had no idea fucking go them.
I found out last week that Shower With Your Dad Simulator is Australian. A lot of our indie output doesn't really get noticed as coming from here. AVCon tends to be really good for showing off indies because the guy that runs the IGR is really passionate about the industry, and a few devs (Melbourne devs especially) have told me they love coming here instead of PAX because it's way cheaper and smaller games get more exposure.

Kureransu

A locked 60fps is always better than a locked 30fps. You don't only watch a game tho, so I don't get the part where you removing the playing portion. As I mentioned games are interactive, if you remove the game playing part how is it a game?
again not the point. your eyes watch the game. i get doubling the frames gives you a smoother visuals, but does 30fps really put a strain on your eyes, when so much other media runs at that frame rate?

I have never liked low framerate games, but had little choice in the matter. When I was a bit more young (and ignorant), I had no idea what caused​ some games to look different in motion, even though I could definitely tell. And yes, I don't love looking at anything that isn't at least 60fps, as I just find most things low framerate visually unimpressive, and the animation never pops. This isn't even getting into the input lag, which is vastly important to me while playing any type of game with action or platforming elements. I'm an avid fighting game and Mario platformer player, so this sort of thing sticks out extremely easily in this age of "screen quality > everything else" era.

I just stop caring about what you've done visually if it isn't 60fps. Just a personal choice visually, and an objectively better choice functionally.

The Wart

Film is naturally motion-blurred, which contributes a whole lot to making movement seem smooth. See this example from wikipedia. Most games do not have motion blur because doing it well is computationally quite expensive.

Secondly, interactive vs passive viewing does make a difference, because in interactive media you have an expectation of when motion should occur. Latency between your inputs and the screen refreshing is very noticeable at low frame rates.

And finally, low framerate animation such as is common in anime does in fact drive me bonkers. It can sometimes be physically painful for me to watch.

If you're not sensitive to these issues then more power to you, but those are main reasons more people care about framerate in games than in film.

Kureransu

I have never liked low framerate games, but had little choice in the matter. When I was a bit more young (and ignorant), I had no idea what caused​ some games to look different in motion, even though I could definitely tell. And yes, I don't love looking at anything that isn't at least 60fps, as I just find most things low framerate visually unimpressive, and the animation never pops. This isn't even getting into the input lag, which is vastly important to me while playing any type of game with action or platforming elements. I'm am about fighting game and Mario platformer player, so this sort of thing sticks out extremely easily in this age of "screen quality > everything else" era.

I just stop caring about what you've done visually if it isn't 60fps. Just a person choice visually, and an objectively better choice functionally.
Thanks for the reply. I come from a traditional (now cg) animation BG (and game development), So i think I can tolerate a lot more in terms of frame pacing and rate, due to so many bad animation i had to endure and made lol. I know a this gen 60 fps or bust has been tooted a lot, so I just figured i'd ask. Obviously it varies from person to person, but it's nice to get some perspective on it.

The input lag and such I'm well aware, wasn't ever a question about that. i was asking because it seemed to be an overall issue for you, even in slower paced games.

Film is naturally motion-blurred, which contributes a whole lot to making movement seem smooth. See this example from wikipedia. Most games do not have motion blur because doing it well is computationally quite expensive.

Secondly, interactive vs passive viewing does make a difference, because in interactive media you have an expectation of when motion should occur. Latency between your inputs and the screen refreshing is very noticeable at low frame rates.

And finally, low framerate animation such as is common in anime does in fact drive me bonkers. It can sometimes be physically painful for me to watch.

If you're not sensitive to these issues then more power to you, but those are main reasons more people care about framerate in games than in film.
Oh no i'm well versed in the differences, the reason i even asked because of the "No Buy" for game under 60fps. So it was more the almost zero tolerance that piqued this convo.

Rezbit

Oh wow sounds like it's really coming along. Great news after the initial worry that it would take quite a while. I'll be there day dot.

The Wart

Oh no i'm well versed in the differences, the reason i even asked because of the "No Buy" for game under 60fps. So it was more the almost zero tolerance that piqued this convo.

Ah, I misinterpreted. I suspect part of the zero-tolerance policy some people express (not necessarily the poster in this thread) is that the market is so flooded with games that issues that would have gone unremarked upon in the past can now bump a game from "buy" to "pass". Like, if a critically acclaimed action platformer only runs at 30fps, welp, I've probably got about 20 critically acclaimed action platformers sitting in my Steam library that run at 60 fps...

There's also the perception that all 2D games should be 60 fps intrinsically. So a 2D game not hitting 60 fps may trigger a norm violation for some people -- "you want me to buy that trash the lazy developer didn't even bother to get running at 60 fps!?" seems to be a sentiment that comes up sometimes.

Again, not claiming this describes anyone in this thread!

Thanks for the reply. I come from a traditional (now cg) animation BG (and game development), So i think I can tolerate a lot more in terms of frame pacing and rate, due to so many bad animation i had to endure and made lol. I know a this gen 60 fps or bust has been tooted a lot, so I just figured i'd ask. Obviously it varies from person to person, but it's nice to get some perspective on it.

The input lag and such I'm well aware, wasn't ever a question about that. i was asking because it seemed to be an overall issue for you, even in slower paced games.

I do find slower framerates ugly in general, yes. I get that they may be pushing the envelope and may also be a technical marvel in some cases, but it doesn't really matter to me once things start moving. It's why I've never cared about screen shots. I'll look at nearly any 60fps game in motion over something like The Order any day, even if one may be more "technically" impressive than the other. I'd takes a beautiful game like Horizon: Zero Dawn at greater than 30fps, even if it dropped the visual quality drastically and whatnot.

LordKano

The game still doesn't have a release date yet but Cherry Team just announced that they're looking into a physical version of the game and that "things are looking promising".
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11662585/hollow-knight/posts/1927253
Physical Switch - Team Cherry is often asked whether a physical version of Hollow Knight is coming for Nintendo Switch. In fact, the question keeps filling up our inboxes! While we're not able to announce anything, we can say we've been looking into it making this happen, and things are looking promising!

Chauzu

I hope this releases before Metroid for 3DS. The scratch will really be itching by then, and I hope Hollow Knight will keep me at bay.

ZombAid82

Physical Switch - Team Cherry is often asked whether a physical version of Hollow Knight is coming for Nintendo Switch. In fact, the question keeps filling up our inboxes! While we're not able to announce anything, we can say we've been looking into it making this happen, and things are looking promising!

Can't wait to double dip!

ryushe

God, every time I see a Hollow Knight thread get bumped, I immediately get reminded of the Switch version and get sad that we don't have a release date yet.

I don't know how long I can hold out.

Top Bottom