• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy crap, have you tried browsing the Internet without Adblock Plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaniac

Allowing any sort of dynamic content in advertisements was a mistake. It has made to entire system a huge security liability. If ad blocking is going to stop, dynamic ads need to die.

If the software lets through malware, I'll put part of the blame on that software. Just like I blame my virus software for letting through a virus. But I accept that it can happen sometime, just like I accept there is a tiny chance I'll get an ad that will be annoying and fill the screen or worse.

A ton of ad networks are doing what they can. Those premium ads you see on a lot of websites are not run through shady networks or will ever come with malware. Yet they get blocked by default. I don't have that much of a problem with blocking ads, I have a problem with the way it is being done right now, without any thought for the publisher and most people just blocking everything by default. And companies like Adblock Plus acting like this and basically scamming honest ad networks at this point.

These people work internet related jobs, mostly funded by ad money. I expected a different stance from them, considering where their income comes from. Thing is, people don't think about it at all. Which is why the current way adblockers work is wrong. Because people don't think about whitelisting in most cases or simply don't care because they find all ads annoying. I don't think that is a fair system. I get why adblockers got invented, but they should work differently then they do now.

There's nothing that web browsers really can do beyond what they do already to combat malware in ads. The real responsibility goes to the ad networks who aren't properly vetting what they're serving.

I promise to stop using ad block when they promise to stop showing me pictures of homer banging marge. Never use it for gaf though. Theirs are fine.

Gurnlei

For the amount of unlimited content you can get ad-free, you're damn right it is.

I personally really like how you can watch videos as podcasts, with the screens off.

The last reason is why I subscribe to Youtube Red. I'd love for the internet to go about getting tips or using subscriptions for an add-free site. Already a big user of Patreon for this reason.

Was OP banned due to this thread? I'm genuinely curious since it was said time and time again that unless you were being a dick about using adblock plus that it's fine to admit it.

gngf123

Was OP banned due to this thread? I'm genuinely curious since it was said time and time again that unless you were being a dick about using adblock plus that it's fine to admit it.

I would guess that it was because he admitted to using adblock on GAF.

I don't think that he was being a dick, but the mods can be strict about those things.

Coreda

If the OP's post isn't considered being a dick about it I have to wonder what you think would be. According to Stump very few have been banned regarding anything Adblock related.

number of adblock related bans in the last 8 years: 13
number of piracy related bans in the last 8 years: 667

You know absolutely well what the site's owner thinks of using ABP on NeoGAF: which is that in order to run the site, he needs revenue from advertising, and by blocking it, you deprive him of revenue while still causing him to incur costs.

You also know GAF's policy on AdBlocking, which is to say if you're going to be a dickhead and flaunt the fact that you're denying the site revenue in a public fashion, you're going to end up banned for it. It's not great illumination that despite these things, you can choose to use AdBlock or not. I am sure that many people browsing NeoGAF use adblock. I am sure that many people browing NeoGAF pirate games like crazy.

Jay Sosa

I have never bothered with adblock, i just don't allow pop ups and if something is too intrusive with ads i just don't use.

Just be careful were you click really, and Neogaf has very little to no ads, i have no idea what are you talking about there.

FYI you can get a virus from an ad without clicking on it. As long as shit like that isn't fixed I will use an adblocker (except on pages that I trust) If that means the internet will cease to exist (which is complete bs btw) then so be it. Life before "the internet" (as we know it now) was way more fun anyway.

lazygecko

I've personally been a victim of malware installed via banner ads. It was a keylogger most likely from a banner ad displayed on MMO-Champion in 2008, which ended up compromising my WoW account. It even happened twice before they announced that a Flash security hole had been discovered. Installed NoScript right after that.

AngryMoth

Gaf ads really don't bother me, they are not intrusive for me at least. I can easily ignore them just like every other ad on the internet, basically

Audioboxer

I couldn't click around anywhere safely without bringing up an ad. It's insane!

I couldn't believe the amount of ads on the NeoGAF homepage

Exaggerating the truth and gloating about adblocking on GAF isn't going to go down well.

Mods done him/her a favour by making their browsing "safe" now with no access to GAF :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seems to me people should be blaming the browser makers about that malware stuff mostly, not just the websites. Those should do the protection in the first place from malware and such by not allowing those to run.

The browser is only a portal. It's a symptom, not the problem.

Ad networks not 100% vouching for the stuff they use is the problem. It's like going to a car dealership. You see a pretty car that has their logo. You buy it, you drive it around and the manufacturer's logo breaks off/falls off and reveals ANOTHER car manufacturer's logo. You've been driving another companies car for a while now. Do you blame the dealership for offering it when the car manufacturer provided the car?

Given how often folks use only the internet on computer devices, it's not hard to blame the browser and I can understand it. But it's not the SOLE cause of security breaches. Would it be nice if browser makers worked on sandboxing the web-server provided HTML code to where malware couldn't trigger off? Yes, is it possible? I don't know, but right now the browser just serves what it's given. If it's given malware-compromised ad network code, who is at fault?

EmiPrime

I have never bothered with adblock, i just don't allow pop ups and if something is too intrusive with ads i just don't use.

Just be careful were you click really, and Neogaf has very little to no ads, i have no idea what are you talking about there.

Ads don't need to be clicked on for them to execute code.

I've personally been a victim of malware installed via banner ads. It was a keylogger most likely from a banner ad displayed on MMO-Champion in 2008, which ended up compromising my WoW account. It even happened twice before they announced that a Flash security hole had been discovered. Installed NoScript right after that.

Yeah a lot of people got their WoW account stolen because of keyloggers in banner ads on MMO-Champion and Curse over the duration of the WotLK expansion. I don't know if it still goes on.

A banner at the top and bottom of the page is obnoxious to you? Jesus.

Also, you're a pretty shitty person. 8k posts and even an ad a the top and bottom of the page is an inconvenience for you?

Keep on justifying why you consume and give nothing back there bud. Go ahead, tell me that there should be a donate button somewhere on the page to complete it.

there should be a donate button.

uBlock is better in terms of not hogging resources.

For reals though, you should disable ad blockers on sites you want to support. It's getting harder to monetise internet shit these days and a few eyesores are worth it imo if it means the sites I enjoy get to keep running.

uBlock is better in terms of not hogging resources.

For reals though, you should disable ad blockers on sites you want to support. It's getting harder to monetise internet shit these days and a few eyesores are worth it imo if it means the sites I enjoy get to keep running.

This. Or better yet, just use it for sites that are really obnoxious. I have to disable uBlock and Flashcontrol on company and school websites all the time because they can still muck up stuff even if a site or page is on the whitelist.

Ads suck, but they pay for the content you use.

vwnut13

I just had an add on NeoGAF that opened a new window and automatically downloaded two fake 'FlashPlayer' .exe files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom