• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

holy shit (London Symphony Orchestra)

Far Horizons

if you got any other game soundrack bangers played by an orchestra drop em here.

Church Pray GIF

Starfield has a God tier soundtrack. I will fight anyone on this one.
Starfields soundtrack was actually kind of awful to be honest. It would have been a far more of an immersive game if it was more similar to the likes of Mass Effect and Deus Ex music.

There is barely any synth, it's way to subtle. While it might be recognizable, it's really just not memorable and they completely missed the mark.

Skyrim soundtrack was good but Jeremy Soul is just God tier.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Starfields soundtrack was actually kind of awful to be honest. It would have been a far more of an immersive game if it was more similar to the likes of Mass Effect and Deus Ex music.

There is barely any synth, it's way to subtle. While it might be recognizable, it's really just not memorable and they completely missed the mark.

Skyrim soundtrack was good but Jeremy Soul is just God tier.
It's the most mature gaming soundtrack I've ever encountered and quite Mozart-like in nature. It begins with a simple motive that functions as a musical statement to set up all the music in the game. That statement is used through retrogrades, inversions, and slight adjustments to rhythm and pitch in order to create entirely new musical themes throughout the game, and that's why even tracks as different as the ones for New Atlantis and Akila still sound familiar. Add in all the different styles of music (while maintaining classical composition tendencies), and you have one of the tightest and most varied musical scores you'll ever hear in a game. I love Bethesda game music as much as anyone and I even enjoy the Mass Effect soundtracks, but this is just on another level. Inon Zur outdid himself, IMO.

It's the most mature gaming soundtrack I've ever encountered and quite Mozart-like in nature. It begins with a simple motive that functions as a musical statement to set up all the music in the game. That statement is used through retrogrades, inversions, and slight adjustments to rhythm and pitch in order to create entirely new musical themes throughout the game, and that's why even tracks as different as the ones for New Atlantis and Akila still sound familiar. Add in all the different styles of music (while maintaining classical composition tendencies), and you have one of the tightest and most varied musical scores you'll ever hear in a game. I love Bethesda game music as much as anyone and I even enjoy the Mass Effect soundtracks, but this is just on another level. Inon Zur outdid himself, IMO.
Idk man, if the sound/music doesn't sound good to my ears then it's not good too me is the way I look at it. You can argue the composition itself all you really want and what it's trying to achieve and that's fine. At the end of the day, it just didn't sound that good to me and many of the tracks also repeated especially in combat. It got boring quickly.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Idk man, if the sound/music doesn't sound good to my ears then it's not good too me is the way I look at it. You can argue the composition itself all you really want and what it's trying to achieve and that's fine. At the end of the day, it just didn't sound that good to me and many of the track also repeated especially in combat.
I know many people just want something simple, but I'm an active listener that appreciates a strong identity in music. I get that tenfold in the game. The musical themes are recognizable and evoke the proper emotions for every given scenario in the game. Maybe as a passive listener it just doesn't work for you, but in no way is the music in Starfield "kind of awful."

Idk man, if the sound/music doesn't sound good to my ears then it's not good too me is the way I look at it. You can argue the composition itself all you really want and what it's trying to achieve and that's fine. At the end of the day, it just didn't sound that good to me and many of the tracks also repeated especially in combat. It got boring quickly.
I know many people just want something simple, but I'm an active listener that appreciates a strong identity in music. I get that tenfold in the game. The musical themes are recognizable and evoke the proper emotions for every given scenario in the game. Maybe as a passive listener it just doesn't work for you, but in no way is the music in Starfield "kind of awful."
This is how I've viewed Starfield's soundtrack... it's more like how Halo games would find a way to incorporate the main Halo theme in most of the soundtracks for those games. Starfield does the same thing. You'll hear the main Starfield theme in multiple different variations and also little cues of it in other tracks as you progress in the game and get into combat situations. In Halo you'd hear those familiar drums kick in when any action or impactful scenes came up.

I think the difference is that the Halo theme is so ridiculously strong that it can carry the rest of a soundtrack when used in multiple variations. The Starfield soundtrack feels a bit weaker in that regard, which is why for some it isn't carrying that same weight and impact.

Skyrim is different in that you don't hear the Skyrim theme in other tracks often, if at all, unless it's for something big. The other tracks are so good that they can carry themselves and their themes fine without needing the main theme as a throughline.

Pejo

New 2023 one is making its rounds via bootlegs currently too, though not officially released yet.

I've posted this one a few times but still relevant and godly in its execution and arrangement (especially the second half to the end, the last 45s is Chief worthy).

Melchiah

No Bloodborne, for shame!

On a side note, I've witnessed a philharmonic orchestra performing horror movie themes twice, and the experience was truly unforgettable.

Here's the theme of The Omen as an example.

EDIT: Forgot the unconventional and spine-chilling Polymorphia, which has been used for both The Shining and The Exorcist.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Honestly, this legit the only thing I miss from those live events when they did game announcements.

Kumomeme

part of 10 years FFXIV anniversary orchestra. recently they did concert at London

Last edited:

Boralf

I can not stop listening to this. Too bad it's only 240p, but it's a great recording and performance.

Top Bottom