• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home versions better than the arcade originals

Sophia

I don't think Turtles in Time is a good example, actually. Both SNES and Arcade versions of the game have their own advantages, what with the arcade version having four players and superior music. I also preferred the original version of Neon-Night Riders over it's Mode-7 version in the SNES.

Although I think everyone will agree that the SNES version has the better boss lineup. Getting to fight Slash, Bebop and Rockstready, and Super Shredder is fantastic.

SkylineRKR

It's not like you can say that for every DC port, VF3 and Sega Rally 2 were worse than their arcade counterparts.

VF3 was passable but SR2 was a travesty. I was so gutted. Its my most played arcade game probably, and I waited for a home version. DC should be up to snuff but it was dog shit.

I blame Windows CE. That game was ported to PC and then quickly ported to DC from there IIRC. Its as bad as Daytona on Saturn, esp. the PAL version. Perhaps worse as the handling on Daytona Saturn was flawless.

SkylineRKR

How about Time Crisis 2 on PS2? It was better than the Arcade, and with a FFB gun you would have the same clicks as in the arcade.

Crisis Zone counts too probably.

weltalldx

Game runs with the 4MB RAM on Saturn, how can it be arcade perfect on PSX ?

Well, Pocket Fighter was running on the CPS2, a variant of the PSX's system board. True the Saturn version of Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix had the 4MB ram cartridge option. But whether the game actually used the extra memory was questionable, at least as far as graphics go. The Saturn had poorer audio capabilities compared to the PSX so perhaps it was used for audio instead? I don't remember anything missing from the PSX very of pocket fighter, unlike those xVsx capcom games that had the tag team mechanic missing.

Having compared the arcade to the psx version, I do not obstensively see any difference.

Fiendcode

Well, Pocket Fighter was running on the CPS2, a variant of the PSX's system board. True the Saturn version of Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix had the 4MB ram cartridge option. But whether the game actually used the extra memory was questionable, at least as far as graphics go. The Saturn had poorer audio capabilities compared to the PSX so perhaps it was used for audio instead? I don't remember anything missing from the PSX very of pocket fighter, unlike those xVsx capcom games that had the tag team mechanic missing.

Having compared the arcade to the psx version, I do not obstensively see any difference.
PSX version of Pocket Fighter is missing animation frames, like pretty much all PS1 CPS2 fighters. The Saturn version adds frames and improves load times when you use the 1MB or 4MB expansions.

Also Saturn and PSX have differing audio solutions but Saturn isn't really poorer. It actually had more dedicated audio memory and a generally more capable Yamaha SPU. Did some things better and some worse.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Final Fight CD is the poster child for this - the soundtrack is so incredible and fits so well, I had assumed it was from the arcade version. When we actually later got the 'arcade leefect' version i was incredible dissapointed, it's a world away from the bear perfect CD version.

Didn't Final Fight CD also have an extra stage? I remember reading a great review on it. Too bad it was hard to find back in the day and I had to live withy purchase of Wolfchild. 😧

SkylineRKR

I haven't played Pocket Fighter much on Saturn but the animation differences could've been spotted when you walked back etc. And in games like Marvel Super Heroes, when characters crouched. Though MSH on Saturn is a load of toss that slows down to a crawl and even more so with RAM cart.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I'd add Bionic Commando and Strider to that Arcade to NES list, too. Yeah, both arcade versions are flashier and more impressive, but the NES ports had exploration and Metroidvania elements that elevated them.
Bionic Commando is another one, but I can't get behind Strider NES. I mean the arcade game has so many unique encounters like you fighting a mechanical centipede made of cyborgs, Asian dancers on a hovercraft, Robo-Kong and the Gravity. NES had that damn tree thingy multiple times. The recent remake of Strider is a perfect marriage of both games aesthetics.

I wonder if Shadow Dancer counts.
It should. Uglier, but much better.

Rygar, Contra, and Bionic Commando would be my first three that I can think of. Ninja Gaiden too, although that's almost cheating. The arcade and NES versions are wildly different, with the arcade version being more of a forgettable beat 'em up and the NES being an side-scrolling action game.

Double Dragon 2 - I definitely prefer the NES version. The arcade was pretty much a more-of-the-same Double Dragon 1.

Nah, Turtles in time was on arcades too, the SNES port had a bunch of cool additions. Like throwing foot soldiers towards the screen :D

I think this was already addressed but that was also in the arcade, and much smoother too. https://youtu.be/Bvr8T-sutfA

I'd disagree on TNMT: Turtles in Time. It's a great port on SNES, but I think 4-player makes me prefer the arcade, if just by a hair.

It was the other way around. The background graphics were 3d in the arcade and 2d images in the psone version.

Yes but the home versions not only looked comparable but they were also loaded with bonus content, so I definitely think the home versions of every Tekken game as better than the arcade.

As for Turtles in Time I think it's a toss up between the SNES version and the arcade version. The arcade version is 4 player, looks better and sounds better but the SNES version still looks and sounds great, has more stages, more/better bosses and is better balanced difficulty-wise.

Prophane33

Killer Instinct Gold

Seriously? You're going to have to explain that one. The Arcade version has better atmospheric elements than the N64 version. The N64 version is certainly not a 1:1 port. It was good for what they were trying to do. For example, I do like some of the 3D additions to backgrounds, but overall it's an inferior product.

Gen X

Arcade to NES: Rygar, Ninja Gaiden.

I didn't enjoy any ports of Rygar, found the arcade one perfect at the time. As for Ninja Gaiden wasn't that a different game entirely compared to the arcade except for the name?

harz-marz

Vt2box.jpg

I'd say Virtua Tennis 2 on Dreamcast due to all of the extra modes etc.

Also Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast got additional modes.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't enjoy any ports of Rygar, found the arcade one perfect at the time. As for Ninja Gaiden wasn't that a different game entirely compared to the arcade except for the name?

Arcade Rygar is great, but becomes frustrating when you don't have the power ups that buffs and lengthens your disk. Or worse you only have the Sun power up (straight up instead of the arc). So I agree it's a great arcade game. The home version has more variety, but I can agree that nostalgia might be clouding my opinion on this one. I do remember forcing myself to play it. About Ninja Gaiden, don't care for your opinion ;). Home version is wildly different but gave us story cinematics and amazing OST. Only cool thing about arcade version was that jumping neck grab, the not-Road Warriors (complete with not-Black Sabbath Iron Maiden theme music) those ridiculous images between stages (Ryun in full ninja suit reading a newspaper. Ryun in full costume at the Roulette table, etc) So better 😁. Besides there were MUCH better beat 'em ups compared to the arcade game.

Castef

Banned
I think several arcade games back in the late 80s were better on the Amiga computer.

For example, both Pang! and Rodland are better on the Amiga, more colourful and better music.

Pang was basically arcade-perfect on Amiga.

Rodland was missing lots of stages.

Neither are "better" than the arcade version, according to me.

Castef

Banned
Now that I think of it: no mention of Craxy Taxi? The Dreamcast version had extra modes and mini-games.

robot

Tastunoko VS Capcom had added characters in the home version. Even more when it made it's way to the U.S.

Seriously? You're going to have to explain that one. The Arcade version has better atmospheric elements than the N64 version. The N64 version is certainly not a 1:1 port. It was good for what they were trying to do. For example, I do like some of the 3D additions to backgrounds, but overall it's an inferior product.

KAAAYYY AYEEE WITHHH A FEELING

But yeah if I remember correctly, didn't they pretty much gut the entire soundtrack from KI2 for KI:Gold?

edit: That kind of upset me as a kid to playing KI:2 in arcades and hearing it scream "Nintendo Ultra 64" thinking it was gonna end up like that in the console version :/

edit: I know they cut all the fmv stuff due to storage.

CLEEK

Outrun2 on Xbox.

Visuals matched the arcade original, but it also included bonus areas taken from Scud Racer and was the closest we ever came to a home version.

btrboyev

Arcade versions of Turtles had better gameplay(4 players),animations,design,voice samples and intro. They were harder too. No way I'd pick the NES game over the arcade original.

Still the NES version of TMNT1 was the best.

I'd say Tech Romancer. Fulp story mode for each character and better graphics with VGA on Dreamcast.

Darkstalkers on Dreamcast was the equivalent of Street Fighter Hyper Fighting.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 console ports too.

Neo Geo CD titles included also arranged soundtrack,extra story scenes and voice acting for some games.
The only Alpha hole port that matched the arcade was the Saturn port. PSX port was missing a ton of animation frames and the DC port had smaller sprites for some reason.

Gen X

Arcade Rygar is great, but becomes frustrating when you don't have the power ups that buffs and lengthens your disk. Or worse you only have the Sun power up (straight up instead of the arc). So I agree it's a great arcade game.

See, there were secrets in the arcade game where you could "force" which power up would drop. First level was nearly always the Star (lengthen) or Sun (straight up) and the Crown (hit multiple enemies at once). No one forced the Leopard/Jaguar head (kill enemies by jumping on them) as some people opted to bounce off those flying dudes heads on Level 3 to bypass the entire waterfall level.

The arcade game was pretty deep for its time and not uncommon for expert players to exceed 6,000,000 points by the end of the game. This is why I found most ports subpar.

petran79

Banned
I think several arcade games back in the late 80s were better on the Amiga computer.

For example, both Pang! and Rodland are better on the Amiga, more colourful and better music.

Having tried Rodland, I think Amiga version does miss some character animation attacks.

Well, Pocket Fighter was running on the CPS2, a variant of the PSX's system board.

Where on earth did you get that from? No, the CPS2 hardware has NOTHING to do with Sony or the PS1 hardware, at all.

Arcade hardware that was based on PS1 tech include the capcom zn1, namco system 11 and Taito FX boards.

Yea, nothing regarding Daytona USA belongs anywhere near this thread until the XBLA/PSN versions, which OP has explicitly ruled out.

If the opposite of this thread ever gets made, then they should both probably be in the first post.

lol

buying a saturn on day 1 and playing this version of Daytona and initial release of VF was a deeply, deeply upsetting experience. If not for Panzer Dragoon, it might have been one of the worst console launches of my life. launch window-wise, truly a model of how not to do arcade ports

Timu

on Mega Drive / Genesis?

Different game than the one made for arcades.
People count Ninja Gaiden, E-Swat, Bionic Commando and Rygar in this thread even though they are different so if that were the case, Shadow Dancer would count.

PSqueak

Banned
Aren't Turtles in Time and Turtles arcade deliberately two different games cashing in at the same time on the Turtles franchise?

No, Snes version of Turtles in Time is a port with a few changes: 2 levels changed into bonus rounds, extra bosses and an extra level.

Snes version also was branded as TMNT 4: Turtles in Time, while the arcade one was just Turtles in time.

Opa-Pa

Not only was the TMNT Turtles in Time Reshelled remake a complete travesty and a dissappintemnt but i was also aghast that this horrible remake to a beloved game wasn't a remake of the version I thought it was! It was a reimagined version of the inferior arcade version!

I didn't know back then how different and superior the SNES game was before buying that horrible remake. Why they didn't remake that one and just slap in 4 player support I'll never know.

Haha yeah, same here. I think the Ubisoft remake is actually the reason I learned there was an arcade version to begin with. I thought it was just a SNES and Genesis game at the time.

This is a gamma correction issue - which I assume only applies to emulation.

Here's another example from Super Contra:

The palettes used in these games is still a bit ugly, but that first image you posted is not how it's supposed to look.

What the hell, so it was all Hamster's fault? I was so sure Contra arcade was ugly as sin lol, with the intended pallette it looks pretty decent.

Arguably, SNES Street Fighter 2: World Warrior. The sprites weren't as large, and the endings had new art, but the SNES version had a code to activate the alternate colors and mirror match capability from the newly released to arcades SF2 Championship Edition.

lazygecko

What the hell, so it was all Hamster's fault? I was so sure Contra arcade was ugly as sin lol, with the intended pallette it looks pretty decent.

The games are "supposed" to look that way with a very washed out, high gamma look since it's how they were deliberately designed to account for the output on the arcade cabinet displays.

Paragon

I don't think it's Hamster's fault, so much as it is a problem with MAME which Hamster's emulation is probably based off.

The games are "supposed" to look that way with a very washed out, high gamma look since it's how they were deliberately designed to account for the output on the arcade cabinet displays.
Even so, a CRT has a natural gamma response of about 2.35 (1/0.425), which is not that different from the typical flat panel's 2.22 (1/0.45) gamma.
Without going into the technical details of why, these require a gamma of 0.51 to be applied.
I don't know if it's an issue with these games specifically, or emulation of that system, but it's like there's a bad conversion happening somewhere.

I'd be really curious to know if that's what the output looks like on the original arcade hardware.
I suspect not, but if the actual hardware looks like that too, it seems like someone really messed up - because that washed-out look can't be intentional.

Top Bottom