• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Got this on 360 this morning (at 10am). By 4 o'clock - including a break for lunch, to watch two episodes of Parks and Rec, one episode of the Office, one episode of Community - I had finished the single player. Normal difficulty. I really enjoyed it, actually - I thought it had some nice ideas, some fun scripted moments, and I loved the world they built. I disliked the writing in the found papers (which was dreadful) and the sheer amount of being trapped behind NPCs walking slowly or opening doors for me (a personal bugbear). I also disliked that it was clearly unfinished. Nobody builds a game to end like that. Nobody.

Grisby

Yeah, this game was one of the shortest release games I've played in a while. One day of play and I never do that. Its a good thing I decided to hold off on a purchase and just rented it instead.

Wouldn't mind a sequel as the heart was in the right place but damn was the game rough.

(Personal bugbear eh? I like that.)

Zimbardo

so there must be an issue with the multiplayer in Homefront with lag spikes (pc) ...i mean i don't get lag spikes in other multiplayer games, but i do in Homefront ...so there's obviously an issue here.

here's what happens - playing multiplayer, game is running perfect, everything seems fine ...10 mins may have passed, then the screen will pause for like 1 second and then the action continues.

another 10 mins or 15 mins may pass ...then the screen will pause for another second and then the action will continue.

fucking annoying as hell, and its the only multiplayer game that does it (i play team fortress 2, brink, bad company 2, you name it ...homefront is the only shitty fucking game that does those lag spikes.

g2play.net is selling steam copies of the game for 13.75 CDN (or your country's equivalent) right now. I know some people find these CD key stores fishy, and I guess there's always the possibility that they can remove the game from your Steam account as they did a couple years ago with MW2, but this is the fourth order I've done with them and I've never had any problems. They're cheap enough that it's worth the risk regardless, IMO.

Mikey Jr.

Anyone else feel like the hellfires/clusterbombs/phosphorus, is generally pretty worthless?

Like, I almost never use it. You can get about 3 kills with it, and it costs 1300BP.

I'd rather just save for the tank, which is going to get you way more kills.

kamspy

I gave up and uninstalled it weeks ago. I don't uninstall games really quick either. Hell, I've still got Bioshock 2 and AvP installed from their respective launches. But I gotta say, I think I derived some pleasure from uninstalling Homefront.

Short of putting the game files on a DVD and breaking the DVD over my knee (which I might still do), I think I'm done with Homefront and Kaos forever. I would say they gave it a good try, but they didn't. Talked a big game about uber PC version when Crysis 2 was getting flack, and lol, it was shit. I think Crysis 2 ran better on my PC than Homefront did when they both came out. Ballistics in MP are a joke, and I don't think it's something a patch can fix. Seemed like a fundamental design flaw. I got horrible feedback from hits. That's a game breaker on it's own, but more crap piled up. It's like they took the worst aspects of COD and BF and mushed them together reckless abandon. It was a disaster at launch on all 3 platforms.

Stitch

Gold Member
DoctorPayne said:
g2play.net is selling steam copies of the game for 13.75 CDN (or your country's equivalent) right now. I know some people find these CD key stores fishy, and I guess there's always the possibility that they can remove the game from your Steam account as they did a couple years ago with MW2, but this is the fourth order I've done with them and I've never had any problems. They're cheap enough that it's worth the risk regardless, IMO.
couldn't resist, that was way too cheap lol

i swear some settings like anisotropic filtering and v-sync don't seem to work. the ground was blurry and i've seen lot's of tearing. but forcing them with nvidiainspector fixed that.
it's still not the prettiest game and i managed to get stuck in a wall...

Well, contrary to most people's experiences, I've found Homefront to be a great multiplayer game. When rolling with a decent crowd, the multi aspect is great fun.

Zimbardo

i enjoyed the Homefront single player. thought that was pretty well done ...the multiplayer is alright, but nothing extra special. Battlefield Bad Company 2 murders it, imo. absolute murder.

i think a lot of people moved on because of how messed the game was at launch and how long it has taken them to get things straightened out.

anyway, there's what seems like a small yet consistent multiplayer community on PC. i never had a problem getting into a game ...but the servers aren't as packed as they were around release time.

this newest patch seems to have ironed a lot of things out tho ...so it could bring some people back.

the inevitable Steam sales will also help ...it'll no doubt be on sale during Steam's summer sale.

i have a feeling this game will be largely forgotten on consoles, but continue to have a small following on the pc.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I thinky ou guys will like the DLC plans for Homefront. This is just the start and will lead to bigger and better things...

Update

http://www.homefront-game.com/blog-post/xbox-360-title-update-release-dlc-announcement

An Xbox 360 update is now available which should improve Homefront®’s overall game stability and network connectivity, a summary of a number of the changes can be found below. In addition, we are pleased to provide the “Ability Pack” with this update which will be immediately available after download!

Ability Pack
- Ice Cold: Invisible on thermal views and airstrike sensors
- Situational Awareness: Enemy gamertag appears when shot
- EMP Tactician: Deal more damage vs EMP’d vehicles
- Short Fuse: Reduced cook time on frag grenades
- Bomb Suit: Take less damage from explosives

Improvements to:
- Assist points for vehicle kills
- Rank Resets
- Game returns to MP menu instead of Main Menu after leaving a match
- Max ping limits for server connections (prevent connections to distant servers)
- Game freeze & hitching
- Joining Friends feature
- Beacon errors
- Party Connectivity; and
- Various other fixes

But wait, that’s not all…

We are happy to announce the first Homefront DLC offering will be available on June 7th – the “Fire Sale” Map Pack will carry you further into the heart of a war torn and twisted America. “Fire Sale” will launch first on Xbox LIVE and features two all-new multiplayer maps. This is just the first small taste of anticipated robust updates that will be coming to Homefront.

Also on that same day, the 870 Express Shotgun will be available for download and as a way of saying thank you for your continued support, we are offering a free Premium Homefront Theme that will be provided on the Xbox 360 Marketplace. Mark the day on your calendar and keep your eyes peeled for further Homefront news and announcements.

The entire team at both KAOS Studios® and THQ would like to thank you for playing Homefront and being a member of our community. We appreciate your dedication and patience as we continue to improve and enhance the game with each update.

Sincerely,

The Homefront Team

Joining on friends! Honestly, haven't played this for some time BECAUSE that feature was missing, so I'll probably hop back on for a few when that hits.

2 maps? Eh, I hope it doesn't cost too much. There were rumors early on of single-player DLC at some point, I hope that is still in the works.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
GitarooMan said:
2 maps? Eh, I hope it doesn't cost too much. There were rumors early on of single-player DLC at some point, I hope that is still in the works.

I know some of the DLC plans and there is some awesome stuff coming, in value and in content. :p

desu

2 maps? I might install the game again if they are somehwat interesting. Otherwise I dont care at all :|. Certainly not going to pay (okay I might pay a dollar but thats it).

Mikey Jr.

Wow, so buying this for the PS3 was a massive mistake?

Come on guys, support the PS3 here as well. I'm still waiting for the suburb map that they said we were going to get as well.

Does anyone have an unused Battle Code for the 360 version. If anyone has an unused one send me a private message and we can work something out. THANKS

Dabanton

Day one for that pack.

Need to jump back n the game. LA Noire has had my attention the last few times i've gamed.

Are the new maps urban or countryside?

desu

Saw that the Fire Sale Mappack for 360 leaked or was released. Any good maps in it?

edit:
The “Fire Sale” Map Pack is available on the Xbox 360 Marketplace; featuring two all-new multiplayer maps for a suggested price of 240 Microsoft Points (MSP). “Spillway” and “Big Box” will carry you deeper into a twisted and war torn America, download and enjoy them today.

Also, now available from the Xbox 360 Marketplace are the 870 Express Shotgun (80 MSP) and a free Homefront Premium Theme! The entire team at THQ would like to thank you for playing Homefront and being a member of our community.

Sincerely,

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Actually liked the demo a lot. Gonna buy this game as soon as possible.
It's not listed on Major Nelsons top 20 list over most played games on Xbox Live, but I had no trouble whatsoever finding matches. And hardly any lag at all. Nice!

Only thing I found somewhat strange is that there's hardly any difference between moving normally and sprinting. Weird, but still a lot of fun! :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The DLC is out on Xbox for 240 points, and this is not the cheapest the DLC will be either, some much bigger packs coming too with some awesome stuff in it. :)

THE NO LIFE KING said:
Any plans for the DLC for the PS3???

Yep, 360 got it early though because of the Microsoft Deal.

desu

Deadly Cyclone said:
The DLC is out on Xbox for 240 points, and this is not the cheapest the DLC will be either, some much bigger packs coming too with some awesome stuff in it. :)

Yep, 360 got it early though because of the Microsoft Deal.

They are bringing dlc now?

Sorry they should have started with that 2-4 weeks after release when there were more people left caring for the game.

Curious of they gonna charge pc gamers anyway.

RIP Kaos, I love you guys! Hope you all land on your feet.

Played a little MP this afternoon with Poimandres, and had a blast. It remains one of the tidiest shooters on the market, at least for me, with lots of options and great map design.

My advice to THQ is to make the multiplayer section a F2P title in the near future, to keep a solid player base locked in for whenever Homefront 2 drops. Do the FEAR Combat thing...don't bust it up with freemium items, just cop the dedicated server costs - even though there are plenty of other servers available - and keep it alive. If this went F2P, it'd be one of the finest of that particular subset. It'd do a great deal of service for the franchise and help remove the stigma the debut had for particular aspects.

My two cents. Terrific multiplayer deserves a lot more love.

Just ordered a copy for cheap off the internet after really enjoying the demo. It's a shame that Kaos are being shut down. I didn't play Frontlines, but I really enjoyed Desert Combat back in the day. In many ways it was more ambitious and fun than Battlefield 2 turned out to be.

They recently released a demo for the multiplayer portion of Homefront on XBL awhile ago. I gotta say, I'm really impressed by how fun it is. The killstreak-esque reward system is implemented perfectly. It removes the frustration of dying but still places much-needed emphasis on completing objectives and getting kills. As a result, there's much less camping (as death isn't as punitive as, say, Modern Warfare), and people actually seem like they go for the objective.

I've only messed around in the Armory for a few minutes, but I really like the way the perks are implemented in this game. Should you choose three relatively weaker perks or save up for ONE which may be a bit more useful? At least, that's how it seemed to be to me. Maybe I misunderstood the concept completely. :p

I'm still learning the best tactics/killstreaks/perks, but based on the demo alone, the game is surprisingly good. It's a great mix between the large-scale conflicts of Battlefield with the smaller, more "personal" aspects of Call of Duty. I hope the game sold well enough to warrant a sequel. I'd definitely be interesting in seeing how the developer responds to any problems/imbalances in Homefront.

Quick question, though. How on earth am I supposed to shoot down helicopters? Are the rockets lock-on? This thread seems pretty dead, so I dunno if I'll ever get an answer, but I figure I'd ask anyway.

DTKT

Summary Man said:
They recently released a demo for the multiplayer portion of Homefront on XBL awhile ago. I gotta say, I'm really impressed by how fun it is. The killstreak-esque reward system is implemented perfectly. It removes the frustration of dying but still places much-needed emphasis on completing objectives and getting kills. As a result, there's much less camping (as death isn't as punitive as, say, Modern Warfare), and people actually seem like they go for the objective.

I've only messed around in the Armory for a few minutes, but I really like the way the perks are implemented in this game. Should you choose three relatively weaker perks or save up for ONE which may be a bit more useful? At least, that's how it seemed to be to me. Maybe I misunderstood the concept completely. :p

I'm still learning the best tactics/killstreaks/perks, but based on the demo alone, the game is surprisingly good. It's a great mix between the large-scale conflicts of Battlefield with the smaller, more "personal" aspects of Call of Duty. I hope the game sold well enough to warrant a sequel. I'd definitely be interesting in seeing how the developer responds to any problems/imbalances in Homefront.

Quick question, though. How on earth am I supposed to shoot down helicopters? Are the rockets lock-on? This thread seems pretty dead, so I dunno if I'll ever get an answer, but I figure I'd ask anyway.

There are two types of rockets. Proximity and plain dumb.

Proximity will blow up when they get near a chopper. They are the best since you just have to aim in it's general vicinity to guarantee a hit.

Summary Man said:
Haven't played for awhile but when I played proximity launchers were decent and the Rhino can be used to lock-on and fire some rockets

CozMick

Banned
Just picked this up (PS3) for £17.99 from GAME. (See devs, demo's DO work)

Got to level 12, what a great multiplayer. I hear there's a patch in certification at Sony and the DLC is on the way next week so that's good news. (should bring that upto 360s version)

Most balanced multiplayer I've played for a long time!

Sound is seriously amazing, Gameplay is a mix-up of Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield, the visuals remind me of MAG, not great but certainly not a bad looking game.

But you probably already know this :p

Great game!

test_account

XP-39C²
Tried the multiplayer demo and must say that i was positively surprised. I didnt know that the game was that fun :) Ordered the full game a few days ago. Not 100% sure if i will get around to play it though (too busy with other games at the moment), but at least i will have the game =)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
test_account said:
Tried the multiplayer demo and must say that i was positively surprised. I didnt know that the game was that fun :) Ordered the full game a few days ago. Not 100% sure if i will get around to play it though (too busy with other games at the moment), but at least i will have the game =)
The patches helped. Especially on the PC, where it's practically like a new game compared to how it launched. I'll be rotating this with BF2 until BF3 comes out.

kamspy said:
I gave up and uninstalled it weeks ago. I don't uninstall games really quick either. Hell, I've still got Bioshock 2 and AvP installed from their respective launches. But I gotta say, I think I derived some pleasure from uninstalling Homefront.

Short of putting the game files on a DVD and breaking the DVD over my knee (which I might still do), I think I'm done with Homefront and Kaos forever. I would say they gave it a good try, but they didn't. Talked a big game about uber PC version when Crysis 2 was getting flack, and lol, it was shit. I think Crysis 2 ran better on my PC than Homefront did when they both came out. Ballistics in MP are a joke, and I don't think it's something a patch can fix. Seemed like a fundamental design flaw. I got horrible feedback from hits. That's a game breaker on it's own, but more crap piled up. It's like they took the worst aspects of COD and BF and mushed them together reckless abandon. It was a disaster at launch on all 3 platforms.

I agree with all of this.

test_account

XP-39C²
SapientWolf said:
The patches helped. Especially on the PC, where it's practically like a new game compared to how it launched. I'll be rotating this with BF2 until BF3 comes out.
That is cool :) I tested (and ordered) the PS3 version myself. If i can tear myself away from Motorstorm Apocalypse online, then maybe Homefront will be the next game that i go to for online multiplayer.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Xbox DLC 2 is up!

400 Allards.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/The-Rock-Map-Pack/79629eec-d538-40bb-8399-130921f6bd7e

"Fall in! Command has issued orders to capture two new Homefront multiplayer maps –Alcatraz and Bridge – as well as two new Team Deathmatch (TDM) spaces. We’re going to take back San Francisco, one piece at a time. • Alcatraz – America’s most infamous prison becomes the site of fierce close-quarters fighting. • Bridge – A combined arms effort to secure the North tower of the Golden Gate Bridge and surrounding area. • New TDM spaces: Overpass and Waterway."

kuYuri

So I got this for PC and I'm wondering, is there a way to set Aim/Zoom to Hold instead of Toggle? I really hate Toggle Zoom.

EDIT: Never mind, found it.

I enjoyed it. There's one part which had a real impact on me as well.

Excessively short, but that appears to be the norm these days. MW3 didn't take that much longer to complete.

I'd wait for a cheaper price.

This is on sale on Steam for 12 bucks, hows the single player?
Going against the grain a little, I actually enjoyed the campaign, despite it being pretty short. Sure, it's the usual corridor style CoD stuff, but the story is interesting enough (however implausible) and I think it plays pretty well. Multiplayer is good too.

Mikey Jr.

Sorry for the necrobump, but I was looking to get back into this on the PS3.

How are the DLC maps? Are they being played on the PS3? Are they worth a purchase?

Top Bottom