• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honorable Nina Turner: "They (the DNC) tried to seduce us with donuts and water"

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/rubycramer...orial-arrogant?utm_term=.jwlMb87K4#.ho0ORkvLg

For those who don't know, Nina Turner is the president of the Our Revolution super pac

“Dictatorial.” “Arrogant.” “Pompous.” “Superficial.” “Tone-deaf.” “Tone-dead.” “Out of line.” “Insulting” — “absolutely insulting.”

These are the words that Nina Turner, president of the group founded by Bernie Sanders to further his "political revolution," used in an interview to describe the Democratic National Committee. The grievances converge around a recent trip to deliver petitions to the party’s headquarters in Washington, where Turner and other progressives were greeted by barricades, security guards, and an offering of donuts and water, an empty gesture indicative, as she saw it, of an institution that isn't “smart enough, humble enough, to say, 'let’s take a step back and really listen to the people,'" that instead is far too willing to “disregard people,” to “dismiss,” “belittle,” and “shun,” to “push them to the side” — all of which has left Turner with the view, as she puts it, that "the establishment side of the Democratic Party have shown themselves to be dictators" who "want to dictate the terms of unity."

Turner, the 49-year-old former Ohio state senator and DNC member herself, led about 60 supporters that day to the DNC offices to deliver petition signatures supporting the “People’s Platform,” a 2018 policy agenda drafted by Our Revolution in response to the one unveiled that week by party leaders in the House and Senate.

A spread of donuts and water had also been set up for the Our Revolution party. Turner took particular issue with the donuts and water, which she called “hand-out trinkets.”

“They tried to seduce us with donuts and water,” she said. “They’re pompous and arrogant enough to say to the people, you’re not good enough to be on our property — and, oh by the way, we’re just gonna hand you donuts and water over the barricade. That is insulting. Absolutely insulting.”

Turner decided to write to Our Revolution members about the incident because, in her view, she said, it embodied the problems that first made the DNC a source of mistrust. She recalled the brief remarks from DNC political director Amanda Brown Lierman, who told the crowd that Democrats would need their support in 2018. “That’s the problem,” said Turner. “You think people are just gonna do what you say, and you don’t have to really listen.” The DNC recalled the moment differently: Brown Lierman “expressed gratitude on behalf of the DNC,” and spoke about the party’s “shared values,” Hinojosa said.

She kind of sounds insane here. So lets get this narrative straight, you show up to the DNC with 60 people to hand in a petition and they don't all of you inside since brought 60 fucking people with you. They then offer you and the people you brought with water and donuts. How dare they!

Its telling when the DNC tries to offer some kind of olive branch that she turns away from it. I suppose actually trying to cooperate with or work with the democratic party hurts her group's image of being outsiders who are being oppressed by the big bad DNC

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
seems like the barricade and the security guards made the donuts a little more difficult to enjoy, no?

Well, that was fast.

Obviously, they should not have security guards!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
She...doesn't come off great here? Like I'm honestly not certain what she expected to happen when she brought 60 people to an organization's headquarters. They all sit down in a giant conference room?

Its quite possible that no reception would have been good enough, and I accept that as a valid answer. Martin Luther didn't stroll up to the church to talk to the priests. But that would make this outrage performative?

Ugh I just don't know what was in her head, what version of events she expected to play out

The Technomancer

60 people is a not insignificant crowd to walk up to what looks like a modestly sized building?
r

Veitsev

seems like the barricade and the security guards made the donuts a little more difficult to enjoy, no?

Who the fuck cares.

With everything going on with Trump on a day to day basis maybe focus on shit that matters rather than grandstanding and continuing to eat your own.

Salamando

Citing the current political climate in Washington, DNC spokesperson Xochitl Hinojosa said the barricades are put in place anytime there is a large crowd — protocol set by the “building security team,” she said, not party officials.

That...makes sense? How much warning did the DNC have that there'd be a gathering of 60+ people at their doors?

I just hope Feel the Bern'ers don't become the Democratic Tea Party.

I think we should totally judge this complex situation that involves lots of counter-balanced responsibilities and priorities that have to be juggled based on a couple of tidbits that we read on the internet. Also, we should use that incomplete information to reaffirm our biases against Sanders or against the DNC. I looked it up on imright.com

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think we should totally judge this complex situation that involves lots of counter-balanced responsibilities and priorities that have to be juggled based on a couple of tidbits that we read on the internet. Also, we should use that incomplete information to reaffirm our biases against Sanders or against the DNC. I looked it up on imright.com

I'd love for you to come up with some type of context that makes these statements acceptable.

Seriously, like right now come up with ANY feasible context that makes this a nothing story.

Hey, you know, maybe when you're going to speak to a bunch of people who are explicitly involved in representative democracy you should, I don't know, somehow determine a smaller number of people to meet with them to deliver the collective group message. You could, I don't know, choose these representatives democratically, or something.

Unless the point was to show the overwhelming strength and popularity of sixty whole people in a nation of hundreds of millions.

Suikoguy

This is nonsensical.

The argument is we are obviously jumping to conclusions, and this is just missing some type of context.

What kind of context would make this ok?

Who the fuck cares.

With everything going on with Trump on a day to day basis maybe focus on shit that matters rather than grandstanding and continuing to eat your own.

wow sorry! nina turner really seems to hit a nerve with people and it seems like she really easily gets painted as a someone who acts irrationally and selfishly. i think this erases her work as a political activist and one of the most prominent voices trying to push the democratic party to the left.

"who the fuck cares" is sort of a dismissive way to join this conversation when the reality is that it isn't nina turner writing a million articles about this donut issue. i agree that it's not the most productive thing to focus on, so why are there so many takes and opinions dwelling on these comments?

She...doesn't come off great here? Like I'm honestly not certain what she expected to happen when she brought 60 people to an organization's headquarters. They all sit down in a giant conference room?

Its quite possible that no reception would have been good enough, and I accept that as a valid answer. Martin Luther didn't stroll up to the church to talk to the priests. But that would make this outrage performative?

Ugh I just don't know what was in her head, what version of events she expected to play out

I mean, Bernie let BLM on the stage, the politically savvy thing to do when faced with protesters on your side of the aisle is to have a dialogue with them. If nothing else this is tone-deaf on behalf of an organization that claims electability as its raison d'etre.

Indivisible usually sends up ten or so people when congressional aides agree to hear us out while the rest continue with chants and signs outside; I suspect that was what the Berners wanted here.

I mean, seriously, a tea party Republican Senator treats my Indivisible group better than the DNC treated the Berners here, she's not wrong to see a slight.

The Technomancer

I mean, Bernie let BLM on the stage, the politically savvy thing to do when faced with protesters on your side of the aisle is to have a dialogue with them. If nothing else this is tone-deaf on behalf of an organization that claims electability as its raison d'etre.

Indivisible usually sends up ten or so people when congressional aides agree to hear us out while the rest continue with chants and signs outside; I suspect that was what the Berners wanted here.

I mean, seriously, a tea party Republican Senator treats my Indivisible group better than the DNC treated the Berners here, she's not wrong to see a slight.

Were they denied that? Like were they denied access from anyone going inside to speak as part of what sounds like something the DNC knew about in advance?

mlclmtckr

Banned
if you truly want to understand the mind of a lib look no further than the DNC leadership who thought that the right way to react to a bunch of Democrats carrying petitions was to put up barricades, call security and then order some donuts

like these people really do believe that politics is something that only happens on the internet and in office buildings.

a bunch of people from the same political party as you want to symbolically hand you a document that they feel embodies their ideals for the party. and in response, showing no political acumen whatsoever, you call security on them.

like it was an entirely symbolic gesture, everyone there knew that, and they still reacted like the fucking guillotine was being erected. these people are not good at their jobs and no matter what side of the issue you're on you should be worried that the party leadership is so petty and short sighted.

Hey, you know, maybe when you're going to speak to a bunch of people who are explicitly involved in representative democracy you should, I don't know, somehow determine a smaller number of people to meet with them to deliver the collective group message. You could, I don't know, choose these representatives democratically, or something.

Unless the point was to show the overwhelming strength and popularity of sixty whole people in a nation of hundreds of millions.

Citing the current political climate in Washington, DNC spokesperson Xochitl Hinojosa said the barricades are put in place anytime there is a large crowd — protocol set by the “building security team,” she said, not party officials.

Suikoguy

if you truly want to understand the mind of a lib look no further than the DNC leadership who thought that the right way to react to a bunch of Democrats carrying petitions was to put up barricades, call security and then order some donuts

like these people really do believe that politics is something that only happens on the internet and in office buildings.

a bunch of people from the same political party as you want to symbolically hand you a document that they feel embody their ideals for the party. and in response, showing no political acumen whatsoever, you call security on them.

like it was an entirely symbolic gesture, everyone there knew that, and they still reacted like the fucking guillotine was being erected. these people are not good at their jobs and no matter what side of the issue you're on you should be worried that the party leadership is so petty and short sighted.

Great job reading the thread!

OP comes off as racist as fuck.

What the fuck

Who the fuck eats donuts and drinks water? Man, at least hand over some milk or coffee. Water and donuts... thats just gross. Can't even dunk a donut in some water, all you end up with is soggy fucking donuts.

I bet it was this kind of donut too, no glaze or flavor or anything

jA015yB.jpg

I don't know op, this is really a stretch here.

Edit: to clarify because I didn't really any anything is that it's a stretch that this is much of a story. Like sure she acted dumb, right now when we have nukes as a talking point who gives a shit about coffee. You can argue she made it a story, but man for 2017 I can't see the value in this story other then saying "what a bitch right"

Veitsev

wow sorry! nina turner really seems to hit a nerve with people and it seems like she really easily gets painted as a someone who acts irrationally and selfishly. i think this erases her work as a political activist and one of the most prominent voices trying to push the democratic party to the left.

"who the fuck cares" is sort of a dismissive way to join this conversation when the reality is that it isn't nina turner writing a million articles about this donut issue. i agree that it's not the most productive thing to focus on, so why are there so many takes and opinions dwelling on these comments?

Nina Turner gets painted as someone that acts irrationally and selfishly because she acts irrationally and selfishly.

Nina Turner wants there to be a million articles written on this issue.

JABEE

a bunch of people from the same political party as you want to symbolically hand you a document that they feel embodies their ideals for the party. and in response, showing no political acumen whatsoever, you call security on them.

But regulations say...

Look at this book.

We have the protocols on our side for we are the Party of Understanding Building Security Protocols.

Were they denied that? Like were they denied access from anyone going inside to speak as part of what sounds like something the DNC knew about in advance?

I assumed that's what the barricades were for,.

I actually can't get a straight answer from the article posted, but the general gist that I got from the article, rather than the excerpts in the OP, is that they did meet. If so, this is pretty petulant on behalf of Our Revolution here.

Eh. This is such a non-story. I guess if it helps people with their hate boners, it will get attention, though.

I mean you're right but she's the one making it a story

I want some donuts

She's upset they were only offering glazed and chocolate donuts. They didn't have any cruelers, jelly or even old fashioned.

Just regular glaze and chocolate. That's some shameful shit DNC. SHAMEFUL.

At least get some fritters, what about a sprinkle?

Wait really? Wtf lame

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
She's upset they were only offering glazed and chocolate donuts. They didn't have any cruelers, jelly or even old fashioned.

Just regular glaze and chocolate. That's some shameful shit DNC. SHAMEFUL.

At least get some fritters, what about a sprinkle?

The Technomancer

I assumed that's what the barricades were for,.

I actually can't get a straight answer from the article posted, but the general gist that I got from the article, rather than the excerpts in the OP, is that they did meet. If so, this is pretty petulant on behalf of Our Revolution here.

Yeah maybe I just need to get a better picture here, what I'm envisioning is not "no-one can enter, there is a wall in front of the door" but just normal like waist high fences to funnel people when a crowd is anticipated?

Slayven

That old spin

This is sarcasm right?

nope! i see a lot of dog whistle racism used to diminish her career as a political activist and portray her exclusively as selfish and short-sighted. obviously there are some people who will hate her automatically solely for her association with bernie, which is their choice to do, but i'm not going to pretend that she is looked at as charitably by the media as she generally deserves to be.

royalan

Were they dry, stale, crusty-ass Dunkin donuts? Because I'd be offended, too. #KrispyKremeOrBust

Anyway, said this in PoliGAF, but Our Revolution and the far left movement it represents are quickly becoming the new Occupy. Noble intentions in the macro, but zoom in and there doesn't seem to be any clear goals or structure other than "agitate."

Like, Nina Turner is a grown-ass adult, former public official, and mother of a cop. She has to know that barricades like this are standard fucking security protocol.

It's been kind of fascinating watching a savvy and smart Bernie continue to maintain his popularity and appeal post-election, and contrast it with how the activists groups he left in charge of transforming local politics instantly shriveled up into irrelevancy and reduced to doing stupid publicity stunts.

The Technomancer

wait I'm confused is the plan to eat the bourgeois or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom