• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Burning Shores |OT|

midnightAI

there has to be good defensive options no matter how hard the game is. They needed to add a shield, and maybe a parry after HZD but instead of doing that they removed the long dodge and added fuck all in terms of defensive options.

Imagine souls and god of war without parry and shield. I get that this is a shooter but with just how long it takes to load and shoot arrows and just how aggressive the enemies are at charging you, it plays like a melee shooter hybrid.

IIRC, Infamous 1 gave you a shield around half way through the game and that was a non-traditional shooter too. I dont mind hard games. I dont mind aggressive enemies, but i need to be given tools to combat them.
Why do I find Forbidden West/Burning Shores easier than Zero Dawn? (even on the higher dufficulties). I find Forbidden West much easier due to a massively improved combo system and way more powerful weapons (rocket propelled spike throwers seems like a cheat mode), but also Aloy seems much more agile this time if you use the surroundings correctly.

Rubik8

The environmental detail is great in the new area, but I don’t see a massive graphical leap. I play exclusively in performance mode. I’m happy to have some more Horizon to play, even if the formula starts to wear a little thin.

Woggleman

One thing I notice is that Aloy barely gives any solutions in this DLC which is good. Also the upgrades for the new gear are not nearly as grindy. That was my major issue with HFW which I otherwise loved.

GymWolf

Finished, a decent dlc and i really liked the far zenith weapon, especially when you upgrade it and unlock the single laser attack, maybe a bit to slow to charge tho.

SCB3

Horizon is a weird series that on its surface I should love but playing this feels I dunno, kinda outdated I guess is the term, when I compare it to Uncharted or BotW or even Assassins Creed, they feel much better to play with more of a flow to them, don't get me wrong I like both games and they look fantastic but most of the way through this DLC I just am missing that urge to play unlike the previous games I mentioned

Also this DLC I think in terms of story may be going too far into the Zenith stuff as well whereas FW did a really good job of keeping them a secret until the last few hours, I do wonder where the next game will take Aloy, Europe perhaps?

So with the
dinosaur models in londras park
is that a hint we’re gonna get those wandering around for the next game?

Kvally

Banned
Just finished it up this morning. Good gameplay is there of course. Accessibility options are second to none.

Ending spoiler:

Final boss. The first half of the boss that takes place outside is awesome. The second half that takes place inside the boss is monotonous and artificially extended. The whole shoot the power weak point, jump over electrical current, shoot orbs, avoid red flames in floor, shoot weak point….and repeat and repeat and repeat and……that’s enough of that

Graphically the game is good but bugs and glitches make it less than stellar. Pop in, halo character lighting, shimmering, clipping, occasional black bars showing up when climbing is really a put off.

Story is mundane and lifeless outside of the growing relationship.

I would rate this last place between Horizon Zero Dawn, Horizon Forbidden West and Burning Shores.

Never played Frozen Wilds so I can’t comment on that.

Time to play some more Forspoken.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Just finished it up this morning. Good gameplay is there of course. Accessibility options are second to none.

Ending spoiler:

Final boss. The first half of the boss that takes place outside is awesome. The second half that takes place inside the boss is monotonous and artificially extended. The whole shoot the power weak point, jump over electrical current, shoot orbs, avoid red flames in floor, shoot weak point….and repeat and repeat and repeat and……that’s enough of that

Graphically the game is good but bugs and glitches make it less than stellar. Pop in, halo character lighting, shimmering, clipping, occasional black bars showing up when climbing is really a put off.

Story is mundane and lifeless outside of the growing relationship.

I would rate this last place between Horizon Zero Dawn, Horizon Forbidden West and Burning Shores.

Never played Frozen Wilds so I can’t comment on that.

Time to play some more Forspoken.

Frozen Wilds was pretty cool.

SpokkX

I thought it was way better than the main game

Way less bloat and you get to fly immediately - the best part of the main game

And that final encounter was just mindblowing technically

ManaByte

dEmcJWk.jpg

Finally sat down to finish it. Liked it, but glad it wasn’t more than $20.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I doubt that disc version of FFXVI will be available in my country within the next 2 weeks so...
9X4s9Cj.jpg
Let's see if I'll like this expansion more than Frozen Wilds.

Humdinger

I played an hour of this game back in April. I was trying to be positive about it at the time, but I stopped playing my PS5 at that point, and I didn't touch it again for 4 months. So I must not have liked it that much.

I started up again yesterday and played a few more hours. Here are my impressions:

1. I'm dismayed at the "girl power" theme. Did we really need two female protagonists teaming up -- two "strong and independent" female warriors, in a game already showcasing women? And most of the male characters are corrupt or marginally competent leaders, which further amplifies the feminist vibes. Yes, I know the first game had a "female first" vibe, but it wasn't as obnoxious as it is here. Or maybe I've just grown impatient with this stuff infecting so much of media. Never mind the unrealistic nature of the portrayal. I'm just tired of how hamfisted it is. It's so common that it's a cliche.

2. The writing is juvenile. For example, Seyka (?) is supposed to be one of the toughest marines they have, widely admired. Yet she says stuff like "Ooh, now we're heading into the spooky building!" and she boasts about her abilities. That is not how tough marines talk or act. She sounds like a character written by a mediocre YA fantasy writer. And there is too much exposition. Telling me that a character is heroic or virtuous does nothing for me. It's just words. Show, don't tell. Overall, the writing is just mediocre. I am just doing what the quest tells me to do, but I don't care how it works out. I don't give a shit about any of the characters or the story.

3. Why is the combat so much worse than it was in the original game? The combat in the original game was fun and strategic. Here, it is just frantic action all the time. I hardly have time to think. All these different weapons, all these different resistances, different on each enemy, all the different ammo types ... gimme a break. I was able to relax and have fun with the combat in the first game, but now they've made it overly complicated, too aggressive, and messy. At least that's the way I experience it. Which is unfortunate, because the combat in the original game was one of the things I loved about it. I get through the combat here, but I don't really enjoy it.

4. I've come across one puzzle so far -- the one with the code and the asteroids. Could you hold my hand any tighter? Not that I mind getting hints -- I don't like getting stuck on puzzles for too long -- but could you at least wait until I've had time to read the log I've just uncovered before you verbally tell me what I need to do next?

5. I see from reading the thread that Aloy turns out to be lesbian. Groan. Didn't we have enough lesbians in this game already? Is the future really so full of lesbians?

6. I'll say some positive things, though. The world is beautiful. It's fun to drive the skiff around. I like having access to the sunwing.

I'll keep plugging away, because I'm not even halfway through, but so far, I am feeling disappointed. I think my disappointment is amplified because Horizon ZD was my favorite game last gen. I feel like Guerilla took a great game and fucked it up.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
They need to sort out the object pop-in in the next game (particularly when flying). And whilst they are at it fire the musicians. Santa Monica and Naughty Dog know how to hire great musicians.

Last edited:
I'll keep plugging away, because I'm not even halfway through, but so far, I am feeling disappointed. I think my disappointment is amplified because Horizon ZD was my favorite game last gen. I feel like Guerilla took a great game and fucked it up.
aloy's story ended perfectly in zero dawn. they should've moved on, both location-wise & protagonist/cast-wise, in forbidden west. not doing so was an error. as someone who also loved zd, it's pretty much killed the series for me...

Humdinger

aloy's story ended perfectly in zero dawn. they should've moved on, both location-wise & protagonist/cast-wise, in forbidden west. not doing so was an error. as someone who also loved zd, it's pretty much killed the series for me...

Yeah, me, too. When the next game arrives, I'll check it out, just because I assume it's the last game in a trilogy. But my enthusiasm is way down. I expect them to just continue moving in the same direction. Sales have been good; reviews have been good. They have no big reason to course correct. It'll be more of the same.

I agree with you that Aloy's story ended perfectly in HZD. I don't see how they could've ditched Aloy as the main character, though. She was too popular and central to the success of HZD. But they could have created a much more interesting story than FW's mess. Maybe teamed her up with an interesting character. And they could've deepened her own character. Many people complained she was a Mary Sue. But instead they made her even more generic, first by toning down her physical attractiveness, then by turning her into a "representative" for the cause. What a bore.

Last edited:
Yeah, me, too. When the next game arrives in 6 years, I'll check it out, just because I assume it's the last game in a trilogy. But my enthusiasm is way down. I expect them to just continue moving in the same direction. Sales have been good, reviews have been good. They have no reason to course correct.

I agree with you that Aloy's story ended perfectly in HZD. I don't see how they could've ditched Aloy as the main character, though. She was too popular. But they could have created a much more interesting story than FW's mess. And they could've deepened Aloy's character -- many people complained she was a Mary Sue -- instead of making her even more generic by uglifying her and turning her into a pouty princess and then a "representative" for the cause. What a bore.
Doesn't Zero Dawn's ending set up Forbidden West?

I'm a huge fan of FW but man I couldn't get stuck into Zero Dawn, fighting combats are way too clunky and outdated, it's mostly just arrow shooting with variations of arrow shooting.

Humdinger

Doesn't Zero Dawn's ending set up Forbidden West?

I'm a huge fan of FW but man I couldn't get stuck into Zero Dawn, fighting combats are way too clunky and outdated, it's mostly just arrow shooting with variations of arrow shooting.

You could create FW from HZD's endpoint, but I wouldn't say it set it up, really. Maybe I'm forgetting something. Personally, I don't have any trouble with the FW setting. It's the weak story, all the changes to combat, and the changes to Aloy herself that bothered me.

I loved HZD's combat. I found it very enjoyable. It's not just arrow shooting; there are bombs of all types, tripcasters, ropecasters, etc. I didn't find combat clunky at all, but very smooth. But, different strokes.

Humdinger

Finished up. The last part was kind of fun, as long as no one was talking. Although I have gripes about the combat, but what really killed it for me was the writing -- the dialog. Ugh. I could only tolerate it by turning it into a joke -- giving it the old MST3K treatment. This is like mediocre YA fantasy, with PC tropes included. It's not my thing at all. I am too old, too male, and too non-feminist to enjoy this.

Apocryphon

I bought Forbidden West when I got my PS5 and moped out after the first 3 or 4 hours. Pretty yes, but tedious drivel and boring as fuck. Doesn’t sound like the DLC was much of an improvement 😂

I how they do something else next. I couldn’t care less about this series.

mitchman

Gold Member
I bought Forbidden West when I got my PS5 and moped out after the first 3 or 4 hours. Pretty yes, but tedious drivel and boring as fuck. Doesn’t sound like the DLC was much of an improvement 😂

I how they do something else next. I couldn’t care less about this series.
So you barely finished the tutorial. Well, that's like judging a book by its cover.

Humdinger

So you barely finished the tutorial. Well, that's like judging a book by its cover.

To be fair, I'd "nope out," too, if I wasn't interested in a game after 3 or 4 hours. I think that's enough time to know whether you'll like a game or not. Heck, I have dropped games after less than an hour, just because I can tell it isn't my kind of game. Could I be missing out on a great game? Sure. There are exceptions to every rule. But in my experience, if I haven't liked a game after the first few hours, sticking with it just reinforces that feeling. I don't end up liking it any more after 20 hours. I just end up feeling like I've wasted my time, sticking with something that wasn't for me.

Apocryphon

I liked Zero Dawn but couldn’t get into the sequel. I own it, but given my backlog I can’t see myself going back to it any time soon. Does it actually get better? I found the writing, art direction and characters to be terrible, and combat felt noticeably different to the first game.

They need to sort out the object pop-in in the next game (particularly when flying). And whilst they are at it fire the musicians. Santa Monica and Naughty Dog know how to hire great musicians.
What was wrong with the music haha. I think it's great especially when flying high in the clouds. But yes I agree the draw distance and pop in is pretty horrendous. The base game works so much better because you can't fly as high.

Top Bottom