• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Burning Shores |OT|

GymWolf

Guerrilla said in the game guide book that Aloy was going to have a shield but they had to drop it because the controls got to complicated.

So yeah it's hard to believe that they will not find a way to implement a shield in the third game when they already wanted Forbidden West to have one. It was the same thing for the glider that was supposed to be in the first game.
Even a flash shield that only appear for a second for a parry would be pretty good, they don't need to transform the game into a souls where you circle around enemies with your shield up.

A shield should be a last resort that doesn't protect you from everything.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Nathan drake is straight
Joel was straight like a golf club
Kratos is straight
Deacon was super straight

Selene from returnal is straight
Ratchet wank on furries but he is technically straight or asexual at the very worst
Jin from sushima was straight

Ellie...like to use straight dildos.
Peter parker is straight
Morales the Chipmunk is straight

We know that all the big western producers are performative woke but straight protagonists is a no problem for sony.
Woman are either gay or its open for discussion.

Drake had a girl who may be tasked to carry the series forward
Joel got killed off by a Woman
Deacon ... is kind of a pussy
Jin went to the pool naked, in public. He is def. gay or bi-curious
Peter was obviously mad in love with Dr. Oc

I rest my case. Sony dosnt care for straight man.

/s

GymWolf

Woman are either gay or its open for discussion.

Drake had a girl who may be tasked to carry the series forward
Joel got killed off by a Woman
Deacon ... is kind of a pussy
Jin went to the pool naked, in public. He is def. gay or bi-curious
Peter was obviously mad in love with Dr. Oc

I rest my case. Sony dosnt care for straight man.

/s
Well, i admit defeat when an argument is so well constructed.

(You had me in the first half but the deacon one was a dead giveaway)

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I remember back when amazing games came out with great gameplay, amazing graphics, and soundtracks and we didn't have devs forcing in the fact the main player HAS to have a love interest, whether that love interest is straight or gay. With that said it's undeniable that Sony is hardcore embracing the same sex love interests in most of their games now and as someone else said earlier, it's quite jarring and awkward now because it's almost expected.

Why can't we have a great game anymore without a love interest thrown in at all? I mean i'll be honest, when i'm playing a game i don't give a shit if the main character has a love interest. I'm in for great gameplay, good story and the experience overall.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I remember back when amazing games came out with great gameplay, amazing graphics, and soundtracks and we didn't have devs forcing in the fact the main player HAS to have a love interest, whether that love interest is straight or gay. With that said it's undeniable that Sony is hardcore embracing the same sex love interests in most of their games now and as someone else said earlier, it's quite jarring and awkward now because it's almost expected.

Why can't we have a great game anymore without a love interest thrown in at all? I mean i'll be honest, when i'm playing a game i don't give a shit if the main character has a love interest. I'm in for great gameplay, good story and the experience overall.
We had that for two main Horizon games and people complained the protagonist was too bland and boring.

Even a flash shield that only appear for a second for a parry would be pretty good, they don't need to transform the game into a souls where you circle around enemies with your shield up.

A shield should be a last resort that doesn't protect you from everything.
Yeah i agree, you could even have a skill when you do a perfect parry that will throwback the projectile and knockdown the machine and use the new skill from Burning Shores for the grapple that make you use your spear.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The more I read DLC impressions here, the more I get the feeling that Frozen Wilds was/is way better and there's really no need to buy Burning Shores or Complete Edition next year.

And since that's the case, I guess the most sensible thing to do for me right now is to skip BS and FW Complete Edition, wait for FW-like GFX update to ZD and wait for Horizon III.

Nydius

We had that for two main Horizon games and people complained the protagonist was too bland and boring.
I don’t think shoehorning in a relationship will change those people’s minds. Especially not when the premise of the relationship is just that Sekya is Quenloy.

Your tribe treats you like crap? Mine too!
You have a smart, but awkward, sister you need to rescue from the enemy? Me too!
You’re a skilled machine warrior? Me too!
*Siiiigh, I’ve only known her a couple days but I think I’m in love.*

Their relationship as a GIF:

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

Last edited:

Woggleman

I don’t think shoehorning in a relationship will change those people’s minds. Especially not when the premise of the relationship is just that Sekya is Quenloy.

Your tribe treats you like crap? Mine too!
You have a smart, but awkward, sister you need to rescue from the enemy? Me too!
You’re a skilled machine warrior? Me too!
*Siiiigh, I’ve only known her a couple days but I think I’m in love.*

Their relationship as a GIF:

Blaming Spider-Man GIF
Most relationships are based on things in common and people who have a vendetta against this series will not be swayed by anything.

Nydius

Most relationships are based on things in common and people who have a vendetta against this series will not be swayed by anything.
Relationships are based on some commonalities. But Burning Shores goes to great lengths to paint Sekya as a mirror image of Aloy, only Quen. There’s no real emotional weight, just Aloy falling for someone who reminds her of herself.

If they wanted a gay relationship for Aloy, Petra was right there.

Woggleman

Relationships are based on some commonalities. But Burning Shores goes to great lengths to paint Sekya as a mirror image of Aloy, only Quen. There’s no real emotional weight, just Aloy falling for someone who reminds her of herself.

If they wanted a gay relationship for Aloy, Petra was right there.
Personally before they had her as gay I thought her and Kotollo would work. They are both strong warriors and she sees him as more of an equal then others but this works as well.

iorek21

Played a bit of the dlc. This series remains one of the most overrated bloatware Sony products out there. My least liked Sony Franchise. Also, all the swimming in that armor she wears is totally stupid. You can’t swim in that…. But sure can’t give her anything that resembles a skin tight wetsuit, oh god no can’t do that….

Yep, basically this. Might be great on a visual standpoint but that's it.

Them adding THE MESSAGE into the game is just the nail in the coffin for me.

Reactions: Isa

Comandr

I’m not really mad that she’s gay, just mad that my boy Erend got fuckin done dirty like that. With all of their history and chemistry I’m just kinda butt hurt that this new chick that comes out of the blue is the one? Like wtf? Narratively this doesn’t make sense. Feels like a knee jerk decision to make her a muff diver.

Gambit2483

Is the 40fps Mode actually unlocked, or is it locked 40fps?

Which Mode are u all playing?
Not sure but I think I've seen it dip a bit in certain situations...but it's pretty stable for the most part. I still think your eyes have to "adjust" to it, just like with most 40fps modes seeing as its neither 30 nor 60fps.

I'm using the "Balanced" 40fps mode on a 120hz Oled.

Y'all debating about her sexuality and I always figured she likes p*ssy - hell I do too-more power to Aloy for that.

I spent 2 hours playing today and i'm just bored with it, pretty game but they gotta get some writers bro, the writing is just ridiculous and so are the voice performances

Spyxos

Gold Member
This game looks really really great. I like the island setting much more than the main game. I just stopped every once in a while and looked at the environment Wow. But then it came to fighting and I immediately remembered why I didn't like HFW. Way too many weapons. Many of the weapons do not appeal to me at all.

As Aloy, I'm constantly on the ground or interrupted by something and it's hard to read when and where exactly I should dodge. The fighting was 100 times better in the first Game. In this game it's just chaos and the climbing is still very sluggish.

Last edited:

Nydius

pretty game but they gotta get some writers bro, the writing is just ridiculous
Yeah, it really is. Especially when it came to the Zeniths. There was one bit of conversation after Aloy learned about the prototype rocket and Londra's plans in the Hall of Ascension that made me laugh at how bad it was. She called Londra "the worst" of the Zeniths because of his plan. The worst? Did she forget the other Zeniths were trying to steal GAIA so they could flee the planet and let Nemesis devour all life without warning?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Finally was able to play just under a couple hours last night and I hate to say I'm a bit underwhelmed by the visual presentation. My hopes for imperceptible LOD transitioning was completely dashed within the first couple of minutes with the egregious shadow pop in as Aloy makes her way to Burning Shores. Although this particular example is most likely a bug, it doesn't change the fact that Guerrilla clearly did NOT improve the streaming tech anywhere close how they had advertised in the weeks leading up to release. I do like the enhanced DoF in the cinematics but that alone doesn't do it for me, Sigh, I guess I have to wait for Spider-Man 2 to get the next gen bar raised to the level I want to see it at. For anyone who has completed the DLC, is the boss battle at least current gen worthy (just in general, no plot spoilers please).

FUBARx89

Finished it all, left it running alot while I did other things, took 20 hrs to do main story, side quests and the collectsbles. Needs some patches for visual glitches and getting stuck in random things

They might aswell bin off the ending choice of dating whats her face, it's clearly what they want and will have as canon. Sad we won't have Lance Reddick as Sylens in 3. I hope he gets killed off off screen going to the old world tech places, so no one can replace him.

Overall more of the same, which isn't a bad thing really.

Gambit2483

Finally was able to play just under a couple hours last night and I hate to say I'm a bit underwhelmed by the visual presentation. My hopes for imperceptible LOD transitioning was completely dashed within the first couple of minutes with the egregious shadow pop in as Aloy makes her way to Burning Shores. Although this particular example is most likely a bug, it doesn't change the fact that Guerrilla clearly did NOT improve the streaming tech anywhere close how they had advertised in the weeks leading up to release. I do like the enhanced DoF in the cinematics but that alone doesn't do it for me, Sigh, I guess I have to wait for Spider-Man 2 to get the next gen bar raised to the level I want to see it at. For anyone who has completed the DLC, is the boss battle at least current gen worthy (just in general, no plot spoilers please).
Would like to know most people's opinions after they've flown high in the skies...

Nydius

Would like to know most people's opinions after they've flown high in the skies...
Why? 99% of the time you're flying, you're going to be low enough to where the visual bugs present themselves on the ground based objects. The other 1% is the Stormbird chase for the Aerial Capture. The map is too small to fly all the way up at the ceiling for anything meaningful and transitioning back to the main map lowers the max ceiling.

Flying super high in the skies is functionally useless.
Pretty, but useless. Certainly not an excuse for the really bad texture and shadow pop in that plagues the Shores.

Gambit2483

Why? 99% of the time you're flying, you're going to be low enough to where the visual bugs present themselves on the ground based objects. The other 1% is the Stormbird chase for the Aerial Capture. The map is too small to fly all the way up at the ceiling for anything meaningful and transitioning back to the main map lowers the max ceiling.

Flying super high in the skies is functionally useless.
Pretty, but useless. Certainly not an excuse for the really bad texture and shadow pop in that plagues the Shores.
Though differing, all points and opinions are welcoming...even if wrong...

Last edited:
This game looks really really great. I like the island setting much more than the main game. I just stopped every once in a while and looked at the environment Wow. But then it came to fighting and I immediately remembered why I didn't like HFW. Way too many weapons. Many of the weapons do not appeal to me at all.

As Aloy, I'm constantly on the ground or interrupted by something and it's hard to read when and where exactly I should dodge. The fighting was 100 times better in the first Game. In this game it's just chaos and the climbing is still very sluggish.
yes! seriously: a sequel with inferior combat? what in the hell was guerilla thinking? whether it's deliberate or accidental, it's pretty damning...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’ve still not gotten it because I am expecting physical release on goty disc like zero Dawn… I think the dlc is included on the disc there

Edge Lord

I have said this before most of the AAA western studios are incapable of writing a good story, It's all about virtue signaling Right now.
Why bother improving your shitty Melee combat and rpg mechanics when you can get away with pretty graphics. And GAF loves pretty graphics.

Just finished the DLC, super impressed by the image quality, and of course some of the technical feats achieved like the underwater traversal and Horus boss fight, the clouds really do live up to the hype, they feel super realistic and immersing. Can't wait to see what they do with the sequel.

As for the story....I do have a few things to say...

I just don't buy the romance between Aloy and Seyka, their relationship is just poorly written, like there is no chemistry between the two. Aloy's other more social relationships with say Kotallo and Sylens were much better written, given their characteristics and such they have a kind of synergy, but yes this felt kind of rushed.

Other parts of the story were nothing amazing either, defeat the big bad guy and save the day.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just finished the DLC, super impressed by the image quality, and of course some of the technical feats achieved like the underwater traversal and Horus boss fight, the clouds really do live up to the hype, they feel super realistic and immersing. Can't wait to see what they do with the sequel.

As for the story....I do have a few things to say...

I just don't buy the romance between Aloy and Seyka, their relationship is just poorly written, like there is no chemistry between the two. Aloy's other more social relationships with say Kotallo and Sylens were much better written, given their characteristics and such they have a kind of synergy, but yes this felt kind of rushed.

Other parts of the story were nothing amazing either, defeat the big bad guy and save the day.
DLC story was far too brief for the relationship with Seyka to honestly have any chemistry at all.
Sounds like the DLC only really had one purpose....
giphy.webp

I'm boycotting this DLC because it doesn't seem to do anything new for the series

Guerrilla Games needs to hire someone from Hollywood to run their storytelling and script writing because it's one of the biggest issues with these games. No personality whatsoever.

Kvally

Banned
I am just wrapping it up now (very short). It wasn't bad. But HZD and HFW OG were better. This forced relationship didn't work for me.

Graphically, this is a mess and a step down. During cutscenes, there are halo outlines around the characters when they are in front of contrasting backgrounds. Flickering of hair on characters is prominent (like it's not fully loaded). Twitching of dangling items off of clothing or tents. Pop-in galore, mostly when flying but also in shadows, textures and foliage. Playing last night, I literally saw an entire LA building pop in only a couple hundred yards away from me. Obsessive use of fog, which I assume is for performance reasons.....is EVERYWHERE. During cutscenes and game play. Noticeable reduction in character quality when not in a cutscene. A lot of clipping and technical glitches as well. Going up into the clouds, looks cool. But is pointless, as it doesn't help with anything.
The loading when going to merchants or inventory stash? Really?

The good is awesome weapons, SOLID game play, awesome machines (though the frog is kinda meh). Exploration is still huge and satisfying when opening loot boxes. Skill tree is easy to fill up. Crafting during combat is perfection.

I will finish this, but I highly doubt I will play a third one.

Did I mention, foggggyyyyy??

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The more I hear about it the more it seems this was just thrown out to tick a box.
Such a shame too.

SCB3

Finally got around to starting and man hearing Lance Reddick :( such a great VA and Sylens is probably the best character in Horizon

I wasn't a big fan of Forbidden West (I thought it felt outdated but looked fantastic) so this hopefully will be better, I kinda wanna go back and do some side quests for some better armor but we'll see

ChiefDada

Gold Member
HOLY S*** THE LIGHTING IN THE BURNING SHORES CAULDRON IS AMAZING WTF!!!!! I never thought I'd be saying this about interior lighting in a Horizon game but they freaking did it omg!!!!!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am just wrapping it up now (very short). It wasn't bad. But HZD and HFW OG were better. This forced relationship didn't work for me.

Graphically, this is a mess and a step down. During cutscenes, there are halo outlines around the characters when they are in front of contrasting backgrounds. Flickering of hair on characters is prominent (like it's not fully loaded). Twitching of dangling items off of clothing or tents. Pop-in galore, mostly when flying but also in shadows, textures and foliage. Playing last night, I literally saw an entire LA building pop in only a couple hundred yards away from me. Obsessive use of fog, which I assume is for performance reasons.....is EVERYWHERE. During cutscenes and game play. Noticeable reduction in character quality when not in a cutscene. A lot of clipping and technical glitches as well. Going up into the clouds, looks cool. But is pointless, as it doesn't help with anything.
The loading when going to merchants or inventory stash? Really?

The good is awesome weapons, SOLID game play, awesome machines (though the frog is kinda meh). Exploration is still huge and satisfying when opening loot boxes. Skill tree is easy to fill up. Crafting during combat is perfection.

I will finish this, but I highly doubt I will play a third one.

Did I mention, foggggyyyyy??
lol when I brought up fog last year, people jumped down my throat. Glad to see people finally realize why this game needed so much fog. without fog, the pop-in is a mess. I just had an island pop in in front of me and i wasnt even flying. I was just riding the boat.

The new skills and weapons dont do much. Frozen wilds had much better weapons that completely changed the combat. The machine gun is tied to stamina and as soon as you run out of stamina, it becomes useless. it cant be upgraded for some reason so you have to live with its small damage potential.

I am not a fan of any of the new characters. Again, frozen wilds had a much better cast and way better family dynamics.

Whats weird is that despite adding so many different skills, i find myself not using any of them during combat. They are so situational you might as well not use them at all. Same goes for valor. I saw the valor with chain shock damage but then i realized that it only kicks in after you remove a component. well, good luck trying to remove a component when the fucking frogs and monkeys are flying around like idiots all the time. so i switched to the mount one which is supposed to pulse shock damage to nearby enemies and it would get gang raped in seconds. i revived it twice with 300 shards and it died within seconds each time. I now remember why i never bothered using mounts in this game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And done. This is way shorter than Frozen Wilds which is odd because this was made in 14 months while Frozen Wilds took just 8 months. Only one new enemy type. Only one new weapon.

The horus battle was the highlight but even that didnt feel as epic as it shouldve. I have no idea why flying combat is not in this game. I also have no idea why clouds are in this game. nothing happens when you go into them. The flying speed is the same. this is so dumb.

The lesbian stuff was groan inducing, but they surprisingly let you choose if you want to bang her or not. Color me surprised.

Overall, I prefer Frozen Wilds but this is a good waste of $20 if you like Sony cinematic games. I dont care what anyone says, but horizon FW had a great story and high production values. Same is true here even if it ends in a flash and isnt as meaty as the Frozen Wilds DLC.

I really dont know where they take the series from here. Its obviously already gotten stale. They took 6 years to do this horus fight and didnt even bother implementing flight combat. They did give us a machine gun weapon which is cool but just one isnt enough. the game should just forget its bow and arrow roots and go full sci-fi with guns and robots. Do a mini reboot of sorts. It will let them make this a much faster paced combat game like they so desperately want it to be. Aiming at weakpoints with bows and arrows and reloading after each shot is not a good fit for this aggressive action packed game. The next game needs to be balls to the wall action like those CG trailers they put out.

Edit: I will say one thing about the clouds. You have to go fly over them. Go up above the clouds and its the greatest graphics ever. It is mind blowing how pretty it looks. I wish there was something to do up there because I want to spend hours up there.

Last edited:

Nydius

They did give us a machine gun weapon which is cool but just one isnt enough.
The sad thing is the Specter Gauntlet was weak af. My upgraded legendary boltblasters shredded machines faster, especially after adding some of the elite coils to them.

I get they didn’t want to make a weapon that was super overpowered to the point where people didn’t use anything else but it was so weak that it was never my first choice to use. Or second. Or third.

RCU005

I’m loving the DLC so far! The first moment I so Seyka interact with Aloy I thought they should be girlfriends! Many people obviously complain, but I feel it fits Aloy’s character and it doesn’t feel forced.

I haven’t even got to that part yet, but it’s obvious that’s where they are going. Seyka is a great addition to the game.

Now to the most important part: the gameplay.
They made so many huge changes that improve it so much. I’ve been begging for a way to make a shield and they did it. The ability to use the pull caster in battle is very welcome.

These are improvements that normally happen in a sequel, but made me really excited for what could come next! I really can’t wait for Horizon 3.

I normally don’t buy DLC, but I got my money’s worth. I’m very satisfied with it.

And done. This is way shorter than Frozen Wilds which is odd because this was made in 14 months while Frozen Wilds took just 8 months. Only one new enemy type. Only one new weapon.

The horus battle was the highlight but even that didnt feel as epic as it shouldve. I have no idea why flying combat is not in this game. I also have no idea why clouds are in this game. nothing happens when you go into them. The flying speed is the same. this is so dumb.

The lesbian stuff was groan inducing, but they surprisingly let you choose if you want to bang her or not. Color me surprised.

Overall, I prefer Frozen Wilds but this is a good waste of $20 if you like Sony cinematic games. I dont care what anyone says, but horizon FW had a great story and high production values. Same is true here even if it ends in a flash and isnt as meaty as the Frozen Wilds DLC.

I really dont know where they take the series from here. Its obviously already gotten stale. They took 6 years to do this horus fight and didnt even bother implementing flight combat. They did give us a machine gun weapon which is cool but just one isnt enough. the game should just forget its bow and arrow roots and go full sci-fi with guns and robots. Do a mini reboot of sorts. It will let them make this a much faster paced combat game like they so desperately want it to be. Aiming at weakpoints with bows and arrows and reloading after each shot is not a good fit for this aggressive action packed game. The next game needs to be balls to the wall action like those CG trailers they put out.

Edit: I will say one thing about the clouds. You have to go fly over them. Go up above the clouds and its the greatest graphics ever. It is mind blowing how pretty it looks. I wish there was something to do up there because I want to spend hours up there.
For me i think the main quest in the DLC took me around the same time then Frozen Wilds, i don't remember for the optionnal stuff but i believe you do everything in 15 hours or a bit more in the first DLC.

I found a really cool new build for the melee in the DLC based on the new skills for the spear with elemental spear, the machine grapple and the Quen Commander armor. It make easy to inflect the effects and you don't need any specific weapons, i use the melee might for the surge with it i can attach a lot of resonators and the surge allows you to knockdown enemies on power attack and you can do more grapple strikes and it also charge up the spear.

The gauntlet is pretty good specially with the quest that give you the stuff for is uppgrade, i wonder if you can make a strong build around it.

It's a shame that you can't save and swap between builds/loadouts because compared to Zero Dawn it can really change how you approach the combat.

Last edited:

Tahj

Overall, having a fun time so far. Really enjoy the Horizon games, though I thought in HFW there was a heavy lean of Aloy constantly being exasperated & sighing w/ peeps (& I get it, she's got a lot of knowledge that would takes ages to explain / prove / etc), but regardless, I prefer how in this DLC she's slightly more personable w/ her new crush (though I agree as someone stated earlier, Petra, hello?).

But to the far more important stuff, gameplay & gfx...these games have always been gorgeous to my eyes, though more pop-in in this DLC for sure. I recall HFW had some of that at launch, so hoping they smooth it out.

So far I've mostly enjoyed the fights & encounters, but Guerilla def need to add in a block or parry or non-rolling dodge or more I-frames or or or...& I will say the machines forecasting suspiciously well where I'll land whilst their back is turned & them changing direction mid-air needs to go.

Top Bottom