• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Preview Thread [Up: All Previews Live]

• Bow combat
  • Weapon skill trees
  • Environment collectibles (plants)
  • Beasts that can be tamed and ridden
  • Towers the reveal more of the game world map
  • Stealth
  • 'Focus' mode revealing target locations in the view
  • Weather
  • In game help/tutorials and lore accessible through game menus
  • In game cut scenes
  • Mission objectives shown in game on the HUD
LOL. In game cut scenes>? Bow Combat? Mordor invented a lot of shit man lol. Almost all of this has been in games for decades, Mordor was not the first to have skill trees, Collectibles, come on. In game tutorials? This has to be a joke post/.

It's a video game, so same as Mordor lol.

Is there any sort of multiplayer in this game or is it just the campaign?

It's a single player RPG. They haven't said whether future instalments in the franchise will have multiplayer, though it wouldn't surprise me if they expand into something like that bit.

That's not an excuse. I'm just saying Witcher 3 has a lot of "Ubisoft elements" that people don't realize or criticize as much because of the writing/presentation package those elements came in

personally I don't care if Horizon has those elements as long as it finds a way to stay fun
Thing is, I wouldn't call them "Ubisoft elements". I mean, wouldn't it be weird to say that Titanfall 2 has "Activision elements" because it also is a linear sci-fi shooter with set pieces, multiplayer, and so on?

Those "Ubisoft elements" aren't unique to Ubisoft. They're elements of open world games and wRPGs. Ubisoft just does them worse and more frequently than other games.

• Bow combat
  • Weapon skill trees
  • Stealth
  • Weather
  • In game cut scenes
You can't be serious with this list, right? HUD mission objectives, cut scenes and tutorials, stealth, weather, bows? You could say Tomb Raider and Skyrim lifted wholesale from Mordor too with that list

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
What's up with people and the "Giving Guerrilla's track record." Bullshit ? Those people probably only ever played Shadowfall I would guess.

• [*]Bow combat
  • Weapon skill trees
    [*]Environment collectibles (plants)
    [*]Towers the reveal more of the game world map
    [*]Stealth
    [*] 'Focus' mode revealing target locations in the view
    [*]Weather
    [*]In game help/tutorials and lore accessible through game menus
    [*]In game cut scenes
    [*]Mission objectives shown in game on the HUD

Are you being serious?

Whats even crazier about this post is the fact that Shadow of Mordor's bread and butter (combat) is RIPPED WHOLESALE from the Arkham series.

You really said in game cutscenes... lmao

Tigress

For a lot of people, you're only as good as your last game.

Yeah but if you are going to say going by their track record, you really should consider all their games, not just one. I for one have no idea on whether to trust them by their track record as I've only played Shadowfall (but since I know they have made other games I don't know if that is their usual quality).

The God

Thing is, I wouldn't call them "Ubisoft elements". I mean, wouldn't it be weird to say that Titanfall 2 has "Activision elements" because it also is a linear sci-fi shooter with set pieces, multiplayer, and so on?

Those "Ubisoft elements" aren't unique to Ubisoft. They're elements of open world games and wRPGs Ubisoft just does them worse and more frequently than other games.

You can't be serious with this list, right? HUD mission objectives, cut scenes and tutorials, stealth, weather, bows?

I agree with you, I just put "Ubisoft elements" in quotes for lack of a better phrase

LOL. In game cut scenes>? Bow Combat? Mordor invented a lot of shit man lol. Almost all of this has been in games for decades, Mordor was not the first to have skill trees, Collectibles, come on. In game tutorials? This has to be a joke post/.

It's a video game, so same as Mordor lol.

You asked for similarities to Mordor. I gave them to you.

I'm not saying that Mordor invented this stuff just that Horizon seems to do very little to step beyond what has already established in the genre.

It just looks like "more of the same". That's not to say it won't do well both critically and commercially as the press looks very favorable so far.

Other than the graphics I honestly can't see much to be excited about but YMMV...

I'd say my only disappointment with Horizon's core gameplay is the Concentration ability because there doesn't really seem to be a down side to it like there is in Vanquish or Max Payne (being limited resource or giving movement penalties for exhausting all of it). It's its own separate bar that recharges on its own which gives me the impression of a disjointed mechanic. And while the visual effects look cool, they don't look as convincing as say FEAR's effects. It's caught in this odd middle ground I'd say.

Going into slow motion from a jump or Sliding is really cool and is neat extension of Aloy's abilities that gives some neat strategy to them (as in how do I set up this move so I can do this), but being able to slow down time at any time to aim doesn't sit right with me for some reason.

Everything else moveset wise in horizon seems to link so well so it's odd that this sticks out to me so much.

• Bow combat
  • Weapon skill trees
  • Stealth
  • Weather
  • In game cut scenes

Lots of games have those. Some do it better than others. Red Dead redemption's Horse system was awesome. Weather in the Phantom Pain changes the gameplay. In Game Cutscenes should be universal in RPGs because they enable clothing to stick around. Lore in Menus has been around since forever. Towers that reveal the maps can be a good starting point. They can make for a nice pacing concept to start looking around. The problem is that most games don't use the opportunity of height for observation or trivialize the act of climbing to the point of making it meaningless. I rather like Towers as a Gameplay structure, but I think most games use them poorly.

I'm not saying that Mordor invented this stuff just that Horizon seems to do very little to step beyond what has already established in the genre.

It just looks like "more of the same". That's not to say it won't do well both critically and commercially as the press looks very favorable so far.

Other than the graphics I honestly can't see much to be excited about but YMMV...
Those aren't similarities to Mordor. Those are similarities to Mordor, Tomb Raider, Skyrim, Crysis 3, Saints Row, Red Dead Redemption, Turok, Thief, The Last of Us, Dishonored, Mount and Blade, and too many other games to count

If you're going to argue it's too similar to Mordor, an argument would require specific examples, not gameplay elements that can be found in myriad games across myriad genres

You gave a bunch of things every game has, it was a nonsensical post. Do you have anything of substance on how it is like mordor or just here to shit post? A lot of people see a lot to be excited about, opinions.

Mosse

Neo Member

You're right! I did some digging around and the similarities goes deeper then I first imagined. Horizon also got:

-walking
-options accessible in the game menu
-In game story
-gameplay
-both got the letter o in the title

Maybe you should add them to your list

I take it all back...

Horizon is clearly the most innovative piece of software that the world is ever likely to see.

I have immediately placed 100 preorders and am counting down the seconds until release.

I can't wait!

It's going to be amazing!

Opinions, how do they work?

I take it all back...

Horizon is clearly the most innovative piece of software that the world is ever likely to see.

I have immediately placed 100 preorders and am counting down the seconds until release.

I can't wait!

So instead of expounding on your bullet points and responding to the fact that other games do the same things you mentioned but seemed to arbitrarily attributed them to Mordor you decided to double down.

No need to be defensive and run away. Just explain what you mean. Use logic. I know you can do it.

What makes the aforementioned features exclusive to Mordor? ARe you going to ignore the fact Mordor ripped of Arkham?

Mosse

Neo Member
I take it all back...

I can't wait!

No one is saying that. It's just funny that half your list is things that every game has, not just mordor.

Cyborg, confirmed.

confirmed

The animation for this is incredible smooth. It doesn't interrupt the aiming seemingly at all and is so fluid.

Yeah that stood out to me as well.

Now that's a cool little detail. I love subtle touches like that

Yeah I love looking at all the little details as well.

That is so cool. I just recently listened to the Hardcore History 'Wrath of the Khans' podcast series and he mentions that Mongol riders would shift positions on their horses to enable them to fire behind and even side-mounted.

Noice! I like as little HUD as possible without hampering the experience in SP games.

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Oh man. Am I the only one who thinks Aloy is really, really attractive?

You're never the only one.

I am Loving the sense of depth in lighting in this gif. The volumetric fog and lights are really uplifting the whole night scene.

From all that I have seen, GG has nailed the sense of depth and lighting in this game.

• Bow combat
  • Weapon skill trees
  • Stealth
  • Weather
  • In game cut scenes

I honestly don't know who's serious and who's just having a laugh at this point.

black070

I take it all back...

I can't wait!

I don't understand who this is directed to.

I take it all back...

I can't wait!

What are you trying to accomplish? Who is saying Horizon is innovative? I'll wait for examples. Your post was nonsense and got called out for it. No need to get defensive.

I take it all back...

I can't wait!

Or you could perhaps choose mechanics and elements specific to Mordor to argue how Horizon and it are similar?

What is specific to Mordor?
- Nemesis system
- A grimy wasteland of a fantasy setting
- Abilities drawn from the protagonist's connection to a spirit being
- Gory combat inspired by the Arkham games

What you listed were elements found, either in part or wholesale, in hundreds of games across many genres, not stuff directly related to Mordor

FATALITY

Banned
Ao0Wv.gif

I don't really mind if Horizon has elements from other good games, like Far Cry and Uncharted, it's hardly the first game to borrow stuff and the game is looking awesome, so it shouldn't hurt the game.

The previews have been extremely positive, way more than even I thought tbh. It actually seems too good to be true and with it being pushed as the next big high profile game, I was expecting previews to be very critical and highlight more faults but it seems like everyone is loving it, with only minor faults mentioned, so unless there is something very wrong with the end game, I expect it to review very well.

Tonky

So it's confirmed that there will be no flying mounts and Thunderjaw is not mountable? Then the leaks from earlier were fake? Disappointed if true. Imagine fighting a Tallneck with a Thunderjaw.

LuuKyK

So it's confirmed that there will be no flying mounts and Thunderjaw is not mountable? Then the leaks from earlier were fake? Disappointed if true. Imagine fighting a Tallneck with a Thunderjaw.

Well, ND also said you would only play as Joel in TLOU. Just saying.

Thunderjaw mounts, flying mounts, and corrupted Tallnecks are the kinds of things you would keep secret so they're a surprise for players

So as of now, not confirmed or stated as not in the game, but the potential seems too big for them to at least not have stuff like that for a mission or late game secret

VanWinkle

I take it all back...

I can't wait!

You posted a list of what so many games have in common. You literally didn't list one thing that makes it similar specifically to Mordor. Mordor actually has an innovative mechanic in the Nemesis system. But there are so many great games that don't actually have innovations in them. Witcher 3? Skyrim? Uncharted 4? Etc. Etc. They don't reinvent the wheel. They just do things very very well. Why should having a lack of innovations be a bad thing?

And the fact that you said "in game cutscenes,"....I mean, what on earth? Bro, IN GAME CUTSCENES?

The originality argument is stupid.

Breath of the Wild is also a giant Amalgamation of ideas from all over the industry.

Nioh is a permutation on the Souls games. And guess what it's amazing. Because Team Ninja took what worked and mixed in their own ideas to see what they could do.

Ico, one of the most praised games in the industry has roots in cinematic platformers. And TLG then draws on both of its predecessors while doing its own thing.

The superficiality of some of originality arguments really bothers me. Nothing individual is purely original so ask what the combination of these individual characteristics offers.

Tonky

Thunderjaw mounts, flying mounts, and corrupted Tallnecks are the kinds of things you would keep secret so they're a surprise for players

So as of now, not confirmed or stated as not in the game, but the potential seems too big for them to at least not have stuff like that for a mission or late game secret
I would actually disagree, because that's a feature that could sell people on the game. Giant robot-to-robot battles would put this game on a different level, so I hope you are right.

SpokkX

Any word of actual dungeons with puzzles and bosses?

Or is the game structured around standard open world type "quests" (rescue someone etc) with focus on combat and crafting?

Is it more Farcry 3 or Zelda is really my question?

Or is the game structured around standard open world type "quests" (rescue someone etc) with focus on combat and crafting?

There are dungeons, called Cauldrons.

VanWinkle

Its structure is more like Witcher 3 instead of tons of puzzle rooms and a smaller focus on narrative like Zelda. There are "dungeons" though in the game.

There are dungeons, called Cauldrons.
Here's a description of one
I did get just enough time to take on one of Horizon's dungeons, known as "cauldrons," and it offered a solid enough indoor challenge. I found myself in a mechanical sorting facility, full of platforms that ran on loops near the ceiling. I could jump and hang onto those platforms to get from place to place in the facility, which let me either skip certain dangerous foes or get a better position to battle them.

The more closed nature of this cauldron also changed the pace and intensity of combat, which made it a particularly feverish climax point in my session. (In this, I tried, and failed, to fell a deadly, armored Shellwalker, even though I had very nearly figured out how to cleverly overcome his shielding techniques.)
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...awn-made-me-crazy-with-anticipation-for-more/

I suspect we won't see any puzzle-driven dungeons. We've got cauldrons, but I don't think they offer that kind of experience (though I stand to be corrected).

However, I think including such challenges would be a real killer feature. Zelda is the only game in the genre (and I'm using that term loosely) that can boast such intricate design in an open-world.

Imagine Horizon - what we've seen of it so far - with Zelda-esque dungeons. It would be a real treat. I imagine it would be an enormous undertaking though.

That's how these types of open-worlds are going to be pushed forward if you ask me. Marrying traditional open-worlds tropes with pockets of tightly designed, mechanically driven gameplay challenges.

The newest Zelda might be the game to do that and I suppose you could argue the series has always done that to an extent, but it's very Japanese in its design and stumbles where some of its Western contemporaries succeed.

Top Bottom