• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

Gradly

a419ee5a_o.png

Putting the rest in the spoiler thread.

Wow looking at this and wondering since when games have no aliasing issues :)

nitrowolf2

Neo Member
MAKE A HARD SAVE GUYS BEFORE YOU BEAT THE GAME

Yes, you can continue playing after you beat it, HOWEVER, it glitched one of my sidequests as the requirements for it were achieved during the final level, which it wasn't intended to be so I cant't turn the quest in. luckily I made a hardsave.

If you are wondering which quest, it's the first hunting Lodge one you get (not hnting trials, this is seperate) asking you to collect kill trophies.

Exquisik

I remember when this generation started and a lot of people were claiming that we are not going to get jaw dropping graphical leaps like we use to. Then I saw Libertalia in Uncharted 4 and I realized how wrong they were as I was collecting my jaw of the floor. And now guys are telling me that Horizon might have Uncharted 4 beat...

I did not expect any game to beat Uncharted 4 graphic fidelity within a year time frame, but man, Horizon is looking to do just that and is an open world RPG. Just the fact that it looks that good and is an open world game is a feat itself.

gow3isben

Yeah, that's the main problem in open world RPGs. There's no sense of cities in the 'cities'. Well yeah, there are bricks and stuff but they're so tiny to be called cities. And when there are huge cities in some games, we can only explore tiny parts of them. Only The Witcher 3 so far that can give me a real city feeling.

Yeah that Final Fantasy 15 city Lestallum was weak. But Altissia was ok I guess. Truly I haven't been awed by an open world city outside of Novigrad (GTA and games based entirely on cities excluded of course).

Yeah that Final Fantasy 15 city Lestallum was weak. But Altissia was ok I guess. Truly I haven't been awed by an open world city outside of Novigrad (GTA and games based entirely on cities excluded of course).
My most basic measure of whether an open world city is good is if I want to walk around at a people-watching pace rather than running/driving/fast traveling everywhere. GTA V, Watch Dogs 2, Witcher 3, RDR, and Fallout 4 check that box for me

The Lamp

There's a cutscene here at the end that was fascinating to witness in a video game.

Man.

Can't wait to talk about it more after people have beaten it.

gow3isben

Hopefully the thunderjaw isn't the absolute cream of the crop in terms of enemies you can encounter. If it is it still looks amazing either way.

reKon

Banned
How spoilery is Miami's vid? Is it just a random encounter?

All you people quoting it are making it so tempting.

Let's just put it this way...

I haven't seen shit this crazy in ANY open world game. GG are magicians. Only Bloodborne has crazier enemies I think. He's basically fighting one of the more powerful robo animals and the thing brings the pain.

Carcetti

Hopefully the thunderjaw isn't the absolute cream of the crop in terms of enemies you can encounter. If it is it still looks amazing either way.

There are
machine types plus variants in the heavy they-will-mess-you-up weight class, and some of the medium ones are extremely impressive, too.

Floody

I haven't seen shit this crazy in ANY open world game. GG are magicians. Only Bloodborne has crazier enemies I think. He's basically fighting one of the more powerful robo animals and the thing brings the pain.

Fuck it, let's see what all the fuss is about.

Edit: holy shit, that first machine really puts the size of the Thunderjaw into perspective, things are fucking huge.

bwakh

Sublime. I was floored when I saw that machine gun start. Extremely impressive affects and sense of battle. Had to stop watching there.

stryke

At the reveal of 2015, the Thunderjaw that Aloy fought with had already been previously attacked by another group.

Is that dynamic concept still in the game?

Wollan

The smoke that kicks up from the beasts is sublime. Large cloud smoothly animated w/nice transparency. Really indicates the heft of the creatures.

Melchiah

Does the game have quests, characters, gear, or trophies, that can be missed, and aren't attainable after reaching the end of the story? I don't want to google it, or check the trophy list, to avoid possible spoilers.

Does the game have quests, characters, gear, or trophies, that can be missed, and aren't attainable after reaching the end of the story? I don't want to google it, or check the trophy list, to avoid possible spoilers.

One of the guys who already have the game said that there's something you could miss, that's why he said to be sure to save before heading to the final mission. Not sure if it's a trophy though or if it causes an active mission to glitch or something.

Melchiah

One of the guys who already have the game said that there's something you could miss, that's why he said to be sure to save before heading to the final mission. Not sure if it's a trophy though or if it causes an active mission to glitch or something.

Thanks for the info. Is there a some sort of forewarning, before you start the final mission?

Thanks for the info. Is there a some sort of forewarning, before you start the final mission?

Sorry it took a while (had to look for it), but here's the relevant quote. Hope it helps!

MAKE A HARD SAVE GUYS BEFORE YOU BEAT THE GAME

Yes, you can continue playing after you beat it, HOWEVER, it glitched one of my sidequests as the requirements for it were achieved during the final level, which it wasn't intended to be so I cant't turn the quest in. luckily I made a hardsave.

If you are wondering which quest, it's the first hunting Lodge one you get (not hnting trials, this is seperate) asking you to collect kill trophies.

Top Bottom