• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

This can be said about everything, pretty much hard to take you serious anytime somone says this.
Many reviews said something similar. As someone who isn't entirely sold on the game, based on footage of the game I've seen, this is absolutely my biggest complaint. I'm here to maybe get a different perspective as to why I should play this, but no gameplay videos have really sold me.

Many reviews said something similar. As someone who isn't entirely sold on the game, based on footage of the game I've seen, this is absolutely my biggest complaint. I'm here to maybe get a different perspective as to why I should play this, but no gameplay videos have really sold me.

So what do you play? If you only play games that do something new, what are your options? Many reviews in fact state Horizons tactical open world combat of large mechanical beasts is indeed fresh and new.

SomTervo

All is good fam.

This is how I felt:

image.php

What exactly are you expecting? What have you been playing that can exemplify your desire for something "new"?

What exactly are you expecting? What have you been playing that can exemplify your desire for something "new"?

He has ignored my question, so I doubt he comes back. Not to mention numerous reviews say Horizon manages to feel fresh due to setting and gameplay/combat of fighting large robots in an open world. No other game does this.

You know. You don't have to play it. So there.

Don't see why anyone would bother trying to convince you.

There's a cutscene here at the end that was fascinating to witness in a video game.

Man.

Can't wait to talk about it more after people have beaten it.

A few questions
Overall ,if you had made a review,how would be your score?
Surpassed your expectations?
pros and cons?
If lauched last year,how would you ranking Horizon in your GOTY thread?

martino

i read their new more as an uncommon.

i read their new more as an uncommon.
the game is build mainly on this generation mass market AAA sandbox/open world game design tropes even if it has above others execution.
and it's the case for many AAA this gen...maybe it's also why they don't go over 90
(btw not a problem for me i liked the formula in almost all this generation games using them so far)

The Lamp

Ok, for those that have the game and played it, I have some questions

1)I heard that the main missions, for the most part, have humans as enemies and knowing that human AI is pretty mad or mediocre at best, it kind of disappoints me.
The majority of interactions in this game are machine enemies. The humans have serviceable AI. They just don't flank you or work together to take you down.

2)Although the big machines are a treat to fight, the smaller ones are not so smart and you can easily cheese them by killing a dozen of them just of them just by hiding in the grass and not actually fighting them, which reminds me of AC of course, but I would have wanted this to be the case for only the humans in this game, not for the machines too.
There are docile machines like deer that only attack if startled, so yeah you can stealth them easily.

A few questions
Overall ,if you had made a review,how would be your score?
Surpassed your expectations?
pros and cons?
If lauched last year,how would you ranking Horizon in your GOTY thread?

9/10. (10/10 is reserved for Horizon 2 lol)
Surpassed, greatly. But my expectations weren't too high.
Horizon would be among the giants for me, like The Last Guardian, Dark Souls 3, and Uncharted 4.

Um, so how the fuck does one do screenshots? I've been doing photomode since I started playing and click the sharebutton and I just though I'd copy some images and post them online and... I copied the pics to my USB stick and its all trophy captures? wut

where are the captures? WTF is this shit. (i picked the most shit pic so if you deem it spoilerific, i'll remove it)

lol

JEViN9Z.jpg

The Lamp

I unfortunately wasn't able to finish the game. It kept lasting longer than I thought and I'm selling it to a GAFer today so he can play. But as soon as launch comes around I will play that last segment lol.

Zakalwe

Banned
Is it really only the 21st?

Someone in London who has a copy, there's a list of terrible things I'm willing to do to obtain it from you. PM for details.

Floody

Um, so how the fuck does one do screenshots? I've been doing photomode since I started playing and click the sharebutton and I just though I'd copy some images and post them online and... I copied the pics to my USB stick and its all trophy captures? wut

where are the captures? WTF is this shit. (i picked the most shit pic so if you deem it spoilerific, i'll remove it)

lol]

I think you have to save the screenshot after taking it with Triangle. Though I can't remember the last time I took a manual screenshot, so could be way off.

SomTervo

Is it really only the 21st?

Someone in London who has a copy, there's a list of terrible things I'm willing to do to obtain it from you. PM for details.

I recommend ordering from Simplygames .com. They've even got a relatively cheap 'courier delivery' option that in my experience gets the game to you well early.

lol

JEViN9Z.jpg

Go to share settings and change it to 'easy screenshots' mode, so all you have to do then is press the share button once instead of having to hold it and then press triangle.

lol

JEViN9Z.jpg

Go to share settings and change it to 'easy screenshots' mode, so all you have to do then is press the share button once instead of having to hold it and then press triangle.

Also, the PS4 take pictures automatically everytime you get a throphy, you can't turn that off if you don't like it.

But yeah, set share to easy mode so you only click it once when you have a nice image you wanna take a picture of.

Zakalwe

Banned
I recommend ordering from Simplygames .com. They've even got a relatively cheap 'courier delivery' option that in my experience gets the game to you well early.

I can't afford it until a few days after release unfortunately, so I'll just grab it from a local b&m. It's rare I get the hype these days, so I'm quite enjoying this.

That's why there is no real reason to call this game "genius" or see it as 2nd coming. And yet people are doing it.

Where ?
Most people say it's a good open world game that does stuff good and have good combat with robos.
I mean sure it's hype and you get the few people saying crazy stuff ( on both sides) but that the same with most AAA games.

I wonder if there is some open world I haven't played that have Horizon combat and enemy design. Every time someone says "it doesn't do anything new" I think about Horizon combat and attention to enemies and how I probably missed a game that did the same.

SomTervo

I can't afford it until a few days after release unfortunately, so I'll just grab it from a local b&m. It's rare I get the hype these days, so I'm quite enjoying this.

Fair play. Quick FYI - I'm not sure but I think ordering from SimplyGames, even with their dedicated courier service, will be cheaper than buying in-store. Unless you're trading something in. It'll probably be £47 rather than £55.

Support the non-chain B&M's though, if your local is one, obviously.

He has ignored my question, so I doubt he comes back. Not to mention numerous reviews say Horizon manages to feel fresh due to setting and gameplay/combat of fighting large robots in an open world. No other game does this.

Sorry that I don't spend every minute on GAF. There are a handful of reviews - as well as people here - who say that the game doesn't stray too far from the Tomb Raider/Far Cry mix. Whether or not you like that idea is subjective. I hate both games, so.

You know. You don't have to play it. So there.

Don't see why anyone would bother trying to convince you.

Right now, I don't plan to. This game has a lot of buzz, and it is well reviewed, so I came here to see if there was something I didn't know about the game.

I'm -really- tired of Ubi style open worlds. Many reviews have compared this to that. The game doesn't need to be fresh and new, but this is a style that I'm just completely burned out on.

So what do you play? If you only play games that do something new, what are your options? Many reviews in fact state Horizons tactical open world combat of large mechanical beasts is indeed fresh and new.

See above. There are also a handful that say otherwise.

Edit: I'm really not here to convince anyone not to play it. I'm defending the one guy getting attacked for not being head over heels after finishing the game. If there's something I'm not seeing, I'd like to know about it. Hence why I came into this thread.

I don't think its counting Hunters trial and Collectibles? so not sure "Everything" is the correct term to use, but who knows maybe i am wrong, we will get further update later today.

Hmm, only graphics are enjoyable..

I couldn't really speak about it due to NDA, now that this is up - IT'S NEAR PERFECT.

You don't enjoy anything else?

:) IT IS NEAR PERFECT

Just finishing my review today. It's been a blast as you can see by the reviews

Sorry that I don't spend every minute on GAF. There are a handful of reviews - as well as people here - who say that the game doesn't stray too far from the Tomb Raider/Far Cry mix. Whether or not you like that idea is subjective. I hate both games, so.

Right now, I don't plan to. This game has a lot of buzz, and it is well reviewed, so I came here to see if there was something I didn't know about the game.

I'm -really- tired of Ubi style open worlds. Many reviews have compared this to that. The game doesn't need to be fresh and new, but this is a style that I'm just completely burned out on.

See above. There are also a handful that say otherwise.

Edit: I'm really not here to convince anyone not to play it. I'm defending the one guy getting attacked for not being head over heels after finishing the game. If there's something I'm not seeing, I'd like to know about it. Hence why I came into this thread.

The game seperates itself from Ubisoft Open Worlds, why do people keep saying this? You are making incorrect assumptions, but whatever. See the quote from the review below:

http://gameaxis.com/reviews/horizon-zero-dawn-playstation-4-masterpiece/

Unlike many open world games, Horizon: Zero Dawn doesn't bog you down with repetitive and mostly unnecessary side quests that risk overwhelming players – here's looking at you Assassin's Creed and Far Cry.

Not to mention it's an RPG, with Lore, Dialog, and unique combat against a unique enemy. Seems you made your mind before.

That's why there is no real reason to call this game "genius" or see it as 2nd coming. And yet people are doing it.

You going to post some examples? Does the games positive critical reception bother you?

I wonder if there is some open world I haven't played that have Horizon combat and enemy design. Every time someone says "it doesn't do anything new" I think about Horizon combat and attention to enemies and how I probably missed a game that did the same.

Maybe monster hunter which I only played for a short time and found it too clunky. The enemies and the way the fights play out is unlike anything in a game like this. It is the special unique thing this game does and it's why it's so great.

reKon

Banned
Maybe monster hunter which I only played for a short time and found it too clunky. The enemies and the way the fights play out is unlike anything in a game like this. It is the special unique thing this game does and it's why it's so great.

Some people just aren't detailed or focused enough to be reviewing. Them saying shit like that reminds me of people on these boards that were saying that there was absolutely nothing different about Uncharted 4's gameplay compare to anything else in the series. Like it's hard for me to take you seriously after such an outrageous comment like that.

The game seperates itself from Ubisoft Open Worlds, why do people keep saying this? You are making incorrect assumptions, but whatever. See the quote from the review below:

http://gameaxis.com/reviews/horizon-zero-dawn-playstation-4-masterpiece/

Unlike many open world games, Horizon: Zero Dawn doesn’t bog you down with repetitive and mostly unnecessary side quests that risk overwhelming players – here’s looking at you Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry.

Not to mention it's an RPG, with Lore, Dialog, and unique combat against a unique enemy. Seems you made your mind before.

Two of my favorite games ever are Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate II. I'm picking up Nier Automata at release. All three games cover what you listed in some way (well, Nier, not so much on the dialog). I'm not following your last point.

As for the rest - there are people who have played the game who have compared it to the Ubi style open world. Some people might not feel this way. Both are okay. From the outside looking in, having watched videos and read countless reviews, really wanting to see what the selling point on this game is outside of the world (because I'd rather have more good games for me to play than less in the world), I see an Ubi style open world, and some people have confirmed that. I'm really burned out on that concept.

Sorry if you can't wrap your head around this.

Two of my favorite games ever are Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate II. I'm picking up Nier Automata at release. All three games cover what you listed in some way (well, Nier, not so much on the dialog). I'm not following your last point.

As for the rest - there are people who have played the game who have compared it to the Ubi style open world. Some people might not feel this way. Both are okay. From the outside looking in, having watched videos and read countless reviews, really wanting to see what the selling point on this game is outside of the world (because I'd rather have more good games for me to play than less in the world), I see an Ubi style open world, and some people have confirmed that. I'm really burned out on that concept.

You going to answer the original question? What do you play if it needs to be something new? It not being for you is fine, but the "It does nothing new" is what people can;t understand, what is?

Urgh. Non of my Photomode saved. :( I made some awesome ones too...

Here's a copy of environmental ones I just went in and made

drN918c.jpg

e8z1Ily.jpg

CUS5TeA.jpg

and here's an artsy vs robot one: http://i.imgur.com/L1YOenb.jpg won't put image tags.

The photomode is incredible. The game looks so good! Will jump over to the spoiler thread for more pics.

Fair play. Quick FYI - I'm not sure but I think ordering from SimplyGames, even with their dedicated courier service, will be cheaper than buying in-store. Unless you're trading something in. It'll probably be £47 rather than £55.

Support the non-chain B&M's though, if your local is one, obviously.

How much earlier do they ship games in the UK? If it's only one or two days I'll stick with my Amazon order.

SomTervo

Admittedly the biggest selling point seems to be the combat, which sounds incredibly thrilling and emergent on a large scale. In terms of the gameworld, parallels seem closer to Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (large spaces with lots of enemies/monsters from different factions roaming about) than Ubisoft open worlds.

The lore and backstory is apparently excellent – has Fallout: New Vegas's writer on board – but in terms of dialogue and branching narrative it doesn't sound up to P: Torment's scratch.

How much earlier do they ship games in the UK? If it's only one or two days I'll stick with my Amazon order.

It varies from about 1-2 days earlier to 4-5 days earlier. I got No Man's Sky and MGSV like 4 days early.

Paying the extra £5 for direct courier is more likely to get you it 3-4 days early – and they're also a really reasonably priced site so even with that shipping option it doesn't break £50.

Top Bottom