• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn SPOILERS Thread

I was honestly surprised that any of them survived.

I feel Gaia deserves the credit for really making a much gentler world for humans. Like with the exception of rats and bats, basically every wild animal we encounter in the game would have been easily hunted for food. At least as far as the world the new humans inherited goes, the odds were stacked in their favour

shiba5

I feel Gaia deserves the credit for really making a much gentler world for humans. Like with the exception of rats and bats, basically every wild animal we encounter in the game would have been easily hunted for food. At least as far as the world the new humans inherited goes, the odds were stacked in their favour

I figured they'd starve or freeze to death. I doubt they even knew how to cook or what real food might look like.
Seriously though, thinking about how they were trapped in there for so many years creeped me the fuck out. There was an IKEA ball room and a bunch of pre-school toys and that was it. They should have all been insane.

Zackat

I figured they'd starve or freeze to death. I doubt they even knew how to cook or what real food might look like.
Seriously though, thinking about how they were trapped in there for so many years creeped me the fuck out. There was an IKEA ball room and a bunch of pre-school toys and that was it. They should have all been insane.

in time..
in time..
in time..

that whole part was really creepy.

fuck Ted Faro

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Yeah, think it was already stated, but I think GAIA had basically made an Easier Earth to live in. Controlled weather/terraforming, little in the way on natural predators, and plenty of "more intact" ruins of buildings than what is present in the game (would have been 200ish years after the end, rather than the 1000 years in the game).

So, probably better weather, easier hunts for food, and some potential shelters to stay at. All came down to how much basic information they learned before getting out. Probably very minimal, but they at least learned a language, enough words that align with our language, so they had to have some sort of idea of basic structures/objects. What a Machine is, what a "gun" is, what a "bow" is, etc. etc.

But looking at the prevailing "religions" they are going with, insanity probably occurred and was carried on through the generations.

Zackat

Yeah, think it was already stated, but I think GAIA had basically made an Easier Earth to live in. Controlled weather/terraforming, little in the way on natural predators, and plenty of "more intact" ruins of buildings than what is present in the game (would have been 200ish years after the end, rather than the 1000 years in the game).

So, probably better weather, easier hunts for food, and some potential shelters to stay at. All came down to how much basic information they learned before getting out. Probably very minimal, but they at least learned a language, enough words that align with our language, so they had to have some sort of idea of basic structures/objects.

She had to have known how to make wolves, mountain lions, etc. though. Were Ravagers and Scavengers around before the Derangement? Because they fit that niche, but they don't hunt wildlife. Kind of interesting to think about. It is almost like she got stopped, because there are foxes which would hunt the rats and birds but nothing to hunt the boars (that I can think of).

I just finished the main story and I thought I'd pop in while riding that high.

Has the theory already been floated that the twelve strange people that killed Rost's daughter had something to do with the initial "freeing" of Hades?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
She had to have known how to make wolves, mountain lions, etc. though. Were Ravagers and Scavengers around before the Derangement? Because they fit that niche, but they don't hunt wildlife. Kind of interesting to think about. It is almost like she got stopped, because there are foxes which would hunt the rats and birds but nothing to hunt the boars (that I can think of).

Yeah, I imagine all the types of robots had been around the whole time. Think Margo and Lis were talking about the creativity GAIA was showing when coming up with robot shapes, even referring, I believe, to the Thunderjaw (Dinosaur). Maybe they were around for animal population control.

The more logical answer: The game devs only created the limited amount of animals, who knows what is really out there in the rest of the world.

Also, fuck GAIA for making the Ostriches. They serve no purpose now, nor in the future. Fucking Sonic Boom bastards.

But looking at the prevailing "religions" they are going with, insanity probably occurred and was carried on through the generations.

I dunno about that. The religions we see in Aloy's time all look like fairly natural progressions of early naturalistic religions. Like I can imagine the progenitors of the Carja coming out of their shelters and going, "Yo, what's that bright thing in the sky? It must be God!"

I dunno about that. The religions we see in Aloy's time all look like fairly natural progressions of early naturalistic religions. Like I can imagine the progenitors of the Carja coming out of their shelters and going, "Yo, what's that bright thing in the sky? It must be God!"
Well if I remember right. The originals that were born in the vaults were obsessed with the sun. Well I guess you could say outside in-general, but its possible that translated eventually to the Sun religion.

Man that whole part was creepy and sad as fuck. All those drawings on the walls. Then smashing things against the door desperate to go anywhere else. I couldn't imagine being stuck in such a small area with all those people.

Wozman23

I was thinking about this to, but more as a design constraint. There was a datalog that mentioned introducing animals back into the ecosystem, and it specifically mentioned the wildlife in the game. Now I don't expect Guerrilla to create a whole Noah's Ark of wildlife, but it's as if GAIA was like, "Insects, rats, rabbits, foxes, raccoons, turkeys, geese, boars... this is getting boring... time for humans."

It would have been nice to have threatening wildlife as well, like bears.

You would have thought, at the very least, the servitors in the cradles could have been programmed to educate people about simple concepts of math, science, physics... Maybe they were designed to consult Apollo for information. It seems like they basically babysat them and taught them next to nothing about the world they were stepping in to. It seems like they weren't equipped with any tools to aid them either. I picture the first person walking out and being perplexed by the first machine they saw, but at least they weren't deranged at that point. It makes you wonder how long they took to understand making fire, basic construction, or creating an economy based on shards.

Dragun619

Finally beaten this today, and overall, I'm just really glad Guerilla Games excellently executed telling the story.

Other than fantastic graphics & presentation, The shit that got me hooked the most was how they made me wanna look and listen to a lot of these voice recordings and vantage points. Awesome stuff.

But that Ted Faro guy tho. I'm not even sure why anyone would even invite him into that last bunker or even give him any access to any machine. After fucking up with the robots, shoot, He should of been locked up in prison or something, for practically dooming all life on the planet. And If it's about funding then I find it hard to believe Zero Dawn would have any trouble securing any funds. I mean, They lied to people about Enduring Victory so they can also lie to investors about Zero Dawn as well and Given the short time window they had till extinction, Investors would bought anything up if you present them with a means of survival.

And That scene where he purged Apollo. Bruh. fuck Ted Faro.

I know they said that Aloy isn't 100% going to be the protagonist of every Horizon ZD game but I really hope she is at least for the sequel. I feel like we can still her develop a lot more.

They say that but I think it's definitely too early to call. After all this positive reception, They gotta make her main protagonist going forward, at least until all this HADES business truly done with.

I would hate to jump in the sequel as a new character and be told about all this shit again. lol. Plus I want too see GAIA rebooted and interact with Aloy.

Maybe they'll come to try set humanity forward again. Or find a way to salvage APOLLO, maybe. Or somehow get GAIA to come out and teach Lansra, Resh and the Nora Tribe some truth and shit. lol. Can't wait.

Mindlog

Oh yeah, weirdest connection ever for me.

Coming down the elevator in Meridian I had one of the strangest random gaming related desires ever. What if you took the fidelity of Horizon and created a John Cater game?
sZoD9Hm.jpg
A lovingly detailed world with lots of melee gameplay, but damn near superhero abilities. Hadn't thought about that silly movie in years, but the ornate Meridian elevator brought that game wish forward.

Showaddy

Probably already been mentioned but god damn some of the backstory in the messages are grimdark. Just thinking about the US army hurling untold millions of conscripted men and women into a giant robot swarm meat grinder just to slow them down is crazy.

CrazyDude

Now that I think about it, don't they still need to fix Gaia? I remember them saying the whole world would turn to chaos without her managing it.

Probably already been mentioned but god damn some of the backstory in the messages are grimdark. Just thinking about the US army hurling untold millions of conscripted men and women into a giant robot swarm meat grinder just to slow them down is crazy.

Right? Those poor souls. They had no idea. Meat grinder is probably an accurate description of what happened, too.

You would have thought, at the very least, the servitors in the cradles could have been programmed to educate people about simple concepts of math, science, physics... Maybe they were designed to consult Apollo for information. It seems like they basically babysat them and taught them next to nothing about the world they were stepping in to. It seems like they weren't equipped with any tools to aid them either. I picture the first person walking out and being perplexed by the first machine they saw, but at least they weren't deranged at that point. It makes you wonder how long they took to understand making fire, basic construction, or creating an economy based on shards.

My interpretation was that all teachable information was stored in Apollo. Gaia obviously stored information in her other subroutines so as to allow their continued function, but it appears that they were not formatted in a way that Gaia could break down and then teach to the new humans.

And yeah, you are right. They were tragically ill equipped for independent life, let alone one in what would be to them an alien world. And as I noted in one of my earlier post, not only were they lacking in basic knowledge, the new humans seem poorly developed in terms of 'soft skills,' as well, lacking the emotional maturity to properly process their feelings and dealing with stress.

It's almost a miracle they managed to survive, though I feel what lives they led after leaving their bunkers would have suuuuuuucked

Wollan

That was chilling as hell. The whole fall of civilization was both intriguing and very dark. The voiced recordings were disturbing. Early on you had reports of schools of Dolphins being one of the first targets and with the result looking like meat put in a blender. Then you had the millions and millions of people sent into the same situation just to buy time for Project Zero Dawn...

I think there's enough to Aloy to warrant going back to her: she's discovered who's her "mother", but she probably would want to actually know her mother. In a sense, it's another kind of quest for identity. Knowing who Lis was entails understanding her world, piecing together the lost story. A quest for APOLLO.

Aloy, like Lis, seems to be not only absurdly intelligent, but curious, and curiosity can be an immense drive. She probably would also see rebuilding GAIA as her personal responsibility.

Odyssey will almost certainly play a big part in the sequel. Maybe it failed, but not the way we think - maybe it stayed in stasis for what would be the duration of the trip, then it started doing its thing. New humans wake up, receive all the unfiltered knowledge about Earth (that probably would lead them to believe some really weird shit about what went down around here), find out they're still around the SS and go "we should go back to Earth, but lets, dunno, reset GAIA and get her to rebuild it in a way to avoid the shit that happened before".

They arrive and well, things aren't exactly like they thought they'd be. Not at all.

I'm not buying the Odyssey stuff, personally.

Last night, telemetry indicated a catastrophic antimatter containment failure as the drives spun up to depart the solar system. The ship, the crew, its cargo of zygotes and seeds, its alpha-build of APOLLO - all were lost.

That seems pretty definitive to me. Not a lot of wiggle-room. And Elisabet has no reason to lie about this. I think a more likely source of the signal that broke off HADES was something terrestrial, possibly linked with the strangers that came into Nora lands, took hostages, did unknown things causing "strange sounds", and then just left, all for seemingly no reason. That, to me, is suspicious as hell.

Wollan

So how did the corruption technically work? It was a swarm of nano machines...?
You can see the swarm consume plants & leaves (biomass) in one of the final cutscenes.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Fucking Faro. I dunno how or why they let that son of a bitch live!
He fucked the world damn near twice over.

I know the end so he may or may not have but still leaves me with questions as to how hades along with the faro plague survived when it was supposed to be eliminated completely.

Wollan

I'm glad the story steered away from 'angry hacker kills world meme' that seemed initially to play out with Travis. Similarly I also think any sequel should steer away from aliens entering the scene. A.I's, mega fauna robots & tribalism vs science is a cool focus to keep.

CrazyDude

I'm not buying the Odyssey stuff, personally.

That seems pretty definitive to me. Not a lot of wiggle-room. And Elisabet has no reason to lie about this. I think a more likely source of the signal that broke off HADES was something terrestrial, possibly linked with the strangers that came into Nora lands, took hostages, did unknown things causing "strange sounds", and then just left, all for seemingly no reason. That, to me, is suspicious as hell.

She has reason if she thinks telling them Odyssey failed in that it would create greater urgency to get Zero Dawn to work and finish.

These strangers would have as much knowledge of technology as the other tribes. I don't see how they magically learned how this stuff worked and how to hack the entire Zero Dawn system from nothing. Apollo was erased, so they could get the info from it.

Kalentan

Fucking Faro. I dunno how or why they let that son of a bitch live!
He fucked the world damn near twice over.

I know the end so he may or may not have but still leaves me with questions as to how hades along with the faro plague survived when it was supposed to be eliminated completely.

ZXoc.png

I'm trying to make this happen... also I couldn't find any closer images of him.

I'm glad the story steered away from 'angry hacker kills world meme' that seemed initially to play out with Travis. Similarly I also think any sequel should steer away from aliens entering the scene. A.I's, mega fauna robots & tribalism vs science is a cool focus to keep.

I liked also that it was a glitch. The robots didn't suddenly go: "Humanity must perish!!!" No, they just went into overdrive without rules and based on their programming sought biomass so they could continue to fuel on.

In fact I like that the first AI they create, Gaia, actually was a success for all intense and purpose and wanted to see Humanity come back. Hell, Hades was a success as well, probably even did as he was designed to a few times. Just you know, outside forces made that no longer the case. Not really anyone on Zero Dawn's fault.

All in all Fero is an maniac asshole.

First you fucking destroy Planet Earth

Then you destroy the backup plan.

Way the fuck to go. Time's person of the year.

All in all Fero is an maniac asshole.

First you fucking destroy Planet Earth

Then you destroy the backup plan.

Way the fuck to go. Time's person of the year.
The poor guy was trying to make amends by wiping Apollo. He truly thought he was doing a good thing. From his previous fuckup, he came to believe that knowledge itself was powerful and dangerous, especially without human wisdom to guide it. So he wiped Apollo, destroying the temptation of unguided knowledge. I hate him, but he is a bit tragic in that his idea to fix his mistakes were so off-the-mark from all the alphas.

The poor guy was trying to make amends by wiping Apollo. He truly thought he was doing a good thing. From his previous fuckup, he came to believe that knowledge itself was powerful and dangerous, especially without human wisdom to guide it. So he wiped Apollo, destroying the temptation of unguided knowledge. I hate him, but he is a bit tragic in that his idea to fix his mistakes were so off-the-mark from all the alphas.
Yeah poor guy... Fero was terrible before even all this happened. Not much pity I can spare for him.
Let's not forget he murdered all the other Alphas as well.

He seems to have a serious fatal flaw of not being able looking ahead and see the consequences of his own actions.

AngryMoth

I think if I was the guy who caused the robot apocalypse I'd have enough self awareness not to make those kind of executive decisions about Apollo, especially without consulting with anyone about it. The game really did a good job of making me hate him haha.

I think one of the most unbelievable parts of the story is they gave up so easily. Like, they don't seem to have even tried some possible solutions for beating the swarm, they just accepted that they were completely fucked after a few days. With the resources of project ZD maybe they could have built an army of even more powerful robots to fight for them or something. Or even just removed the glitch and make some upgrades to the existing model.

As for project ZD, the one part I found broke my suspension of disbelief was that Gaia was not only able to gestate and nurture new human life, but also all of the animals present in the world. Given how difficult the technical challenges artificially incubating humans were it doesn't seem feasible that were also able to figure all of it out and build facilities for a whole bunch of other species too in that timeframe.

Moneal

I dont believe his intentions were to prevent it happening again. They put the knowledge of it in apallo, along with the wisdom of how to prevent from happening again. I think he was trying to save his image. He thought apollo woulsd be the only surviving evidence of his failures. They spoke of apollo as the only way that knowledge could be sustained for the time it would take for GAIA to restart humanity. His name would still be passed on in the vaults and servitors, Faro was written on everything. Thats the way I took his actions.

Yeah poor guy... Fero was terrible before even all this happened. Not much pity I can spare for him.
Let's not forget he murdered all the other Alphas as well.

He seems to have a serious fatal flaw of not being able looking ahead and see the consequences of his own actions.
That's what makes him tragic in a messed up way, because no matter how much he tried to make things better he only made it worse. As far as he was concerned, he was looking ahead plenty when he wiped Apollo and killed the Alphas. To him, the consequences of those actions were a good thing---future kind wouldn't be corrupted by knowledge. He was "saving" humanity.

In fact I like that the first AI they create, Gaia, actually was a success for all intense and purpose and wanted to see Humanity come back. Hell, Hades was a success as well, probably even did as he was designed to a few times. Just you know, outside forces made that no longer the case. Not really anyone on Zero Dawn's fault.
There were AI before Gaia...kind of? Horus is described as a "high-speed learning machine network." So maybe not a complete AI, but a precursor? Just seems crazy if Gaia is their first AI, considering how advanced and kind-of amazing she is.

I dont believe his intentions were to prevent it happening again. They put the knowledge of it in apallo, along with the wisdom of how to prevent from happening again. I think he was trying to save his image. He thought apollo woulsd be the only surviving evidence of his failures. They spoke of apollo as the only way that knowledge could be sustained for the time it would take for GAIA to restart humanity. His name would still be passed on in the vaults and servitors, Faro was written on everything. Thats the way I took his actions.
His words to the alphas were"...I can't stop thinking about the ones who'll come after us. Those innocents. Those blameless men---and, women. We're going to give them knowledge? Like it's a gift?!" I think he genuinely went crazy on the topic. He was haunted by what had happened. This doesn't make him a better person, but I love the arc it takes him on.

I'll type the rest out...I really like it.

I can't stop thinking about the ones who'll come after us. Those innocents. Those blameless men---and, women. We're going to give them knowledge? Like it's a gift? It's not a gift. It's a disease! They're the cure, and we're going to give them the disease? Our disease?! No. We can't. And it's not too late...if we're willing to sacrifice.
He then goes on to state he already wiped it, and ends it with:
I'm sorry. Really. I am. But sometimes, to protect innocents...innocents have to die.
Now that shit is haunting and fucked up. I love it.

I think if I was the guy who caused the robot apocalypse I'd have enough self awareness not to make those kind of executive decisions about Apollo, especially without consulting with anyone about it. The game really did a good job of making me hate him haha.

I think one of the most unbelievable parts of the story is they gave up so easily. Like, they don't seem to have even tried some possible solutions for beating the swarm, they just accepted that they were completely fucked after a few days. With the resources of project ZD maybe they could have built an army of even more powerful robots to fight for them or something. Or even just removed the glitch and make some upgrades to the existing model.

As for project ZD, the one part I found broke my suspension of disbelief was that Gaia was not only able to gestate and nurture new human life, but also all of the animals present in the world. Given how difficult the technical challenges artificially incubating humans were it doesn't seem feasible that were also able to figure all of it out and build facilities for a whole bunch of other species too in that timeframe.

The Fero robots can take over other robots. That's why Fero ordered his company to start making human run military equipment. They couldn't remove the glitch because they were unhackable. No back door to enter the machines. Think they said it would take around 50 years to break the code and get in and fix the glitch. They only had months before the robots stripped Earth bare. That was one of GAIA's mission to fix.

@Vincent: That last line of his fucked me up. This game is a lot darker then what I thought I was gonna get out of it at first.

That's what makes him tragic in a messed up way, because no matter how much he tried to make things better he only made it worse. As far as he was concerned, he was looking ahead plenty when he wiped Apollo and killed the Alphas. To him, the consequences of those actions were a good thing---future kind wouldn't be corrupted by knowledge. He was "saving" humanity.

There were AI before Gaia...kind of? Horus is described as a "high-speed learning machine network." So maybe not a complete AI, but a precursor? Just seems crazy if Gaia is their first AI, considering how advanced and kind-of amazing she is.

His words to the alphas were"...I can't stop thinking about the ones who'll come after us. Those innocents. Those blameless men---and, women. We're going to give them knowledge? Like it's a gift?!" I think he genuinely went crazy on the topic. He was haunted by what had happened. This doesn't make him a better person, but I love the arc it takes him on.

I'll type the rest out...I really like it.

He then goes on to state he already wiped it, and ends it with:

Now that shit is haunting and fucked up. I love it.

*salutes*

AngryMoth

The Fero robots can take over other robots. That's why Fero ordered his company to start making human run military equipment. They couldn't remove the glitch because they were unhackable. No back door to enter the machines. Think they said it would take around 50 years to break the code and get in and fix the glitch. They only had months before the robots stripped Earth bare. That was one of GAIA's mission to fix.
Yeah but it's kind of a paradox if the robots are unhackable but can also hack anything. If they had the tech to make those things impossible to hack then surely they can make new robots that the old ones wouldn't be able to hack either.

Yeah but it's kind of a paradox if the robots are unhackable but can also hack anything. If they had the tech to make those things impossible to hack then surely they can make new robots that the old ones wouldn't be able to hack either.
I'm about to conjecture a bit....but I think you're right. However, their only means of producing these new machines would be through their other machines that were already hacked. The Horus, which I think is simply a cauldron, was mostly responsible for manufacturing new machines at that point. And since it was a Faro design, we could assume any existing Faro Horus units were corrupted. Therefore, the humans would probably have to build completely brand new factories or cauldrons capable of building machines that could stand a fight against the old machines. By that time, who knows how much time would pass and if they could compete. I do wish, as detailed as this game is, that it would have detailed Elizabet's thought process more between Ted showing her the information, and the next hologram with her discussing Zero Dawn with Ted. Just one extra little hologram of the between, when she is off by herself researching the glitch, would have done wonders if we could hear her thought process as to why humanity was screwed.

There might be more to it that I don't remember tbh.

This is my opinion. I think it wouldn't really matter if they could or not. Because in the end the glitched machines would still keep eating away at earth and multiplying. They wouldn't be able to keep up.

I mentioned it in the non-spoiler thread, but I just have to say how amazing the voice acting in the data recordings are. I haven't played a game in a very long time where I actually enjoyed going through the logs, for various reasons.

Moneal

The swarm was unkillable with other robots, because the corruptors were perfect hackers. You can see they had zero problem hacking GAIA's machines. They would have had to wipe out the swarm all in one fast move, like nuke the whole planet, because the self replicate exponentialy. Thats not a win unless they could supply 200 to 300 years or more of food and water and breathable air underground. It was explained that hacking the swarm would take like 150 years. You couldn't fix the glitch till then, and the swarm would wipe out humanity in 16 months. They just didnt have the time for other solutions.

Moneal

They would be making a new swarm not knowing if it would glitch later as well. Don't think I would want to try that.

For me, the problem wasn't that humanity 'gave up.' The game did what I think was a fine job explaining how overwhelming the machines were. What I thought was unrealistic was how quickly the US (and presumably other world governments) managed a cohesive and organised response.

In real life, I suspect nations and governments would have been paralyzed with arguments and indecision for a longer period of time. Or, given present circumstances, would have just tweeted about it.

Just finished it, they told a way better and smarter story then I expected. The reveals in this game hit pretty damn hard and fuck Sylens, I knew that asshole was fishy.

BTW that scene where Aloy finds Dr. Sobeck at her house was probably my favorite of the game, so many things like that were so well done. It's clear Sony has a franchise on their hands and a great character to take the reins in Aloy.

I'll probably write more about the game later, I've just finished. Just wanted to say that I really liked the epilogue with Aloy finding Elizabeth, really powerfull scene. Also, intriguing post credits scene, so Hades didn't died and Sylens its digging deeper. Can't wait for the sequel!

One minor doubt: I understand why Gaia built machines with resemblance to fauna and megafauna but why give them weapons? I missed that.

CrazyDude

For me, the problem wasn't that humanity 'gave up.' The game did what I think was a fine job explaining how overwhelming the machines were. What I thought was unrealistic was how quickly the US (and presumably other world governments) managed a cohesive and organised response.

In real life, I suspect nations and governments would have been paralyzed with arguments and indecision for a longer period of time. Or, given present circumstances, would have just tweeted about it.
I doubt they would be paralyzed. The president or the military wouldn't wait for the rest of the government to sort out legal stuff. Most likely the President took up dictatorial powers in the emergency or the military took control of the government.

Now that I think about it, I think the Joint Chief's of Staff to control of the government. The meeting the general and Elizabeth had didn't have the President present, which make me think that he is no longer in a position of power.

So Sylens did all that, guided Aloy to get her to release Hades? He probably knew the spear wouldn't destroy him, and he wasn't able to get into the places Aloy was able to so he used her throughout most of the game.

Does anyone else want either DLC or hell, maybe even a novel about Rost going after the twelve outlanders?

I'd take DLC for that for sure

Top Bottom