• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hostage situation at a church near Rouen in northern France (Update: it's over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitheor

BBC

Reuters

Two men armed with knives took several people hostage in a church in a town in France's northern Normandy region on Tuesday, a police source said.

The source said between four and six people were being held by the assailants in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray.

Wow thats near me.

Any maniac will try to have their 5minutes of prime time now smh I blame media for fear mongering to the death these events

Madchad

Hope everyone gets out ok.

As for all the crap that has been going down these last few weeks how nothing has happened in the UK is beyond me. Ok we have had that attempted kidnapping but apart from that nothing. Either they have not started or the security services are doing an ace job.

Tenebrous

As for all the crap that has been going down these last few weeks how nothing has happened in the UK is beyond me. Ok we have had that attempted kidnapping but apart from that nothing. E

Our intel. services must be doing an incredible job.

dc89

As for all the crap that has been going down these last few weeks how nothing has happened in the UK is beyond me. Ok we have had that attempted kidnapping but apart from that nothing. Either they have not started or the security services are doing an ace job.

They must be. I also think we benefit from being an island and also our communities are much more integrated than ones in Europe which have seen attacks.

brian577

Banned
If he feels that way, he feels that way. It's not crazy to feel like that after a solid period of attacks.

Saying nothing lets him feed into his own fear and paranoia. But we're getting off topic, hope every gets out OK, thank god there are no guns involved this time.

Kurtofan

Can we refrain from the hyperbole please? Every incident always has to have that one guy.

you know what's hyperbolic? two attacks like this in less than two weeks.

Church goers are mostly old people so you can imagine we're looking at a huge body count

hodgy100

Can we refrain from the hyperbole please? Every incident always has to have that one guy.

I'm sorry but pretending that tensions aren't rising is contributing to the problem and part of preventing us from dealing with the issue.

https://medium.com/@theonlytoby/his...ext-with-brexit-trump-a3fefd154714#.kp52kkb8f

the incidents aren't in complete isolation and they all influence each other and all people. shits hitting the fan and the world's countries are appealing to the far right to alleviate it, which won't end well.

I guess this it how it feels to have terror every other day of the week, it's "shocking" for us. But think about this people have had to face things like this for nearly a decade because of stupid decisions, anyways I digress. I hope this blows over and those people are safe. Let's hope it's not another IS inspired attack. Dark times ahead.

thuway

Unforunately this cycle of telecasting tragedy is motivating would be criminals to go out and spark their insanity onto the masses. I wish the media would use discretion before publicizing such events.

I guess this it how it feels to have terror every other day of the week, it's "shocking" for us. But think about this people have had to face things like this for nearly a decade because of stupid decisions, anyways I digress. I hope this blows over and those people are safe. Let's hope it's not another IS inspired attack. Dark times ahead.

When I lived in Karachi during the last 6 years - every other day the news would report someone being killed, the government shutting down, terrorists bombings, and city wide political threats that closed all businesses. My first year there I thought this has to be insanity and the people here must be suffering- only to realize that people had become accustomed and non flinching towards the pathos around them.

It almost became a really sick joke when people who were tired or didn't want to go to work/school would slyly remark how they wished some sort of tragedy would happen so we could all stay in doors.

I know it's selfish, but my wife works up London and I'm just glad nothing major has happened here. Although it's probably only a matter of time, with all the Brexit shit and its fallout still fresh.

Auctopus

Seems it's over...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36892785

Two armed men who took hostages at a church near Rouen in northern France are now dead, police sources have said.

The hostage-takers were reported to have been holding between four and six people at the church in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray.

A priest and two sisters, as well as churchgoers, were among those held, local media said.

France 3 television said a number of shots had been heard. Police and the emergency services are at the scene.

FFS. I hope there aren't more victims.

I truly miss when July was so boring all we got on the news were dumb stories about farmers and their three legged chicken and that kind of stuff.

I'm starting to grow numb honestly.

Kathian

Banned
Seriously it was a joke at first but this is the worst fucking year.

Something underlying is increasing unrest and it's very disconcerting.

I'm sorry but pretending that tensions aren't rising is contributing to the problem and part of preventing us from dealing with the issue.

https://medium.com/@theonlytoby/his...ext-with-brexit-trump-a3fefd154714#.kp52kkb8f

the incidents aren't in complete isolation and they all influence each other and all people. shits hitting the fan and the world's countries are appealing to the far right to alleviate it, which won't end well.

Yeah no, this argument falls apart when looking at entire continents in the world. The me and Africa has been suffering through turbulent times for decades now, yet it operates to a large fashion, unimpeded by total destruction. Yes the author mentions them but I fell to simply state, look it happened before, it'll happen again! Without taking into effect the wider far reaching effects of the regions.

The points the acticle makes are totally fair, reasonable and deserving of a read, however his/her regurgitation of history does not take into the technological progress of us as a species since ww2. Collateral damage prevention, which had fanned the flames of hate an violennce into the past, and security effectiveness has increased massively in the past few decades.

SJRB

Gold Member
Apparantly the priest was beheaded, but I'm looking for confirmed sources other than twitter.

justjohn

Yes let's all stick our heads in the sand and pretend things are normal in Europe. This is just a normal occurrence folks, nothing to see here, just a priest getting his throat slit. Could've happened to anyone.
Funny thing is, posters like you will see the far right rising in Europe and wonder why they're becoming so popular since everything is normal.

justjohn

Yeah no, this argument falls apart when looking at entire continents in the world. The me and Africa has been suffering through turbulent times for decades now, yet it operates to a large fashion, unimpeded by total destruction. Yes the author mentions them but I fell to simply state, look it happened before, it'll happen again! Without taking into effect the wider far reaching effects of the regions.

The points the acticle makes are totally fair, reasonable and deserving of a read, however his/her regurgitation of history does not take into the technological progress of us as a species since ww2. Collateral damage prevention, which had fanned the flames of hate an violennce into the past, and security effectiveness has increased massively in the past few decades.
You mean the same Africa where tens of thousands are now dying in the Mediterranean trying to flee terrorism and civil war?

daxy

Yes let's all stick our heads in the sand and pretend things are normal in Europe. This is just a normal occurrence folks, nothing to see here, just a priest getting his throat slit. Could've happened to anyone.
Funny thing is, posters like you will see the far right rising in Europe and wonder why they're becoming so popular since everything is normal.

Now you're just being part of the problem. No details have been given yet, either about the identity of the perpetrators or motive, and you're already expecting this to be motivated along the same lines as others (rise of the far right, their platform is 'the immigrants dun it, protecting European values [Muslim xenophobia]').

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom