• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot chocolate/cocoa with milk or water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using it all with whole Milk would usually bother my stomach. A mixture of both is still pretty good. Might have to try some other Milk types.

I also find whole milk to be too rich so I add just a little bit (a quarter or less) of milk to hot chocolate mixes and for me that's the best ratio. But Depending on the quality of the cocoa I'm using I may up the ratio to 1/2.

I just always used water but it's never any fancy hot chocolate just the little packets. A lot of churches and stuff I went to back when I was younger used water. When I do have hot chocolate I only use water cause i find I can use milk for better stuff like cereal rather than wasting it on something I can hardly tell the difference for. Just some powder and water with marshmallows.

Spwn

I associate cocoa in hot water with camping. It's actually pretty good, but you have to use more powder than you would with milk.

squidyj

most of the time it's milk

I've had the occasional mix that was too rich with milk and I needed to cut back to water

StoneFox

I never had it with milk, this is new to me.

Maybe that's why hot chocolate tastes different when I get it at restaurants.

Milk, Jesus. Fucking cavemen in here.

Edit, I suppose it depends if you're using actual cocoa, or sachets of 'hot chocolate'. Cos those usually have powdered milk in them.

StayDead

Some of the stuff in the UK says to make it with water, some says it to make it with milk.

I personally do either depending on how impatient I am.

Nikodemos

If it's whole "hot chocolate" powder, then water. It already contains powdered milk (the fancy ones) or a milk-like dried substance made from whatever (the mass market ones).

If making hot cocoa from cacao powder or dark chocolate nibs, milk; always milk, frothing hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom