• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Bad Is Your Souls Withdrawal?

TrutaS

Nioh helped, but to be honest Souls 3 didn’t feel as good. Bring on Bloodborne 2 or another setting with that formula please.

I can't really play anything properly now since DS/BB even Nioh.

Currently on Horizon and it's ok, but not really getting the hype, nearly every npc interaction is janky and ropey voice acting. Somehow I'm 10 levels higher than the main quest as well.

Hopefully Monster Hunter will scratch the itch in January.

I still need to finish Demon's Souls (I got about halfway through and got side tracked by Dark Souls 3).

Still haven't touched so DS2 Scholar (but played a lot of vanilla DS2, mainly because the PVP and build variety was awesome, not because the game was).

Been playing too much Overwatch and Dragon Quest 7 and some retrogaming. A break is OK from Souls for a bit.

I am actually happy they are taking some time to make a new game, I would be ok with another two year of nothing if that means the next FromSoft game is gonna be as good as Dark Souls, which is a timeless masterpiece. Hell, I would wait 10 years just to have something as good as the first Dark Souls.

Dark Souls 2 and 3 are just mediocre, Souls games have been stale ever since Dark Souls, Bloodborne is really the only exception.

Take your time Miyazaki, make your next game as mindblowing as possible. I will be waiting, may the sun be with you forever.

CHC

I still haven't played the Dark Souls III DLC, for some reason, but nevertheless I really want something from From.

What I miss though isn't Souls itself, per se.... It's more that feeling of newness and discovery. I had it with Demon's Souls, I had it with Dark Souls, I had it with Bloodborne. Not so much with DSII and III.

I want that feeling of being overwhelmed again - learning new mechanics as I go and discovering things that leave me with no clue what they fuck they're all about. I remember how insane it was just trying to piece together the humanity system in Dark Souls I (though it seems simple in hindsight), or getting cursed by the basilisks and stuck in Blight Town with 50% health.

It'll be great to see what's next from them - I hope it's something really new and fresh, and that it feels and dense and intimidating as Souls did at first.

iddqd

I'm doing fine. The Ringed City made me realize I'm ready for something brand new from the studio. Dark Souls can take a long, long break.

Same, I played Bloodborne for the first time in the last two weeks and I was not impressed due to investing a lot of time into all the other Souls games.
(Wish I'd bought a PS4 sooner, BEFORE DS3)

It's become a game of "ah, this is this versions Swamp/This type of enemy/ Item.

Mr Git

I'm doing aight. I played the Ringed City at my brother's in Japan and still haven't bought it here to finish on my account. Still haven't played DS2 Scholar either but put plenty into the vanilla. Still playing Bloodborne but generally it's nice to have a decent break. It's easily my favourite series and I don't want to burn out on it.

butman

Fortunately I still have to play Dark Souls 3 and obviously the following will be replaying Demons's Souls on my PC in 4K

Davey Cakes

I'll probably be done with Souls until next year, once I'm satisfied with my complete rate of DS2.

It's exciting to know that DS3 will be there waiting for me at some point in the future. The key to these kinds of games seems to be allowing a decent amount of time in between each. I gave myself a solid break between DS1 and DS2 and it helped.

I know people LOVE these games but shit, we're talking 100+ hour experiences. Burnout seems inevitable.

solomon

I have a buddy who's really been feeling it lately, he played FF14 to end the game and still didn't fill his void, currently seems like Monster Hunter world is his next best bet (but he really likes MH already).

Nameless

I haven't been too far from a Souls game or Souls like since this generation began, but I'd still give a polar bear's left nut for Miyazaki to bless us with a new one.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If you put speedrunning aside and just think about playing these games. I feel like I've memorized and enjoyed the worlds, like a Terry Pratchett or Tolkien book (I'm not making any comparisons here). I feel like I have really enjoyed these games since the very first game. I've memorized how to get from one area to the next. If I go back to another Souls game then I'm going to want to memorize the level design and what happens after each corner.

If you think about it, there's 5 games that have this creative genius. The best part is I can still play one of them and have it be its own unique experience. If I had this every 2-3 years then I'd probably be a lot more burned out. Eventually I'd forget about an older entry and I'd get burned out.

Remember playing the original Assassin's Creed? I got it on launch with the little statue of Altier. I can't tell you the 2nd mission objective nor do I care to remember. There's been so many AC's and now Origins has to replenish my pallet for the genre with new mechanics. I don't want to feel that exact same way. Souls games don't need to be excessive because eventually it'll take the joy away if you ask me.

Top Bottom