• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you get into videogames?

Alebrije

My dad gave me an Atari 2600 on Christmas, funny thing I did not know about it or videogames and was expecting some Star Wars toys. Was a big surprise.

Huh, I always took you for someone bit older than that =) Didn't realize you only started gaming with PS1.

ITT: Dads and uncles rock!
Ha, yup, only 25

And yeah, dads rock. We used to play a ton of Bloody Roar, Twisted Metal, and Vigilante 8. Nowadays control schemes are way too complicated for him, can't do the whole "simultaneous analog sticks for movement and camera + shoulder buttons"

Fbh

I played some games here and there when I was a kid (friends house, some basic stuff on the PC, etc).

But it was probably my Gameboy color and Pokemon yellow (and then later the Ps1) that really got me into games

My dad got me a Sega Mega Drive with Sonic when I was either 5 or 6. I didn't know anything about games back then.

Bless my uncle, he bought me Aladdin and The Flintstones.

I played a few arcades on holiday and the occasional game on computers at older cousins etc. Then one Christmas my sister and I got a surprise Commodore 64 and that was it. Going strong now for 30 years, though I'm not as keen as I used to be.

Kinhow

My father won a NES clone on a contest at his job (it was a console named Phantom System, made by Dynavision).
It came with ghostbusters and super mario bros. I was 3 or 4 years old I guess... And I used to watch my mother and him playing the shit out of it and I wanted to play so badly!
When I began playing it, I just loved it! And I still do love playing videogames.

Leezard

As a kid I was really interested in magic from TV shows, and I saw an ad in a magazine for super Mario allstars for snes where Mario was a stage magician. I saved up money for it and bought it + a snes for myself.

splattered

Step father had an ancient console when I was maybe 5? But he never played it so I didn't really understand what it was. Later as a young child I won a super mario/duck hunt bundle NES system as a Halloween raffle prize. All down hill from there :p

Tunoku

Dad had an NES and showed me Super Mario Bros. 3 and TMNT II. But I truly got into video games once I had a Game Boy and Pokémon.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
My dad bought an Atari 5200 when I was very young. Played some on that, but games were limited as the button on the controller stopped working.

Got hooked on Super Mario Bros on NES at a friend's house a few years later and we eventually got one and the rest was history. Played a lot of NES games, and then SNES (which was middle school and part of high school for me) is when I really super got into gaming.

Cyrus_Saren

My older half sister had an SNES but refused to let me play so I used to just watch. Eventually, I started sneaking into her room when she was at school and play Super Mario World.

Wamb0wneD

With my bricklike gray gameboy and Tetris/Links Awakening when i was 7. A little more than a year later Pokemon Red came along and i was a lost cause. At home i sometimes played Age of Empires 1 and a bit later Tomb Raider 1 on the windows 95 pc my mother had.

The moment i first played Warcraft 3 was another moment in my gaming life that made it my favourite hobby til today.

Budi

Ha, yup, only 25

And yeah, dads rock. We used to play a ton of Bloody Roar, Twisted Metal, and Vigilante 8. Nowadays control schemes are way too complicated for him, can't do the whole "simultaneous analog sticks for movement and camera + shoulder buttons"

Yeah it's bit of a shame really. My mom loved Tetris, Side Pocket and Bubble Bobble on NES. She still plays Facebook games on her laptop but I'd love to introduce her back to more "traditional" gaming too. NES Classic would been otherwise great but it only had Bubble Bobble from the games she would play, having it discontinued doesnt' help either though.

My older sisters wanted Nintendo for Christmas in like 1990 (maybe 89?), and my parents got it for us. I was 4 or 5 whenever we got it and wouldn't have known much about videogames. I wasn't independently into videogames for a few more years, when I asked for a Genesis for Christmas whatever year that was.

My dad also had this handheld, two color "basketball" game that was terrible and never made sense to me but I always tried to figure it out. It used red blocks to indicate players and there was a painted on basketball hoop on the display... I think you had a pass and shoot button, but it didn't make any sense.

Here it is:

xd4xKhgl.png

I remember trying to figure this out as a youth but to no avail.

It was either being allowed to play the arcade games in the department stores my family visited or my dad getting an Atari 2600.

Fou-Lu

My parents and older brother were already into video games before I was even born. When I was young -before a lot of bad things happened and made life complicated- video games were the main family activity. I can't say the exact moment I started playing properly myself, but I can remember having a controller in my hands as a two year old.

My mom and my older brother were really into RPGs so they taught me to read and to understand numbers way before kindergarten so I could play too. In my brother's case this included getting me into real world games like D&D and Magic the Gathering before most kids could form coherent sentences. Basically what I am getting at is gaming made up the formative years of my life. I tried to do the same for my younger brothers even though life wasn't as simple.

I can remember that the first game I completed was either Breath of Fire 2 or Shining Force 2. In the case of BoF2 I had been playing with my mom and ended up beating the last boss while she was making dinner, I didn't know it was the end but it made her a little sad :p. Shining Force 2 my mom and dad had to help me with quite a few of the battles, especially the final one which has a pretty big difficulty spike.

jacobeid

Banned
I got a JVC X'eye (Sega Genesis+CD in one) and an original Gameboy when I was 4 years old. The rest is history.

As an only child, my parents and I would always eat dinner together and then my mom would go read for the rest of the night, my dad would either work, play guitar, or go to a gig, and I would be left to my own devices to entertain myself when the neighbors weren't around. I spent most of my alone time playing games, reading, and playing music.

Oddly enough nothing has changed 20+ years later. I still read a lot, game a lot, and play music a lot :)

Fireblend

Banned
I feel like the second I knew about video games, I was into them to be honest :p

My first console was the N64 but my first extended exposure to them was a NES my cousin owned.

I was about three when our family got a NES with the Mario/Duck Hunt combo. My first game I ever played and have loved videogames since.

Around 4 or 5. Close neighbors next door had a Super Nintendo that we would always play. One of the earliest games I remember playing was Ninja Turtles Tournament fighters. Probably why I like Fighting Games so much today tbh. I was next door pretty much everyday.

Then they got MGS1 and the Playstation. After I watched them play that for a couple hours(wouldnt let me play since I was too young) I went home and begged my parents for a PS1. Ended up getting an N64, Smash and Donkey Kong 64 instead. I wasnt complaining too much though lol

Epcott

The first time I played an Odyssey over my brother's wealthy friend's house, I became hooked. I guess I was 5 years old.

emalord

There was this arcade game called Space Invaders and...
EDIT: at that time I was 5 or 6 must have been around 1975-1976... Maybe slightly later

Tsunamo

I can't recall too much if this was how I got into them, but this is my earliest memory. My cousin was playing his Gameboy and let me have a try of the racing game he was playing and I ended up messing around with it for most of that day.

Still don't have a clue what game it was though.

ShadyK54

When I was 3 or 4 maybe? I can remember being with my dad at his/my grandmas house before my parents were married, and watching him play Goldeneye. He even beat the campaign!

When I could understand how to hold the controller, it just took off from there to the PS1 & WWF Smackdown, and so on.

george_us

One of the teachers at my daycare brought in a NES with Super Mario one day when I was 4. After that I begged my dad for one for Christmas. From then on it's been a 28-year obsession. :)

kogasu

It's difficult to pinpoint exactly for me. They've just kinda always been around. My family had an NES when I was incredibly young to the point I barely remember anything about owning one and then we got a SNES around the time the N64 was already out. It goes on and on after that. I just always loved video games and thought they were the coolest things ever lol!

However I CAN pinpoint and say I was about 11 or 12 when I started getting interested in the industry and the devs and other stuff that went into making video games.

When we moved to California from the East Coast, we stayed with some extended family at first. I wandered into the yard with my prized possession - an army man that you could turn on and he would crawl forward with a gun in-hand - to play in the grass and dirt. However, the sound of this little army dude was driving the next-door neighbor's dog nuts, and he was angrily peering at my little battlefield through a hole in the fence. Eventually, he busted through and I freaked out, abandoning the army guy.

Later, after the commotion died down about the broken fence, the remains of my toy were returned to me. He was torn to shreds, and I was devastated. However, to cheer me up, my family sat my sister and I down in a room at our new home - in front of a CRT TV. With a Nintendo Entertainment System.

They booted up Super Mario Bros, and while my sister was a bit too young to understand what was happening on screen, my mind was blown ( I was about 5). I was in control of a cartoon character. That started it all for me.

Joezie

My parents had a booth at a Flea market when I was young. Guy down the isle was demoing 50 games on an NES and I played it whenever he let me and if no one else was around.

From there I went on to get a genesis later and with each gen managed to get one console...even if it was fairly later than I'd like. (PS1 in 2000, Xbox in 2005).

No need to get into videogames. The moment I saw my first videogame, it practically got into me. I absorbed it. It was the only thing I wanted for a very long time.

It was from a guest that visited us. He's had a GameBoy with Metal Gear with him. The only reason I know what game it was, is due to the box hiding mechanic. Many years would pass until I was able to identify that game, since I didn't even know how to spell Metal Gear back then. I was five.

Lux R7

i played Alley Cat on pc, then a friend bought a nes, then my parents did buy me a nes and now i'm here.

Canucked

My sister had a mini pac-man game, looked alike a little table to arcade box. Then she got an NES which I ended up playing more than her.

What pushed me over the edge was free Dragon Warrior with Nintendo Power. It was my first game just for me, but I didn't finish it until years later.

Megaman 2 was my most played NES game for sure.

woopWOOP

Saw my cousin's NES when I was 4 or 5 or so. Had a bunch of Mario and Mega Man games and that first TMNT game.
According to my parents I was completely hypnotised by it
Parents gave my brother and me both a "Family-NES" not long after.
Been hooked since.

Altho we only bought like 4 games for the NES ourselves, our neighbours at that time had a "370-in-1" bootleg cartridge which still had about 60 original Japan-only games on it. I enjoyed a great variety of games because of them

antitrop

I was born in 1985 and my parents bought an NES shortly after. I've been playing games since I was old enough to hold a controller.

PillarEN

I don't know. Before I was old enough to comprehend, there was a Gameboy and Super Nintendo at our home. My dad was young enough to get it for himself and eventually I took over and he lost all interest.

Top Bottom