• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about Penny Arcade?

I love Penny Arcade. I actually remember some of the funny stuff Tycho has written as well as any of the comics. Here a couple of my favorite strips:

215548036_adCoX-1050x10000.jpg

215510077_nzfG7-1050x10000.jpg

My favorite Penny Arcades are the ones that start out with them doing some fucked up activity while having a normal conversation about video games

215497914_Q4CSY-1050x10000.jpg

My favorite Penny Arcades are the ones that start out with them doing some fucked up activity while having a normal conversation about video games

That's always been one of my favorite ongoing jokes too. It's like Gabe just got sick of drawing talking heads on a couch and decided to draw them talking in other scenes instead... And then said scenes just got more and more out of control, haha.

Also, I think his art is better now than ever.

I don't understand people who think the art is worse now. The style is obviously different but that's not the same thing. Gabe was really in a creative rut or lazy/bored or whatever you want to call it for a long time. Katie from Strip Search really inspired him to get back into drawing with heart/passion and it truly shows. Like he was never sketching for fun or pleasure before, which shows just how much his talents were focused entirely on production for work and not experimentation or self-satisfaction/creativity.

Javier

I don't mind the new art much. It certainly is very expressive and shows that Mike is very skilled with a pencil. What I don't like is the recent trend of drawing squirrel buckteeth and freckles on Gabe, which looks really weird, specially in contrast to Tycho who still looks mostly like he used to.

Here's another of my favorite strips.

They're often funny. Much less now than in prior years. I'll never understand people becoming outraged over comedians being offensive. If you don't like someone's comedy, then feel free to critic it and and find something else to laugh at. Becoming stubbornly indignant and routinely going out of your way to tell the world how horribly offensive a comedian's jokes are comes off as a little over-sensitive.

terrisus

Haven't really read it with any sort of regularity in a good dozen years.

I also have no clue how all these conferences happen and what exactly the deal with those are. I haven't a clue about them.

Mike learned to draw while Jerry learned to put words that don't go together in the same sentence. It's weird that they seem to sour as the 360 was displacing the PS2/3.

I still look at all the cartoons. Sometimes, I look at Jerry's column, mostly in vain search of what prompted a particular cartoon.

They used to be a webcomic. These days they are an alternative media outlet. They output all sorts of thing. PAX for example. They are more relevant than ever, just not to me. To me they are like some dear relatives that haven't aged so well.

Monocle

The one thing I had to say was that the art got noticeably worse since the time I read the strip regularly a few years back, but the OP covered that pretty well. Gabe looks truly gross now.

Actually I'll say one more thing. PA was generally well written and consistently funny, and that's why I liked it. I'm not sure if that's changed in recent years. I probably won't pick it up again because the art turns me off so much.

Top Bottom