• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Many "Trump Free" Days Have You Had So Far?

There is a period of time between when I wake up, and when I remember that Trump is President.

That moment lasts anywhere from a couple of seconds to -if I’m lucky, about 3 to 4 and half minutes.

Then it comes. The realization that Trump is President.

The feeling isn’t gradual but rather abrupt.

It feels like walking down the street then out of no where someone throws a hairless cat at you. You reflexively catch the cat in your arms and when the feline comes in contact with your body you instantly realize that the cat is freezing cold and inexplicably covered in a thick oil.

You try to push to the cat away from your body, but somehow the cat thinks you are it’s mother so it fights to stay in your arms until you eventually give up and spend the rest of your day carrying this weird animal around.

That’s exactly how it feels every morning when I remember that Donald Trump is President of the United States.

Somedays I try to avoid thinking about it, but then I’ll see something on social media. So, I’ll avoid social media. Then I’ll see a headline about him on a website. So, I try to avoid the internet, then I’ll see his face on the TV in an airport or a waiting room. So, I cut back on TV and the internet, and focus more on human interaction. Then when I talk to friends the conversation almost always inevitably turns towards the crazy thing that Trump has done today.

I feel like I’ve been carrying this cat around for the past 261 days.

So, how many “Trump free” days have you had so far? How have you been able to achieved it?

And is it possible to still be a part of the “resistance “ while going out of you way to avoid politics/current events?

-Or is it our responsibility as citizens to be as informed as possible even if it means taking a slight hit on our collective sanity?

zbarron

It depends on when I browse Off Topic.

I've definitely had a couple busy days where my full attention is on my immediate surroundings.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Zero

I've never hated any living human being as much and he's been constantly weighing on my mind since the primaries.

HylianTom

Banned
When Breath of the Wild came out on March 3rd, I spent two weeks off from work, wandering around the ruins of Hyrule. I was online for less than 20 minutes per day during that time period, mostly to check-in with friends/family. Zero TV. Zero radio.

It was an amazing vacation. It would not be an exaggeration to say that the experience, the departure from the real world was mentally and emotionally reparative.

zeitgeist

Definitely zero and while I'm not American, it crushes me every single day.

To be fair I am often looking for the latest news about him hopefully getting jettisoned into the sun so it's my own fault.

RPGCrazied

He has definitely cut into my video game time.

I can be glued to the news for hours when he does or says something awful, when I normally would be gaming.

I just want it to be over already.

If I'm lucky, I'm busy with dissertation stuff or site management and so it slips my mind a couple days.

Only a couple though, because then the dude is tweeting.

psyfi

Banned
I've been feeling that way about American imperialism for at least fifteen years. It's not just Trump, it's America.

Problem is every day Trump makes knows he can't just sit in the oval office and be quiet I think if he sees a slow news day without him being mentioned he fires off a tweet

Loxley

As long as I keep reading this forum there won't be any Trump free days.

Unfortunately this. I can go all day without reading/watching the news, but GAF is my internet drug - so not hearing about Trump is next to impossible. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Thankfully video games exist for me to take my mind off the world for a few hours every night.

DonShula

Zero.

The fucker randomly appears in my Start Menu tiles at work. Between, that, GAF, and my cable news consumption, I can't go an hour without encountering his impotence in some way.

riotous

Banned
Maybe a dozen or so.. I often spend entire weekends offline and out and about. I try not to sit on my phone refreshing news/forums or anything like that during that time.

edit: All ya'll saying zero should unplug every once in a while.. I need to do it more myself.. but literally 0 days spent disconnected would drive me nuts.

None.

He's always fucking up, and when he goes a few days without fucking up I feel like most people are catching up still and discussing his last fuck up.

Az

His inauguration week. Daughter was in the hospital and I just couldn't put up with that shit too

G0523

I'm sure there have been a couple days. Right now it's very hard to remember. It's getting increasingly difficult not to hear, read, or see him since he's literally everywhere. It's driving many people (myself included) absolutely crazy and completely filled with anxiety. I am strongly anticipating for the day when he's not the President anymore because hopefully--HOPEFULLY--then we don't have to hear about him anymore. It feels like that day will never come but we have to keep looking forward to the end, right? The pain will end and our suffering will be no more. It just has to.

rjinaz

I've had a few, but really I hate to miss out on the things Trumps is doing to my country. I like to be informed.

But the mind can only take so much before it tires of it and you need a break.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
None.

What's even worse is that I used to be a news junky. But now the only thing they cover is Trump. I have no idea what's going on in the rest of the world. I try listening to NPR on the way to work. But it just puts me to sleep.

ErMerGerd

Neo Member
When Breath of the Wild came out on March 3rd, I spent two weeks off from work, wandering around the ruins of Hyrule. I was online for less than 20 minutes per day during that time period, mostly to check-in with friends/family. Zero TV. Zero radio.

It was an amazing vacation. It would not be an exaggeration to say that the experience, the departure from the real world was mentally and emotionally reparative.
Make this Horizon ZD for me and it was the same. A really immersive, enjoyable game does a lot for me.

zero_suit

Zero.

It's a nightmare that I can't wake up from. Thank god the GOP is inept and cannot pass any destructive legislation.

Foffy

Banned
Maybe three.

Days where I was so busy with things even time lost continuity.

Maybe that's the hint: we gotta escape time.

I've had zero.

My wife has had a few...mostly because she told me to stop talking about politics in our home. :(

I can't help but wonder if people who do have extended Trump free days are still in the bargaining phase considering how nonstop the news are about this white house admin.

LordKasual

Banned
Every fucking day?

this man is a serious source of anxiety for many of you, isn't it? God damn

He's a dumbass but hating his guts until its the first thing on your mind in the morning isn't very healthy, doesn't make him less of a dumbass, and doesn't make your life any easier

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Same. It was at a point where I really needed to lose myself in something for a little while.

psyfi

Banned
Every fucking day?

He's a dumbass but hating his guts until its the first thing on your mind in the morning isn't very healthy, doesn't make him less of a dumbass, and doesn't make your life any easier
It's hard not to think about it when he's trying to kill you and your friends

Every fucking day?

Say that to an LGBT person's face

I can't.

My phone gives me CNN and local news alerts and that piece of shit Tweets every few hours.

I'm AFRAID to go off the radar - who the hell knows what I'll come back to.

Top Bottom