• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much more powerful is the Switch vs Wii U?

How much would have Nintendo had to lose for the power to be equal to the Xbox One is what I'm wondering. I always thought that was a bit of a mistake but it does seem to be working out for them anyways.

In the form factor/hybrid design they chose it would have been impossible. Short of some sort of hardware in the doc itself anyway.

Had they gone with a pascal tegra it wouldnt have been that far off but probably would have priced it out if the market

Zedark

Had they gone with a pascal tegra it wouldnt have been that far off but probably would have priced it out if the market
That would've netted about 40% extra performance at the same power level, which still is a ways off from XB1. Would've been more expensive too, indeed.

marmoka

Banned
Wii U only can run Mario Kart 8 at 720p and 59fps. Is not strong enough to run UE4 games.

Switch can run Mario Kart 8 at 1080p and 60fps. It has UE4 support.

This is a huge increasement in performance. Consider Switch between Xone and Wii U, perhaps closer to Wii U than Xone, but not far from the middle.

z0m3le

Banned
Just with Zelda, we can tell it's a lot more powerful when undocked, you have the same resolution as the wii u, but almost always locked frame rate, where wii u is constantly dropping, this was a game built on the wii u and ported to the Switch in less than a year according to their GDC talk this year.

It's anywhere from 1.5x to 2x faster as a handheld and twice that when docked, this is not getting into mixed precision which could get pretty close to current gen consoles when docked when everything is taken into account.

The real port problem with the switch is that the cpu clock is too low, it's much faster than wii u's cpu, but it's only giving about 50% of what devs on the ps4 have for instance.

For anyone looking for a comparison with Xbox 1, when undocked, it is 20% to 35% of xb1's performance and double that when docked, of course the higher the range, the more mixed precision is being utilized. Switch would have been closer with pascal, but it isn't much closer, something like 25% to 40% when undocked and double that when docked.

Wii U only can run Mario Kart 8 at 720p and 59fps. Is not strong enough to run UE4 games.

This is a huge increasement in performance. Consider Switch between Xone and Wii U, perhaps closer to Wii U than Xone, but not far from the middle.

Engine support is more about feature set than power.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

I thought WiiU could run UE 4 but it wasn't worth the effort on a dead console?

As for the question, Switch could probably run Witcher 3 fairly ok if that's any type of indication.

That would've netted about 40% extra performance at the same power level, which still is a ways off from XB1. Would've been more expensive too, indeed.

Throw in the more modern architecture than xbone and some use of fp16 and it wouldnt be that far off xbone power

Instro

Just with Zelda, we can tell it's a lot more powerful when undocked, you have the same resolution as the wii u, but almost always locked frame rate, where wii u is constantly dropping, this was a game built on the wii u and ported to the Switch in less than a year according to their GDC talk this year.

It's anywhere from 1.5x to 2x faster as a handheld and twice that when docked, this is not getting into mixed precision which could get pretty close to current gen consoles when docked when everything is taken into account.

The real port problem with the switch is that the cpu clock is too low, it's much faster than wii u's cpu, but it's only giving about 50% of what devs on the ps4 have for instance.

For anyone looking for a comparison with Xbox 1, when undocked, it is 20% to 35% of xb1's performance and double that when docked, of course the higher the range, the more mixed precision is being utilized. Switch would have been closer with pascal, but it isn't much closer, something like 25% to 40% when undocked and double that when docked.

That reminds me, was there ever any confirmation on the CPU cores used by the Switch? I remember there being some confusion as to whether it had 4 or 8.

Neff

Rounder goggles more powerful

Y6rHpU.jpg

foltzie1

How much would have Nintendo had to lose for the power to be equal to the Xbox One is what I'm wondering. I always thought that was a bit of a mistake but it does seem to be working out for them anyways.

Trillions, magic, and even then you wouldn't shipped a machine like the Switch in 2017.

Nintendo is literally using the most advanced mobile chipset available at any scale (Parker is not yet available at scale). Apple's A10 chipsets are better in many ways, the X1 better in some others, but in either event you cannot buy A10 chips.

The Switch is an impressive piece of tech for what it is, a mobile tablet optimized to seamlessly move to TV mode.

That reminds me, was there ever any confirmation on the CPU cores used by the Switch? I remember there being some confusion as to whether it had 4 or 8.

It's 8 but 4 of them are disabled. The Switch uses 1 core dedicated to the OS and 3 for games. They have a big little arrangment but the Switch uses the 4 stronger cores

gafneo

Banned
It is the Wii U. They just changed the name. Breath of the Wild is the most powerful game on the system and both versions are identical.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Here's a link with many gflops, it may not be 100% accurate but it's a start
http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

2 things:

1)the reported gflops in the case of Switch undocked is the minimum, related to 307.2 MHz mode, i don't remember the exact number but now Switch undocked can do a little more than that, long story short gflops-wise undocked is a little better than wiiu

2)docked switch is way more powerful than the wiiu, but that power can only be used to increase resolution and few other improvements to the base undocked game, you can't expect games taking full advantage of docked power because games must run in undocked mode, undocked mode's power is what decides if a game can be done on Switch or not, long story short the max you can expect from docked switch is sligtly better wiiu-level games at 1080p.

LordKasual

Banned
Not very much.

The Switch is still losing ports of modern games and its greatest technical showcase runs just fine on the WiiU.

the most significant upgrade from WiiU was its portability

Zedark

Here's a link with many gflops, it may not be 100% accurate but it's a start
http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

2 things:

1)the reported gflops in the case of Switch undocked is the minimum, related to 307.2 MHz mode, i don't remember the exact number but now Switch undocked can do a little more than that, long story short gflops-wise undocked is a little better than wiiu

2)docked switch is way more powerful than the wiiu, but that power can only be used to increase resolution and few other improvements to the base undocked game, you can't expect games taking full advantage of docked power because games must run in undocked mode, undocked mode's power is what decides if a game can be done on Switch or not, long story short the max you can expect from docked switch is sligtly better wiiu-level games at 1080p.
The other undocked mode is precisely half the docked mode frequency, and therefore precisely half the docked flops rate.

Not very much.

The Switch is still losing ports of modern games and its greatest technical showcase runs just fine on the WiiU.

the most significant upgrade from WiiU was its portability

I have BOTW on WiiU and Switch. The WiiU version post patch is way behind the Switch version.

BOTW is not the Switch's peak either.

A partial, i cant imagine it requires very much, its based on the 3ds OS and that only took 33% of a 3ds core

I see. I dunno where I read one of the cores was reserved. Oh well good to know.

LordKasual

Banned
I have BOTW on WiiU and Switch. The WiiU version post patch is way behind the Switch version.

It's really nothing to write home about.

It's closer to a PS4 vs. PS4 Pro difference than it is a Console Gen 1 vs. Console Gen 2 upgrade.

Which should be expected, but nonetheless

The footage shown of Mario Odyssey is pretty, but it really isn't much to write home about either in terms of visuals, and after seeing games like SM3DW or MK8 on the WiiU, I wouldn't be surprised if that game could have been cross-platform as well.

Outdated info from the SDK leaksa

Ah makes sense.

It's really nothing to write home about.

It's closer to a PS4 vs. PS4 Pro difference than it is a Console Gen 1 vs. Console Gen 2 upgrade.

Which should be expected, but nonetheless

The footage shown of Mario Odyssey is pretty, but it really isn't much to write home about either in terms of visuals, and after seeing games like SM3DW or MK8 on the WiiU, I wouldn't be surprised if that game could have been cross-platform as well.

Uh that's not what you said. You said BOTW runs fine on the WiiU. It actually runs like shit. It's playable from start to finish but runs fine is a strong strong exageration.

The Switch is a good deal stronger than the WiiU. Is it generational? Not really no. But when you're running last gen games from 720p to 1080p with improved effects it has to be a decent power increase. Check out lego city for another example

Ah makes sense.

Uh that's not what you said. Yiu said BOTW runs fine on the WiiU. It actually runs like shit. It's playable from start to finish but runs fine is a strong strong exageration.

The Switch is a good deal stronger than the WiiU. Is it generational? Not really no. But when you're running last gen games from 720p to 1080p with improved effects it has to be a decent power increase. Check out lego city for another example

Yup. It's also worth pointing out that few Switch games have been built from the ground up for the system thus far. Games like Metroid Prime 4 will really show off the peak of the Switch's capabilities. I also wouldn't mind some games running at 720p docked and 540p undocked if it meant that we could see a game pushing more complex geometry, effects, shaders, etc than we'd normally expect, just as a matter of curiosity as to what the switch can do when not prioritizing resolution.

Yup. It's also worth pointing out that few Switch games have been built from the ground up for the system thus far. Games like Metroid Prime 4 will really show off the peak of the Switch's capabilities. I also wouldn't mind some games running at 720p docked and 540p undocked if it meant that we could see a game pushing more complex geometry, effects, shaders, etc than we'd normally expect, just as a matter of curiosity as to what the switch can do when not prioritizing resolution.

Personally I don't wanna play games lower than 900p in docked mode. No thanks. We had 720p all for the WiiU. I'd like to lwave it that way for first party releases.

Ah, does it? I didn't remember it being noted as such right at launch. Did patches shore it up, or was it always that much better? Got any hard numbers?

I remembered that it was said to run a little worse docked, because it was 900p, and that bit of extra resolution was enough to make it stutter a little more than when undocked.
Both versions ran and looked better than Wii U.
Even at launch.
The docked version was unoptimized for less than a month. Outside of a few spots it's fairly smooth

I look at the lowest common denominator, which is handheld mode. It's not like you can make a game for the system that only works if it has the extra power from being docked. I'd say 1.5-2 times the Wii U while undocked, anything more than that while docked will be used for resolution bumps. This is why I have to scratch my head at the people who were expecting the next Beyond Good & Evil to run on the system.

Top Bottom