• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much prettier is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition? [Preview]

Wait. So the ESRB are telling game publishers to lie to consumers?

don't be so dramatic. I'm just saying it may well be like how trailers for horror movies regularly have digitally removed or recoloured blood due to MPAA rules. just because the blood is missing in the press shot doesn't mean it's missing in the final game (although it might well be).

that's all.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Really good game. Not amazing, and without any all that memorable scenes (nothing like the crazy shit that goes down in the Uncharted games) or interesting characters (I can barely remember anyone from the game beyond Lara), but really solid overall.

Hell I barely remember Lara. I only remember chill hawaiian guy being chill.

kitzkozan

Didn't play the original on 360 will be picking up the PS4 version.

Yep, glad I waited this long to buy it. Given what I know of it, I do not want to pay full price even if the PS4 is starving for content and I'm sure it will be one of the quickest game discounted along with Knack. :^p I will probably be able to buy it for $20 in 3 months (got a $20 gift card at BB along with a $5 coupon).

fade_

For plot and characters for sure...but I remember enjoying the actual gameplay (bow rules) quite a bit more than Uncharted and in most ways even TLoU.

I enjoyed this more than Uncharted 3 but not TLoU. Tomb Raider had the suspense of a horror movie that kept me on the edge of my seat.

Shinta

Banned
The only horrible thing here is the shit you just wrote. Its an alright game imo but if someone backs up why they thought it was horrible, I see no reason why they are considered overly bias.

Edit: Ill redact that last part. Too finger pointy and not creating any worthwhile discussion

I don't really care if it upsets you to hear the truth, because it is a very obvious truth that is easy to see. The fact that people are even comparing it to Naughty Dog in this conversation (winners of multiple GOTY awards for Uncharted 2 and TLoU) should be all we need to know it's not "horrible."

People are free to try and argue why it's horrible if they want, and I'm free to think they have lost touch with the ability to assess games honestly, without bias.

Dueck

Banned
I can only get two of three games that interest me from now through all of February. Lightning Returns, Thief, and this. I'm leaning towards the other two solely because they're completely new to me. I watched my wife play almost all of Tomb Raider last year. I want this, as it reminds me a lot of Ryse, which I love, but I don't think $60 is a great deal.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't really care if it upsets you to hear the truth, because it is a very obvious truth that is easy to see. The fact that people are even comparing it to Naughty Dog in this conversation (winners of multiple GOTY awards for Uncharted 2 and TLoU) should be all we need to know it's not "horrible."

People are free to try and argue why it's horrible if they want, and I'm free to think they have lost touch with the ability to assess games honestly, without bias.

I think it's horrible because it's a solid example of what would otherwise be a fun game ruined by intrusive scripted sequences, QTEs and cutscenes. What do you think of them apples?

wizzbang

Banned
Have to agree with the people complaining about the face change. Yes I like attractive people but she looks like a model now, makeup is perfect she just happens to be covered in mud.

I think I prefer the original model / face. While still beautiful by todays standards it wasn't ridiculous and over sexualised (considering it's a tomb raider game)
They need only tweak her nipples now huh? :/

Shinta

Banned
I think it's horrible because it's a solid example of what would otherwise be a fun game ruined by intrusive scripted sequences, QTEs and cutscenes. What do you think of them apples?

I think your definition of horrible is so impossibly far from mine that it's rendered the word almost meaningless.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Your problem is you confusion subjective opinion with truth and try to sell it as if it really is truth. Reminds me of some of Amirox less convincing attempt to support his views. Calling it truth over and over doesnt actually change reality..

flying dutchman

Neo Member
It looks quite stunning really. That little PS4 is putting out some graphics alot of people said it wasnt capable of. And its been out for a couple of months.
Cant wait to see what games are gonna look like in a few years time.
And if Tomb Raider looks this nice, just imagine what ND has got planned.

NoPiece

I'd say the scripted sequences and QTEs were the worst part if the game, but besides the first chapter there weren't that many, and it didn't ruin the game. If it really bothered you, pretty much every AAA game is ruined for you. The core gameplay mechanics were rock solid.

My guess is they are using a development PC to render the shots in high-resolution, then downsampling to 1080p.

They already have to downplay the existence of the PC version enough to justify this being called 'definitive.' They obviously don't want to draw anymore attention to the issue by making this available on PC.

There must be a PC version. SE's grip on Eidos is infuriating at times. SE is infuriating 90% of the time.
tumblr_lgf2onj4eJ1qcfba3o1_r1_500.gif

I held out for this for some reason, tried it and liked it, but didn't buy it. I might get it for PS4, but I also might hold off for the PC version.

I could double-dip, there's always that.

Dead

well not really...yet
That Bloodbath screen is weird.

That scene was one of the best and most memorable in the entire game, would be a shame for it to be ruined if you come out of it not looking the way you did in the original.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'd say the scripted sequences and QTEs were the worst part if the game, but besides the first chapter there weren't that many, and it didn't ruin the game. If it really bothered you, pretty much every AAA game is ruined for you. The core gameplay mechanics were rock solid.

That's not far from the truth.

The reason this game bugs me in particular is because, as you said, the core mechanics are really solid, but they're barely utilized because the game is designed to push you toward the next lame cutscene or boring scripted sequence.

I do have high hopes for any sequel as long as they cut out the garbage and make an actual game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The reason this game bugs me in particular is because, as you said, the core mechanics are really solid, but they're barely utilized because the game is designed to push you toward the next lame cutscene or boring scripted sequence.

I do have high hopes for any sequel as long as they cut out the garbage and make an actual game.

Imagine if there were actual survival mechanics.

Leb

Hmmm. From what we've seen so far, this looks like more of a sidegrade. Some things definitely look better, no question, but other things are a decided step backwards.

Yeah, they shouldn't have any trouble at all moving this at 60 bones.

NoPiece

I'd love a Tomb Raider that was more inspired by Far Cry 2, but I'm willing to deal with the scripted and QTE stuff. I thought I was going to dislike the game after the first chapter which had almost no interactivity, but they did a good job opening it up for the rest of the game. It wasn't exactly open world, but that you could go back to revisit areas gave it a much more open feel than most games. And just as far as the feel and control for a third person action shooter, it felt better than any other game of that type in the last couple years.

MaLDo

A cinematic near-depth blur has also been added, so when things are too close to the screen they'll get a bit fuzzy, which makes you not only focus on the crisp environment around you, but it also adds more depth to every scene. Conversely, the draw distance has been increased to the max so you can now see farther, all the way to the horizon depending where you are.

Sorry PR, my PC version has that DOF.

Options\Graphics\[Advanced]\Depth of Field = ULTRA

Oppo

I could never get the PC version I own to run without crashing after 30 minutes.

This does seem tempting as I was enjoying the game. And the improvements look actually substantial.

Wish I could side-grade my Steam version. :/

MaDKaT

Tempted to pick this up again. Never finished it on PS3 before loaning it out. I liked what I played but got side tracked with other games. Will probably pick it up when it is cheaper.

This was one of the better pc ports <graphically> it looked spectacular much of the time, lots of fancy effects loads of extra geometry/tesselation over the console version

It should look quite good on ps4 if all the pc port features made it over

WellI didn't play this last gen, so i was thinking of picking it up. Or maybe I will just watch Twitch streams. I don't know.

Ive heard people call this GOTY, and the next response it horrible horrible game.

bes.gen

WellI didn't play this last gen, so i was thinking of picking it up. Or maybe I will just watch Twitch streams. I don't know.

Ive heard people call this GOTY, and the next response it horrible horrible game.

the thing is it starts promising, has some cool open areas, fun combat etc.
but as you go along story gets more and more laughable. they try these uncharted style set pieces, but their animation tech is not up to task etc.
at the end it leaves a bad taste. (for me at least)

wouldn't consider this to be worth full price, even if u haven't played before.

BulletTheory

Neo Member
I think I'm gonna buy a ps4 and pick this up once it comes out. Didn't play the original release and I've been waiting for a decent single player game before getting my ps4.

I'm not expecting it to be on Uncharteds level but it's a good game right? Sounds like it should look pretty nice too, I want some good graphics for my first next gen game!

I'm down for triple-dipping, it's an amazing game, but not for 60 bucks. Not when I just bought every Tomb Raider ever made on steam a month or so ago for 16.

Replicant

I see Lara still moans as she slaughters her way across the island. But now in Super HD.

Also for a supposedly exotic island, Yamatai looks rather dull. Brown and grey. ACIV is far more colorful if I'm looking for exotic island romp.

Apparently this is PC on Ultra vs the Definitive Edition:

tomb-raider-comparison-3.gif

http://gearnuke.com/see-tomb-raider-definitive-edition-compares-pc-version-ultra/

Seems a little off though, surely that can't be PC settings on Ultra? Seems compressed and/or blurred.

That's more than a little off. I used a mix of low and medium settings and it looked way better. What a blurry mess.

Edit: Isn't the definitive version using the same textures as the pc version? The article seems to imply they're different.

tomb-raider-comparison-1.gif

What's with her arms getting splattered in mud after just barely touching the ground? Is that the "dynamic" mud/blood/sweat thing at work? Looks pretty exaggerated there.

Edit: False alarm, they just be shadows.

Top Bottom