• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much prettier is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition? [Preview]

zlatko

Banned
*shrug*

I'll wait for the bomba I guess and grab it when it's cheaper since GAF is back and forth on this one.

If the MP was a solid experience I may be there day oneish for a suitable Uncharted MP step in, or just a TPS to tide my thrist until a new Gears of War for next gen.

delta25

Banned
It's funny how in a blink of an eye a critically acclaimed multi-platform game slips into PC gaming irrelevance.

;)

I've not played the latest TR yet so I'm super excited for this.

Since there is 4K stuff here....Whats the chances of more games going down this route?Worthwhile getting a 4K TV?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It's funny how in a blink of an eye a critically acclaimed multi-platform game slips into PC gaming irrelevance.

;)

It's funny how people will defend a marginally better looking $60 port of a game released less than a year ago because it's not coming to PC.

daevv

The PS3 and 360 versions went down in price fairly quickly. I'll be getting this version but not at $60.

tomb-raider-comparison-1.gif

What's with her arms getting splattered in mud after just barely touching the ground? Is that the "dynamic" mud/blood/sweat thing at work? Looks pretty exaggerated there.

Shadows.

UnrealEck

What's with her arms getting splattered in mud after just barely touching the ground? Is that the "dynamic" mud/blood/sweat thing at work? Looks pretty exaggerated there.
Looks like a shadow of bushes.
What I don't get is the lighting on her front. It's like they artificially inserted a light source in front of her for the explosion that's behind her. Or maybe the new version has some sort of radioactive substance in the plane which goes straight through her body and radiates light through her front.

Gestault

What I don't get is the lighting on her front. It's like they artificially inserted a light source in front of her for the explosion that's behind her. Or maybe the new version has some sort of radioactive substance in the plane which goes straight through her body and radiates light through her front.

I'm not sure about the relative position, but I feel like the sun could be a pretty strong light-source other than the plane itself.

delta25

Banned
It's funny how people will defend a marginally better looking $60 port of a game released less than a year ago because it's not coming to PC.

Who's to say it not coming to the PC, lets not forget this is after all just a marginally better PC port according to you.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Who's to say it not coming to the PC, lets not forget this is after all just a marginally better PC port according to you.

Actually, I think it's a given it's coming to PC. Of course, they can't say that because they want to charge $60 for this version but they know nobody in their right mind would pay anywhere near that to upgrade their Steam copy.

The defense of this port is going to melt away once the upgrade plan for the PC version is announced.

Have you ever been running from a crashing plane and almost fell in some mud?

I have and I can say, it happens!

Mud everywhere!

Also they are shadows...I hope.

delta25

Banned
Actually, I think it's a given it's coming to PC. Of course, they can't say that because they want to charge $60 for this version but they know nobody in their right mind would pay anywhere near that to upgrade their Steam copy.

The defense of this port is going to melt away once the upgrade plan for the PC version is announced.

So then why are so many people quick to downplay the potential significances of this port when we both know decades past these kinds of upgrades PC gaming is so well know for regardless of how big or small they may seem are always thrown into the faces of console gamers time and time again. Lets us have are moment before its to late.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So then why are so many people quick to downplay the potential significances of this port when we both know decades past these kinds of upgrades PC gaming is so well know for regardless of their significance are always thrown into the faces of console gamers time and time again. Lets us have are moment before its to late.

Listen to yourself. You're defending a version that hardly looks better (probably even doesn't, although we won't know until we can do some proper comparisons) and costs full price because you want to one up PC gamers in some imaginary platform battle.

This port is basically a publisher saying that early adopters of next-gen consoles are willing and desperate enough to pay $60 for a port and I'm baffled that it's turning out to not be completely based in arrogance.

Valnen

Gestault

This port is basically a publisher saying that early adopters of next-gen consoles are willing and desperate enough to pay $60 for a port and I'm baffled that it's turning out to not be completely based in arrogance.

If you think the core game itself isn't worth the money, that's fine, but almost every game launches at $60. If we're saying that as a community a game is only worth that amount because of the novelty of its initial release, and not underlying design quality or production value, then that's a pretty bleak outlook on the state of our hobby. I wouldn't spend $60 on this myself, though it looks fairly well put together. I bought the original version for $20 and was very pleased with it. But I don't think dedicating energy to convincing others that they don't want a game is energy well spent.

If people think its worth it, they'll buy it. Those that don't can wait for a price drop or just skip it all-together. Literally the only people taking a risk here is the company publishing it. No fuss, no muss.

delta25

Banned
Listen to yourself. You're defending a version that hardly looks better (probably even doesn't, although we won't know until we can do some proper comparisons) imaginary platform battle.

I'm not defending anything, I'm pointing out something that has always been a factor in determining the visual significance of one version over the other, but now all of the sudden these upgrades have no relevance, or are to small to consider when trying to determining what is the better version. Its clear that going by what the preview states and what the devs have said in the past the definitive version is clearly a pretty big step up from previous versions in regards to the amount of upgrades made to the game regardless of how you see things.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
But I don't think dedicating energy to convincing others that they don't want a game is energy well spent.

You may not think so, but gamers supporting late ports for full price can only serve to bite everyone in the ass in the end.

If people think its worth it, they'll buy it. Those that don't can wait for a price drop or just skip it all-together. Literally the only people taking a risk here is the company publishing it. No fuss, no muss.

Hey, maybe most people will pass on it. It still doesn't mean the port isn't blatantly meant to take advantage of next-gen console owners and to see people defending it really bugs me.

delta25 said:
I'm not defending anything, I'm pointing out something that has always been a factor in determining the visual significance of one version over the other, but now all of the sudden these upgrades have no relevance, or are to small to consider when trying to determining what is the better version. Its clear that going by what the preview states and what the devs have said in the past the definitive version is clearly a pretty big step up form previous versions in regards to the amount of upgrades made to the game.

It sounds like you're buying into PR speak a little too much. From the media we've seen so far, there is nothing that justifies a $60 upgrade even from the 360/PS3 versions. 1080p and TressFX are the only real noticeable changes (and Lara's face, I guess).

MaLDo

Apparently this is PC on Ultra vs the Definitive Edition:

tomb-raider-comparison-3.gif

http://gearnuke.com/see-tomb-raider-definitive-edition-compares-pc-version-ultra/

Seems a little off though, surely that can't be PC settings on Ultra? Seems compressed and/or blurred.

Surely definitive edition has some great additions like sss but what I can see in that comparisson is

- Take PC version
- Disable colorgrading
- Tone down motion blur
- Change time of day settings to achieve higher contrast for a wow effect (killing the gi feeling)
- Increase detail bump factor
- Reduce view distance (those distant trees are the same texture while geometry in pc shot, and some of them disappear)
- Reduce dust particles (in this shot, surely they add new ones in a lot of places)
- Rise to the sky sunshafts to another wow effect
- Tone down hair physics

So, in my opinion and only talking about that comparisson, they rise and change effects that are mostly free in terms of performance.

Harlequin

You may not think so, but gamers supporting late ports for full price can only serve to bite everyone in the ass in the end.

Hey, maybe most people will pass on it. It still doesn't mean the port isn't blatantly meant to take advantage of next-gen console owners and to see people defending it really bugs me.

It sounds like you're buying into PR speak a little too much. From the media we've seen so far, there is nothing that justifies a $60 upgrade even from the 360/PS3 versions. 1080p and TressFX are the only real noticeable changes (and Lara's face, I guess).

The lighting, skin shader, draw distance and texture resolutions are noticeably better, the improved physics and updated plants are also noticable. They definitely put much more work into it than what went into all those HD editions we saw on PS360. Most of those were 40$ and only had a higher rendering resultion than their Xbox and PS2 counterparts. So I feel like asking for 60$ for this is definitely justified in terms of the amount of work that went into it. Whether it was a wise decision to spend all that time on just graphical upgrades instead of on new content is another matter and everyone will have to decide for themselves whether the product is worth the price to them. But it's not a situation of them just throwing together a lazy port and overpricing it. They actually worked for that money.

FneT6J2.jpg
ah so moe

True next gen is taking an okay character and making them look like a Dead or Alive girl. That's why it's called definitive.

UnrealEck

Her eyes look like she no longer needs saving. She's not worried now so I'll just leave her alone and she can avoid being impaled on that log herself.
That's how games work right? They play themselves when we're asleep.

delta25

Banned
tomb-raider-comparison-3.gif

Either there is some PR shenanigans at work with this comparison or the definitive version really is a pretty big step up.

UnrealEck

I'm not sure about the relative position, but I feel like the sun could be a pretty strong light-source other than the plane itself.

Oh so it was just a solar flare. An incredibly strong solar flare which happened at the same time as the explosion behind her.

Who is the target audience for this? Anyone who wanted to play the game already has, and you'd be out of your mind to re-purchase the game just for a new coat of paint and slightly expanded content. Also the announcement trailer is totally aimed at the type of gamer who plays COD "FAST CUTS, EXPLOSIONS, WOMEN!" It is as if Michael Bay directed it.

I think with Ubisoft calling the original game a failure (sales wise) it is no surprise they did this, easy way to get some more money on something already developed with minimal work / finances.

*incoming rant about the game in general*

Also, I don't understand why this game got put on so many best of the year lists. I found a good deal of it problematic, and nothing that great.

The game is "reverse sexist" if that makes sense (aka men don't have a lot of room to cry sexism and be taken seriously). The females are strong, powerful and never get hurt, while the men take on the same obstacles and get hurt. All the enemies are men (unless you count on ghost...sort of). Thing of this vice versa and the outcry there would be. Or if *gasp* there were a trailer with some sexy nuns trying to kill a male and he had to *gasp* defend himself. I'm all for feminism, I really am, I just don't think this game did much in the favor of advancing the role of women in video games.

Laura really struggles with her first act of violence, which is moments after what some people consider to be an attempted rape scene (it isn't, just one of the devs had said they considered having one) to justify it. From then on violence comes with ease. Same thing happens when hunting that first deer. It kind of goes completely against the characters morals.

As far as "Tomb Raiding" goes there certainly weren't enough crypts / puzzles in the game, it felt more like a shooter than anything.

Also Laura is basically a punching bag the entire game, and then there is the tacked on Gears of War-esque multiplayer, because every game needs multiplayer. (See Bioshock 2).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, just there were a lot of things I took offence to.

Have you ever been running from a crashing plane and almost fell in some mud?

I have and I can say, it happens!

Mud everywhere!

Also they are shadows...I hope.

Ah, yes, upon closer inspection, they are shadows. My bad!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
hypothetically if this was the PC version release at the same price point would you not recommend it either over 360/PS3?

Absolutely not, especially considering late PC ports are generally $40 or less. It would be seen as much of a joke as this version is. The only difference here is that next-gen console owners need SOMETHING to play and are willing to overlook being exploited.

Top Bottom