• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How on earth this magic trick was done? (From P&T Fool Us)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larogue

I don't consider my self to have any talent in magic, but I've watched enough magicians and tricks revealing videos & books, to have decent knowledge about magic and card tricks methodology.

And I've watched the entire Penn & Teller Fool Us TV series. And kinda figured out most of the tricks that has been done either by my self, reading comments on youtube or just guessing logical ways that how the trick might have been done (based on my previous knowledge).

penncanren-700x400.jpg

However, there is one magician who preformed there and has been haunting my mind for months and I can't even imagine how he have done some of his tricks.

His name is Shin Lim, and here is his audition :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAN-PwRfJcA#t=0.427604

Some parts of it are obvious especially at the start (like the first pen hiding), however as he continues.... things get almost impossible to grasp !

what-kind-of-sorcery-is-this.jpg

UPDATE 2017: He is back again for the 4th season and it's even crazier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thIlxChNYqk

ugly

I guess he just really is magic.
The expression he's always pulling reminds me of a soul calibur character

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
lol if Penn and Teller couldn't tell then what makes you think we can figure it out. There's some legitimate magic af stuff in there. Top comment on Youtube for instance. Making the deck appear out of nowhere.

Ray Wonder

He has a little copy machine surgically implanted into is torso that can copy the signature and produce a bunch of those signed cards. Then he still uses magic for the rest

sangreal

I remember the last time this was posted... if you slow it down to 0.25x you can see what he is doing

dude is amazing though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y3jUoNBreE

Lets see, off the start he doesn't ever take a deck out of it. He bends the first ace so it stands out and pulls it out when he puts the deck in his mouth and the other "Ace" he folds is a dummy.
The 4 he has two of and slips one through the buttons into his left front pocket after the sideways trick then uses the one in his left to show the card again. Then switches it with the bottom card of the deck that comes out the package which is probably his second most visible trick next to the slipping of the second sharpie into his left pocket after the sharpie switch hands trick.
The bag trick there is a hole in the back of the bag so he slides one of the 4's into the back of it and then when he flicks the bag he is actually just turning it around. Which is WAY more visible when he does the second "switch" back to being in his mouth.
Then for the final trick he actually pulls both cards out of the hole in the bottom of the bag with his left hand when you think its going into his right, hence why the left hand seemingly positions the cards to the slit.
Lastly he slides all the cards out right at the back of the table while setting up to crumble it.
Vwalah

IISANDERII

I don't consider my self to have any talent in magic, but I've watched enough magicians and tricks revealing videos & books, to have decent knowledge about magic and card tricks methodology.

And I've watched the entire Penn & Teller Fool Us TV series. And kinda figured out most of the tricks that has been done either by my self, reading comments on youtube or just guessing logical ways that how the trick might have been done (based on my previous knowledge).

penncanren-700x400.jpg

However, there is one magician who preformed there and has been haunting my mind for months and I can't even imagine how he have done some of his tricks.

His name is Shin Lim, and here is his audition :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAN-PwRfJcA#t=0.427604

Some parts of it are obvious especially at the start (like the first pen hiding), however as he continues.... things get almost impossible to grasp !

what-kind-of-sorcery-is-this.jpg

Help me gaf.
He uses sleight of hand

Ray Wonder

Nevermind I figured out the one that's pointed on on the youtube top comment.

4:27

It's not a deck appearing, it's just a 3d cut out that springs open to look like a deck. He only adds cards once he brings his hand together.

I've got to imagine that black piece on the table has something to do with it. There's something under the table for the smoke. Awesome sleight of hand thougb.

Pandy

I'm not a magician myself, but I do study it a bit and can follow most run-of-the-mill acts.

For about 75%(or whatever) of his acts I can say quite happily what's going on, even if I can't spot the actual exchange the rules of sleight of hand with cards are fairly straight-forward and just because he's so great at the execution I can't see it on a Youtube video doesn't mean I don't know what he's doing.

But that 25% still remains. Damn he's good.

psyfi

Banned
okay that was awesome but man his performance persona is corny as hell

Edit: I'm watching his second performance and straight up laughing, the dude makes the silliest faces!

Edit again: Okay his second performance was dope too. And whoa Willow from Buffy is a host? lmao

I found it boring... I mean he is not that great with his masking moves. Sometimes I have no clue how he is doing the trick, but it's obvious he is doing something that I'm not supposed to be paying attention to.

SilentRob

I had to laugh hard at him hyping up his musical skills on the piano and how that allows him to sync is act up to the music...only to then use the two of the most overplayed tracks in pop culture with those Inception tracks. Really fun act anyway!

Just...maybe tone down those faces.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
He stands himself in certain positions that seem a bit obvious in the way they're required for physics or misdirection. Like crouching behind the table.

But other than that, it's impressive skill.

deo

Banned
At 1:59, the king card was behind the queen but nice illusion though lol. Other than that, Im convinced wizards are real lol

Ristlager

Amazing guy, loved the first one and this. The sleight of hand is off the charts. But in the first one I had no idea how he did all his tricks, but I think I figured out most of this one. He just used a deck of cards with half red and half blue (split vertically) and just rotated the deck? And having just one blue and one red card to put on top. Same with the text on the cards, numbers on right side and text on the left? He is very deliberate to only show a inch of the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom