• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Taylor Swift Played The Victim For A Decade And Made Her Entire Career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Last January Kanye West called Taylor Swift to ask whether she'd mind if he wrote a song in which he referenced having sex with her. After hearing the lyrics, she told him that they ”didn't matter" to her. But she had an idea.

”If people ask me about it," she said, her voice picking up with excitement, ”I think it'd be great for me to be like, ‘Look, he called me about the line before it came out. Joke's on you guys! We're fine.'" Swift told West she'd be doing just that on the Grammys red carpet, weeks after the song's release.

It was released, however, to the public's immediate revulsion. The lyrics were described as sexist, misogynistic, and deeply offensive, with many West fans threatening to boycott him. He attempted to explain that Swift was aware of its content, but she didn't enact her plan. Instead Swift released a statement publicly decrying the song as ”misogynistic", claiming she'd cautioned West against releasing it.

And at the Grammys, Swift took to the stage to accept her award for Album of the Year and made a passionate speech. ”To all the young women out there," Swift warned, ”there are going to be people along the way who will try to undercut your success, or take credit for your achievements." Then, looking directly down the lens of the camera, she said: ”Or your fame." She paused for several seconds, allowing her message to percolate.

Swift had witnessed the negative reaction to ”Famous" and reverted back to a well-practised posture: that of victim.

Swift's speech at the Grammys was arguably the catalyst for West's wife, Kim Kardashian, stepping in. Three months after the awards ceremony, she told GQ that she believed the speech was a deliberate attempt to ”diss" West after he'd done nothing but ”follow protocol". She went on to claim that not only had Swift ”totally approved" the lyrics in ”Famous", but that there was also video footage to prove it. Swift's official response to the interview concluded with the line: ”Taylor cannot understand why Kanye West and now Kim Kardashian will not leave her alone."

Two months after the interview, we saw Kim Kardashian sitting on a plush velvet couch, talking about it with her sister Kourtney as the Keeping Up With the Kardashians cameras rolled. ”You know I never talk shit about anyone publicly, especially in interviews," Kardashian told her sister. ”I just felt like I wanted to defend Kanye in it." Rolling her heavily lined eyes to the ceiling, she sighed, ”It was just another way for her to play the victim. It definitely got her a lot of attention last time."

As soon as the episode had aired, Kardashian took to Snapchat and posted 22 consecutive clips without context or captions. But neither were needed: It was immediately clear that Kardashian had leaked the footage of the phone call between West and Swift. It's crucial to note that it took another Caucasian woman – albeit, one with a complex history of proximity to and appropriation of black culture – to expose Swift. West could never have released this audio, because it would have been a continuation of the ”threatening" position he's occupied in their narrative – something Swift mentioned in her statement about the phone call.

In this statement, she asked to be ”excluded from the narrative, one that I have never asked to be a part of since 2009." Doing so harkened back to the moment she and West first met, at the MTV VMAs, where a young Swift clutched her award as West stormed the stage, took the microphone from her, and announced that Beyoncé should've won instead.

But West wasn't suggesting that Swift was undeserving – he was speaking out against systemic racism in the music industry, which consistently favours white artists. After the incident, West said: ”It's not about Kanye West. It's not about Taylor Swift. There's a lot of people in America that feel like they don't have a platform to stand up and express their closet racism."

He went on to say that the MTV judging panel gave Swift the award in a bid to fill the gap of ”young white pop star" left by Britney Spears in the wake of her breakdown, adding that he felt the need to ”get drunk" in order to cope with ”all the lies" in the ceremony.

The dominant reaction, however, was a reflection of what the world has been conditioned to see: the ”threat" of an ”angry" black man terrorising the ”innocent" white woman. Even their clothes reflected the racially fuelled victim/villain framework that would define the incident: The image of West, wearing dark shades and an entirely black outfit, accosting sweet Swift in her white and silver party dress, remains an iconic one.

The fallout for West was immediate. Public opinion spiralled so drastically that even the president branded him a ”jackass". Swift, on the other hand, was able to capitalise on the stereotype of the ”angry black man", an archetype that has been described as a ”figment of the white imagination", used to incarcerate and oppress black men. For Swift, it was PR gold. The incident may not have made her famous, as the lyrics in ”Famous" claim, but it certainly catapulted her into the mainstream consciousness.

Despite saying she wants to be ”excluded from the narrative", Swift has reminded the public of this same narrative countless times in jokes and speeches. She even has a framed photograph of the moment in her Nashville home.

In 2010 Swift wrote the song ”Innocent", in which she forgave West with the lyrics: ”32 and still growing up / Who you are is not what you did / You're still an innocent." Swift debuted the song with a performance at the MTV VMAs, opening with a literal replaying of her run-in with West from the previous year. But the scene was edited to entirely omit West's infamous line, and the final shot lingered on her overly pained face.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/elliewoodw...r-entire-caree?utm_term=.ywAAPWjmB#.ujbvb6dor

The piece goes on into more specific analysis of how Taylor has leveraged her failed relationships and subsequent portrayal as a victim into public sympathy (as well as songs) and how she more recently reinvented herself as a feminist icon and the problems therein. Worth reading IMO.

Well now that buzzfeed published the article maybe TayTay's audience will actually listen.

And yeah I'm sure all of her relationship failures are the fault of her boyfriends. Her fellow Swifties can relate to being dumped and its always the guys fault!

I was going to make a thread about this but forgot to.

But, yeah, T-Swizzle just seems to have been making all the wrong moves, from back-stabbing Kanye to her lack of involvement in key feminist movements. I'm a huge Kanye stan, so of course, my view of her is a lot more negative than other folks, but it just seems she, in particular, is a lot more disingenuous than any of the other popstars out there. Compare her to a Lady Gaga or a Charli XCX or even a Katy Perry, and she keeps this distant but perfect image of herself that even Beyonce started getting out of.

Folks think Kanye is kooky, and maybe he is but he's just hyper aware of all the racists shit that goes on in the music industry and other industries where blacks and minorities may not be welcome.

The fact that he says the shit he says doesn't help him much, but that doesn't mean he is wrong. White folks will never ever understand and that's why they frame Kanye as crazy, but that BuzzFeed article is spot on.

Malyse

But, yeah, T-Swizzle just seems to have been making all the wrong moves, from back-stabbing Kanye to her lack of involvement in key feminist movements. I'm a huge Kanye stan, so of course, my view of her is a lot more negative than other folks, but it just seems she, in particular, is a lot more disingenuous than any of the other popstars out there. Compare her to a Lady Gaga or a Charli XCX or even a Katy Perry, and she keeps this distant but perfect image of herself that even Beyonce started getting out of.

Bey is actually perfect doe.

Exactly, she's milquetoast af

New002

I could have sworn an article that was basically this was posted here weeks (months?) ago. Anyone know what I'm talking about or am I taking crazy pills?

giphy.gif

Or maybe she just has talent.
Or maybe you've never heard a Kanye album in your entire life.
Bey is actually perfect doe.
That or she has a perfect PR team.

Pop is rife with image fixes, and Bey managed to become the Queen because she consistently put out quality, she spoke out when she needed to, and she allows her image to have cracks in it e.g. "Lemonade" and its backstory or those humanizing moments on tour or even her support of Solange.

Malyse

I could have sworn an article that was basically this was posted here weeks (months?) ago. Anyone know what I'm talking about or am I taking crazy pills?

Well, this was posted this morning, so your time machine must have a glitch.

Volimar

I mean, she says in her own songs that she's crazy and that the guy will probably leave, so I don't know where this victim thing is coming from. Not from Taylor. And while the scary black man thing might have been prevalent right after he did it, I think most people echoed Obama's own sentiment on the subject, being that he was a jackass. Taylor's career is from her white bread catchy songs, not from playing the victim. The article reads like it's just trying to stir shit for clicks.

Taylor was in the wrong for how she did Kanye with that song lyric he did about her though. And then Kim held on to that info to promote her own show. All three are all about self promotion. They deserve each other.

jury's out

The problem with Swift is that she doesn't seem to stand for anything or anyone, nor does she have anything important to say about anything.

She's just kind of ....there

Say what you will about the rest of her music (Shake It Off is a musical travesty) but Style is an all time great pop song. Can't do that without talent.

Her obviously fake "innocent girl next door" was annoying enough, but when she added the layer of "I'm awkward and just like you!" with her latest album, she just went too far. Constantly victimized herself, making herself the center of every situation. I'm sure if a professional watched every interview she's done, they'd diagnose her with Narcissitic Personality Disorder.

Add to the fact that she popularized this idea that pop stars don't have to be able to dance or entertain or perform well in general, and that it's more desirable for pop stars to be relateable and lol! Regular just like us!, and she's just been awful for the pop music industry. Get her out of my sight.

Her obviously fake "innocent girl next door" was annoying enough, but when she added the layer of "I'm awkward and just like you!" with her latest album, she just went too far. Constantly victimized herself, making herself the center of every situation. I'm sure if a professional watched every interview she's done, they'd diagnose her with Narcissitic Personality Disorder.

Add to the fact that she popularized this idea that pop stars don't have to be able to dance or entertain or perform well in general, and that it's more desirable for pop stars to be relateable and lol! Regular just like us!, and she's just been awful for the pop music industry. Get her out of my sight.

Wow ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom