• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Taylor Swift Played The Victim For A Decade And Made Her Entire Career

Status
Not open for further replies.
Armenians can literally trace their heritage back to the Caucasus Mountains.

Well damn. I thought Armenians were more linked to Persians than Europeans. She certainly looks more Persian.

I guess what I meant is she doesn't look like the modern usage of the word "caucasian", which basically refers to white europeans.

Isotropy

We've well and truly passed the point at which the incessant whining about Taylor Swift became far more annoying than any whining she's done herself.

xandaca

So she plays the publicity game? Same as everyone else, then. So she uses feminism as part of her brand? Same as everyone else, then. Main difference, she's also a prodigiously talented songwriter whose squeaky clean image makes her easier to tear down than, say, Beyoncé, who has latterly transformed herself into some national treasure champion of blackness, a role every bit as inauthentic as Swift's half-arsed feminism but much harder to rip into.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Well yeah this is obvious to anyone that has been paying attention. It's kind of ridiculous how she went from girl on the sidelines to head cheer leader (in one of her songs from her second album she quotes "She's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers").

Honestly it doesn't matter though now because she's made one of the best pop albums of the decade.

I'm still team Kanye though.

MANUELF

Banned
That part of the VMAs is totally fake, Beyoncé won the vídeo of the Year Award that same night and Kanye has an habit of saying if I dont win something or one of the people I respect do then is rascism
I mean he went and talked to Trump in person and even said he voted for him a open rascist and mysoginist

r3Chm04.jpg
Okay this got me good lol.

In school two of my roommates knew her family because they all grew up in the same area. When I asked what they were like one laughed, hesitated for a few seconds, and said "They're nice, but never get on their bad side."

Zee-Row

Banned
I've seen posts with much less filth result in a ban.

Neogaf gonna Neogaf

She was famous well before Kanye stole her stage.

I'm not kidding , I got to go backstage at Bridgestone arena because I have an uncle that works there and her parents were bigger divas and more demanding than her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm confused - did they get ahold of the audio of their call? I guess all of this was a long time ago but I pay almost no attention to popular media. I'm just as inclined to think its "all publicity is good publicity" from all sides.

That part of the VMAs is totally fake, Beyoncé won the vídeo of the Year Award that same night and Kanye has an habit of saying if I dont win something or one of the people I respect do then is rascism
I mean he went and talked to Trump in person and even said he voted for him a open rascist and mysoginist

You do realize that that makes it make even less sense. Beyonce released the best video of the year, but not the best video by a female performer? I mean, I get why they would have done it (they wanted Taylor to win something and decided that would be it), but it makes no logical sense.

Does this article actually try to paint West's actions at the 2009 VMAs as not a jackass thing to do?

It does, but even then there are/were ways to play that off that don't involve you playing a victim to something/someone that absolutely didn't hurt you or your career in any way.

nitewulf

I'm not super into this stuff like you guys, and you know the real world is coming to an end etc., but having said that, there is no way Kanye is a victim of anything either. he is a total tool.

Matt

It does, but even then there are/were ways to play that off that don't involve you playing a victim to something/someone that absolutely didn't hurt you or your career in any way.
Sure, I'm not arguing against that idea. I just thought it was odd how dismissive it was of Kanye's actual bad behavior.

All the other points of the story seem well reasoned.

riotous

Banned
You do realize that that makes it make even less sense. Beyonce released the best video of the year, but not the best video by a female performer? I mean, I get why they would have done it (they wanted Taylor to win something and decided that would be it), but it makes no logical sense.

The VMA's existed to be watched, so that advertisers would pay MTV. The VMA's don't exist to give out awards logically.

Having Beyonce on stage twice is less fruitful than having Beyonce on once and TSwift on once. And yes, giving Taylor Swift fans a reason to feel good while watching the show.

I totally buy that the incident was exacerbated by racism; but Kanye is still a huge attention whoring jackass, so this article is a bit much.

Isn't it odd how Swift has positioned herself as a feminist icon and yet has said nothing about Trump this whole election cycle or after? Seems weird to act like you speak up for women and then don't go to or even mention publicly what was probably the biggest Women's march of all time, and people in your crew cancel interviews when they won't promise to ask about it. Weird huh? It's almost like she voted for him.

Isn't it odd how Swift has positioned herself as a feminist icon and yet has said nothing about Trump this whole election cycle or after? Seems weird to act like you speak up for women and then don't go to or even mention publicly what was probably the biggest Women's march of all time, and people in your crew cancel interviews when they won't promise to ask about it. Weird huh? It's almost like she voted for him.
Except she did. (And also got slammed for it).

I just want to go on record and say that Kanye is the greatest of all time, and that the only people that hate Kanye, have never actually listened to Kanye.

#yeezy2020

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
why is EMOTION so good?
It's okay and overrated.

She probably did, she's from a southern state, and her folks are rich and she sang country most of her life. It would not be surprising.

LionPride

Banned
I just want to go on record and say that Kanye is the greatest of all time, and that the only people that hate Kanye, have never actually listened to Kanye.

#yeezy2020

Joking or not, this statement is true in my life. The only people I know who hate Kanye are people who have never actually listened to his music but hate the dumb shit that comes from his mouth sometimes

In other news...you know who's good?

CHVRCHES

She probably did, she's from a southern state, and her folks are rich and she sang country most of her life. It would not be surprising.

She's from Pennsylvania. She moved to Nashville for her music career, so she's not from the South. That being said, she probably does still have a lot of country fans, and Taylor is the type of person that wouldn't want to lose any fans by going too hard on any given viewpoint. Everything is calculated to do the minimal amount of damage, so she stays quiet on things like politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom