• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Earn an Entire Season worth of Characters in Street Fighter V

Personally, I'd rather not have the FM system if that meant the actual real money prices werent so unreasonably high.

I dunno, it averages to about £4 per character in the season pass, which is around the same price as most other fighting games, plus you get costume DLC for each of them when you buy it, too. If you wait for the pass to go on sale (S1 went on sale when Urien, the final character, was released), it's even better.

ironmang

I play SFV for like 20 minutes a day. Not every day, but most days. I come home from work and play like three sets online to unwind. I've earned close to 1.5 million Fight Money since launch. Enough for 14 DLC characters. Only 9 have been released.

So how did you get that 1.5 million FM?

Mesoian

Fighting games I've purchased this gen:

Injustice: Ultimate Edition
Mortal Kombat XL
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4: Road to Boruto
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Noticing a trend? I did not have to do anything you're describing in your post for any of these games and I didn't have to spend anymore than $40 to get it.

What makes SFV's situation extra shitty is their repeated insistence that no complete edition of the game is ever coming. I'm hoping they'll eventually change their mind, but only time will tell, and I'm more than willing to wait.
The trend being you waited almost 2 years after the initial release to buy in?

If SF5 did that (and it has, SF5,season pass 1 and 2 were all on sale last week for 40 dollars) you'd buy in too right?

Your argument is super flawed, we're just over 1 year of the initial release.

Being patched next update or FM value significantly reduced.

Naw. We're just seeing a pretty steady increase of skins that are pay only.

JusDoIt

Guessing playing online and leveling character in addition to op

Basically this. I guess I play on average three hours a week. Sometimes it's more like two, sometimes it's more like five. Most of my sessions are a few sets online. But some sessions I'll do trials, or run through a story mode or whatever.

I've done most things in the game this way, except Hard and Extreme Survival. I don't bother trying to beat them. Even with Normal Survival I've only completed it with like three characters. I think I've done Easy Survival with the whole cast so far tho.

All that shit plus the bonuses and FM Missions Capcom throws at us adds up. I wager you can play the game for an hour a week and still afford all the DLC characters if you maximize that time.

Spman2099

Honestly that still sounds like a lot of work. The kind of work you'd need to put into a free mobile game, except it's for a game you bought. Hard pass for me.

Man, so much work... playing the game... to get extra characters.

So unreasonable.

CAPCOM? More like StealAllYourMoneyAndTimeCOM!

Raw64life

The trend being you waited almost 2 years after the initial release to buy in?

If SF5 did that (and it has, SF5,season pass 1 and 2 were all on sale last week for 40 dollars) you'd buy in too right?

Your argument is super flawed, we're just over 1 year of the initial release.

TIL that 10 to 12 months is "almost 2 years" and 17 months is "just over 1 year". Good to know.

gelf

Did anybody say that playing arcade mode on hard 24 times to unlock Seth in SFIV was hard work?
Unlike survival I actually like playing arcade mode..so it didn't feel like hard work to me. But really unlocking Seth was never a goal I just got to it naturally as beating arcade mode with every character is something I'd do anyway.

Raitaro

On your PC or phone go to either live.capcomprotour.com or live.eleague.com and connect to your PSN account. Once that's done, you basically have to retweet tweets from these pages, share FB links, vote in polls, and watch the stream for an hour. All very easy stuff.

Thank you for the explanation. To someone like me who rarely tweets or uses facebook this sounds like a few too many social media hoops to jump through honestly but perhaps I'll give it a shot sometime.

Thank you for the explanation. To someone like me who rarely tweets or uses facebook this sounds like a few too many social media hoops to jump through honestly but perhaps I'll give it a shot sometime.
From what I remember, I believe watching the stream gave bigger amounts than the social media stuff.

ArjanN

With Abigail, there are currently ten DLC characters. Using your method you can only buy little more than half of the DLC characters. Even if you do all the weekly's, at 6500 thats 52 x 6500 = 338000 FM. A whopping 3 DLC characters for a years work. This is free to play MMO level of shitty grind.

If by "A year's work" you mean: log in for 5 minutes tops once a week, sure.

Shadoken

Play online to get FM
- "WAaaaah the online bullies beat me up"

Ok then play these offline modes to earn FM
- " Its too boring to play and I cant play the game for just an hour a week to unlock a new character that comes every fkin 2 months"

Ok then here watch this SFV Stream to earn FM
- " This game is too boring to watch"

If you genuinely dont enjoy the game at all , then why bash the FM system? Its one of the few things in the game thats actually well done.

ironmang

If by "A year's work" you mean: log in for 5 minutes tops once a week, sure.

Isn't one of the missions this week to win 10 casual matches? lol

Play online to get FM

I don't think it'd be a problem if you got more for ranked matches. Like 250 win/100 loss or something like that. As it is now purely on FM from matches it takes 2,000 wins to get 1 DLC character.

ironmang

I was able to do that in an hour, but I suppose it all depends on who you get matched up with.

Ya was just pointing out some people here are pretty far off on their time estimates. 10 minutes for normal survival and 5 minutes max for weekly missions is kind of silly. Or the guy above who made it sound like he got 1.5 million fight money from just 20 minutes per day of matchmaking. It's not uncommon for it to take me 5 minutes just to go from main menu -> find opponent -> play 1 match win or lose. Someone can like the FM system and not be misleading.

Murdamonk

Isn't one of the missions this week to win 10 casual matches? lol

That is an extra mission, but the main mission for the 5k is the one from Dhalsim story where you have to beat R.Mika which should take you not even 2 minutes. The CPU is pretty useless in story mode.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The one downfall to this plan is that survival mode does suck. Normal and up are terrible because of dozens of fights against brainless opponents the suddenly a very hard one at the end that may one-and-done you. Then you start over from scratch.

It would be much better if the game had a conventional arcade mode with perhaps 10 fights, and there was a daily rotating FM challenge to play through it with a specific character.

My criticisms of the FM economy in the game have been that it's awkwardly designed and balanced. Too little FM for playing regular matches, and weird timing on the revolving missions (a few days, or five days instead of true dailies or weeklies).

Giolon

While the OP makes a lot of good points for how to make Fight Money, let's not pretend that Normal Survival Mode is easy.

Play online to get FM

Ok then play these offline modes to earn FM
- " Its too boring to play and I cant play the game for just an hour a week to unlock a new character that comes every fkin 2 months"

Ok then here watch this SFV Stream to earn FM
- " This game is too boring to watch"

If you genuinely dont enjoy the game at all , then why bash the FM system? Its one of the few things in the game thats actually well done.

It's not people's fault that all the single player shit sucks balls.

Cool thread, I haven't purchased anything since launch, got like 800K FM on one account and 300K on the other. Can try out all characters and still have plenty money left over.

I really only purchase Capcom stuff to donate to the E-league. Unless you want EVERY released character and stage, it's pretty easy to get a bunch of FM stocked in the game.

While the OP makes a lot of good points for how to make Fight Money, let's not pretend that Normal Survival Mode is easy.
Normal survival is easy? It just takes a bit to do it with every character.

The crazy hard AI doesn't turn on in normal survival, starts in hard, and extreme is just crazy, I did it with the DP exploit lol...

Giolon

That's great that some of you are super pros, but the AI on the last 2 or 3 fights (Necalli & Bison esp) are pretty damn hard. I can only beat them with my top two characters, and even then probably less than 25% of the time.

ironmang

That is an extra mission, but the main mission for the 5k is the one from Dhalsim story where you have to beat R.Mika which should take you not even 2 minutes. The CPU is pretty useless in story mode.

Even still, it takes longer than "5 minutes tops" to complete all the missions. It's not like people go from main menu to 300 seconds later being done with all of them. Just like with the 10 minute normal survival. That's 3 wins per minute not counting loading times or upgrades lol. Or even failed attempts which will probably happen at some point if you're doing the whole cast.

Mr Rivuz

I hate it. You can play completely brain dead for most of it, then on 30th fight with Bison there is this huge spike in difficulty and if you lose you have to go back to brain dead fighting for 15/20 minutes.
I've completed it with a few character but i really hate Survival Mode.

FSLink

Banned
You just have to find an anti-AI move.

The CPU gets walks into by Rashid's Eagle Spike all day, for example.

I don't think every character has a move like this.

Plus it is kinda silly on principle to have to exploit the AI to beat Normal mode. Capcom should still change the difficulty scaling.

It was pretty dumb that there was videos of Infiltration last year getting destroyed by Survival Mode and he was #1 at the time.

Ovid

I paid $15 for this game in November. I played it maybe five times.

I'm willing to put in the work if I am able to unlock EVERYTHING this game has to offer.

Why are certain thing still off-limits if I don't buy a Pass?

Rymuth

That's great that some of you are super pros, but the AI on the last 2 or 3 fights (Necalli & Bison esp) are pretty damn hard. I can only beat them with my top two characters, and even then probably less than 25% of the time.

I beat it by jump HK+Crouch HK on every character, over and over. Am I classified as a pro or a super genius? (Except Dhalsim, I just spammed (standing) HK and crouch HP

One thing that helps is picking Defense Buffs over Attack Buffs. Gives you more chances if you screw up.

Pompadour

I rarely tweet or use Facebook but it's really just clicking on the links on the UI and then deleting your tweets and shares a second later so you don't annoy people on your feed. It's all automatic so once you click on the respective link you get the FM.

I'm willing to put in the work if I am able to unlock EVERYTHING this game has to offer.

Because the dev team doesn't work for free.

And it's only the costumes anyway.

Pompadour

There's a ton of DLC. They clarify better by calling them Character Passes but they really only have the DLC characters and their Battle Costumes.

And you can't unlock everything. Premium costumes and the CPT packs cost real money alone. Some costumes and everything else is earnable.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Even still, it takes longer than "5 minutes tops" to complete all the missions. It's not like people go from main menu to 300 seconds later being done with all of them. Just like with the 10 minute normal survival. That's 3 wins per minute not counting loading times or upgrades lol. Or even failed attempts which will probably happen at some point if you're doing the whole cast.

Look, the "win 10 casual or ranked" missions are outliers in terms of the time they require, but guess what? They pay out 3000 and 5000 FM respectively, which is 3 - 5x times the typical 1000FM weekly mission that they replace.

And if playing casual matches is too much of a grind then stop playing SFV, stop thinking about it, and stop complaining about it.

ironmang

Look, the "win 10 casual or ranked" missions are outliers in terms of the time they require, but guess what? They pay out 3000 and 5000 FM respectively, which is 3 - 5x times the typical 1000FM weekly mission that they replace.

And if playing casual matches is too much of a grind then stop playing SFV, stop thinking about it, and stop complaining about it.

Huh? We're past the casual mission part. I just pointed out that it doesn't fit in the "5 minutes tops" statement that guy made. Even without it they still take longer than 5 minutes lol.

And I didn't say it was too much of a grind. I'm just responding to misleading information. If you can't handle it then add me to ignore.

The sense of entitlement in this thread is insane.

It's real simple. On release day make a cost/value judgement. If what is included on day 1 does not equal 60 bucks worth of value to you...Do. Not. Buy. It.

Simply wait. At some point the cost will lower to a point where you might feel it's worth it to you. Or not.

But thinking that you are entitled to every piece subsequent piece of DLC, and complaining about a game where it's possible to earn much of that content for free, is a waste of time.

Mesoian

TIL that 10 to 12 months is "almost 2 years" and 17 months is "just over 1 year". Good to know.

My point is, if the value proposition is only worth it to you when a greatest hits version comes out at a reduced price, then SF5 is perfect for you as you can have all the game and all the paid DLC for 40 dollars. The game has been on deep discount multiple times this year. It makes no sense to complain about that the only thing differentiating SF5 from those other games is the lack of an all inclusive physical release.

I literally did this week's missions in 20 minutes. I knocked out the 3000 FM challenge while doing the 5000FM challenge using the fight request system.

It was literally the minimal amount of effect. I do not understand why people are upset about this.

Raitaro

I rarely tweet or use Facebook but it's really just clicking on the links on the UI and then deleting your tweets and shares a second later so you don't annoy people on your feed. It's all automatic so once you click on the respective link you get the FM.

Got ya; that doesn't sound too bad indeed.

ironmang

I literally did this week's missions in 20 minutes. I knocked out the 3000 FM challenge while doing the 5000FM challenge using the fight request system.

It was literally the minimal amount of effect. I do not understand why people are upset about this.

So you started at the main menu and 20 minutes later you won 10 casual matches? In addition to the others. I call bullshit lol.

And ya 20 minutes is more than 5 minutes by a lot. Some might say 4x as much.

sephi22

Because developers gotta eat and they can't continue to make new content if they let you get everything for free in a game you paid $15 for last November

Uh... The 5000FM challenge was to complete Dhalsim story mode. You found 10 casual matches using fight request before you could kill 2 braindead cpu opponents at the lowest difficulty setting with full meter?

bumpkin

Subscribed for later reference.

I've barely played this game, and have been hoarding FM as much as humanly possible in case stuff I wanted came down the pipeline. It still irks me that they also locked stages with FM. The costumes being locked is a little obnoxious, but not as much as the stages.

Daouzin

First time I've come across this thread. OP is great. Might actually jump back in this weekend and give SFV another go.

Devil

The one downfall to this plan is that survival mode does suck. Normal and up are terrible because of dozens of fights against brainless opponents the suddenly a very hard one at the end that may one-and-done you. Then you start over from scratch.

It would be much better if the game had a conventional arcade mode with perhaps 10 fights, and there was a daily rotating FM challenge to play through it with a specific character.

My criticisms of the FM economy in the game have been that it's awkwardly designed and balanced. Too little FM for playing regular matches, and weird timing on the revolving missions (a few days, or five days instead of true dailies or weeklies).

I only finished easy survival mode with every character and normal with like 3 characters. Still bought every S2 characterbso far, one stage and have 560k FM in the bank. Doing the tedious stuff like survival isn't even necessary to earn more than enough for a whole season.

The sense of entitlement in this thread is insane.

It's real simple. On release day make a cost/value judgement. If what is included on day 1 does not equal 60 bucks worth of value to you...Do. Not. Buy. It.

Simply wait. At some point the cost will lower to a point where you might feel it's worth it to you. Or not.

But thinking that you are entitled to every piece subsequent piece of DLC, and complaining about a game where it's possible to earn much of that content for free, is a waste of time.

Entitlement, lol.

SFV was sorely lacking in content at launch and the DLC pricing is well, well beyond IV's pricing.

Yeah, fight money existing is a good thing, but earning fight money is also essentially a "here, do these incredibly boring modes (survival) for hours on end to earn some of the dlc for free" monkey's paw. You can do it but it's a total unfun grind in a game with barely any single player content to begin with. And they even locked basic-ass colours behind that grind.

They charged $60 for an early access game. People are allowed to feel burned by that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This would all be so much more meaningful if:

• Stages, Costumes and colors didn't cost so much. They're at an odd premium that makes them seem as worthy as a character, and that's just off. Especially when not only do we have full new stages, but also simple color mutations (which could have been "round 3" versions anyway).
  • Fight money of SOME AMOUNT could be earned in the truest way to play: Local VS.
  • Give multiple unlock methods for items. Make the Story Costume either directly purchasable, or freely given once you real character lvl 30 or something. Unlock alt colors of stages once you've fought X amount of matches on the primary version, and so on.
  • Weekly or monthly events lead to something free, like "Fight 10 online matches a week for 4 weeks to get your choice of stage, free!" Even just offing random colors as drops for certain milestone would assist in chipping away at the mountain of items.
  • Have some more Fight Money and Real Money sales. Everything has a really stagnant price so far, and old costumes shouldn't be contending with my desire to buy new ones.

As it is right now, I only get awards of any type when I play it's boring SP modes (which the AI is not made well enough to make such fun), or I play online against flowcharts and bandwagoners. Even Injustice 2 respects the fact I like to play local VS, by giving both players some gold and EXP. SFV treats local play so bad, it's almost like you're being punished by spending an hour sparring offline. You can't even earn towards weekly challenges playing it. Ehy can I earn stuff in training mode, on occasion, but never in VS?

If it were more like Killer Instinct, where earning the character clearly earned their stage, music, and the chance to start earning their cosmetic doodads, then fine. But so much stuff is piecemeal in SFV, that it makes the mountain to earn stuff seem almost insurmountable in a way.

There's few games where a straight character purchase feels like it gets you so little. And even once you "earn" stuff like story mode battle costume, those STILL consume fight money to actually USE them. Then you have to buy elements of each costume separately... why not making earning "color 3" work across all costumes for that specific character?

It's basically the worse version of this type of unlock / reward / incentive system across multiple genres and games, that I've had the pleasure to experience. Introducing challenges was a step in the right direction, but they need to think about and modify it all much more than that.

Top Bottom