• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you react to a Metroid reboot w/ a black Samus

Lady Gaia

So long as it's an engaging, well-designed Metroid game it really doesn't matter to me what story they're telling or how they evolve or reinvent Samus. Then again, I thought Other M was an interesting character exploration so clearly I don't always represent the fan base.

NahaNago

Just make a new character or spin off in that universe. Stop changing characters that have already been established . Create new ones.

stilgar

No reaction at all , I mean who cares.
But Samus being a 20+ established character, that'd be a weird choice. Better create a new ambitious licence with a black woman as main character.

LordKasual

Banned
Yes over two thousand hours within the series proper, two smash bros appearances, various manga appearances, various action figures, various cameos in other games, and all time people have collectively had to get to know the Samus under the mask, but let's burn all that to the ground, let's arbitrary rebrand Samus as black and spend tons of money trying to erase the previous Samus, all to appease Neogaf, because that's what Nintendo wants to do is take a series that already doesn't sell well and make what little brand awareness it has even more confusing, as opposed to just making a new character to star alongside Samus.

That's a lot of words for "black people don't sell."

haha what the hell

this thread is supremely silly

Personally, I'd rather they make an all new character rather than change Samus. We do need more representation for minorities in games and other media, though.

LordKasual

Banned
But what does he mean by "black" here?

the universally accepted definition by everyone on earth, of course

rSpcN0g.png

try and keep up

Little Mons†er;237481872 said:
But it'd be a reboot of the franchise

So Samus would be re-established

It would be the same as changing Blade (Wesley Snipes) into a white person.
Even if it was a reboot.
It would not go over well at all.

I'd rather have a brand new character who is a friend of Samus.
Make her about 19 years old and less jaded than Samus.

Just don't replace Samus.

I'm fine with anything that results in a new Metroid. Samus is in a suit for most of the game so it doesn't matter what she is, besides in Other M though but we don't talk about that ( and end of zero mission I guess)..

Peltz

It wouldn't have any affect on me at all. The color of Samus's skin has nothing to do with why I play Metroid.

As long as the game is good, (or even if it's not) I don't care

haha what the hell

this thread is supremely silly

It's Neogaf bro.
latest

Marvel created a Black/Hispanic Spider-Man and he's even better than the original. Bring on Black Samus!
"Samus" Is her actual name, it's not a alter ego like "Spider-Man" so the equivalent to this would be a character in the future of the series being black and wearing the Varia Suit, but not being Samus.

Andrin

I wouldn't mind. It'd be preferable if Nintendo made a brand new IP with a black main character, but it's not like her whiteness is what makes Samus interesting as a character. Though why not change a character who doesn't spend 95%+ of her screen time inside a bulky suit first? Playing as a black Link or Zelda would be rather cool.

Like, out of curiosity, if the race of the main 30 year old protagonist has no effect on the gameplay, and thus doesn't matter, why does 4K resolution matter on any game anywhere?

I'm not saying anyone in this thread particularly is for or is against anything, but I find the notion that things like the design of the main character of a series not mattering, because it doesn't effect the gameplay, just silly. I mean you could replace Crash Bandicoot with a crate, and have the gameplay be exactly the same, but it wouldn't really be "Crash Bandicoot" because the experience is no longer the same at all.

Skittles

It would be the same as changing Blade (Wesley Snipes) into a white person.
Even if it was a reboot.
It would not go over well at all.

I'd rather have a brand new character who is a friend of Samus.
Make her about 19 years old and less jaded than Samus.

Just don't replace Samus.
You're trying to equate whitewashing with expanding diversity in games?

Like, out of curiosity, if the race of the main 30 year old protagonist has no effect on the gameplay, and thus doesn't matter, why does 4K resolution matter on any game anywhere?

I'm not saying anyone in this thread particularly is for or is against anything, but I find the notion that things like the design of the main character of a series not mattering, because it doesn't effect the gameplay, just silly. I mean you could replace Crash Bandicoot with a crate, and have the gameplay be exactly the same, but it wouldn't really be "Crash Bandicoot" because the experience is no longer the same at all.
I'm not really sure where you're going with that false equivalency, but why does her race changing matter when her out of suit design changes with nearly every game she's in? She has hardly has an established visual identity outside of the suit so it shouldn't matter.

I wouldn't mind. It'd be preferable if Nintendo made a brand new IP with a black main character, but it's not like her whiteness is what makes Samus interesting as a character. Though why not change a character who doesn't spend 95%+ of her screen time inside a bulky suit first? Playing as a black Link or Zelda would be rather cool.
They could very easily have a black link, but they don't have the balls to do it.

I'm not really sure where you're going with that false equivalency, but why does her race changing matter when her out of suit design changes with nearly every game she's in? She has hardly has an established visual identity outside of the suit so it shouldn't matter.
She's been a blonde, white, female since her conception. How is that not an established design? Seriously, unless you actually want to argue that different tones in art contribute to the character "changing" but that'd just be silly. Also, yeah, the Varia Suit sometimes having spikes on the knees and sometimes not is hardly as massive of a change as you're trying to make it out to be.

Also, maybe they just don't want to change Link, ya ever think of that?
Oh and this is just hypocritical. If this thread has taught me anything it's that "if it's a reboot, it doesn't matter what they do" (ignoring all the video game reboots that didn't change the established character) and yet this hypothetical is "white-washing" while changing Samus to black or Link to a girl is "diversity." Since when did diversity in gaming become a dogma, where it needs to happen no matter the cost? Seriously, and since no one's provided a answer as to why a new separate character can't work just as well I'll ask again; why does "diversity" always have to come at the cost of something? Why can't "diversity" in games be through a diverse cast that includes the original MC with its original race?

wildfire

Banned
Is there any argument for why retconning Samus as black would be preferable to introducing a new black lady who takes over the armour?

Is there any reason once we moved past the "bit" eras Samus facial look has changed significantly over the years?

Whether or not this move would be a retcon is the less important question. It's more important to clarify why you think it drastically changes a character to modify a skin tone as well as facial features.

Is there any reason once we moved past the "bit" eras Samus facial look has changed significantly over the years?

Whether or not this move would be a retcon is the less important question. It's more important to clarify why you think it drastically changes a character to modify a skin tone as well as facial features.

It's almost as if some of those games had different art styles...oh wait that's exactly the case.
But clearly this is somehow a huge change:

Super Metroid:
Smguidepg7.jpg

Other: M:
Samus_Aran.jpg

I mean hell look at that a whole different part in the direction of the hair, Nintendo better get started on that Black Samus! :p

Dekutulla

Honestly people say stuff about fans not complaining about Samus' previous changes because she was still white, but like

do none of you remember how pissed people got at Samus having a mole in other m? like, it was ludicrous levels of salt, over a dot

Is there lore reason why Samus has to be white and can't be any other skin colour?

I've never played a Metroid game other than Prime so I got no idea lol

Is there a lore reason as to why Slade has to be black. I've never watched a Blade movie, but I'm just curious.

EDIT: lol I meant Blade, I really don't know movies. :p

Is there lore reason why Samus has to be white and can't be any other skin colour?

I've never played a Metroid game other than Prime so I got no idea lol

Has nothing to do with lore, or her background...of which she really has none. She's an automaton, a glorified android that must somehow maintain her "ethnicity" to Metroid traditionalists. The ground argument of this 1,000-reply thread can be summarized to one point: if she ain't White, it ain't right.

Has nothing to do with lore, or her background...of which she really has none. She's an automaton, a glorified android that must somehow maintain her "ethnicity" to Metroid traditionalists. The ground argument of this 1,000-reply thread can be summarized to one point: if she ain't White, it ain't right.
Explain to me why this mentality is wrong. I mean I'd be defending her all the same if she was originally made as black, but she wasn't, she's white and has been white since day one. Now, you could argue that there's no lore reason for Samus to be white, but I could just as well argue that there's no reason for Anthony in Other: M to be Black, or for Crash Bandicoot to be orange.
Lore-wise, Samus shouldn't look as human as she does. Our lady is part bird (Chozo).
A quick google search tells me that she was born 100% human, and was later infused with Chozo DNA, meaning that since we haven't seen any Chozo like look to her externally, that she should actually look as human as she does. :I
Trade ya.
No thanks, Anthony is too forgettable.
Blade's bi-racial.
Like I said, I don't know movies. Still I find it a bit hypocritical to say that because there's no lore reason that explicably states that she must be white that it's suddenly ok to change her. I don't even see how it being a potential reboot somehow makes it any better, as a reboot is still the same franchise and it being Nintendo would be used to sell or market past Metroid games, like the ones on the Virtual Console, much in the same way the Tomb Raider reboot probably introduced people to old Tomb Raider games. Thus why change her race and have that massive divide in designs between the reboot and past games that Nintendo would still be trying to make money off of, when you could do like plenty of other video game reboots and keep the main character the same?

Plus, like how many actual characters actually have a lore reason for being the way they are? I mean Mario doesn't really have much of a lore reason for being Italian bar the real person he's based off of, and Sonic doesn't have much of a lore reason to be a Hedgehog. In fact, it's even more ridiculous when it comes to race as a character is typically only going to have a reason to be a certain race if and only if race as a concept is a major facet of the universe the character is in.

The Adder

Banned
Explain to me why this mentality is wrong. I mean I'd be defending her all the same if she was originally made as black, but she wasn't, she's white and has been white since day one. Now, you could argue that there's no lore reason for Samus to be white, but I could just as well argue that there's no reason for Anthony in Other: M to be Black, or for Crash Bandicoot to be orange.

Trade ya.

Is there a lore reason as to why Slade has to be black. I've never watched a Blade movie, but I'm just curious.

EDIT: lol I meant Blade, I really don't know movies. :p

Blade's bi-racial.

Much like in comics I'd honestly just think it was rather lazy. Give me new and interesting characters of different races and genders, Samus is as blank a slate as they come.

Because this is video games, an amalgamation of ART and tech. Caricatures like Samus Aran and Pac-Man with no human personality or identifiable ethnic backdrop, who operate as mere avatars, can be subjected to various artistic interpretations without closet racists and perservists condemning the notion and immediately branding these characters as something more in the guise of "30 years she looked this way bla bla bla" simply to validate their conservative positions.

But this is a pointless debate as Nintendo will never entertain the notion, but at least they have valid excuses as to why they'd be vehemently against the idea, which is more than I can say for some of the Metroid traditionlists in this thread. The ultimate merit of this discussion, however, is that it reveals to me there's a long way to go before we can be rid of the closet racists that still plague the VG community.

Yeah, I'm gonna echo the opinion of most sane people and say introduce a new character and don't retrofit a character with 25 years of history as a different race for what amounts to a hamfisted attempt at diversity.

It's not like Link where different races/genders would be ok because each Link is a different person, Samus has always been the same person across every game. It'd be like if Mario was suddenly Maria and it was Super Maria Sisters. There'd be no reason for it to happen, and the drastically different look of the character would just make recognition of the series that much more difficult.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Because this is video games, an amalgamation of ART and tech. Caricatures like Samus Aran and Pac-Man with no human personality or identifiable ethnic backdrop, who operate as mere avatars, can be subjected to various artistic interpretations without closet racists and perservists condemning the notion and immediately branding these characters as something more in the guise of "30 years she looked this way bla bla bla" simply to validate their conservative positions.

But this is a pointless debate as Nintendo will never entertain the notion, but at least they have valid excuses as to why they'd be vehemently against the idea, which is more than I can say for some of the Metroid traditionlists in this thread. The ultimate merit of this discussion, however, is that it reveals to me there's a long way to go before we can be rid of the closet racists that still plague the VG community.

The difference is Samus, especially in her most recent games, isn't some "caricature" or cartoony figure like Pacman, she's clearly meant to look at least somewhat like an actual human being. Changing the race of an established character who's not meant to be a self-insert or a generic playermodel makes as much sense as changing their gender.

I'm sure you'd agree that if Nintendo decided to make Samus a male after 25 years of her being female, they'd be better off introducing a new character rather than changing an old one. The same goes for her race.

To me this just sounds like "Anyone who doesn't agree with this radical nonsensical change to an established character, I get to call a racist to make myself feel more self-righteous." "Art" has nothing to do with it.

atbigelow

A quick google search tells me that she was born 100% human, and was later infused with Chozo DNA, meaning that since we haven't seen any Chozo like look to her externally, that she should actually look as human as she does. :I

Not that the series is aiming for realism or anything (DIE IN FIRE TO SEEK MALE PERMISSION), but it was more that if they wanted her to look more alien, they have a great reason to. Spiderman also looks very human and is very not. It's one of those situations.

I'd rather Samus be a bit more alien, TBH. Chozo don't look human, so it'd be neat if some of that bled over to her.

Top Bottom