• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC reveals 5-inch, 1080p (440ppi) "HTC J Butterfly" in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezan

Apparently it has a 2500 mAh battery. I believe that is the same size as the first Galaxy Note. The first note also had a larger screen at 5.3", while this phone has a 5", but this one has a higher resolution. Assuming its 2500 mAh though, I'm not so sure the battery life is going to be all that bad.

Note has shit battery life.

What do people do on their phones to get excited about new releases? I imagine we

• Text
  • Call
  • Check email
  • Listen to audio
  • Take pictures

All of that could be done comfortably with a phone from 2-3 years ago, and yet prices remain high (arguably have got higher in the last few years), the hardware specs increase as well as the hype. I swear to God there are people here on GAF who have upgraded from the 4, to the 4s, to the 5 and will upgrade next year - I mean, seriously, why do you need a Quad Core and 2GB of RAM to do the same things you've already been doing?

What factors decide you getting a new phone?

For me, its only when my current one breaks down.

nib95

Banned
What do people do on their phones to get excited about new releases? I imagine we

• Text
  • Call
  • Check email
  • Listen to audio
  • Take pictures

All of that could be done comfortably with a phone from 2-3 years ago, and yet prices remain high (arguably have got higher in the last few years), the hardware specs increase - I mean, seriously, why do you need a Quad Core and 2GB of RAM to do the same things you've already been doing?

Well, hardware spec increases actually speed up everything, including web browsing, games, apps and all the rest. So yea, they are important. Add to that they allow for new features, like multitasking, pop in video, video preview thumbnails, split screen twin application running and stuff like that. If it was hardware for the sake of hardware, I'd agree it would be pointless, but each cycle software is being updated to make use of the improved hardware, so it's all good. My life is certainly more convenient and easy as a result of these innovations and additions.

Even minor things like Smart Stay, or Siri/Google Now etc.

yeah but note 3 has 3100 mAh and has only 720p screen this phone has 1080 screen with 2100mAH battery

Well, another report says 2500mAh. Lets wait and see. It might be highly optimised.

Somnid

Technology advances, whether the increases/benefits lessen in proportion to years prior or not. Deal with it. The entire world isn't going to stop pressing forward on screen technology just because you don't feel the benefits are good enough anymore. And I'm sure HTC doesn't care what the 'idea' behind "Retina" is either so, I'm not sure what you are looking to discuss here.

As for who cares? Well.... read this thread, we do.

I'm not saying don't make things better, I'm saying let's understand why this is a stupid thing to base a product around. And the people who care, care because they can compare numbers and win, not because it means this will be a great product.

"We have mathematically established a significant milestone..." By "we", you really mean "Steve Jobs".

Whether or not you choose "retina" or "high dpi" and who came up with it is irrelevant. This is math and there's a meaning to it.

• Text
  • Call
  • Check email
  • Listen to audio
  • Take pictures

All of that could be done comfortably with a phone from 2-3 years ago, and yet prices remain high (arguably have got higher in the last few years), the hardware specs increase as well as the hype. I swear to God there are people here on GAF who have upgraded from the 4, to the 4s, to the 5 and will upgrade next year - I mean, seriously, why do you need a Quad Core and 2GB of RAM to do the same things you've already been doing?

It does get a bit silly when people are upgrading on a yearly basis, or even bi-yearly one. I personally use my phone mostly for maps, texting, calls, checking my email, checking my calendar, writing down notes, and listening to podcasts. Watching a youtube or video on it isn't really all that when I could just go to the nearest computer do to it at a higher resolution/bigger screen (and if there's no computer nearby, I don't think I really need to watch a video that badly :p).

I guess a big feature that does rely on specs is games, but how many games are out there (that are good) which require the latest hardware?

Seriously though, do you guys think that your S3 will be "too slow" or "too weak" when it comes to the killer-apps of 2014-15?
I'm guessing that it'll have more than enough power to keep things speedy, and to handle complex software, for at least 4-5 years.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Don't know may be i am using a faulty set then.Also i think there is a diff between international version and us one
I have the international one. Yours is jacked up, in some way. Go to the Android thread and post your battery stats. We can help.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is most exciting for its implications with regards to the Rift Occulus. The wide availability of a 5" 1080p screen will be huge.

Awesome phone. Too bad HTC still does that stupid bootloader shit, the battery most likely can't be replaced, and HTC phones have horrible radio antennas in them. Gotta see what they do with the Galaxy S4. Don't know if I'll ever go back to HTC again.

Sh1ner

This is most exciting for its implications with regards to the Rift Occulus. The wide availability of a 5" 1080p screen will be huge.

Unfortunately its a different kind of screen tech. According to Palmer Lucky the screen tech is from ultrabooks that update the entire screen at once instead of updating per row of pixels at a time.

Hopefully soon though. Also the screen has to be 1080p per eye. Which means the resolution has to be twice as much unless he incorporates 2 screens into the consumer rift.

Can't wait to get my hands on one.

I will be upgrading from a Nexus S to either the Global Equivalent of this or Samsung's variant on these specs. I hope we finally get pure android with a customisation section for skins. I might just flash it to CM10 anyhow as I don't like sense or touch wiz really.

JonnyBrad

Now they have the tech I wish someone would make a fucking 4" android phone with 440 PPI. I have a 7 inch tablet I don't want anything bigger than an iphone 4s as my phone.

I realise they won't do this as these enormous phones allow for huge batteries that the late modems won't drain I'm 2 Hrs but I really want one!

Shittier battery than the One X+ which has a smaller screen. HTC makes no sense. The end.

Also still too big. In fact this is the worst size. At least the Note is more in the phablet category. This phone is stuck in no mans land.

nib95

Banned
Now they have the tech I wish someone would make a fucking 4" android phone with 440 PPI. I have a 7 inch tablet I don't want anything bigger than an iphone 4s as my phone.

I realise they won't do this as these enormous phones allow for huge batteries that the late modems won't drain I'm 2 Hrs but I really want one!

Why on Earth would you need a 4" phone with such a high ppi when the current ppi on such screens is high enough that you can't make out any pixels, even if you have your face to the screen? Seems sort of pointless no?

With a 5" screen it's a bit different, because the ppi using 720p is just shy of retina balance (sub 300ppi). In other words, pixels are still (only just) visible on close pixel peeping inspection when you have 720p on a 5" screen. So it makes some sense to bump up to 1080p. But 1080p on a 4" screen? Absolutely worthless.

DieH@rd

Banned
Unfortunately its a different kind of screen tech. According to Palmer Lucky the screen tech is from ultrabooks that update the entire screen at once instead of updating per row of pixels at a time.

Hopefully soon though. Also the screen has to be 1080p per eye. Which means the resolution has to be twice as much unless he incorporates 2 screens into the consumer rift.

Can't wait to get my hands on one.

I will be upgrading from a Nexus S to either the Global Equivalent of this or Samsung's variant on these specs. I hope we finally get pure android with a customisation section for skins. I might just flash it to CM10 anyhow as I don't like sense or touch wiz really.

God please no, at least not for 1st consumer version. Everybody claims that for good VR experience you MUST have smooth 60fps gameplay, and everything below that will cause bad experience. And besides, 1080p panel has much more pixels than the current one in OR devkits. It will be fine.

felipeko

Shittier battery than the One X+ which has a smaller screen. HTC makes no sense. The end.
About that...
According to Kilburn, HTC’s consumer research shows people prefer thin smartphones — between 8 mm and 10 mm thick — as opposed to thicker devices with longer battery life.

I really think they (all manufacturers, including Apple) are taking this too far. We already have diminishing returns on thickness, now we want big batteries.

JonnyBrad

Why on Earth would you need a 4" phone with such a high ppi when the current ppi on such screens is high enough that you can't make out any pixels, even if you have your face to the screen? Seems sort of pointless no?

With a 5" screen it's a bit different, because the ppi using 720p is just shy of retina balance (sub 300ppi). In other words, pixels are still (only just) visible on close pixel peeping inspection when you have 720p on a 5" screen. So it makes some sense to bump up to 1080p. But 1080p on a 4" screen? Absolutely worthless.

I didn't say i wanted 1080p on 4" i said i wanted 440ppi. 1080p at 4" would be something like 550ppi.

Hell even a 720p 4" would be great as that is about 360ppi. Clearly the technology is there but people just want to build bigger and bigger screens which is what i'm complaining about.

RS4-

People just mad because everything isn't "iphone-ish" or championed by Jobs.

Phone needs to be a bit thicker to hold a bigger battery.

Maiar_m

This debate needs a "where do you keep your smartphone" thread, with pictures. It's like GAF Manshion, bulge edition.

Metal-Geo

Dayum. I can't even 'see' the pixels on my Note 2 (267ppi). Unless I stuff my face into it.

But it's cool to see technology advance like this. I mean, at 440ppi, would you even have to complain about dead pixels?

xenist

People just mad because everything isn't "iphone-ish" or championed by Jobs.

Phone needs to be a bit thicker to hold a bigger battery.

I agree. Keep your waffer thin phones. I'll gladly take a few more milmetres in exchange for more battery.

Having said that, damn! That screen makes my eyes water.

darkwing

Dayum. I can't even 'see' the pixels on my Note 2 (267ppi). Unless I stuff my face into it.

But it's cool to see technology advance like this. I mean, at 440ppi, would you even have to complain about dead pixels?

lol would you even notice a dead pixel?

Emily Chu

Banned
I am pretty sure this will debut in the US as HTC's Flagship Nexus 5

can't wait to see Samsungs or Motos though too

if they make a nexus this year that is

PaulLFC

I'm not saying don't make things better, I'm saying let's understand why this is a stupid thing to base a product around. And the people who care, care because they can compare numbers and win, not because it means this will be a great product.

Whether or not you choose "retina" or "high dpi" and who came up with it is irrelevant. This is math and there's a meaning to it.
It's not "stupid" just because you don't agree with / don't want it. The author of the original article has already posted in here and in the comments on the Verge, presumably you missed his post where he said there's a noticeable difference between this phone and the iPhone.

Sh1ner

God please no, at least not for 1st consumer version. Everybody claims that for good VR experience you MUST have smooth 60fps gameplay, and everything below that will cause bad experience. And besides, 1080p panel has much more pixels than the current one in OR devkits. It will be fine.

Yep I know man, I purposefully game at 1440 by 900 as 1080p is just too costly! I can't even game at a steady 60fps with an SSD, 5850 and an i5 at that res either in dishonoured.

I hate to succumb to hype, but in an attempt to keep people from being to upset about the delay: Imagine an HMD with a massive field of view and more pixels than 1080p per eye, wireless PC link, built in absolute head and hand/weapon/wand positioning, and native integration with some (if not all) of the major game engines, all for less than $1,000 USD. That can happen in 2013!

Quote is from Palmer Lucky, sounds like him speculating about the future dev kit. I personally don't see it happening unless they use 2 screens within rift 2.0.

nib95

Banned
I didn't say i wanted 1080p on 4" i said i wanted 440ppi. 1080p at 4" would be something like 550ppi.

Hell even a 720p 4" would be great as that is about 360ppi. Clearly the technology is there but people just want to build bigger and bigger screens which is what i'm complaining about.

Why would you want 440ppi though? Above 300-310ppi on 4" at even abnormally close viewing distances is more than sufficnet to not have visible pixels. That was the whole point of the marketing term "retina". 440ppi is excessive and unecessary. Waste of cpu/gpu effort imo.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
That is damn nice. Might make me change my mind on saying the Gnex is the biggest I will go. If the rumors are true about this being the Nexus 5 this might be my next phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom