• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive is $799, ships early April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakefoo

i'm trying to remember the details/name of a game. A video for it came out last fall, and it got shared to reddit a month ago maybe. Don't think it ever popped up here though.

It was a very clever use of roomscale, sending you through tight winding hallways for long lengths without having to use artificial locomotion. There were laser fields to dodge IIRC.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
i'm trying to remember the details/name of a game. A video for it came out last fall, and it got shared to reddit a month ago maybe. Don't think it ever popped up here though.

It was a very clever use of roomscale, sending you through tight winding hallways for long lengths without having to use artificial locomotion. There were laser fields to dodge IIRC.

Unseen diplomacy ?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KirQtdsG5yE

T.O.P

Banned

Brookhaven intrigues me, wondering if Room Scale is a must or it's playable just by standing and turning around just extending my arms to shoot

Yeah, i'm still pretty limited on the space available to play so until the move i'll have to put up with this

FWIW, I just got an email stating that Descent Underground (prequel to the original) has full VR support for Vive and Rift 1.3 as of today:

esp4fl6.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/360950/

I bought it some time ago but have yet to play it. It looks good and so do the reviews. No idea about motion sickness but I can't imagine it would be an issue for what is essentially a space combat type game. We have a number of those (Eve, ED) and motion sickness does not seem to be an issue since the ship you're inside remains stable.

Wallach

FWIW, I just got an email stating that Descent Underground (prequel to the original) has full VR support for Vive and Rift 1.3 as of today:

I bought it some time ago but have yet to play it. It looks good and so do the reviews. No idea about motion sickness but I can't imagine it would be an issue for what is essentially a space combat type game. We have a number of those (Eve, ED) and motion sickness does not seem to be an issue since the ship you're inside remains stable.

Ooh, interesting. Never tried it either, will keep that in mind though.

Bsigg12

You go out a door, turn right, turn right again literally two steps later and you're somewhere else? The idea of redirection is intriguing but that seems unlikely?

It works pretty well. I did a Vive demo last year that actually showed this concept off. It was really crazy to be able to to just keep moving when done correctly.

Aussies are getting fed ex tracking numbers with the 5th delivery as delivery date. So I wouldn't expect shipping US info till Friday at earliest maybe not till next week even.

Zalusithix

Also I don't get that video at all. You literally turn right a few times and end up somewhere else. Surely your sense of locarion would tell you that shouldn't be right?
This will likely hinge on the user's spacial awareness. Some people have next to no sense of direction and will easily be fooled. Others can map things out quite clearly in their head even at large distances. The later type will probably have varying degrees of cognitive dissonance going on when exposed to a situation like that.

Krejlooc

Banned
Also I don't get that video at all. You literally turn right a few times and end up somewhere else. Surely your sense of locarion would tell you that shouldn't be right?

Our sense of location is generally shit without our eyes, and especially when your eyes are reporting something entirely different. We gain most of our sense of location from our eyes. You don't really have an innate ability to know where you are in a room.

Guys-I'm strongly considering canceling my Vive preorder before it ships (May). I was watching some Oculus videos recently, and it didn't seem like a huge enough leap above the GearVR I got for free to justify $600. After flipping through the Vive launch lineup, I don't see anything jumping out at me. I can already play some of the Oculus stuff on my Gear, and one game made me super motion sick (Dreadhalls).

So Gaf, should I just cancel my preorder, sit back, and wait a while... or should my lukewarm opinion of my GearVR along with seemingly poor first impressions of the Rift not scare me away?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Guys-I'm strongly considering canceling my Vive preorder before it ships (May). I was watching some Oculus videos recently, and it didn't seem like a huge enough leap above the GearVR I got for free to justify $600. After flipping through the Vive launch lineup, I don't see anything jumping out at me. I can already play some of the Oculus stuff on my Gear, and one game made me super motion sick (Dreadhalls).

So Gaf, should I just cancel my preorder, sit back, and wait a while... or should my lukewarm opinion of my GearVR along with seemingly poor first impressions of the Rift not scare me away?

I think you should wait one more week to see the launch impressions for Vive before cancelling it.

Room Scale is going to be a big deal, it's going to remove a large chunk of nausea issues.

Also, to be blunt, preorders may still be in high demand by that point, you can always get it and then resell it on eBay, probably for a significant increase.

Thanks for the input; I'll give it at least a week before making a decision. I'll be anxiously awaiting opinions on this from fellow Gaffers... sans system wars / purchase justification non-sense please :)

Melon Husk

Thanks for the input; I'll give it at least a week before making a decision. I'll be anxiously awaiting opinions on this from fellow Gaffers... sans system wars / purchase justification non-sense please :)

General availability won't be a problem after May. How much a month's headstart and 3 games weigh in the cup, that's up to you.

cheezcake

I'm right below the space size needed for Unseen Diplomacy. Maybe if I burn the couch?

burn it all

Me too though, I feel like I'll invest in some of those vive stand things so I can move easily between a couple of rooms for games like this. My main computer room will give me 2x3m of free space, but setting stuff up in my home theater temporarily will give me about 3.5x4.2m.

Zalusithix

Anything? If seeing games like Hover Junkers / Budget Cuts / The Gallery / Raw Data / etc don't get you excited... Then there's the more experimental/creative type things like Fantastic Contraption / Modbox / Tiltbrush, and silly inane like Job Simulator. Granted, not all of these are available right at launch, but still. If none of those experiences - experiences impossible before VR - look interesting to you, I'm not sure if VR is your thing.

Collected: from what i read, HTC has a standard return policy for the system. Unlike Oculus. If you don't like it, send it back. If you don't get "the feels", send it back. Or send it to a GAFer via the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. Or eBay it. Or Craigslist it. Someone will pay you more than you paid for it to get it sooner.

Anything? If seeing games like Hover Junkers / Budget Cuts / The Gallery / Raw Data / etc don't get you excited... Then there's the more experimental/creative type things like Fantastic Contraption / Modbox / Tiltbrush, and silly inane like Job Simulator. Granted, not all of these are available right at launch, but still. If none of those experiences - experiences impossible before VR - look interesting to you, I'm not sure if VR is your thing.

It's VR man. Gotta try it to believe for a lot of folks. People like me are taking it on faith for now. Others with tighter pockets can't be blamed if their faith shakes right now. Especially after that Giant Bomb cast.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/htc-vive/id1091173853?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Vive app now on iTunes. It's for connecting your phone via bluetooth.

/ / / / / / / / / / / \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

Vive Setup page is now live.

http://www.htcvive.com/us/setup/

And official setup videos have been released:

Vive headset setup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHz9N1J5XcM

Base Station setup and mounting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iSyH6zAN3g

SteamVR Room setup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5vEUO8uvdM&feature=youtu.be

aaaaand FIRST GLIMPSES OF VIVE HOME. WE IN SPACE BOYS:

AIYrbiO.png

vNWbpvS.png

lhjhbB9.gif

On that list, the one that I find most appealing is Budget Cuts. I'm really not trying to be critical, but a lot of the games (ex: raw data and Hover Junkers) look like great ideas in need of a full game. In other words, they appear small and tech-demo like, rather than full fledged games. I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong, since I have my PC ready to go (6700k / 980ti / 16GB) and a Vive on preorder.

elyetis

May

You can see it on the order page:

http://www.htcvive.com/de/
Actually I'm not sure people should be that confident about it. While the wording in the basket say that your pre-order will be shipped in May, the mail you receive to confirm your order can be read differently ( at least in french, so maybe it's just a bad translation ? ). It say that they will begin the deliveries in May, then say that the time of your delivery will be based on the date of your shipping advice.

Zalusithix

It's VR man. Gotta try it to believe for a lot of folks. People like me are taking it on faith for now. Others with tighter pockets can't be blamed if their faith shakes right now. Especially after that Giant Bomb cast.

The comment read more to me like the content didn't even look interesting, not that they were concerned that it might turn out not so fun in the end. I wouldn't expect somebody that was totally unconvinced about VR to have a preorder for an $800 device in the first place. Those that need to try it before they regard it as more than a screen strapped to their face, typically aren't early adopters.

Edit:
On that list, the one that I find most appealing is Budget Cuts. I'm really not trying to be critical, but a lot of the games (ex: raw data and Hover Junkers) look like great ideas in need of a full game. In other words, they appear small and tech-demo like, rather than full fledged games. I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong, since I have my PC ready to go (6700k / 980ti / 16GB) and a Vive on preorder.
I can see it potentially looking that way. Many of the things available in the near future, while I wouldn't necessarily call tech demos, certainly channel a more arcade vibe. We'll need more dev time for long full narrative type games to show up. Even then, there's a real question on whether the stuff we look for in a "full" game in traditional gaming holds for VR. That's something that'll only be answered with time. The control and fatigue differences might change our outlooks.

kinggroin

Banned

I feel ya. You want more meat on the bones of these pretty cool concepts. It'll happen.

In the meantime, accept that at the very least, you'll not have to worry about software quantity since everyone and there mom seems to be adding in VR support to their games. Until the big AAA stuff hits, you'll have plenty of smaller experiences to tide you over.

UK editor @ Destructoid:

eooA7U3.png

https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/715468439351996416

it begins.

The comment read more to me like the content didn't even look interesting, not that they were concerned that it might turn out not so fun in the end. I wouldn't expect somebody that was totally unconvinced about VR to have a preorder for an $800 device in the first place. Those that need to try it before they regard it as more than a screen strapped to their face, typically aren't early adopters.

I mean a lot of the games DO look simplistic enough to not appear to be compelling or particularly interesting at a glance or even a long watch. Like, hype has to be absorbed from how they're reacting to what they are playing because otherwise you'd just be left wondering why they're playing some of these games more than 3 minutes and 38 seconds.

kinggroin

Banned
UK editor @ Destructoid:

eooA7U3.png

https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/715468439351996416

it begins.

I mean a lot of the games DO look simplistic enough to not appear to be compelling or particularly interesting at a glance or even a long watch. Like, hype has to be absorbed from how they're reacting to what they are playing because otherwise you'd just be left wondering why they're playing some of these games more than 3 minutes and 38 seconds.

And at some point you have to ask yourself, "...maybe there's something here that I cannot grasp just from being a bystander". Especially when you have an overwhelming amount of the users playing what looks like throwaway software, for hours.

Zalusithix

And at some point you have to ask yourself, "...maybe there's something here that I cannot grasp just from being a bystander". Especially when you have an overwhelming amount of the users playing what looks like throwaway software, for hours.

I touched upon this briefly in my (late) edit, but yeah, I see VR potentially changing what simple means. Falling back to my tried and true example: Target shooting. It's something that would be incredibly boring in a traditional game in no time flat. In real life, it's something people can spend hours doing on a regular basis and have a blast every time.

Wallach

Yeah. I mean, I hope nobody is going into this expecting any amazingly refined or content rich games to be there at launch that are also done in entirely new design space. The amount of time it is going to take to build a really meaty piece of content that is also built around a very good idea and actually is figured out how to execute with tracked controllers is going to be quite a while.

Roomscale & tracked controller type games in particular are going to be a lot of proof-of-concept and experimental games for the foreseeable future. This is entirely new territory; iteration even in very well-tread design spaces still takes a fairly long time to refine, when you do it in spaces where you basically are part of the people solving new problems, it takes many times longer.

Hopefully if you are buying a Vive right now it's because you want to want to experience all the steps of progress taken and lessons learned from that iteration as they happen. That seems to me where the bulk of the value of the device lies on day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom