• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive is $799, ships early April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Going back to that UK Destructoid editor's twitter, the one Dreams-Visions posted earlier, here are a few more tweets I found interesting:

U4waCmb.png

MlmDGmJ.png

Think this one is particularly telling, if she's comfortable writing a 2.5K word review inside a headset, and the interface works well enough that it doesn't slow her down significantly.

diXXaMi.png

This is interesting.

Last time Laura talked about her experience with Vive from EGX, she loved it but she thought the experience wouldn't be possible to translate to a home experience with less space, since the demos at EGX were in an empty big space. Hopefully she has now explored this and is happy with what how it works in a smaller less controlled environment

Soi-Fong

I mean, everyone knows the score by now between sit-down VR with an xbox controller and room-scale VR with Lighthouse, right?

I'm not under NDA but it probably doesn't need spelling out.

I think "sitting-down" VR still has its place, but room scale is really another experience entirely.

I love both my kind of "Elite-type" experiences as well as just chopping a guy to pieces in Surgeon Simulator. lol

Nzyme32

I feel left out because I paid via paypal so I don't have the indirect confirmation of money being charged to judge my order's progress :p

I feel left out - because I can't afford to jump at it right now - although I can look forward to messing with it back in London soon

libertytoast

Neo Member
This is interesting.

Last time Laura talked about her experience with Vive from EGX, she loved it but she thought the experience wouldn't be possible to translate to a home experience with less space, since the demos at EGX were in an empty big space. Hopefully she has now explored this and is happy with what how it works in a smaller less controlled environment

She said something to that effect on her Twitter

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
With my Rift preorder giving no signs of showing up yet, I'm starting to consider cancelling it. Even though my Vive won't ship until May.

The one thing stopping me is the idea of missing out on Rift exclusives. But if someone reliably gets Rift games working on a Vive before my Rift shifts, that will push me over the edge to cancel.

At first I was worried about optics being much better in the Rift, but that apparently is a non issue.

I mean, everyone knows the score by now between sit-down VR with an xbox controller and room-scale VR with Lighthouse, right?

There are some holdouts/skeptics. I suspect a lot of people will realize what the rest of us have been talking about in about oh...5 days time. Give or take.

I feel left out because I paid via paypal so I don't have the indirect confirmation of money being charged to judge my order's progress :p

Same. Our real hype doesn't get to start until shipping confirmation season. :(

Just measured out my current space, and it's 4'x7' in the office that I can walk around in.

I'm so excited for this virtual future to be here so soon.

Daheza

Just a heads up everyone.

My coworker ordered the vive and they attempted to charge him this morning. Chase blocked the charge because they thought it was fraud.

He's working with chase and htc to make sure it goes through but check your statements.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

it is a slightly more complex equation than that though.

- will oculus touch bridge the gap and give effective functional parity between the two platforms? Oculus still not being clear on this even though it seems technically it should be doable, they are still talking about dual front facing setups.

- Oculus has the lions share of games with VR added due primarily to availability of devkits. If you want to play racing games there currently aren't any that are vive compatible. That could sway individual opinion towards Oculus.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just measured out my current space, and it's 4'x7' in the office that I can walk around in.

I'm so excited for this virtual future to be here so soon.

I don't think that qualifies for room scale? Probably be ok for standing though - even then you may risk hitting things on the 4' side of the area if you're reaching out.

pj

Banned
it is a slightly more complex equation than that though.

- will oculus touch bridge the gap and give effective functional parity between the two platforms? Oculus still not being clear on this even though it seems technically it should be doable, they are still talking about dual front facing setups.

- Oculus has the lions share of games with VR added due primarily to availability of devkits. If you want to play racing games there currently aren't any that are vive compatible. That could sway individual opinion towards Oculus.

How many racing games does rift have? Project cars and that mario kart ripoff?

Any non oculus funded racing game should be able to add vive support pretty easily.

bj00rn_

Banned
How many racing games does rift have? Project cars and that mario kart ripoff?

On the top of my head arguably two of some of the most important racing sims out there: Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally. None of which where the devs has planned to do Vive support.

Not planned? Really? Sources?

:(

I would think it would be hard to find sources for stuff that isn't happening.

But as a general thing, most studios seem to be tight lipped about VR stuff. Either because they don't want to over promise, or because of the bad pr it would create if they come out and say that they aren't interesting in doing something. In the end, everything is pretty much wait and see.

Mikeside

But as a general thing, most studios seem to be tight lipped about VR stuff. Either because they don't want to over promise, or because of the bad pr it would create if they come out and say that they aren't interesting in doing something. In the end, everything is pretty much wait and see.

I can live with wait and see.

I'm so annoyed about exclusive bullshit

I'm paying more than the price of a console at launch, I should be able to play everything

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
On the top of my head arguably two of some of the most important racing sims out there: Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally. None of which where the devs has planned to do Vive support.

actually Assetto Corsa said they're going to work on VR in the summer and that doesn't mean just for Rift in their latest blog update

http://www.assettocorsa.net/dev-blog-en/

By the way, let us say a few words about VR, which is an open and quite talked-about issue at the moment. As you know, Kunos Simulazioni has been supporting the Oculus Rift since the release of the very first kit, and the American company also chose Assetto Corsa for its events thanks to the immersion achieved by Assetto Corsa with its products, up to the DevKit 2. The third time around, the SDK provided by the company to support its device was radically changed, and we simply cannot update the code in Assetto Corsa every time this happens; we need to completely rewrite the dedicated rendering structure. That’s not easy or cheap, as you could probably imagine.
Although the retail version of Oculus Rift is finally available, at the moment our core team is focused on the submission and release of Assetto Corsa for consoles, which at the same time brings a huge update for the PC version with the 1.5 build thanks to the fact that part of the code is shared between the platforms. Since working on Oculus support requires us to allocate extra time and resources – because of its complexity it cannot be managed easily or in a few days – we will have to take a moment and consider when our current development schedule will allow us to do so, but realistically not before this summer. Our aim is to support VR – and not necessarily only the Oculus Rift – when we will be able to take the time and resources required.
We fully understand that people who have invested in the purchase of a VR device want to use it as much as possible, and we know that Assetto Corsa guaranteed a ton of fun with the Oculus SDK2 (that could only be better with the retail version), therefore we promise that we will take the time to evaluate the option of creating proper VR support in harmony with other tasks and priorities that we have already scheduled.

Durante

Or because they still need to operate under the terms of their Oculus co-marketing agreement until some date :p

pj

Banned

mrklaw

MrArseFace

And project cars. I'm sure most if not all will get Vive support this year. But for anyone bursting at the seams to play racing games in VR, that could be enough to make you want a rift.

I hope this is all simple 'dev kits have been available for ages' stuff and Vive versions will be coming for most games. But the current situation is heavily in favour of OR if you want your existing favourite games in VR.

Hehe, i was thinking.

This is the first time i see people happy about being charged (and heavily) for something so novel (for both the Rift and Vive).

I´s like a crazy dream.

I can´t wait to be charged too.

Zalusithix

Any dev that isn't contractually locked and outright rules out Vive support will be shooting themselves in the foot. It was never a good idea, but with the momentum shift towards the Vive, they'd be leaving more profits on the table than they would have before. So even if they weren't originally considering it, I imagine they'd be reevaluating that stance now.

Unless the Vive impressions absolutely flop, it'll take Oculus some time (until the touch controllers) to have the chance to flip public opinion around again.

UnLemon

Neo Member
Well, I was one of those Chase users that got anti-fraud declined. I was on hold with HTC for like 30 minutes but the guy was super helpful and said I'll be getting my package in two days!

Qassim

Well, I was one of those Chase users that got anti-fraud declined. I was on hold with HTC for like 30 minutes but the guy was super helpful and said I'll be getting my package in two days!

Have they since managed to charge you? We need some good news of HTC managing to retry the transaction and not delaying shipment!

I strongly recommend that everyone who paid by card should call their banks in advance and let them know the charge is coming through so that you don't get flagged. Be proactive.

Ooof, I better contact Chase and let them know. Don't want to have my Vive delayed any more than it already is.

bj00rn_

Banned
actually Assetto Corsa said they're going to work on VR in the summer and that doesn't mean just for Rift in their latest blog update

http://www.assettocorsa.net/dev-blog-en/

Kunos just a few days ago was kind of direct in saying there wasn't going to be any support for the Vive in the foreseeable future, especially because they had more important things to do (which turned out to be the console versions..)

The Dirt Rally dev was less dickish about it than Kunos and said that while they was supporting Rift there was no plans for supporting the Vive. That was 11 days ago. If they also have already changed their attitude a bit, that is great in itself. But I'd like a confirmation better.

Edit: Oh wait, did I misunderstand this thing, the Dirt Rally devs have their hands tied because of some temporary moneyhatting? Is that it?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Kunos just a few days ago was kind of direct in saying there wasn't going to be any support for the Vive in the foreseeable future, especially because they had more important things to do (which turned out to be the console versions..)

The Dirt Rally dev was less dickish about it than Kunos and said that while they was supporting Rift there was no plans for supporting the Vive. That was 11 days ago. If they also have already changed their attitude a bit, that is great in itself. But I'd like a confirmation better..

this came out after Kunos's tweets basically it was late he was reactionary, found out about OpenVR after the fact they released this in responce

I'm one of the folks that had to change credit card info from the previous pre-order (due to a compromised number) but Chase approved this charge without a problem. So, all good here.

I ordered like 5 minutes in, and haven't been charged yet. BUT! My debit card number has changed since then. Who can I call to make sure it's not being held up by that?

bj00rn_

Banned
this came out after Kunos's tweets basically it was late he was reactionary, found out about OpenVR after the fact they released this in responce

This is great news. I'm getting closer and closer to cancelling my Rift

With that said, I have nothing against Oculus, I just don't need both HMDs if the Vive ends up with good solid software support. I've kept my Rift pre-order until now because of the uncertainty.

I ordered like 5 minutes in, and haven't been charged yet. BUT! My debit card number has changed since then. Who can I call to make sure it's not being held up by that?

I thought you could change that at the HTC/Digital RIver order/store page.

Or because they still need to operate under the terms of their Oculus co-marketing agreement until some date :p

Sure, but I was thinking mostly about titles that aren't affiliated with the Oculus Store. Stuff like Euro Truck, Dirt Rally and all the other popular racing sims.

Durante

Any dev that isn't contractually locked and outright rules out Vive support will be shooting themselves in the foot. It was never a good idea, but with the momentum shift towards the Vive, they'd be leaving more profits on the table than they would have before. So even if they weren't originally considering it, I imagine they'd be reevaluating that stance now.

Unless the Vive impressions absolutely flop, it'll take Oculus some time (until the touch controllers) to have the chance to flip public opinion around again.
I agree.
Ultimately, what I believe it comes down to is that - compared to the significant effort of implementing VR support in the first place - supporting both HMDs ranges in effort required between "nothing" (with the most popular middleware engines) and "relatively little" (on a custom engine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom