• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
https://twitter.com/OwlchemyLabs/status/852181904484962304

Rick & Morty Virtual Rick-ality coming to Vive/Rift on 20th April !
C9ONXEEVYAAjsih.png

$29.99 USD

https://twitter.com/OwlchemyLabs/status/852572654418751488

cakefoo

The guys at Metanaut responded to my facebook message:

We grew up playing The Incredible Machine ourselves, and we are definitely considering adding these household items into the Ruberg gadget library in the future.

Well I downloaded and tried VRChat. The hub I loaded into was 4 people running around as short anime girls and making sexual gestures at each other. That's about what I expected.

I got to walk around Dalaran from WoW at least. That was awesome.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ooooffff, just called the Microsoft store in Corte Madera and the guy had No Idea what I was talking about. :[

I was ready to jump in the care and drive over there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hate to double post

but

I bought a dang VIVE

Hate to double post

but

I bought a dang VIVE

Nice!! Welcome to the party.

I tried out TheWaveVR. Wow it's awesome. I was saying "holy shit" out loud. I put up some music in my home, messed with the visualizer until it looked like I was in a surreal music video flying through space, and then just sat in my chair. It was fantastic. It's a shame the next show doesn't seem to be until next week. I absolutely love how musical effects can impact your vision, how immersed you feel in the music with the environments. I bet the shows are something amazing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't tried any of the rec room quests, I need to get on that.
Played the Compound Demo on steam, it's a lot of fun. The mechanical pling-sound fx when reloading the mg... CoD headshot-pling material, love it.

While it is a lot of fun and I will probably buy it when it's availabe, it's also very simpel. I know the game doesn't want to be a complex game with single player campaign... or maybe that's only my impression(?)... I would love to have a small story where I can progress through different levels towards a story goal. If it will be pure clear-the-room-and-win and nothing more... that's fine too, but I would absolutely love a small little campaign withe these mechanics and graphics.
EVERYONE should try Compound, it's a ludicrously good game even in its current alpha state for free. And a true proof of concept for the viability of hardcore VR games. It's fun, fair, and tough as nails.

However I agree with you that right now it's just a goalless get as far as you can until you die experience. The developer has claimed he wants to make it into a full featured roguelite eventually.
I've been trying to tell everyone that ;)
I believed you wholeheartedly (as I tend to do on sight), but I am just inherently put off by paying for early access. But as the free weekend was wrapping up I had just left on vacation for the week (which I just got back from) and couldn't get the game out of my damn mind. So I shelled out. Gonna unpack and then play right now.

I love how unique the three characters feel and how much personality you can put into pulling off the special moves. Just pure awesome.

cakefoo

Lucid Trips is 33% off, along with an update with new modes and tweaks. Time for me to bite.

[Climbing is now possible] You can grab nearly everything to pull yourself up. This provides a much better control over the avatar. But note that climbing is only possible if the player has enough energy. Energy can only be refilled on the ground now.

[Exploration Mode] Explore and find some gems here. More quests will come.

[New user challenge modes] Time, ground contacts, energy and arcade mode will make the user challenge more diverse and attractive.

[Longer glides] We changed the aerodynamics to enable longer glides.

[Distinguishable contrails] If you carefully observe you can now differ whether a contrail is made by you or made earlier.

[Settings] We added some setting options.

[Trigger button only] Grip button is legacy. You can use the trigger button for all interactions.

[General bugfixes & improvements] We aren't saying that there aren’t any glitches or bugs anymore ;)

sqwarlock

Got my used Vive on Thusday, got my poles and mounts Friday, started playing Saturday. Still struggling to get a good fit with my glasses on, but overall I couldn't be any more excited to have this thing in my life.

Few annoyances:
Tracking in one corner of my play area is terrible. Not sure if I need to turn my lighthouse more towards that spot or what, but no biggie.
My IPD is 56, and I feel like that's hampered my ability to get a 100% perfect picture, regardless of fitting.
I still can't quite get the headset to not put a fair bit of pressure on my cheeks, even with the top strap cradling the back of my head.
It's really hot inside the mask, and I sweat a lot. Good thing the seller included one of those faux-leather VR covers.

TL;DR the image quality isn't great, my glasses get in the way sometimes, and I overheat super easily. Don't care though, still a fantastic experience and I'm constantly blown away.

And oh yeah, I've only bought one piece of software (H3VR) and have been relying only on free games otherwise. There's some cool things out there.

DJ88

TheWaveVR is out! I've been waiting for this one for a long time.

Oh, and the Ruberg pre-alpha!

Ok everyone needs to stop what they're doing and load up TheWaveVR.

It's by far the most amazing VR experience I've tried yet.

It's basically Rec Room, at a night club in another dimension, on acid.

The DJing capabilities aren't quite there yet, but interacting with other users, the insane trippy visuals, it's all so fucking cool.

At a cost of entry of free, you have zero excuse to not be trying this. It excels at what I believe is VR's greatest strength, transporting you into the most surreal, fantasy dream worlds that would never be possible any other way.

Bought Climbey (tribalinstincts video)

Climbing can be a very fun activity in VR and I have zero problems with motionsickness/nausea. But there is room for improvement on a gigantic scale, without your feet tracked in VR it feels more like a monkey-arm flinging game. I don't even know if tracked feet would even work as well as with your arms only, because with your arms you can reach up and down in space without losing balance, you can't really do that with your feet when they are tracked. Someone more clever than me probably already has some form of solution for that problem in mind.

I still can't quite get the headset to not put a fair bit of pressure on my cheeks, even with the top strap cradling the back of my head.

This might be related to your glasses. Would be curious how it feels when you take them off.

I encourage anyone with glasses (and no contacts) to invest in prescription inserts from VR Lens Lab or VR Lens EU. They made my experience way better.

Look at VR Lens EU first—I haven't used them, but they supposedly don't have barrels distortion problems like Lens Lab does. (If you go with Lens Lab, make sure to get the RABS lenses that minimize the distortion somewhat).

Nezacant

Also if you can see clearly up close, you really don't need glasses in the headset. I'm near sighted and see just fine without mine.

Same for me. See fine without my glasses. Also be careful if you do use your glasses, make sure they don't touch the lenses. The lenses in the Vive are soft plastic and scratch VERY easily and are super expensive to replace. I found this out the hard way.

Zalusithix

Also if you can see clearly up close, you really don't need glasses in the headset. I'm near sighted and see just fine without mine.
That depends entirely on how near sighted you are. I'm near sighted to the point where things more than a couple feet from me become blurred, and as such, I most certainly need my glasses to see clearly with the Vive.

Same for me. See fine without my glasses. Also be careful if you do use your glasses, make sure they don't touch the lenses. The lenses in the Vive are soft plastic and scratch VERY easily and are super expensive to replace. I found this out the hard way.

Definitely listen to this. I wish i'd known this when I got mine. I always just wore glasses instead of my contacts and there's a lot of scratches on the lenses. I can't see them while in VR, but I wish it hadn't happened. I exclusively wear contacts in VR now.

I was looking into the prescription lenses but I have people over fairly regularly to play VR so it's a no go.

That depends entirely on how near sighted you are. I'm near sighted to the point where things more than a couple feet from me become blurred, and as such, I most certainly need my glasses to see clearly with the Vive.

True. I should say: Try it without glasses because you might not need them (assuming you're near sighted).

SomTervo

The Wave looks crazy and awesome. Will try soon.

Got my used Vive on Thusday, got my poles and mounts Friday, started playing Saturday. Still struggling to get a good fit with my glasses on, but overall I couldn't be any more excited to have this thing in my life.

Few annoyances:
Tracking in one corner of my play area is terrible. Not sure if I need to turn my lighthouse more towards that spot or what, but no biggie.
My IPD is 56, and I feel like that's hampered my ability to get a 100% perfect picture, regardless of fitting.
It's really hot inside the mask, and I sweat a lot. Good thing the seller included one of those faux-leather VR covers.

TL;DR the image quality isn't great, my glasses get in the way sometimes, and I overheat super easily. Don't care though, still a fantastic experience and I'm constantly blown away.

And oh yeah, I've only bought one piece of software (H3VR) and have been relying only on free games otherwise. There's some cool things out there.

If tracking is weird in one corner, chances are there's a reflective surface nearby. For us is often a bar bell, a picture frame, a big window or a mirror.

All the rumble in one of my controllers is gone :/ ugh. Have no idea why, last time I used them they were fine. The biggest disappointment with the Vive as a system has been the build quality of these controllers. Both of them now have issues with their touch pads as well.

Also there is a dead pixel in my headset but luckily it isn't noticeable

If anyone has interest in watching video while playing games in VR, check out OVRdrop. I love to watch stuff while I play games (well, non-story heavy games), but OpenVRDesktopDisplay always gave me REALLY bad performance. Like a 720p 30fps video would run at maybe 10 fps in-game. OVRdrop seems to be based on it, but with massive performance enhancements. I had a 1080/60fps Twitch stream running perfectly while I was painting in Tilt Brush and I also tried it with Cloudlands Minigolf and it worked perfectly there too. It's exactly what I wanted. I want to try pulling up a Bob Ross video and painting along with him in Tilt Brush and seeing how it goes.

If anyone has interest in watching video while playing games in VR, check out OVRdrop. I love to watch stuff while I play games (well, non-story heavy games), but OpenVRDesktopDisplay always gave me REALLY bad performance. Like a 720p 30fps video would run at maybe 10 fps in-game. OVRdrop seems to be based on it, but with massive performance enhancements. I had a 1080/60fps Twitch stream running perfectly while I was painting in Tilt Brush and I also tried it with Cloudlands Minigolf and it worked perfectly there too. It's exactly what I wanted. I want to try pulling up a Bob Ross video and painting along with him in Tilt Brush and seeing how it goes.

Oh wow, I hadn't heard of this! So I can plop a screen down in my ship while playing Elite?? Absolutely awesome.

Your Bob Ross painting idea is great, you should record it if you do that.

Zalusithix

Yeah, I noticed earlier today that this was released. Might tempt me into trying Elite in VR again now that getting trading tools into the game will be easier.

sqwarlock

True. I should say: Try it without glasses because you might not need them (assuming you're near sighted).

Prescription is OD -3 OS -3.25 and everything is just a bit too blurry to enjoy. :(

Definitely considering going in for contacts just for VR, but also looking into the prescription lens modifications like VR Lens Lab and the others.

Very cool, I will be picking this up. Very little performance impact, I hope.

Also I assume when it's activated, the screen shows up everywhere until you turn it off. It'll be there on loading screens, for example.

My PC isn't a super powerful rig (1070, i5-3570k) but I didn't notice much of a performance hit. Especially compared to the old version which tanked my framerate for both video and game. The games I tried aren't very demanding though so I can only vouch for the two i've tried it with so far. The old version also worked well with Vivecraft.

It was there for the loading screens too, yes. The default setting for it makes it feel like it's a TV there with you, you can walk closer or further from it. There's a lot of options to control that stuff though. You can lock it to one side of your play space, attach it to your controllers (my favorite for Vivecraft, mine with one hand and watch TV on the other), or position it how you prefer in the game world.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My dang vive shipped!!
I didn't buy the new slimline cable because I read there's a change it will be included. Is this true? Kinda hard to find a lot of this info out there.

Zalusithix

My dang vive shipped!!
I didn't buy the new slimline cable because I read there's a change it will be included. Is this true? Kinda hard to find a lot of this info out there.

By now I'd imagine the cable is included as the default worldwide. The gamble was earlier on when it was first introduced.

I think im getting close to selling my vive.
Its fun but I don't see much on the horizon that I will enjoy.

What is the going rate on the market? $600?

The Yooka Laylee VR mod is tempting... I was a huge Banjo & Kazooie fan back in the day, since playing in VR everything non VR fell off the radar a little (except for Bayonetta) now with VR mod Yooka Laylee is back on it again... still think the current price could go down 10 bucks before I bite.

vermadas

The Yooka Laylee VR mod is tempting... I was a huge Banjo & Kazooie fan back in the day, since playing in VR everything non VR fell off the radar a little (except for Bayonetta) now with VR mod Yooka Laylee is back on it again... still think the current price could go down 10 bucks before I bite.

Thanks for posting this. Backed YL on KS but haven't gotten around to it yet with the flood of games recently. Definitely trying this out.

Moondrop

Banned
So I'm at the mental tipping point of committing to the Vive + building (rebuilding?) a PC to go along with it. But I was planning to take my time and research all the components thoroughly for a few months until...

$999 for a 1070 Founder's Edition + Vive

That's about $200 in savings. Not bad.
What's the consensus on GPU for VR, e.g. 1070 vs. 1080? With VR rendering for each eye, high FPS demands for immersion, and everything being new, I'd like to be somewhat future-proof.

What's the consensus on GPU for VR, e.g. 1070 vs. 1080? With VR rendering for each eye, high FPS demands for immersion, and everything being new, I'd like to be somewhat future-proof.

I mean, obviously the 1080 is better but the 1070 is more than sufficient. The Vive itself isn't future proof, keep in mind. I'd expect a new iteration within 18 months.

Moondrop

Banned
I mean, obviously the 1080 is better but the 1070 is more than sufficient. The Vive itself isn't future proof, keep in mind. I'd expect a new iteration within 18 months.
Hmm, great point, thanks. I did some reading and apparently the original idea was two-year hardware generations? I guess this is what it costs to approach the bleeding edge.

I planned to make this a summer project, but this deals seems too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom