• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So my list of things to try Friday night so far is:

• S.P.T.
  • Budget Cuts
  • Superhot
  • Tilt Brush
  • Google Earth
  • Rec Room
  • Raw Data
  • Soundstage
  • Thumper
  • Vivecraft

I'll definitely be trying the lab and I probably won't get to Rec Room night one.

Soundstage, Google Earth, and Superhot are my top three. SPT is a close fourth. I'm also insanly intrigued by Vivecraft.

Anything I'm missing? This is just for the first day or two. I fully intend to try out every weird little thing I've seen from the last year. Its amazing how many things there are going to be. I really want to play that HL2 mod.. I also really want to try out some of the movie theater stuff just because.

E-flux

The accounting is free and takes around 30 minutes to complete, it's made by the rick and morty guys so the humor is very similar, the rick and morty game is also releasing tomorrow but we will see how it turns out.. Also Onward is probably the best multiplayer shooter out at the moment for vive, it has around 100-200 players online for it and it has been growing slowly but surely. Vanishing realms is also a really good dungeon crawler with a lot of exploration and loot collecting.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah! I'll probably play the Rick+Morty thing. I've seen quite a few videos of accounting and will probably check it out but it was a little abrasive. Will check out the other two, a dungeon crawler sounds really neat. I want to play the H3 gun simulator too.

Luckily I'm gonna have quite a bit room space. So I should also note that things with the biggest most interesting use of roomscale I will definitely be interested in. I think I have a pretty good idea of whats out there but I'm sure theres stuff I haven't heard of.

E-flux

Check out Windlands then, swinging around the huge levels and exploring is really fun and you get to move around quite a bit. I don't really like the devs of the game but it has been one of the best experiences i have had on vive, it took me around 5 hours to complete.
giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit that looks awesome.

OK I just took a measuring tape and the usable VR square is 11.5ftx12.5ft.
I'll probably set the chaperone thing 10inches or so in from the wall.

cakefoo

Oh yeah! I'll probably play the Rick+Morty thing. I've seen quite a few videos of accounting and will probably check it out but it was a little abrasive. Will check out the other two, a dungeon crawler sounds really neat. I want to play the H3 gun simulator too.

Luckily I'm gonna have quite a bit room space. So I should also note that things with the biggest most interesting use of roomscale I will definitely be interested in. I think I have a pretty good idea of whats out there but I'm sure theres stuff I haven't heard of.
Here are a few games in each category you've expressed interest in.

Roomscale
A Chair in a Room
Fine China
GPU Cubes
Ruberg

Music games/apps
TheWaveVR
EXA
Soundboxing
Audioshield

Shooters
Pavlov
Sairento
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
Arizona Sunshine

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Cool! Thanks a lot for the recs! I'm also gonna be looking for some multiplayer buds too!

aaaaa0

Anything I'm missing? This is just for the first day or two. I fully intend to try out every weird little thing I've seen from the last year. Its amazing how many things there are going to be. I really want to play that HL2 mod.. I also really want to try out some of the movie theater stuff just because.

Audioshield! I still think it's the best music game on the Vive.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I sure thought superhypercube would have date by now..

I also am curious about trackmania.

Not sure if it's mentioned here, I Expect You to Die comes to Vive on April 25th. It's been out on Occulus for a long time and is one of the games im most excited about. It's a cheeky Bond themed escape the ridiculous super villain capture scenario game.

SomTervo

Check out Windlands then, swinging around the huge levels and exploring is really fun and you get to move around quite a bit. I don't really like the devs of the game but it has been one of the best experiences i have had on vive, it took me around 5 hours to complete.
giphy.gif

Wait, you can walljump in Windlands???

That explains why I could never finish the first level!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Some upcoming games:
Karnage Chronicles
Racket Fury: Table Tennis
Kai-ri-Sei Million Arthur
Detached
Conductor
Dimension Dude
Smashing The Battle VR
Overturn VR
Vertigo 2
Airtone
Starfighter Inc
TITAN Slayer
Interkosmos
The Last Frontier
Rick & Morty: Virtual Rick-ality

Bookoo

Not sure if it's mentioned here, I Expect You to Die comes to Vive on April 25th. It's been out on Occulus for a long time and is one of the games im most excited about. It's a cheeky Bond themed escape the ridiculous super villain capture scenario game.

I enjoyed the game and it has awesome opening credits, but it is pretty short I think like 4 or 5 levels (maybe about 30-ish mins each).

My biggest gripe about that game is that I wish it was more of an escape room than a fail state puzzle game.

Now I know the game is called I expect you to die, but after a while it's sort of dumb because you are constantly just replaying the same parts again to get 1 step further before dying again. It is just rinse and repeat until you know every scripted surprise and how to deal with it and you are able to finish a level.

Durante

Anything I'm missing? This is just for the first day or two. I fully intend to try out every weird little thing I've seen from the last year.
Once you want to go beyond weird things (don't get me wrong, those are great), I can't recommend Serious Sam The First Encounter and The Second Encounter enough.

Huge games, action packed gameplay, massive wealth of options (for gameplay, locomotion and tech), good performance.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I find Audioshield really lackluster in regards of music synced gameplay. Beatboxing is really good, I agree!

Soundboxing is much better, I agree. Beat maps made by people just feel a lot better and if you don't like it, it is fun to make your own. Discovering a lot of new music as well.

Padinn

I want to get an HTC Vive. Does anyone know if a new revision is coming out soon?

They have been making small revisions to the original headset and lighthouses throughout production. It doesn't appear like a new version is coming out this year, but some addons should be coming along.

Durante

Should we have a thread for Rick and Morty?
It feels like a significant release based on name recognition and developer pedigree, and it's on multiple VR platforms.

I'll make one if no one else does.

ArtHands

Should we have a thread for Rick and Morty?
It feels like a significant release based on name recognition and developer pedigree, and it's on multiple VR platforms.

I'll make one if no one else does.

yes we should have a thread

I'm definitely curious to get impressions! I really enjoyed Accounting, but if it's just more of that I don't think I'll shell out the money for it.

I only very recently watched all of R&M, and I loved it.

ArtHands

Seems there will be some actions too going by this screenshot. I think its Job Simulator with a slightly bigger scope...as you will be able to teleport around

ss_e081750eb3609fe30a116143736b2482e641ca2d.600x338.jpg

Durante

My expectation is a mixture of job simulator gameplay with some action elements, and Rick and Morty / Accounting style narrative.

I'll freely admit that the latter is the draw that makes me buy it as soon as it's available, and not the gameplay.

Paganmoon

My expectation is a mixture of job simulator gameplay with some action elements, and Rick and Morty / Accounting style narrative.

I'll freely admit that the latter is the draw that makes me buy it as soon as it's available, and not the gameplay.

Accounting style narrative? does that mean 30 means of screaming and yelling in your ears?

(I really disliked accounting btw).

That looks like the Mr. Meeseeks are imitating the player. Probably a puzzle/minigame thing as opposed to multiplayer.

Ah yeah, it does look like the Meeseeks are mirroring the player. Something as big as multiplayer would be mentioned anyway. I just thought it was weird how every other NPC has a full body but those didn't.

OT subtitle ideas?
I'd currently go with "Welcome to the exciting world of Plumbus ownership!"

Sorry, but your Mulan Szechuan Teriyaki McNugget sauce is in another reality

The Soundboxing environments are great, you'd think they arent as important (and they probably aren't) to the overall experience, but the old environment really was downright ugly.

Also, load times have improved on my end dramatically, very nice!

derFeef

Yeah they are great. This is becoming my favourite training thing. Problem is my broken rip starts to hurt again, time for a break, or I should not hit has hard, haha.

Padinn

How is Assetto Corso? Its 50% off and I love racing genre. I would probably play with an Xbox One/DualShock4/Steam controller. How would this be?

I have a 1080 and 6700k

MimiMe

How is Assetto Corso? Its 50% off and I love racing genre. I would probably play with an Xbox One/DualShock4/Steam controller. How would this be?

I have a 1080 and 6700k

Asseto Corsa is great. One of the few games I play in VR besides iRacing.
But I can't imagine it being played with a gamepad.

VR + Wheel is just nailing it.
Your pc should run it fine as I am using a 290.

ps: are we allowed to talk about our own games in here? Asking as I am not sure about the rules.

Padinn

Asseto Corsa is great. One of the few games I play in VR besides iRacing.
But I can't imagine it being played with a gamepad.

VR + Wheel is just nailing it.
Your pc should run it fine as I am using a 290.

ps: are we allowed to talk about our own games in here? Asking as I am not sure about the rules.

Is it worth getting the Dream Pack DLC version (its $25 and includes all 3 of them) vs. the standard one?

MimiMe

I bought it just because of the Nordschleife and I never cared about the single player. So it is hard to tell as I don't know if you're into racing sims.
I think driving the cars with a gamepad in VR would kill all the joy for me.

Why don't you jump into stuff like life for speed (for free) first, to see if you like it at all with a pad.

Padinn

I bought it just because of the Nordschleife and I never cared about the single player. So it is hard to tell as I don't know if you're into racing sims.
I think driving the cars with a gamepad in VR would kill all the joy for me.

Why don't you jump into stuff like life for speed (for free) first, to see if you like it at all with a pad.

I've played Project Cars a bit with a pad and had fun, its more like, do the pad controls suck? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom