• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqwarlock

"Ah ok, that's what people meant by "one eye mirroring." Thanks. Just making sure I pick the right components.

Edit: but wait, and this is so noob but we're already down the rabbit hole- from what port do people typically run their main monitor if most cards have one HDMI out? Isn't that for the Vive itself? Or I guess just DVI."

Depends on the card. My 1080 only has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, and the rest are displayport. However, an update at some point last year made my Vive not work well when my second monitor was connected to the DVI port and I had to use an HDMI to Displayport adapter. Valve support said Vive is finnicky with monitors using a DVI port.

Short answer: Use HDMI or Displayport (use HDMI to Displayport adapters if necessary) for your monitor(s).

Define "working well" for me here. I have a second monitor hooked up with DVI (it's an old monitor and doesn't have HDMI) and I'm curious if it's affecting my Vive experience.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting to hear there are potential issues with using a monitor hooked up to DVI and the vive at the same time. I have dvi in use and am happy to report no issues.

Guess I'm gonna play around with the open vr advanced settings today.

Following up my last recommendations request, are there any new "simple" kinds of games/experiences to demo to people not really into gaming? My go-tos for that are Google Earth, SPT, Job Simulator, Zombie Training Simulator, Richie's Plank Experience, and Fruit Ninja.

I'd add The Blu for sure. Also—The Lab doesn't seem on that list?

Unseen Diplomacy is also great if you have the space for it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Serious Sam TFE is a ton of fun. I played it way too much last night. Can't believe I've been holding off on getting this.

Following up my last recommendations request, are there any new "simple" kinds of games/experiences to demo to people not really into gaming? My go-tos for that are Google Earth, SPT, Job Simulator, Zombie Training Simulator, Richie's Plank Experience, and Fruit Ninja.

This looks cool. Is it worth the price?

I havent try it personally but I have heard lots of praises from the Oculus Rift and PSVR users. This is a 3 to 4 hours title though from what I know.

Serious Sam TFE is a ton of fun. I played it way too much last night. Can't believe I've been holding off on getting this.

Download the demo for Racket NX! (and buy Eleven Table Tennis, let people balance the ball on the side of the racket, this will blow their minds)

theBlu, Holoball, Trials on Tatooine

I'd add The Blu for sure. Also—The Lab doesn't seem on that list?

Unseen Diplomacy is also great if you have the space for it.

Download the demo for Racket NX! (and buy Eleven Table Tennis, let people balance the ball on the side of the racket, this will blow their minds)

I've already got theBlu, Tatooine and the Lab but they aren't really hits among my friends. These others look like they'd be fun party games though. I don't know how I haven't bought a table tennis game yet. I'll check them out.

I havent try it personally but I have heard lots of praises from the Oculus Rift and PSVR users. This is a 3 to 4 hours title though from what I know.

Seems like a pretty good length for the price. I'll hold off for now since I'm picking up a bunch of games right now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What was that free running game where you work your arms like a skier to build momentum?

"Define "working well" for me here. I have a second monitor hooked up with DVI (it's an old monitor and doesn't have HDMI) and I'm curious if it's affecting my Vive experience."

Not working well is actually an understatement: SteamVR simply would not start so long as I had a monitor connected via DVI. If I disconnected the DVI monitor, SteamVR launched as normal. This was after 5 months or so of it working just fine with the same monitor connected to the same DVI port.

So if SteamVR is still launching for you, don't worry.

"What was that free running game where you work your arms like a skier to build momentum?"

Sprint Vector?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Climbey is really, really great but I wish it had more levels. Also Jumping can be kinda finnicky.

I definitely need to go through a DL pass and get a bunch of user levels because a good climbey level is an absolute blast.

Can someone please help me? I got doom vr working, but when i use teleport it switches weapons. i know what the controls are and switch weapons and teleport are too close together on the track pad. is there a way to change them?

ArtHands

Batman : Arkham VR is up on Steam!

Oculus has got a new AAA title up on the Oculus store too (Wilson's Heart)

hope we can ReVive it

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't, but I've heard good impressions on Reddit (or at least of similar products).
I'm bumping into stuff so much, I need something like this. I have a pretty good sized area too. And I'm planning to extend one side another .8 of a meter or so once I move my desk. But I've lost count of how many times of knocked them and it's only been 3 days!

Also it's an upstairs room so the ceiling is a bit lower I think.

ArtHands

Just finished Batman: Arkham VR in 55 mins.

I haven't totally explore everything though, not to mention the riddler stuffs.

Just finished Batman: Arkham VR in 55 mins.

I haven't totally explore everything though, not to mention the riddler stuffs.

What's your verdict? Comparable to another VR game? Worth the 20 bucks?
I'm really on the fence with this game because people speak highly of it but everything I've seen looked to superficial and generic (put the batsign on your chest, you're batman now, throw these magnetic baterangs, no need to aim really etc)

ArtHands

I cant say i am impressed to be honest. The graphic and storyline are good but there's nothing much beyond that. It actually ended when I least expected it.

This is really just a straight port. Not a lot of interactable object, no collision between your hand and the characters etc. maybe this is impressive for vr newcomer but i think there are other better titles

I will try " i expect you to die" tomorrow.

GeoGonzo

I really like "I expect you to die". Stop me if you've heard this one before but it is a very short game with some very clever ideas.

If you can, play it with friends/family: Its great for taking turns after each death, or thinking up solutions together.

Man I can't wait till the wireless gear and deluxe audio strap are out. That's when I'll be diving into Vive VR.

I tried a mate's PSVR a little while back and I keep daydreaming about other VR stuff I want to try out.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Man I can't wait till the wireless gear and deluxe audio strap are out. That's when I'll be diving into Vive VR.

I tried a mate's PSVR a little while back and I keep daydreaming about other VR stuff I want to try out.

I'm absolutely upgrading to both when they're released. Wired isn't inherently bad, but being completely wireless will absolutely be a game changer, and I could see myself doing something like setting it up in the drive way with a group of friends or family and doing like a VR Barbecue.

workshop has a ton of great levels just get anything rated 4 stars and above all those levels are rad

I ended up doing this btw, I'm gonna play tonight.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
put in a refund request for arkham vr. $20 for 50ish minutes is insane. dont care about the riddler stuff.

Yeah that game always came off as a packin demo. I've never heard a good thing about it, sadly! :(

Just played the climbey demo. Its neat, but I feel like I'm missing something. I couldn't really jog so much as you just kinda vault yourself around.. but the robot in the tutorial said you can jog or something. Its a neat game though.

When I purchased Superhot off the oculus store they gave me ripcoil for free and that game looks pretty interesting.

Also in Raw Data its like a I can see people's Dark Souls ghosts in the lobby showroom but when I try to search for a match or matchmake it never comes up with anyone. :[
Does anyone want to play later for a little while? Maybe only like one level or so.

Yeah that game always came off as a packin demo. I've never heard a good thing about it, sadly! :(

Just played the climbey demo. Its neat, but I feel like I'm missing something. I couldn't really jog so much as you just kinda vault yourself around.. but the robot in the tutorial said you can jog or something. Its a neat game though.

When I purchased Superhot off the oculus store they gave me ripcoil for free and that game looks pretty interesting.

Also in Raw Data its like a I can see people's Dark Souls ghosts in the lobby showroom but when I try to search for a match or matchmake it never comes up with anyone. :[
Does anyone want to play later for a little while? Maybe only like one level or so.
What's there is absolutely awesome, should've been $10 tops

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've only gone through the refund process once, but it took a few days. I purchased watchdogs2 without using the 15$ of store credit I had.

Ok. Still in expirement mode. I've drank 200ml of makers mark and vaporized some marijuana. So far I've found that marijuana helps with spacial immersion, but alcohol helps with looking at your virtual hands believing the FOV. You get out and its like why does it take an extra 8 inches of arm motion to grab something?

Just played through Batman. Definitely too short. Definitely ends right when things get interesting (though some clues to what happened can be found by messing with certain stuff). I'd liken it to an interactive experience with some light puzzle solving as opposed to a "game". That said, it's easily one of the best looking VR things out there. It does some cool tricks with VR and uses the medium pretty well at least visually even if not so much mechanically. Definitely makes you feel like Batman. There are also a bunch of little secrets to find after the playthrough. If you're a fan of the Arkham games, or Batman in general, it's worth it at a sale price (I got it for like $15). In a lot of ways, it's like a companion piece to those games with a lot of cool little things from them to look at in VR. If you're not really a fan, I'd probably pass. Especially at $20. At this point, it's not really doing anything groundbreaking other than the cool storytelling.

ArtHands

Yah i think it should have been a 10 or a 15. Uploadvr gave it a 5/10 Mediocre rating.
https://uploadvr.com/batman-arkham-vr-review-psvr/

I was willing to give it a try because the gameplay can always make up for the short length to me. I went in not expecting a full fledged Batman title, but it isn't as good as I thought.

I also think this game has been upgraded a little over the PSVR version. 360 viewing and also graphic setting. Nothing much.

I'll be giving the game another chance though and go in to find all the secrets. as such I doubt I'll refund it. If you are not a batman fan, I think you can just watch the story on youtube and buy I expect you to die or Wilson's Heart instead (if it support ReVive). I am sure these 2 games will provide more and better gameplay

derFeef

Yeah for some of them I don't wear wristweights because I think I could injure myself with some songs lol

I haven't put on weights yet but that's a good idea. I made some tracks that include more leg work. Also a neat trick is just to scale the boxing area in vertical direction and move it slightly lower to get more work for your legs. It's a very good game - hopefully they continue dveloping it because with every update this has become better and better.

It's really fun workout - I feel very good after a session :)
I am not sure sharing/saving s working great for me though, sometimes my songs do not show up and I have to restart the whole thing - they should be in the cloud, no?

I haven't put on weights yet but that's a good idea. I made some tracks that include more leg work. Also a neat trick is just to scale the boxing area in vertical direction and move it slightly lower to get more work for your legs. It's a very good game - hopefully they continue dveloping it because with every update this has become better and better.

It's really fun workout - I feel very good after a session :)
I am not sure sharing/saving s working great for me though, sometimes my songs do not show up and I have to restart the whole thing - they should be in the cloud, no?

I think the songs should be visible in the "What's new" tab.

If you haven't already, check out/download "Hot Squat" (it's free) for your leg/core workout, I always play that for a couple of minutes after I'm done with Audioshield/Soundboxing.

SimplexPL

I beat Rick and Morty in 1hr 6min and consciously wasted a lot of time trying to interact with every possible object...it is of course $10 more at $30.
And has fraction of Batman's production values/budget.

Got my refund for Batman. Hate that I have to wait to use the money, I'd love to buy another VR game right now.
You didn't realize/didn't check how long the game is before buying?

derFeef

I think the songs should be visible in the "What's new" tab.

If you haven't already, check out/download "Hot Squad" (it's free) for your leg/core workout, I always play that for a couple of minutes after I'm done with Audioshield/Soundboxing.

Nice, thanks for the recommendation!

Wardancer

Neo Member
Lol, next step is to get the Vive to interface with your thermostat, so the temperature can be adjusted to match the game. Just beware your electricity bills in the summer!

I think Valve had a talk where they mentioned trying to make a HDR headset and it was great for beach scenes... because you could feel the sun burning your face :p

The talk

Durante

Lol, next step is to get the Vive to interface with your thermostat, so the temperature can be adjusted to match the game. Just beware your electricity bills in the summer!
You're joking, but a friend of mine has his smart home integrated with his Vive gaming so that if he plays into the night the lights turn on in his VR area. (He's also the author of OpenVR advanced settings)

I think it's a bit silly, but also pretty cool.

ArtHands

Just discovered that Batman Arkham VR for PC offers 3 rendering modes: full res, fixed foveated and nvidia multi res. I believe these are the differences

Full res - for PS4Pro and PC with high end card, everything is rendered at full res
Fixed foveated - only the central region is full res, the other regions are lower res. For PS4 and PC with mid to low end non Nvidia/Nvidia maxwell or older card
Nvidia multi res - same logic as fixed foveated but only draw geometry once per eye. For PC with mid to low end Nvidia Maxwell (or newer) cards

This game also has better tracking, which is a given, as well as 360 rendering

http://support.wbgames.com/link/portal/24022/24028/Article/1487/Batman-Arkham-VR-PC-Graphics-Options

SimplexPL

That makes sens.

I think that's one of the first (if not the first) games to finally utilize nvidia's multires shading?

Due to the lenses on the headset, a percentage resolution of 140% is required to give a 1:1 pixel resolution at the center of the screen. 140% is a resolution of 3024x1680 ((2160x1200)*1.4). We allow the user to double this 140% resolution to 280% which is a resolution of 6048x3360.
At full resolution (not foveated) that is 20 million pixels per frame, which at 90 fps gives 1,8 billion pixels rendered per second. Whoah!
Hopefully they allow to change resolution in in increments.

low-G

I'd argue that everyone who can should use multi res, and if you have performance to spare invest that in supersampling.

I'm imagining lots of artifacts when looking at things close. Any games that currently have it that I may have seen already? Any good demo?

Durante

I'm imagining lots of artifacts when looking at things close. Any games that currently have it that I may have seen already? Any good demo?
Raw Data.

To me, going higher with general supersampling due to the performance gain of multi-res shading in that results in a much better final image than not using multi-res and using a lower overall SS factor.

If you make a lot of Soundboxing tracks, you should post your profile. People can follow you from there. Here's mine: GuitarAtomik

Yeah for some of them I don't wear wristweights because I think I could injure myself with some songs lol

From my understanding, wearing wrist weights for something like Soundboxing is a BAD idea. It's not meant for that type of motion and will likely fuck up your joints. Here's a post kind of going in to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom