• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

If you make a lot of Soundboxing tracks, you should post your profile. People can follow you from there. Here's mine: GuitarAtomik

From my understanding, wearing wrist weights for something like Soundboxing is a BAD idea. It's not meant for that type of motion and will likely fuck up your joints. Here's a post kind of going in to it.

Oh did not know you can look at that via browser. Pretty cool. Also shows that something is not working with my sync as only one song is showing and nothing I made/played yesterday.

This is me

edit: wow even with preview videos! This game is impressing me more day by day.

It's a shame Karnage Chronicles is getting mixed reviews on Steam. It looks really nice and I really want a good RPG for Vive. It's still Early Access though so fingers crossed it shapes up into something good.

This hardcore mech sim looks pretty amazing so far. Like the version of Steel Battalion that Kinect couldn't deliver.

Panzerwehr 1949
7 minutes of gameplay
The game's name is Panzerwehr 1949 and it takes place in an alternate history where world war 2 never ended. This gives us a bit of freedom to play with technologies available, at the same time most of the equipment is based on reasonable evolutions of ww2 tech (minus the legs obviously). The game is a bit on the hardcore side (there are no hit points, you have to watch your engine temperature, electric systems can fail etc.), we are drawing mostly from Steel Battalion games.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/67nfc6/so_you_want_a_vr_mech_sim_cause_im_making_a_vr/

FabulousAncientFrog.gif

WelldocumentedMelodicGlowworm.gif

AbandonedWickedAmericanblackvulture.gif

TimelyFavoriteCassowary.gif

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
What's your verdict? Comparable to another VR game? Worth the 20 bucks?
I'm really on the fence with this game because people speak highly of it but everything I've seen looked to superficial and generic (put the batsign on your chest, you're batman now, throw these magnetic baterangs, no need to aim really etc)

just beat it only took 62 minutes without doing the riddler challenges its basically a hour long theme park batman ride not really a full fledged game was worth it to me because im really into batman stuff but if you are looking for something meater dont bother

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You're joking, but a friend of mine has his smart home integrated with his Vive gaming so that if he plays into the night the lights turn on in his VR area. (He's also the author of OpenVR advanced settings)

I think it's a bit silly, but also pretty cool.
I've been thinking about doing something similar with my Philips hue lights.

If you make a lot of Soundboxing tracks, you should post your profile. People can follow you from there. Here's mine: GuitarAtomik

From my understanding, wearing wrist weights for something like Soundboxing is a BAD idea. It's not meant for that type of motion and will likely fuck up your joints. Here's a post kind of going in to it.

Oh I'm fully aware :) I'm also not the type playing it like a boxing game as in "Soundboxing", meaning fully leaning into punches mith maximum momentum, I appreciate the full body movement more and only do controlled and rather slow boxing pantomime with wristweights on, I don't really care for highscores. That's also probably a reason why I still like Audioshield better, but Soundboxing improves all the time it seems.

just beat it only took 62 minutes without doing the riddler challenges its basically a hour long theme park batman ride not really a full fledged game was worth it to me because im really into batman stuff but if you are looking for something meater dont bother

By now it's a sale candidate to me, below 10, I like Batman but not that much. There are still many games in the 20$ range left that I'd rather buy before this one but I'm sure if I see it at that price, I'm still going to buy it!

You're joking, but a friend of mine has his smart home integrated with his Vive gaming so that if he plays into the night the lights turn on in his VR area. (He's also the author of OpenVR advanced settings)

I think it's a bit silly, but also pretty cool.

It happened quite a few times during last winter that I started playing when the sun was still up and found myself in pitch black darkness when taking the headset off again. Unfortunately the roomview inside the headset is not capable of night vision enhancements lol

deadfolk

Anyone tried Island 359? I've seen no talk of it around here, although admittedly, I've not kept up to date so much.

It's on (slight) sale atm. I'm a bit wary because iirc, it's done by the guys who dumped Brookhaven before it was finished and went on to do something else (i.e. this).

Zalusithix

Has anyone been crazy enough to try a ceiling-mounted HDMI slip ring (AKA an infinitely rotating cable)?
You'd need USB and power as well. I looked into it way back when I was brainstorming crazy cable management systems. With wireless hitting this year though, the idea has gone from complicated but useful to needlessly complex with little benefit.

You'd need USB and power as well. I looked into it way back when I was brainstorming crazy cable management systems. With wireless hitting this year though, the idea has gone from complicated but useful to needlessly complex with little benefit.

I think the setup, if done well, could still be worth it. You don't have to worry about running out of or recharging the battery, and by extension you also have a headset that's physically lighter.

(And I still can't quite get myself to believe that wireless will actually work, although at this point I don't know how rational that is)

Moondrop

Banned
Right, I forgot wireless was coming this year. But that said...

I think the setup, if done well, could still be worth it. You don't have to worry about running out of or recharging the battery, and by extension you also have a headset that's physically lighter.

(And I still can't quite get myself to believe that wireless will actually work, although at this point I don't know how rational that is)
It's not irrational to be skeptical, but low-latency wireless is definitely achievable. I'm more skeptical about the battery life and weight, as you noted.

But I am crazy enough to try this if wireless isn't as advertised.

low-G

Raw Data.

To me, going higher with general supersampling due to the performance gain of multi-res shading in that results in a much better final image than not using multi-res and using a lower overall SS factor.

Ah yeah I already had that enabled.

Funny story, I read the description above posted by someone:

"only draw geometry once per eye"

as

"only draw geometry once per frame" and was expecting this to incorporate some crummy parallax effect with obvious occlusion issues.

derFeef

Anyone tried Island 359? I've seen no talk of it around here, although admittedly, I've not kept up to date so much.

It's on (slight) sale atm. I'm a bit wary because iirc, it's done by the guys who dumped Brookhaven before it was finished and went on to do something else (i.e. this).

Man is this one of the examples of create studio, make game, close studio, open new studio, make new game?

charpunk

Gonna wait for Amazon to get it since Digital River is handling the Microsoft Store pre-orders. They manage to always fuck up my pre-orders.

Seriously? urg.

Apparently the official date preorders will start is 5/2, so if amazon lists them I'm totally going to cancel the MS order. Fuck digital river.

You know, looking closer at the design, are they packing the new 3 in 1 cable in with the strap? Because the old ribbon cable sure as hell isn't going to route through that thing properly.

I don't think so. I heard somewhere the old strap fits in there.

Any good reviews of the deluxe audio strap? I think I want to get it but would really like to hear impressions.

All the impressions from that show (CES?)they were demoing it at were positive. Norm at Tested was really positive on it.

derFeef

Okay how do I solve this. Every once in a while after I first boot up VR in Steam and put on the headset and after entering the menu - the screen goes all white and I get the "Headset not tracking" error. I need to reboot my PC afterwards or it's not working.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Okay how do I solve this. Every once in a while after I first boot up VR in Steam and put on the headset and after entering the menu - the screen goes all white and I get the "Headset not tracking" error. I need to reboot my PC afterwards or it's not working.

is one of your light houses not on?

EDIT: The strap is already out of stock on the Microsoft site.

That's not going to happen with the clip shown. Unless the clip is removable and they pack two versions in the box. Only a minor concern for me as I don't plan on the strap without wireless.

Looks like it would have plenty of room based on this picture.

But yeah. Planning to go wireless as soon as possible baby!

SomTervo

This hardcore mech sim looks pretty amazing so far. Like the version of Steel Battalion that Kinect couldn't deliver.

Panzerwehr 1949
7 minutes of gameplay

FabulousAncientFrog.gif

WelldocumentedMelodicGlowworm.gif

AbandonedWickedAmericanblackvulture.gif

TimelyFavoriteCassowary.gif

Wow, phenomenal idea.

Island 359 is pretty good fun. They supported it nicely for a good while, IDK what they're doing now though. I love the weapon customisation system, even if it's v simple.

I'd say definitely go in if it's less than $15/£12

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I feel something like Job Simulator and Rick and Morty fill similar roles, but is there any game like "Little Inferno" for VR?

No problem with the lighthouses, it seems like the hedset just crashes.

edit: Hmm I thought if you own Serious Sam Fusion and SE that you get the VR version of SE for free? :(

No, Fusion is just a hub for all the SS games you already own because Steam can't do multiplayer between different titles. Fusion was given to you for free, and you still need to buy the individual games to get access in Fusion.

derFeef

No, Fusion is just a hub for all the SS games you already own because Steam can't do multiplayer between different titles. Fusion was given to you for free, and you still need to buy the individual games to get access in Fusion.

But Second Encounter shows up as installed DLC for Fusion, which is weird? Or does that only mean support for it?

But Second Encounter shows up as installed DLC for Fusion, which is weird? Or does that only mean support for it?

Every game you own shows up as DLC for Fusion. It's a workaround they had to do in order for Steam to support multiplayer between the old HD versions and the new VR versions. They are considered separate games, but to get them to be compatible in multiplayer they had to make the whole confusing Fusion launcher.

So in practice you have to buy the individual titles, but once you do they show up as DLC in Fusion.

So, Foveated rendering addon to the Vive to launch soon in China, Q3 worldwide apparently.

From third party but with HTC backing?

Kinda want... but all these add-ons are a bit pricey and I wonder if it wouldn't be better to release a new version of the HMD with wireless and eyetracking integrated instead of Megadrive stacking everything onto the thing. Maybe too expensive still, I don't know.

deadfolk

Brookhaven is unfinished?

Well, if what the net was saying is correct, the actual guys who created the game left the company before it was finished and sent to start their own company. The company who owns Brookhaven continued to work on it until release, so it's not supposed to be unfinished.

Paganmoon

Kinda want... but all these add-ons are a bit pricey and I wonder if it wouldn't be better to release a new version of the HMD with wireless and eyetracking integrated instead of Megadrive stacking everything onto the thing. Maybe too expensive still, I don't know.

They'd have to release a new version of the HMD 4 times since launch last year to get all these addons in. I think when they've reached a certain point with the addons, gotten feedback on how well they work, we'll see a V2 with most if not all in one package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom