• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

That new bow in Serious Sam VR is pretty dope. But maaaan that game is hard.
Also no one is playing online.
Also I had enough VR for today, that Ultimate Booster Experience was too much.

Durante

OpenVR was just updated to support 3D models as overlays.
This is something I was really hoping for, should make some use cases of the trackers much better. (E.g. putting one on a mug)

Also, it has a new property that would -- if you like speculating -- seem to indicate that Valve is working with a HMD that features a rolling illumination display.

OpenVR was just updated to support 3D models as overlays.
This is something I was really hoping for, should make some use cases of the trackers much better. (E.g. putting one on a mug)

Also, it has a new property that would -- if you like speculating -- seem to indicate that Valve is working with a HMD that features a rolling illumination display.

What does that entail?

SimplexPL

http://www.roadtovr.com/vive-get-eye-tracking-add-optional-corrective-lenses/

You guys probably already talked about this, but it seems like the biggest upgrade that we'd want in a Vive 2 may actually be feasible as just an upgrade kit, like the wireless and the audio strap.

I'm hoping this comes out soon, would be great to have easy access to foveated rendering without needing to get a whole new headset.

We did talk about it, and right now it's looking like the savings won't be all that great due to the 90hz refresh rate of the current Vive.

Bullet Sorrow got an update today, adding free locomotion (according to the update page). Have not tested it out yet but will definitely give it anoher try. (Game was a bit too difficult for me in the second stage so I took a long break.)

You got it mate. I'm waiting for the the Deluxe strap before ordering a Vive so am also very keen to know when I can get one here in the UK.

Starting to get VR fever so been putting together a list of interesting stuff to check out once I'm up and running (Steam sales depending, heh)!

In case anyone's interested:

Software / Demos / Random

Bigscreen
Gorillaz VR music video
VR Chat
Big Screen
OVRdrop
Gnomes & Goblins (preview)
theblu
Surge
Google Earth VR
Tiltbrush
Trials on Tatooine
AltspaceVR
Apollo 11
Secret Shop thing
DoTA VR
Universe Sandbox 2
VR Museum of Fine Art
NVIDIA VR Funhouse
Cosmic Sugar VR
Abbot's Book Demo
Senza Peso

Games
Thumper
Redout
Onward
Rec Room
Fantasynth
Arizona Sunshine
Wake Up
Accounting
Belko VR: An Escape Room Experiment
Wilson's Heart (Revive)
RoboRevive,
Space Pirate Trainer
Statik
Portal Stories: VR
Destinations
Eleven Table Tennis
Budget Cuts
Eleven: Table Tennis VR
Waltz of the Wizard
Call of the Starseed
Raw Data
Vivecraft
Audioshield
Vanishing Realms
Soundboxing
A Chair in a Room
Superhot VR
I Expect you to Die
Job Simulator
SportsBar VR
Unseen Diplomacy

cakefoo

Grimecraft is live in TheWaveVR right now.

Twitch stream

I'm gonna pop in and capture it.

edit: Just kidding. Their servers can't handle the demand. I was met with the "Thanks for playing the beta" loop. VRLFG says there are ~150 people on, so it's a shame they can't handle even this much traffic.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang I really wanna try that thing.

Giving a demo of the Vive to a friend tonight. Got a hairband for him and some face cleansing wipes.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This looks pretty good. And I prefer breakdown videos like this to the trailer style we usually see

Only thing is, I don't like arm swinging locomotion. I hope there's a trackpad option.

Yah they said there will be trackpad sliding too.

Deadly Hunter VR just went from paid to free on Steam now.

Deadly Hunter VR just went from paid to free on Steam now.

That's cool and sad at the same time, according to the dev the reason was not enough buyers/players. To be fair, there are quite a feq archery games for VR so it's probably not easy to stand out + VR userbase isn't gigantic.
I will definitely check this game out though.

SimplexPL

Yeah, I remember that too! But I can't figure out how to actually do it. :/

Currently it's not possible, only works with "Mixed Reality" (complete misnomer) VR headsets, like the one from Acer (the blue one).

Just picked it up. Going to give it a try a little bit later.
I am also interested in opinion about Conductor, Steam reviews are all positive. The biggest drawback seems to be the length (1,5-2h at most)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Currently it's not possible, only works with "Mixed Reality" (complete misnomer) VR headsets, like the one from Acer (the blue one).

I am also interested in opinion about Conductor, Steam reviews are all positive. The biggest drawback seems to be the length (1,5-2h at most)

I just impulsed buy it. I hope its good...I'll play it tomorrow.

Universe Sandbox 2 is very cool in VR but it's not the all encompassing Space experience you can have in VR. I strongly recommend DIscovering Space 2 and Titans of Space 2 as additional space content.
(and try the Racket NX demo)

Nice, I do love me some Space. Added all those to the list.

So I finally got around to picking up Rock Band VR and man am I loving it. The overhaul of how you actually play is really interesting and makes you feel a level of authorship that the traditional way never could. The graphics are really great and they nail the feeling of being on stage in front of a bunch of people performing. I found myself subconsciously and naturally just getting in to the performance as if I'm really playing unlike anything I've ever felt with the original game short of being wasted with a bunch of friends. If you're in to Rock Band or Guitar Hero, I totally recommend it. I had to force myself to stop playing last night because it was late and I needed to go to bed.

I feel like vr could use a customizable system-level hud/overlay. Even for something as simple as having the option to display the actual time at all times. Personally, depending where I have them set up, or who/how many people are around, I would like to have a picture-in-picture of the vive's front-facing camera ever-present. A bigger pipe-dream would be phone/messaging support. There is room for all sorts of widgets. Just me? Too processor intensive or something?

I feel like vr could use a customizable system-level hud/overlay. Even for something as simple as having the option to display the actual time at all times. Personally, depending where I have them set up, or who/how many people are around, I would like to have a picture-in-picture of the vive's front-facing camera ever-present. A bigger pipe-dream would be phone/messaging support. There is room for all sorts of widgets. Just me? Too processor intensive or something?

I think better phone support/integration is a must have. It's crazy that the best solution right now is the Vive software's limited implementation. I've seen some other work arounds, but they all involve using the desktop view and don't give you in game notifications. I just want to be able to get a global notification in game for calls or texts, be able to talk to someone on the phone in VR, reply with my own text messages, and initiate calls or texts to contacts from my paired phone. Vive Home only lets you do the first two. I'm seriously surprised no one has come up with a third party app yet ala Revive or Advanced Settings.

aaaaa0

I suspect it's just a matter of getting the right software written to talk to it. It's up to Oculus and HTC to write that. Because there's no depth cameras on the front of the Vive or Oculus, you won't get the room mapping stuff, but everything else would work I assume. I guess they could just substitute your Chaperone/Guardian boundary.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't the vive just connect to your phone by Bluetooth? I haven't done it yet but I thought it did. Could be mistaken though, only had it for a week.

UPdate: really thankful for SPT
I love this game. Its just an amazing game that is also in VR. I can't wait for Superhypercube to come out.

SPT is basically duck hunt but its droid hunt.

Durante

OpenVR has full support for these types of overlays provided by arbitrary third party programs. (Someone just has to implement it)

MimiMe

That's cool and sad at the same time, according to the dev the reason was not enough buyers/players. To be fair, there are quite a feq archery games for VR so it's probably not easy to stand out + VR userbase isn't gigantic.
I will definitely check this game out though.

Sadly it's not enough to stand out; archery game or not. Users seem to avoid anything that is not hyped or free.

I know literally nothing about Batman, other than that he's a dude who dresses like a bat, for some strange reason I can't quite fathom.

What do I need to know in order to play Arkham VR? If the answer is "nothing", great! But am I expected to know anything about the characters or world?

I know literally nothing about Batman, other than that he's a dude who dresses like a bat, for some strange reason I can't quite fathom.

What do I need to know in order to play Arkham VR? If the answer is "nothing", great! But am I expected to know anything about the characters or world?
The game is very much an epilogue to Arkham Knight (or possibly right before it) and presupposes you do have some knowledge of the basics of Batman, but it does have a bunch of files on different characters with descriptions of their backgrounds and does give you a little insight in to Batman's origin.

Also how do you know literally nothing about Batman lol? :)

If you truly know nothing about Batman, then I would honestly skip it. The game assumes you know about the characters and some stuff about Gotham. You won't get anything out of it with us explaining this, it's made for fans or at the very least someone who's seen the Dark Knight.

You can change the default hub?

I have not read up on it but I believe it could be possible to take 3d screenshots with Nvidia Ansel and export/importing them into Steam VR and use them as environment.
(Someone correct me if it is not possible)

Btw you can also change your controllers and lighthouse units. Only thing missing is animated matrix chaperone boundaries ;)

Thanks! I'll check some of those out.

Is it a menu on Steam VR, or something that needs a guide?

If you hit the settings cog in the bottom right when you're in VR, one of the options will be "customize" and from there you can select one you have, or download more from the Steam Workshop!

Tainted

I bought this when it came out...great value imo.

VR ping pong has become one of my most played games now, it is really cool. I own Paddle Up as well and it has better ball physics but I think VR Ping Pong is the better game of the two.

God of Arrows is also pretty fun, i think you get your money's worth from those 2 alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom