• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think it'd be funny to make one of the same room you're already in.
Also I think I might check out that VR bundle

I've been unsure of what to check out next. I think i want to try a dungeon crawler. Having a ton of fun with SPT. Perfect game size for my schedule. Loving the shit out of it.

Paganmoon

Love the holodeck one as well, though I only use the one that has the holodeck door only, without the holodeck environment/room. It's more fitting imo :)

zeioIIDX

That's funny, been using nothing but the holodeck environment for months now. It's easy on the eyes and looks cool. Before that, I used the Rick and Morty garage despite not being a fan of the show.

Tumle

I bought this when it came out...great value imo.

VR ping pong has become one of my most played games now, it is really cool. I own Paddle Up as well and it has better ball physics but I think VR Ping Pong is the better game of the two.

God of Arrows is also pretty fun, i think you get your money's worth from those 2 alone
Ok nice. I'm thinking it's a great value for the money.. I think a lot of VR games are a little overpriced.. but I know it's because of the small playerbase.. hopefully these smaller games will go down in price when the player base grows 😊

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, Dungeon Knight VR is super fum!!
Its got the arm waggle locomotion and lots of loot and a pretty funny sense of humor. Its totally rad! Can't wait to play more when I get home from work. I almost bought Trickster but this is seems like exactly what I was hoping for.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Its got the arm waggle locomotion and lots of loot and a pretty funny sense of humor. Its totally rad! Can't wait to play more when I get home from work. I almost bought Trickster but this is seems like exactly what I was hoping for.

yeah just wish the online was a little better it desyncs a lot and gets super choppy

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah so far the only VR game I've had work online as expected is Rec Room.

Tumle

Amazing, thanks
You are welcome 😊
Hope there will be more of these bundles in the future.. since I already used up my games budget this month before finding out about it.. but I thought I'd share it here so others could get the pleasure 😊

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa dungeon crawling in dungeon knight is really immersive. It definitely is early access, it started putting me outside the level geometry when I went through doors at once point..

But it's great fun. I've kinda started walking in place while I do the arm walk thing and it feels pretty good. Simplistic game but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I still want to try trickster vr but it seems like it's pretty much a wave based combat game? Even though it bills itself as a dungeon crawler. It still looks cool.

Oh yeah. I tried trackmania last night and immediately refunded it. Shame about that one.

Yeah, there's no reason to buy Trackmania Turbo for VR if you're on PC. Trackmania 2 will be getting VR support with their Maniaplanet 4 update in a few months, which I don't believe will have the same limitations as Trackmania Turbo. There was/is preliminary support in TM2 (for Rift), but I don't believe it really works anymore.

Moondrop

Banned
Tips on accessories while I'm still caught in this spending spree?

I'm planning to order poles and clamps to mount the lighthouses. Now I'm thinking controllers. I own a Wii U Pro controller, and there's a wireless adapter with good reviews. But should I get a steering wheel? Or a joystick?

derFeef

I'm planning to order poles and clamps to mount the lighthouses. Now I'm thinking controllers. I own a Wii U Pro controller, and there's a wireless adapter with good reviews. But should I get a steering wheel? Or a joystick?

Don't overthink it. If you aren't using the controllers for much else other than Vive, just spare the money as of now. The "normal" controler usage is very limited, except if you want to spend most of your time in racing games.

You're going to use the Vive controllers for most games you'll probably play. If you've got a racing game that you like, pick up a racing wheel. If you've got a space sim you really like, get a HOTAS.

I put in 100s of hours into Elite Dangerous so I thought a HOTAS would be worth it for me, and it was. But if you're just casually playing these types of games I'd just use a regular controller and save the money for that Audio Strap or the TPCast thing.

I consider either a cover or replacement foam basically essential. The default foam absorbs sweat and quickly becomes disgusting.

This is a must too, forgot about this. I got the leather VR Covers off Amazon and haven't been disappointed.

I consider either a cover or replacement foam basically essential. The default foam absorbs sweat and quickly becomes disgusting.

Moondrop

Banned
Thank you for the reality check. What with building a PC from scratch, it's starting to feel like I'm pot committed.

Yeah, definitely concerned about this. I was looking at VRcover.com and that seemed alright, unless anyone has another recommendation.

I think I'll check this out -- I really enjoyed AoF's locomotion, and after getting sick trying to play Quell, I'd like to support the arm movement options.

Thank you for the reality check. What with building a PC from scratch, it's starting to feel like I'm pot committed.

Yeah, definitely concerned about this. I was looking at VRcover.com and that seemed alright, unless anyone has another recommendation.

I personally prefer their wholesale foam replacements over just the cover. The one I have is this. Bonus advantage is you get a better FOV.

Either will work though.

derFeef

I finally palyed a bit of Raw Data. Seems pretty great so far but performance decreased and weird glitches like blurry/stutteryanimations increased over time of play. I have a 1070 and already dialed back the SS - I have reproj. disabled. Any ideas?

low-G

I finally palyed a bit of Raw Data. Seems pretty great so far but performance decreased and weird glitches like blurry/stutteryanimations increased over time of play. I have a 1070 and already dialed back the SS - I have reproj. disabled. Any ideas?

I also have a 1070 and I've tweaked Raw Data a fair bit.

Sounds like the reprojection is kicking in. {Did not see you have reproj disabled, you sure it's fully disabled. The stuttery animation stuff is something I saw then, but either way it sounds like you're dropping below 90fps.} It's a fairly demanding game. I'd turn down the Nvidia Flex PhysX first (just down a notch and it goes pretty smooth). That's advanced particle and liquid physics and you're not going to notice the difference during action.

Also, I totally have the Nvidia multi-res on 2 (max) because I can barely notice that even when I'm looking. (basically foveated rendering, only the center of your FOV is 'full' res).

Start with those and tweak from there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I personally prefer their wholesale foam replacements over just the cover. The one I have is this. Bonus advantage is you get a better FOV.

Either will work though.
So I take it that cushion is just a little thinner so the lenses are closer to your eyes?

Wardancer

Neo Member

Either will work though.

I prefer the cover over the foam replacement but thats because cotton feels a nicer than faux leather (I do believe they added some full replacements with cotton or similar materials though). But the faux leather is very nice for demoing the vive for others since its easy to wipe off and clean.

Edit:

You should absolutely not turn off all reprojection, thats madness. You should however turn off Interleaved Reprojection because its terrible and turn on Asynchronous Reprojection (this is the equivalent to Oculus Timewarp).

You should however turn off Interleaved Reprojection because its terrible and turn on Asynchronous Reprojection (this is the equivalent to Oculus Timewarp).

I thought you were generally supposed to leave both on and the system would determine what is needed? Is that not the case?

Wardancer

Neo Member
I thought you were generally supposed to leave both on and the system would determine what is needed? Is that not the case?

Depends on what you are playing, but interleaved reprojection is pretty bad so i would never have that on unless you have some massive performance issues and are doing something that doesn't involve your hands at all.

Specifically Onward has some physics and animation stuff tied to framerate so ASW and Interleaved reprojection that locks framerate to 45 fps will have serious game-play impact in that game.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much the only time I've noticed the missed frames warning pop up is right when a game is loading in. Like before the menu pops up.

Sweet, will get. I like both the "wipability" for demoing and being that much closer to the screen. Yay nearsightedness.

Not sure if you meant it in this way, but just so you know, the Vive has lenses that force you to focus as if they were further away than they really are.

If you're quite near-signed, you probably want to invest in some lens inserts from vr-lens.eu (sorry, more stuff to buy). If it's minor, it's not like the Vive has a super high resolution screen anyway.

Note also that the replacement foam I just linked you to doesn't have slits for glasses to fit into, like the original foam does. I found playing the Vive with glasses to be extremely unpleasant anyway though, and you risk scratching the lenses.

Edit: Y'know, the Vive launched a year ago... maybe we should make an actual Vive OT? We could have more useful, updated information on suggested accessories (lens inserts, waterproof foam/covers), games to try out, locomotion types, etc. It seems like the same few questions keep coming up in this thread.

(I don't have time to make one myself though, and wouldn't be the best person anyway.)

Zalusithix

Edit: Y'know, the Vive launched a year ago... maybe we should make an actual Vive OT? We could have more useful, updated information on suggested accessories (lens inserts, waterproof foam/covers), games to try out, locomotion types, etc. It seems like the same few questions keep coming up in this thread.

(I don't have time to make one myself though, and wouldn't be the best person anyway.)

Add to that the upcoming new headband, wireless, tracker pucks, etc. That said, how many people actually read the OP these days? Adoption has slowed, but I suppose it might be worth it in anticipation of a likely price drop later this year bringing more into the fold.

I am really excited to get the new deluxe audio strap. Hopefully it makes it much more comfortable.

Same here. Comfort is by far my biggest issue with the Vive.

I suspect the new strap won't fully solve the problem—there's no getting around the fact that the Vive is heavy—but if it can help, that's a huge improvement in my book.

Moondrop

Banned
Not sure if you meant it in this way, but just so you know, the Vive has lenses that force you to focus as if they were further away than they really are.

If you're quite near-signed, you probably want to invest in some lens inserts from vr-lens.eu (sorry, more stuff to buy). If it's minor, it's not like the Vive has a super high resolution screen anyway.

Note also that the replacement foam I just linked you to doesn't have slits for glasses to fit into, like the original foam does. I found playing the Vive with glasses to be extremely unpleasant anyway though, and you risk scratching the lenses.
I just meant I hoped to be able to use the Vive without my glasses. But who knows until I'm inside?

That said, how many people actually read the OP these days?
It's a pretty solid OP. Love that Vive room setup video.

there's no getting around the fact that the Vive is heavy
Suspend it from an overhead rigging to offset the weight. ;)

Suspend it from an overhead rigging to offset the weight. ;)
As someone who spent countless hours trying to do this myself, I was never able to achieve something that worked better than simply getting used to the cable. Maybe if I had a smaller play space... but yeah, more trouble than it's worth, and a bit of an eyesore if you have it in your main area.

Zalusithix

It's a pretty solid OP. Love that Vive room setup video.

The OP was solid. It's out of date though and missing lots of information on platform developments and is even flat out wrong in some things.

IE:
Q: Can you play VR games from the Rift on VIVE?
A: No not as of yet. Hopefully this will be resolved in the future.
The answer should be something along the lines of:
A: The Vive is not officially supported by Oculus Home, but by using the Revive compatibility layer for SteamVR, you can play many Oculus Rift exclusive games. Please check the compatibility list to see which Oculus games are supported by Revive.

How comfortable is the Vive for people with glasses?

Glasses vs no glasses comfort on the Vive is pretty much the same thing unless you're wearing really wide frames. Wearing glasses with the Vive tends to be more of a convenience issue than a comfort one as it makes getting the headset on and off a bit more involved. You need to pull the headset further off the face when sliding it on or off, and you'll still manage to brush your glasses with the foam every once in a while which will leave an oil smear requiring you to break out a microfiber cloth.

taco543

The OP *was* solid. It's out of date though and missing lots of information on platform developments and is even flat out wrong in some things.

IE:

Glasses vs no glasses comfort on the Vive is pretty much the same thing unless you're wearing really wide frames. Wearing glasses with the Vive tends to be more of a convenience issue than a comfort one as it makes getting the headset on and off a bit more involved. You need to pull the headset further off the face when sliding it on or off, and you'll still manage to brush your glasses with the foam every once in a while which will leave an oil smear requiring you to break out a microfiber cloth.

Yeah I kinda disappeared off the VR scene lol, if there's any other updates let me know and I'll fix em asap

catabarez

The OP was solid. It's out of date though and missing lots of information on platform developments and is even flat out wrong in some things.

IE:

Alright that's not so bad then. I may actually get one of these soon.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The OP's held up pretty well, all things considered. The tracking pucks are such a specialty thing at this point I'm not sure it's worth including.

New stuff (just add at the bottom?):

VIVE DELUXE AUDIO STRAP
available starting June 6 at Vive.com and Vive retailers
$99.99 (€119.99, £99.99, ¥799.00)
- Easy-to-use size adjustment dial and hard-sided construction
- Integrated on-ear headphones with height and angle adjustment
- Improved weight distribution and cable management
yKjoGSe.png

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am considering getting the vive tracker for mix reality recording. But yah I will suggest waiting it out to see how much support it gets.

I will definitely be getting the deluxe audio strap though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom