• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No, the only real differences are a few grams of weight savings and a round 3 in one cable vs a 3 part ribbon cable. Oh, and the newer one comes in a smaller box.

And though it won't make as big a dif as the new cable and lighter headset the lighthouses are slightly different.

derFeef

Payday 2 VR trailer! Cross play with non-VR PC players. Seems to be the full game. DLC and characters carry over. Beta sometime in 2017.

EDIT: Made a thread about it.

My thoughts.

That's quite interesting but damn I can't iamgine playing this hectic game in VR at all, especially with trackpad movement. Maybe an exlusive VR group could work with a lowered difficulty, but not cross play.

So I am interested, but I have my doubts.
We should form a VR heist group :D

Paganmoon

So I spent 40 or so minutes with Batman Arkham VR yesterday, and it was pretty good. Didn't like the belt sort of hovering around you and being seethrough.
The moment you put on the batcowl and look yourself in the mirror though, damn, the prescense of looking "yourself" in the eyes in VR. Even though the bat was all scowls I was grining like a madman, and that was still ok :)

Really looking forward to getting home and continueing the session.

Edit: the "cutscenes" or lack thereof really, is a bit annoying though, you only get audio, Could've been done with having a locked view, seeing the city or something while the bat travels around.

Wardancer

Neo Member
I can, but I think there is some audio lag then. Can anyone confirm or debunk?

I only use the USB audio and haven't noticed any lag, not that it means much because i tend to not notice heh.

Payday 2 VR trailer! Cross play with non-VR PC players. Seems to be the full game. DLC and characters carry over. Beta sometime in 2017.

EDIT: Made a thread about it.

My first thought when I saw that is that weapon interactions looks pretty poor, all weapons seems to be 1h only, even the rifles which removes all "weapon feel" from them. This is my biggest gripe with most of the Oculus funded games and other higher budget and/or vr-mods. Using 2 hands to hold a rifle or a bigger weapon makes it feel a lot more like actually shooting and moving with a rifle.

But pretty damn sweet that its crossplay so the playercount will be fine.

GeoGonzo

Edit: the "cutscenes" or lack thereof really, is a bit annoying though, you only get audio, Could've been done with having a locked view, seeing the city or something while the bat travels around.

I think those may also be there to mask the loading of a new zone. It likely took longer on console too.

derFeef

It's a procedurally generated campaign, that's not really a selling point for me for that price. It may play and look good, but those things usually end in a grind-to-unlock fest and not sure that's a "full fledged game" - at least not in my eyes. I will give it a shot tho, maybe I am wrong.

Tain

I've been skipping on the PSVR version waiting for a PC release. The demo was a lot of fun so I'll probably grab this.

Something I was wondering about: If the TPCast is able to work because it uses different spectrum than conventional wifi/Bluetooth... how exactly is that legal? Do they have to buy a license, and won't that be prohibitively expensive? Or is the spectrum left open for consumer use a la 2.4Ghz? If the latter, why does nothing else use it?

Zalusithix

Something I was wondering about: If the TPCast is able to work because it uses different spectrum than conventional wifi/Bluetooth... how exactly is that legal? Do they have to buy a license, and won't that be prohibitively expensive? Or is the spectrum left open for consumer use a la 2.4Ghz? If the latter, why does nothing else use it?

It's like traditional WiFi in that sense; they don't have to purchase spectrum to be able to use the specific bands being used. The reason nothing else uses the spectrum (beyond the tech being relatively new) is because millimeter waves, particularly those in the 50-60GHz+ range are nearly useless outside of LOS operations. They get blocked by just about everything (but can be reflected off of surfaces). This is why the connection breaks if you cup your hands around the receiver. As such the tech would be useless for say WiFi in the house. Even outside with LOS, the signal can be greatly attenuated by rain and snow, and will be one of the challenges of deploying 5G wireless networks.

I just finished The Solus Project... I'm very impressed by what I experienced in the 17 hours it took me to get through the game.
This is easily one of the most awesome exploration games I have ever played. The game was light on the survival mechanics, I didn't change the difficulty, I could imagine it can be a challenge on higher difficulties but I solely played this for the exploration aspect and the theme of the game was right down up my alley.

The weather and some of what is going on in the story... there were moments where I was speechless and a lot of it was because it felt like I had discovered these things like a real person would that was stranded on an alien planet.
Felt like old exploration favorites of mine in moments, original Tomb Raider finding the Colosseum and the Pyramid and exploring Oblivion/Skyrim for the first time.

No superpowers, no heroic gunfights with aliens ala Halo co, it was just me on a planet trying to survive and exploring the environment.

Simply awesome.
The only downside is the antialiasing, my 980ti was not able to downsample this in VR and keep the game VR friendly, the ingame AA solution blurs the image to hell. If you can get rid of the aliasing in this game then I imagine that some of what you will see will be even more impressive than it was to me.
One of the best VR games I have played to date.
(I think this game can be played outside of VR but why would you if you have the choice to experience it in VR?)

Isn't there a super-duper version of the game coming out which includes all the DLC? If I buy now am I missing out, or will I get that stuff too once the super duper version is out?
The DLC is also 85% off right now so in combination with this, I doubt the ultimate pack will be cheaper. Who knows though. There's a lot of DLC.

nomis

if there's anyone out there who's been on the fence about upgrading to a 3-in-1 vive cable, i wholeheartedly recommend doing it. sooooo much infinitely better. it's going to be a perfect match for the new solid headband that comes with the premium phones in june.

low-G

Ough that price seems a bit steep.

Game has a LOT of content though. Full campaign, lots of levels, lots of enemies, extras, tons of unlockable tanks, lots of weapons and unlockable weapons.

Arguably more content than 99% of VR games.

I think it's great anyways.

catabarez

Does Amazon sell the newer revision? I'm just mainly hoping for the new 3 in 1 cable to come with mine so I don't have to rebuy one. Probably a toss up huh?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Does Amazon sell the newer revision? I'm just mainly hoping for the new 3 in 1 cable to come with mine so I don't have to rebuy one. Probably a toss up huh?
I bought mine on Amazon about 3 weeks ago and got the newest freshest everything.

catabarez

I bought mine on Amazon about 3 weeks ago and got the newest freshest everything.

Alright sweet. I bought mine via their Warehouse Deals and it's in Like New condition so I'm hoping it's just a slightly banged up box.

On another note: why no 2-day shipping on the Vive?? The rest of my stuff will be here like a week before the Vive does!

derFeef

Game has a LOT of content though. Full campaign, lots of levels, lots of enemies, extras, tons of unlockable tanks, lots of weapons and unlockable weapons.

Arguably more content than 99% of VR games.

I think it's great anyways.

I will give it a shot :)

Dumb question:

Can you switch left and right controller on the fly inside a game by going into the steam overlay and changing that inside a menu?

Some games act strange in some parts if you don't start steam VR exactly the way you did when you've played the game last time, have the same controllers in your hands you had the last time. In the hub and Steam everything is normal but in a game suddenly your left hand is your right hand (The Solus Project/Bullet Sorrow) or you can't use an interface (searching for youtube videos inside Sound Boxing or Audioshield, you still can open up the virtual k-board but you can't press any buttons, have to use the other controller for that)

I know I can just swap controllers with my real hands, and I do. But I prefer one controller over the other, one controller I only want to use with my right hand (the trigger is still a bit squeaky on my left controller) so a software solution would be prefered.

-

The resurrected Half Life 2: VR mod is now on Steam Greenlight.

Thanks for the heads-up, I really look forward to that!

derFeef

Serious Sam VR Arcadia update coming soon.
Curious what they mean with "Gameplay is shaping up real nice" - maybe they are making some changes?

giphy.gif

Yes, I think they already showed both off working together.

Nice!

I might be missing something but are the only options for locomotion in Serious Sam 2 the teleportation and the clicking the trackpad buttons to move incrementally?

I am asking cause I thought I had seen some videos with smooth movement.

Cheers

derFeef

I might be missing something but are the only options for locomotion in Serious Sam 2 the teleportation and the clicking the trackpad buttons to move incrementally?

I am asking cause I thought I had seen some videos with smooth movement.

Cheers

I think you have to go to the advanced control options, but there is an option for almost everything in that games, including trackpad motion.
One of the best games in terms of options for sure, love Croteam.

Paganmoon

Tried out a bit of BattleZone yesterday, was fun, but I think after almost 2 years of anticipation (having tried it on PSVR back in 2015), I sort of overhyped it for myself. Still fun, but I had a better time with Batman Arkham VR (played them back to back).

Though I did notice some slight nausea after playing Battlezone, could've been something that made the experience, less fun. So figured I'd try ginger, which some say helps. Got some ginger tea, and holy shit, how can people drink this?

cakefoo

Tried out a bit of BattleZone yesterday, was fun, but I think after almost 2 years of anticipation (having tried it on PSVR back in 2015), I sort of overhyped it for myself. Still fun, but I had a better time with Batman Arkham VR (played them back to back).

Though I did notice some slight nausea after playing Battlezone, could've been something that made the experience, less fun. So figured I'd try ginger, which some say helps. Got some ginger tea, and holy shit, how can people drink this?
You should get candy. Gin Gins are good and dont weigh you down like hot water.

I think that I would probably like trackpad movement if instead of just being full on analog movement, it instead just periodically clicked you forward about a half foot, with a "ghost" moving along the path. So you still control your character the same, you just blink in intervals instead of sliding.

Is that how Pavlov does it? Or is it done by choosing a destination ala teleportation, and then periodically blink towards it?

Paganmoon

You should get candy. Gin Gins are good and dont weigh you down like hot water.

Don't have those here. And it's not about getting "weighed down" with the tea, it's just that ginger tastes awful if not in other types of food apparently. :)

Does the Vive still come with games? I ended up getting mine from a store but I haven't opened it yet.

If they do, you should get the codes from the store you bought them, I got mine e-mailed to me when I bought mine last year.

cakefoo

Don't have those here. And it's not about getting "weighed down" with the tea, it's just that ginger tastes awful if not in other types of food apparently. :)
Any ginger candy should work and taste pretty much the same as Gin Gins :)
Gotcha. Looked in to it and I believe future DLC will be free for everyone actually.
That would be awesome if true. I jumped on the $5 deal for PD2 last night.

catabarez

If they do, you should get the codes from the store you bought them, I got mine e-mailed to me when I bought mine last year.

I didn't get anything unless it's on the receipt. Has anyone gotten game codes from Fry's Electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom