• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Does the Vive still come with games? I ended up getting mine from a store but I haven't opened it yet.
I got mine and it only came with viveport codes which I did not use because it's supposed to be an awful service.

Anyhow, I bought that bundle for 4 bucks. Seems neat. Had a good time with that bundlestar 10 games for 5 bucks bundle. Those games were seriously janky but fun.

catabarez

I got mine and it only came with viveport codes which I did not use because it's supposed to be an awful service.

Anyhow, I bought that bundle for 4 bucks. Seems neat. Had a good time with that bundlestar 10 games for 5 bucks bundle. Those games were seriously janky but fun.

Thanks!

Are there any decent lens protectors for this?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks!

Are there any decent lens protectors for this?
Hmm like to use while you play or while you store it? I use this little linen cushion I had lying around and press it into the face mask when I'm not playing so nothing gets inside.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
http://store.steampowered.com/app/555050/Racket_Fury_Table_Tennis_VR/
Racket Fury Table Tennis is having its last call for beta tester

Its some sci fi table tennis game
linkfilter
linkfilter

collige

Banned
Has anyone had issues with burn in? I think my screen has developed some in the right eye as a result of having it plugged in when running macOS. Apparent, it's been just displaying by wallpaper constantly as a 3rd monitor without me realizing it. The issue manifesting as some light brown splotches when I'm in VR, more noticeable when I'm looking at bright areas. Is there any way to get rid of it?

Durante

Has anyone had issues with burn in? I think my screen has developed some in the right eye as a result of having it plugged in when running macOS. Apparent, it's been just displaying by wallpaper constantly as a 3rd monitor without me realizing it. The issue manifesting as some light brown splotches when I'm in VR, more noticeable when I'm looking at bright areas. Is there any way to get rid of it?
I haven't had any issues with burn in, but I've also never had the HMD display anything other than VR content.

If your idea about what caused it is accurate, you could try to invert your wallpaper and have it display that for a while.

kinggroin

Banned
Battlezone is awesome, but not worth the higher price on Vive. I'm pretty upset that supersampling only yeilded a minor visual bump in clarity (1.5) and I lost a lot of performance too. My PC is decent (1070gtx 6600k) so wtf. Ended up leaving everything on ultra at 1.0

Reminds me of the engine used for Tomb Raider 2 in that no matter what you do you can't get rid of shimmering. Everything always feels low resolution.

chekhonte

what are the must know things about the vive? I got one in a trade and don't really know much about it. I got it hooked up and running but the only game I have that's compatible is project cars.

What are some must play games or software that I should know about?

I know about revive and vorpx but haven't used them yet though I'm interested in trying alien isolation.

low-G

Battlezone is awesome, but not worth the higher price on Vive. I'm pretty upset that supersampling only yeilded a minor visual bump in clarity (1.5) and I lost a lot of performance too. My PC is decent (1070gtx 6600k) so wtf. Ended up leaving everything on ultra at 1.0

Reminds me of the engine used for Tomb Raider 2 in that no matter what you do you can't get rid of shimmering. Everything always feels low resolution.

if you turn off the (seemingly post processed) AA you'll see a big difference between 1.0 and higher SS. The AA blurs out the whole image pretty strongly.

I did notice that having any SS at all is a large performance hit (but that's not unusual)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Getting the itch to try Pavlov since there are counterstrike maps in it. But I'm a little iffy on actually being able to find matches.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OMG I haven't played SPT since Wednesday or Tuesday. Man that game is sublime. Perfection. My compliments to the chef.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Getting the itch to try Pavlov since there are counterstrike maps in it. But I'm a little iffy on actually being able to find matches.

Currently Pavlov usually has some 40 people online with peaks up to 80, so finding games should not be particularly hard during primetime especially not if you are based in the US. The biggest problem is getting people to play something other than TDM because search and destroy is apparently too complicated. But its a cheap game and it has bots if you want to test it out before going online.

This might be obvious but are you still under warranty? As bad as HTC support is known for being, I would definitely go that route, since it should pretty clearly be covered.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I love my Vive, but I haven't been able to use it in more than a week. I've run into compositor issues before, but I've always been able to fix it. It just seems like there isn't a lot of help out there. When I'm in direct mode, I get the 'IPC compositor not found' message, and the screen in the Vive headset is off.
When I disable direct mode, I get a message saying my headset is not connected properly, but the screen in the Vive headset is on, showing a small, cross eyed section of my desktop.
Has anyone experienced this and been able to fix it? It's so frustrating to spend so much money on something that just doesn't work.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely have a noobie confession to make.

I just learned last night that the bat thing in Space Pirate Trainer is also a grappling hook for the enemies. I love the game and have played it a lot but I just didn't know that. And holy shit. The game is so much more engaging that I knew.

I already loved the game. But being able to lasso the drones is just... I describe the game to friends as Duck Hunt. But its a true combat game. I get fucking angry when I play it know. I want to destroy.

asker

Has anyone experienced this and been able to fix it? It's so frustrating to spend so much money on something that just doesn't work.

Not me but my friend had the exact same issue. He could never get computer to detect the HMD when using a DisplayPort cable. As soon as he switched to a compatible HDMI cable it worked flawlessly.

Zalusithix

Definitely have a noobie confession to make.

I just learned last night that the bat thing in Space Pirate Trainer is also a grappling hook for the enemies. I love the game and have played it a lot but I just didn't know that. And holy shit. The game is so much more engaging that I knew.

I already loved the game. But being able to lasso the drones is just... I describe the game to friends as Duck Hunt. But its a true combat game. I get fucking angry when I play it know. I want to destroy.

You know the shields can fire pulses too right? =P

Tried Wildlands last night, woah! I am vr sick immune so I turned off all the aids and stuff, it's intense for sure but so cool. The movement is so fast and feels like I am soaring. We need a Spider-Man game like this.

Started playing Conductor today... the setting was a nice surprise and you do more than just handling a small train, but it's really fun shoveling coal into the tank and igniting it with a match... really satisfying!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OMG SVRVIVE The Deus Helix is all sorts of hilarious with its sci-fi "story" but the puzzle rooms are quite decent. The first one was anyway, haven't played any further. Good fun. Quite a shock when
the cockroaches come out of the vent you unscrew!

Almost turned it off before the game even started but I'm gladness I didn't. There were some neat aha moments.

I didn't see a thread posted yet but someone can make it if they think it's worthwhile, Gearbox has hired 16 students from the SMU Guildhall, a Texas-based university specializing in videogame development to work on an unannounced VR game

I fear that posting a thread about GAF's 2 mortal enemies, Gearbox and VR would cause the entire site to crash from the amount of vitriolic shitposts

¯_(ツ)_/¯

That sure gets me excited! I love me some gearbox.

Tain

I didn't see a thread posted yet but someone can make it if they think it's worthwhile, Gearbox has hired 16 students from the SMU Guildhall, a Texas-based university specializing in videogame development to work on an unannounced VR game

I fear that posting a thread about GAF's 2 mortal enemies, Gearbox and VR would cause the entire site to crash from the amount of vitriolic shitposts

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hate Gearbox but love larger-scale VR games so I'm extremely conflicted.

dsk1210

I love my Vive, but I haven't been able to use it in more than a week. I've run into compositor issues before, but I've always been able to fix it. It just seems like there isn't a lot of help out there. When I'm in direct mode, I get the 'IPC compositor not found' message, and the screen in the Vive headset is off.

When I disable direct mode, I get a message saying my headset is not connected properly, but the screen in the Vive headset is on, showing a small, cross eyed section of my desktop.

My mate had the exact same problem, I rolled his nvidia drivers back to a version from February and that fixed it.

Tainted

Anyone here played around with New Retro Arcade: Neon much ?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/465780/New_Retro_Arcade_Neon

I downloaded a free test version of this a while back when it didn't have the Neon suffix. When I tried it on my Vive recently it had alot of issues (mainly it not detecting the floor level properly and being 10foot tall) ... I am assuming that issue is fixed now.

Anyone have this and can post their thoughts ? I never got around to installing more ROMs for it...but it does seem like a neat idea.

low-G

I downloaded a free test version of this a while back when it didn't have the Neon suffix. When I tried it on my Vive recently it had alot of issues (mainly it not detecting the floor level properly and being 10foot tall) ... I am assuming that issue is fixed now.

Anyone have this and can post their thoughts ? I never got around to installing more ROMs for it...but it does seem like a neat idea.

Cool for little nostalgic hits. Very nice visuals. Best looking foodstuffs in VR.

I set up a full arcade of ROMs and linked up VHS tapes for TMNT & Captain N episodes.

Definitely gives me the feels. But it's so vivid I wish I could just flop on those leather couches. Now that would be virtually real.

Biggest issue: (I play on Oculus), not nearly enough buttons on the touch controllers to play a lot of these arcade games. I can pick up my X1 controller to play but that's a little awkward.

Tain

I love the concept of emulating games in VR, but the arcade in New Retro Arcade Neon doesn't do a lot for me.

I've wanted to carve out some time and figure out how to hook up libretro stuff into UE4 on my own so I can make sleek minimal game emulation environments, with game boxes and fully scanned manuals and so on.

Tainted

Cool for little nostalgic hits. Very nice visuals. Best looking foodstuffs in VR.

I set up a full arcade of ROMs and linked up VHS tapes for TMNT & Captain N episodes.

Definitely gives me the feels. But it's so vivid I wish I could just flop on those leather couches. Now that would be virtually real.

Biggest issue: (I play on Oculus), not nearly enough buttons on the touch controllers to play a lot of these arcade games. I can pick up my X1 controller to play but that's a little awkward.

Thanks for this. I might pick it up one day then, I have a healthy collection of ROMs already I should be able to chuck in there if supports them.

I'd love to see a multiplayer addtion to this a la Rec Room where you see others in the arcade playing stuff as well....but I'm sure that would require alot of resources to process simultaneous ROMs rendered from multiple view angles

Its a nice thought though :)

-edit- Wait, I just watched one of those trailers and read the steam page a little more carefully...it alraedy supports this ? Very nice...

Yeah, and Palmer Lucky is "hinting" at a "new project" that will have real life consequences like Sword Art Online. Also apparently he slept under a bridge playing PokémonGO.
http://www.roadtovr.com/palmer-luckey-post-oculus-facebook-interview-part-2/

¯_(ツ)_/¯ Indeed

Curious to see what it ends up being, though I fear it'll just be based around a gimmick that ends up falling flat. I hope it's not something where the game just deletes itself permanently if you lose or along those lines. I do hope it's MMO though, I'd love a good VR MMO.

vermadas

It's pretty awesome. There was a lot of manual work required to set things up the way you wanted, between the cabinet/cartridge art, cabinet control layouts, attract screens and music, etc... I haven't messed with it much since then, but the Steam community is great, and they have developed their own tools to manage all of that so you just have to worry about the ROMs. The Arcade Manager Add-On

It's too bad the devs never figured out how to pull off multiplayer with your own ROMs.

Tainted

Another VR bundle this time from Indie Gala, 10 titles for $4.19

https://www.indiegala.com/vr?utm_so...ampaign=VIRTUAL+REALITY+VII+BUNDLE+-+20170512

Heaven Forest NIGHTS
Above - VR
Escape Artist: The Trial
SVRVIVE: The Deus Helix
Cargo Cult: Shoot'n'Loot VR
Jupiteration
Mars Odyssey
Beach Bowling Dream VR
Copter and Sky
I Hate Santa

I picked it up but haven't played any of them yet, so I cannot attest to the quality of the bundle.

-edit- Sorry...it was posted a few pages back. A re-post then for those who missed it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom