• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real talk: If Fallout 4 VR isn't worth $60, what VR game would be?

Half Life 3

Joking aside, most of the complaints seem to be from people who already own OG Fallout 4, which I kind of understand—they really could have given existing owners an upgrade discount of some kind, even if it's just 20% off.

Half Life 3

Joking aside, most of the complaints seem to be from people who already own OG Fallout 4, which I kind of understand—they really could have given existing owners an upgrade discount of some kind, even if it was just 20% off.

Lol touche.

Anyways, I get the previous owner should get a discount complaint (and I agree with it), but if that's the actual issue I feel like people should articulate that.

Tain

I'm just not big on Bethesda's structure. The appeal of a big ol world in VR is strong, but with Doom VFR coming (as well as traditional games that I want in the form of Wolfenstein and Evil Within) I'll probably skip it.

Zalusithix

Some other stuff coming in the Summer update include:

• New maps
  • New archer class
  • Joystick locomotion
  • Move to Unreal's forward renderer!

Best part of that update. It might actually not be a shimmerfest without stupid amounts of supersampling with that change! Deferred rendering and first gen VR are just not things that go well together.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Tilted Mind is really cool and cheap
http://store.steampowered.com/app/630260/Tilted_Mind/

Only played four mazes so far, but its sorta like a giant labyrinth game where you walk across the maze and it tilts the ball. So it has you jumping around to different parts like you're acually Gordon Freeman.

Also has what is so far a well done barebones narrative that sorta feels like the beginners guide.

Also it has vive tracker support which I bet is awesome.

I'll definitely be picking up F4 and DOOM day 1 as long as they don't do something dumb like use Denuvo on them. I own 1187 total games on Steam and 205 of them are VR games yet I will never ever buy a game that uses Denuvo. I hate the idea of buying a game that includes DRM that will render my purchases useless in the future when I know for a fact that I intend to play every game I own for years and years to come.

On a side note, Transference sounds like an awesome idea and the type of VR narrative that I'd love to see more of. It reminds me of that other game The Invisible Hours where events play out in realtime and you can only be in one location at a time to try to piece together what happened.

Zalusithix

I own 1187 total games on Steam and 205 of them are VR games yet I will never ever buy a game that uses Denuvo.

Damn, even if I bought every VR game I currently have on my watch list, I'd still only have about half of that. You must have picked up just about every game that showed a remote chance of being good.

Damn, even if I bought every VR game I currently have on my watch list, I'd still only have about half of that. You must have picked up just about every game that showed a remote chance of being good.

That's exactly what I did :p later today I'll screencap my VR library and post it here in case anyone has any questions about which games I would/wouldn't recommend.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa weird. I guess my Dad is gonna come over to see the Vive.
We were gonna meet at a bar but since theres a basketball game I floated the idea of having a drinking at my house and mentioned VR and he seemed into it.

o.o

Can I launch VR games from the desktop so he won't have to navigate the menu inside the headset? I feel like that didn't work the last time I tried it.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Whoa weird. I guess my Dad is gonna come over to see the Vive.
We were gonna meet at a bar but since theres a basketball game I floated the idea of having a drinking at my house and mentioned VR and he seemed into it.

o.o

Can I launch VR games from the desktop so he won't have to navigate the menu inside the headset? I feel like that didn't work the last time I tried it.

yeah the game will launch if you launch it through steam

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That's was neat.
I had him play the whale encounter and the jellyfish migration. I think he was pretty blown away. He said the words "I'm speechless."

Zalusithix

Fuck Sony. Hate this exclusive shit, platforms are way too expensive for this.

Might as well get mad at Bethesda for agreeing to it. Takes two to tango after all, and Bethesda isn't exactly a small dev hurting for funds. I doubt it'll be exclusive forever at any rate. Just a matter of how long.

Thankfully this is an exclusive that doesn't really affect me. I only care about the FO4/Doom/Skyrim VR versions in so much as they get a wider audience taking an interest in VR. I have little intention on actually getting any of them. VR being shoe horned into a game that I wasn't interested in before VR doesn't make me desire the game any more. Similarly, VR support in a game that I've played to death doesn't make me want to replay it again (especially without mods).

GeoGonzo

That's good to know, If I hadn't played Skyrim inside and out I would jump on it becaue bow and arrow and sword and shild gameplay is way more interesting to me than shooting guns. (I'll probably buy it anyway once it's on Steam but nor for full price)
Hah, I have to agree with this. I've played hundreds of hours of Skyrim and not that much Fallout... but if I could jump into either of those games on VR -today- I'd still pick Skyrim.
Good pick for Sony. I'll wait for the PC version.

Airtone is hard on medium, lol. My brain hurts.
I'm getting A ranks on medium. Despite having quite a lot of Rhythm game experience, its taking some time to really get a feel for, but goddamn its so much fun. Its the first time I've ever gotten the kindve feeling I get from arcade rhythm games while at home.

Zalusithix

Airtone is hard on medium, lol. My brain hurts.

Medium seems very hard at first, but once you get a hang of the mechanics the songs become mostly doable. Generally speaking the beats are well matched to the tempo of the tracks at medium. At this point all but a couple songs in medium are S/SS rank for me. Those that aren't are the outliers on track levels. Like one that's level 2 on basic and level 8 on medium - talk about a steep difficulty curve!

Now hard on the other hand... While I can typically grok what I'm supposed to be doing for any given song on medium, hard is another beast. The pure density of the patterns is enough to fry my mind on trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing to actually hit them all. It's quite obvious they're designed around very specific arm positions with virtually no room for error, and figuring out those positions is hard as hell. This is compounded by no practice mode / reverse / etc, so a troublesome sequence requires playing the whole song over and over again - something that can be rather exhausting given the amount of movement needed for the game.

btw, has anyone elses steamVR and any VR game been a lot quieter max volume than it used to be? Seems like ever since the big steam home changeover I havent been able to get the volume as high as I like.

Some arcade only Vive games were announced, including Mario Kart! The Mario Kart is the arcade only version made by Bandai Namco, but it's still cool seeing a Nintendo IP on a Vive. Looks like some games shown take advantage of the puck tracker too, in Mario Kart you have a steering wheel but you can still throw shells. It'd be nice to see these games come out for home users, but I'm not sure if that'll happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDEaTlIEfwM

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Some arcade only Vive games were announced, including Mario Kart! The Mario Kart is the arcade only version made by Bandai Namco, but it's still cool seeing a Nintendo IP on a Vive. Looks like some games shown take advantage of the puck tracker too, in Mario Kart you have a steering wheel but you can still throw shells. It'd be nice to see these games come out for home users, but I'm not sure if that'll happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDEaTlIEfwM
haha that's cool as hell!
Vive trackers on the wrists too is neat.

Be a shame if that were to fall off a truck onto a USB stick. :p

I wanna go to that arcade. The bicycle hang glider thing seemed awesome.

Zalusithix

btw, has anyone elses steamVR and any VR game been a lot quieter max volume than it used to be? Seems like ever since the big steam home changeover I havent been able to get the volume as high as I like.
I don't know about that, but I did notice that Airtone seems to be lower in volume than average. Going from Airtone to Sairento last night was deafening lol.

Speaking of bugs and Airtone, it doesn't seem to quit correctly for me. It just sits perpetually in the closing application state. I have to exit SteamVR and relaunch it to play another game. It might have something to do with the beta of SteamVR, but I'm too lazy to roll back to confirm. I also can't seem to screenshot again - at least in Airtone (haven't tried others), and that was something that happened before in the beta as well.

Edit:
So. In reading the reviews on the deluxe head strap, it sounds like I need to wait for a foam padding redesign?

It's not for sale anywhere right now anyhow, so you'll have to wait for it to actually be in stock before you worry about the padding. Beyond that, while the padding issue is absolutely something that shouldn't have happened and HTC will have to make good on that fault, the strap is honestly worth it regardless. The two minutes it takes to scrub the coating off in the sink and the dry time before use is just a minor inconvenience if you know about the issue going in. After that it's just a texture change that you won't be able to notice while wearing it (unless you're bald).

SimplexPL

I noticed it too but I thought that headphones in Deluxe Audio Strap are quieter.

That's exactly what I did :p later today I'll screencap my VR library and post it here in case anyone has any questions about which games I would/wouldn't recommend.

Appreciated.

Zalusithix

I noticed it too but I thought that headphones in Deluxe Audio Strap are quieter.

Now that I think about it, if you're having a problem with the volume being too low, there's an option within SteamVR to lower the gain on the Vive headphone out, and it's enabled by default. It's only accessible outside of VR via the desktop options dialog, but if you untick that option, everything will be much louder. I wouldn't recommend it for the included earbuds or the DAS though, as both of those get plenty loud at max with the gain reduction. That setting is really for when you're using harder to drive headphones, and need more power. With the efficient ones that HTC has provided, you'll easily reach harmful volume levels.

SimplexPL

I think I have it disabled, I also thought it is for the microphone.

I think DAS are quieter than the earbuds, but it's actually better - on the earbuds I could not go above 30% volume level because it was unbearable. On DAS the whole 0-100% range is usable.

Zalusithix

I think I have it disabled, I also thought it is for the microphone.

I think DAS are quieter than the earbuds, but it's actually better - on the earbuds I could not go above 30% volume level because it was unbearable. On DAS the whole 0-100% range is usable.

UXxYjNY.png

It's not for the mic. It reduces the output gain so people don't blow their eardrums with the default buds. Even with the reduction, they could get stupidly loud. Honestly if you had that unticked, I don't even know how you managed to use the earbuds at all lol.

The headphones attached to the DAS are certainly less efficient than the earbuds, and as such they require moving the volume up higher, but in my experience they still don't need anything more than what the reduced gain can provide.

UXxYjNY.png

It's not for the mic. It reduces the output gain so people don't blow their eardrums with the default buds. Even with the reduction, they could get stupidly loud. Honestly if you had that unticked, I don't even know how you managed to use the earbuds at all lol.

The headphones attached to the DAS are certainly less efficient than the earbuds, and as such they require moving the volume up higher, but in my experience they still don't need anything more than what the reduced gain can provide.
Im using the same set of over the ear headphones I've always used, and they are noticeably quieter now than they used to be

Zalusithix

In Airtone's settings both the SFX and music volume defaults to 7 out of 10 for some reason. You can crank it up a bit.

Yeah, I vaguely remember seeing that the first time I went into the options to enable subtitles, flip the VA to JP, and set the graphics to the max. At that point though I had already adjusted the volume to what felt right in Steam, and I didn't want to have to fiddle with that again, so I just left it as is. I'll probably adjust that now though so I don't have such a large volume difference from game to game.

Im using the same set of over the ear headphones I've always used, and they are noticeably quieter now than they used to be

Anything's possible I suppose, but I wasn't playing much immediately before and after the SteamVR Home update to make a call on that. You can always roll back off of the beta and see if that restores the volume to what you expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom