• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Great, though technically it was confirmed in February :)
I know actually, but I wanted to scream anyway upon seeing it get "real" ;) -- and with what seems like full tracked controller interaction!

The Talos principle is rare in being both an amazing puzzle game and a great story/experience, and it should be a fantastic fit for VR.

Nzyme32

Bethesda, playing your timesinks in Vr is nice and all and I'm gonna let you finish, but

TALOS PRINCIPLE VR CONFIRMED

and demo'd at E3.

Yeah this is what I'm looking for. Still trying to hold off for the next SteamVR headsets, but Talos Principle VR is definitely the game I'm looking for and making me think of buying sooner rather than trying to sneak in some time with Vives at work. Having not played Talos in quite a long time, I will hold off till this comes out

I waited months before contacting HTC about my broken Lighthouse. Past my 1 year warranty. Ahahaha. Don't be me :(

5PrYGc0.png

Alexlf

I waited months before contacting HTC about my broken Lighthouse. Past my 1 year warranty. Ahahaha. Don't be me :(

I have a failing light house as well, but I'm trying to hold on till the next revision comes out... I think I'm already past my warranty so if I'm gonna need to buy a new one I may as well get the newest model.

Zalusithix

I have a failing light house as well, but I'm trying to hold on till the next revision comes out... I think I'm already past my warranty so if I'm gonna need to buy a new one I may as well get the newest model.

If by the next revision you mean the single rotor version, that's not going to work. The lighthouse 2.0 standard won't work with the sensors in the Vive. Between the single rotor and sync on beam changes, the new lighthouses require new ASICs on the receiving end that the Vive doesn't have. So unless you mean to hold off until the Vive 2 debuts, I can't say I recommend waiting.

That said, for $90, I'd still just buy a new one (current gen). The price differential would be worth it to me just to have a sacrificial one that I could open up.

Alexlf

If by the next revision you mean the single rotor version, that's not going to work. The lighthouse 2.0 standard won't work with the sensors in the Vive. Between the single rotor and sync on beam changes, the new lighthouses require new ASICs on the receiving end that the Vive doesn't have. So unless you mean to hold off until the Vive 2 debuts, I can't say I recommend waiting.

That said, for $90, I'd still just buy a new one (current gen). The price differential would be worth it to me just to have a sacrificial one that I could open up.

Well, damn :\

deadfolk

Did you hold off playing or buying?

Because if it's like the SS games, you get a stacking discount for everything you already own.

Playing. But I don't think I see a discount on the SS VR games because of owning the originals - there's only a stacking discount for owning the other VR versions.

If that's the case, and I'm not mistaken (always a possibility), then I don't see any reason to expect a discount on Talos.

Durante

Playing. But I don't think I see a discount on the SS VR games because of owning the originals - there's only a stacking discount for owning the other VR versions.
For TFE VR you should get a separate discount for owning TLH (the VR-only game) and for owning TFE HD (the original non-VR game), both of which stack. Same for TSE VR.

I do expect at least a minor discount for owning Talos Principle, because that's how Croteam roll. (Not that I'd have a problem paying full price for it!)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just realized I never beat the Talos Principle even though I was loving it. Hopefully it's the full game from the ground up, seems like a wonderful fit for VR really and I can't wait.

Intel's wireless solution looks pretty solid to me, they're not talking about weight or anything obviously but I'm psyched for big players getting into this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU5v1rlent8

SuperHot in VR is really something special guys. I am tempted to even call it the killer app for VR
It is remarkable and there looks to be more replay value than I expected. I think it was just announced for PSVR as well which is cool.

Did you hold off playing or buying?

Because if it's like the SS games, you get a stacking discount for everything you already own.
Speaking of SS/discounts, anyone wanna weigh in on the value of this? I haven't played SS since the first on Xbox which I suppose was... 2002?
oIwa2YG.png

Seems like a lot of money, but the bundle savings also seem like too much to buy them any other way. I'll probably grab it once I am really running low on new stuff to play, I still have a bunch I'm barely scratching the surface of.

the $40 price difference was not worth that, to me. opinions~
Sure, different priorities; there's no right answer. That said, outside of the disassembly / hacking aspect that a spare gives, there's also the fact that it's faster. AFAIK there's no advanced RMA for the Vive, so you have to go through the motions of sending it back, and then waiting for a return shipment. Ordering a new one gets one at your doorstep ASAP.
yeah. you mail it yourself any way you want and pay out of pocket (more costs), then they look at it and email a quote (what I posted) then you pay and get it repaired, or refuse and get it sent back for free(?)

i said opinions to say I totally get your point of view here

Zalusithix

the $40 price difference was not worth that, to me. opinions~

Sure, different priorities; there's no right answer. That said, outside of the disassembly / hacking aspect that a spare gives, there's also the fact that it's faster. AFAIK there's no advanced RMA for the Vive, so you have to go through the motions of sending it back, and then waiting for a return shipment. Ordering a new one gets one at your doorstep ASAP.

Torus Syndicate is always crashing on me in the third level on the construction side on top of the building... I like this game so far, cool artstyle which makes this stand out from all the other serious shooteing games.

But it's no use if it's always crashing... anyone got through thta game or experienced similar things?

-

Also, the new Superhot update with alternative controls makes the game far better/easier to use than before with Vive controllers! trigger to lock objects and touchpad/release to let go or throw. Works very well.

SimplexPL

I just realized I never beat the Talos Principle even though I was loving it. Hopefully it's the full game from the ground up, seems like a wonderful fit for VR really and I can't wait.

Intel's wireless solution looks pretty solid to me, they're not talking about weight or anything obviously but I'm psyched for big players getting into this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU5v1rlent8
It is remarkable and there looks to be more replay value than I expected. I think it was just announced for PSVR as well which is cool.
Speaking of SS/discounts, anyone wanna weigh in on the value of this? I haven't played SS since the first on Xbox which I suppose was... 2002?
Seems like a lot of money, but the bundle savings also seem like too much to buy them any other way. I'll probably grab it once I am really running low on new stuff to play, I still have a bunch I'm barely scratching the surface of.

Don't buy anything now. Just don't.

http://whenisthenextsteamsale.com/

Good call, didn't even think about that. If anyone spots one make sure to post here in big bold caps ;)

https://isthereanydeal.com/ - you'll get instant email notification when it goes on sale.

Tainted

oIwa2YG.png

It is really well made, but as others have said...wait for the Steam sales next week. This bundle was on sale for $67.47 only last month (which is when I picked it up) and it will no doubt get the same discount again during the sales.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Tainted

Yep, the more people to experience this the better. There are very few developers who really 'get' VR...and the ones that do like these guys deserve the support.

SimplexPL

Cool links! It's awesome that that site shows the lowest any given game has been sold for.

I was mostly kidding though- just adding a game to your Wishlist on Steam means you'll get an automatic email if it goes on sale, so far as I know.

It does, but you get the email even if a discount is symbolic (e.g. 10%). With isthereanydeal you can set your own discount percentage or game price and get notification only when it reaches that level.

deadfolk

For TFE VR you should get a separate discount for owning TLH (the VR-only game) and for owning TFE HD (the original non-VR game), both of which stack. Same for TSE VR.

I do expect at least a minor discount for owning Talos Principle, because that's how Croteam roll. (Not that I'd have a problem paying full price for it!)

I have pretty much all the non-VR games, and nada for me. Same price I see when not logged in.

Kinda wish there were more VR announcements at E3, probably accounts for most of the reason this E3 was a letdown for me. Bethesda games don't really do it for me so those announcements were meh (though I get why others are hyped). Really only Talos Principle and Transference got me excited. Moss looks cool too but it's PSVR only.

Zalusithix

Is there any word on when the Deluxe Audio Strap might be restocked?

Not that I'm aware of. My guess is that stock is being withheld while the foam issue is identified and corrected. There's no sense in HTC letting that situation get any more out of hand. Unfortunately that'll mean a longer wait for everybody that didn't get in the first batch.

Edit:
Kinda wish there were more VR announcements at E3, probably accounts for most of the reason this E3 was a letdown for me. Bethesda games don't really do it for me so those announcements were meh (though I get why others are hyped). Really only Talos Principle and Transference got me excited. Moss looks cool too but it's PSVR only.

Virtually everything I play and enjoy in VR never had an announcement at a major convention like E3. I mean, I can see if you wanted some big names, but I'm plenty happy with the random gems that pop out of nowhere like Airtone. Big names are more likely to be Rift or PSVR exclusives anyhow historically speaking.

I think there was a decent amount, but very little of it was at a press conference.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I have a feeling Vive owners will have to wait for Steam Dev Days for big announcements, assuming Valve is doing it again this year.

SimplexPL

I am counting on a discount for owners of episode 1, though if it's on big sale soon, then they will probably not do it, as almost everyone would get the discount. I paid full (or almost full) price for it, so I'd appreciate the loyalty discount.

Virtually everything I play and enjoy in VR never had an announcement at a major convention like E3. I mean, I can see if you wanted some big names, but I'm plenty happy with the random gems that pop out of nowhere like Airtone. Big names are more likely to be Rift or PSVR exclusives anyhow historically speaking.

That's true, indie games have really been the real highlights in VR content. I was really hoping Sony would show off some timed exclusives that we'd get eventually, but it seems like most games for PSVR are PC ports. I was also hoping Devolver would publish more indie VR games besides Croteam's projects. But yeah, PC gaming has never really had a big presence at E3 in general.

I think there was a decent amount, but very little of it was at a press conference.

I was probably expecting too much. The Bethesda announcements alone are huge (and taking up like 95% of Vive discussion atm), but don't do anything for me.

I have a feeling Vive owners will have to wait for Steam Dev Days for big announcements, assuming Valve is doing it again this year.

It's so far away though :(

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
valve has to announce somthing at somepoint they said this year one of the three aaa vr games they are working on is coming out although i kinda dig the idea of them not saying anything and just one day log on and see they put out like half life 3, portal 3 or left 4 dead 3 think the internet would break for a day

Played through ROM: Extraction because Torus Syndicate doesn't let me progress in level 3 :(

ROM is short, it's cool whats there... for what it is, a typical railshooter with a nice little mechanic to spice up the monotone shooting (the Orb throwing). Nice graphics, good ingame implementation of VR arms and hands.

But it's extremely short and I'm not one to hunt leaderboards so there is no real replay value for me. This is demo level length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom